It's watching - 9

It's watching

With a bag full of cleansing herbs in tow, Jimin and Jungkook reluctantly made their way back to their shared apartment. Their spirits grew heavier the closer they got to it, neither even remotely excited of stepping foot into the ever chilly space.

 

"Wanna stop and pick up some breakfast before we get home?" Jungkook broke the silence of the morning. They were the only ones strolling down the early sun lit sidewalk, only passing a stranger every now and again. Everyone in their part of town was either at work, school, or sleeping in their warm beds. A gust of frosty air pelted their small patches of exposed skin; face, neck and hands. Jungkook cursed himself for only throwing on a sweater.

 

Jimin smiled softly. If anything could cheer him up a bit, it was some warm food. "Yes." He nodded vigorously. "We need breakfast."

 

They stopped at a Burger King only a few minutes walk from their apartment building. A short wait later for their order to be prepared and another couple moments passed and they were trudging up the stairs to their front door. The same feeling came down on them immediately, that unnerving feeling of being watched.

 

Jungkook pushed his key into its keyhole, mumbling something about needing to cut Jimin a key of his own. The heavy door swung open. They crept inside, quieting their footsteps as if they were trying not to bring any attention to their arrival. Jungkook sighed, setting his bundle of keys on the small wooden table beside the door. He dropped the bag of sage next to it and brought their food to the kitchen. As he stepped over the threshold to enter, Jimin's recounting of the haunting scene that played there just a day before flashed in his mind. He shook his head and placed their breakfast on the kitchen table anyway, remembering how Jimin had also told him that they needed to be brave. It helped that he hadn't actually seen it himself.

 

Jungkook pulled a chair out and sat down. "Jimin, come here." He called into the apartment, wondering to himself why his hyung hadn't followed him into the kitchen. Jimin appeared in the entrance.

 

"You want to eat in here?" Jimin asked, observing as Jungkook pulled out their separate meal containers and placed them on the table. He pushed his foot against the chair opposite himself, nudging it out and gesturing for Jimin to come and sit.

 

"Why not?" Jungkook shrugged.

 

Jimin drew in a sharp, unsteady breath. He thought about the cabinets swinging open, the pot that had been deliberately placed in the center of the room. Jimin looked to Jungkook's expecting stare and he heaved a heavy sigh, giving in. "Fine."

 

~~~

 

"I think I could use a good nap." Jungkook had his head propped up against the palm of his hand, resting his elbow for support against the arm of the couch. His head felt as heavy as a bag of bricks and his eyelids weighed just about the same. It couldn't have been past noon, but he was so tired. He nudged Jimin awake with his free hand, restating what he'd said already.

 

A slow nod and a sleepy yawn was his only response. A nearly zombified Jimin rose from the couch, slinking his way into their bed room.

 

Jungkook picked up the remote, shutting off the Television show they hadn't even been watching. After breakfast, they had spread the odd smell of sage around their tiny apartment, making sure to fill every room for as long as they could handle it. Jungkook had been feeling a little lighter since they had finished, feeling some of the weight that had been laying on his chest drift away with the sage smoke.

 

The younger boy followed his hyung into their room. He found Jimin already curled up in his bed, fast asleep again. He must have been feeling better as well, or maybe he was just too tired to really care anymore. Jungkook chuckled and squeezed in next to his friend, letting the other loop an arm around his waist immediately. Jimin pressed into him, just like before, leaving no space between them. Jungkook pulled his trapped arm free and wedged it underneath Jimin's head. "What are you doing here again?" He whispered, not expecting any response.

 

Jimin groaned softly, circling his arm tighter around Jungkook's waist. "I don't wanna sleep on my own." His lips formed into a small pout. Jungkook couldn't help but laugh at the action, the mixture of sleepy and whiny in Jimin's voice causing a pang in his heart. He couldn't resist the urge to reach his hand to Jimin's cheek and give it a gentle squeeze. His heart fluttered.

 

Jungkook sighed, contentedly. He shouldn't find another man so cute, so undeniably cute. But sometimes, he found himself staring at Jimin, longer than what could be considered normal. Small things, like a pout or an exaggeration in Jimin's voice was enough to make his heart skip a beat. Other times, when he caught a glimpse of Jimin without a shirt, or whenever his hyung was too close, his heart beat rapidly in his chest. He was positive that these changes in heart rate were not supposed to be a part of maintaining a strong friendship.

 

He squeezed his eyes shut, breaking his own stare. He couldn't just watch him sleep, as much as he wanted to. Jungkook tried to change subjects in his mind, settling on counting sheep and trying to drift off to dream land.