It's watching - 31

It's watching

They captured a few choppy hours of sleep before Jungkook's alarm rang from his phone. He took it in his hand to quiet the noise and he turned to face Jimin on the bed. Jimin was yawning and stretching his arms above his head to wake himself up. The night had been rough, they tossed and turned and struggled to relax, almost keeping one eye open as they slept.

 

Jimin picked up his phone and noticed a new message notification on the screen. It was from the man, a bitter reminder of their plan for the day. He felt his stomach turn at the thought of meeting him. 

 

 I'm on my way. The short text read and Jimin didn't respond. They didn't know how long it would take the man to arrive, but he needed a shower to wake him so he pulled his aching muscles from the bed. "I'm going to bathe." Jimin muttered as he made his way to the bathroom and closed the door behind him.

 

Jungkook wanted to do the same. His eyes were still heavy, but maybe he could just wash his face. He reached over the bed to grab Jimin's phone and opened it to read the message. The man was really coming, he must be desperate to know what had really happened to her. He dropped the phone and rubbed his face with one of his hands and he heard the water turn on from the bathroom. Jungkook shivered as he realized he was alone and he got up from the mattress and puttered to the bathroom door, knocking gently.

 

"Can I come in?" Jungkook called through the door. He heard Jimin call back to him with acceptance and he turned the doorknob to enter. The older man was already behind the shower curtain with his clothes scattered on the floor.  Jungkook smiled. "I need to wash my face."

 

Jimin hummed. "Are you sure you're not in here because you're scared to be alone." He was teasing, but he knew he was right. Jimin felt guilty then for leaving Jungkook alone after he had promised to stay with him always. He peeked from behind the curtain when he heard the sink faucet turn on. "I'm sorry I left you."

 

Jungkook scrunched up his nose at the man and pouted. "You should feel bad." He whined, but he leaned closer to Jimin and stole a kiss from his unexpecting lips. Jungkook grinned. "Did you bring clothes?" He asked, only a few inches from Jimin's face.

 

Jimin shook his head. "I forgot them." He cursed himself inwardly for being so absent minded and changed his expression into an innocent one. "Can you get them for me?"

 

The younger groaned as he moved back to the sink and splashed cool water on his face. "Why should I be punished for your carelessness?" He grumbled, but he nodded and waved off the inevitable bickering that would proceed from his answer. "I'll get them, finish your shower."

 

Jimin disappeared behind the curtain again and he smiled where Jungkook couldn't see him. 

 

~~~

 

They finished dressing themselves for another awful day, surrounded by grief and the misfortune of others. Getting wrapped up in so much despair really showed in their tired faces as they each watched their reflections in the mirrored elevator walls. They reached the first floor and bee lined to the nearest sitting area to wait. Jimin pulled out his phone to check for any hints of the mans arrival. Nothing.

 

"Should I text him and ask him if he's close?" Jimin wondered out loud. He opened his messages and let his fingers hover above the keyboard, but then he felt Jungkook nudge him in his arm.

 

"You don't need to." Jungkook replied.

 

Jimin's eyes looked up, following Jungkook's stare to a man that had just entered the building. He was tall and clad in almost all black, with the exception of a white T-shirt under his long black wool coat. The man stopped in front of the door and brushed off some of the white specs of snow that had landed on his shoulders before he began to scan the room. His face was gloomy and worn.

 

Jungkook stood from his seat. It was obvious that the man had arrived, the features of his face giving away his identity immediately. He took a deep breath and stepped toward the man, Jongseok, and Jimin followed close behind him.

 

"It's snowing." Jungkook halted in front of the man who furrowed his eyebrows at him. He looked through the glass door to watch the tiny snowflakes flutter to the ground. It had been a while since it had snowed, what a fitting day for it to do so. Jungkook turned his attention back to the man and saw him eying his face, obviously surprised by how much they looked alike. "I'm Jungkook." He pushed out his hand for the man to take.

 

Hesitantly, the man accepted and responded in a deep voice, the same one that had spoken through the phone, "Jongseok. Tell me why I'm here."

 

Jungkook smiled. He took his hand away and dropped it to his side. "Do you want to talk here, or do you want privacy? We have a room upstairs."

 

Jongseok flicked his eyes to Jimin who stayed a short distance behind Jungkook, only close enough to hear their conversation. "Who is this?" He pointed to Jimin who cringed at his acknowledgment.

 

"My boyfriend." Jungkook snapped. He didn't care for the mans tone. He might have come off a bit too defensive he realized as he watched the mans expression. It dropped into a much more stern one in return. "Privacy or not?" Jungkook repeated his question.

 

"If you're giving me an option like that, I should expect a rather awful conversation then?" Jongseok countered. "Let's go to your room."

 

Jungkook nodded his head. They shuffled to the elevator and made their way up. The long hallway corridor was taken in silence until they settled into the room. Sunlight streamed through the curtains, giving it a cheery feel. It contradicted their emotions. 

 

"Take a seat, if you'd like." Jungkook offered, waving his hand at a set of table and chairs in the far corner of the room. The man obliged and sat down, dropping his coat from his shoulders and pulling it off. He folded the clothing across his lap and leaned his arms onto the table.

 

"Talk." Jongseok spoke, his voice loud and impatient. "This isn't my only obligation today." He clicked his tongue in annoyance.

 

Jungkook motioned for Jimin to sit on the bed, giving his boyfriend a quick and comforting smile. He made his way to the chair across from Jongseok and sat down to face him. "Well I hope you made some time for our meeting. I have a lot to say."

 

The man grimaced, but he nodded. "Just try to make it fast."

 

The younger man smiled. He hated the aura surrounding the man, it was bitter and cold. He spoke in a harsh, snappy tone and he didn't seem to mind the weight of their meeting. It was an awkward encounter, but necessary none the less. "I'll try my best." Jungkook replied sarcastically. "You remember what, who we spoke of over the phone?"

 

Jongseok leaned back in his chair. "Why else would I be here?"

 

"Mm," Jungkook muttered. "You weren't aware of her passing, that's true?"

 

The man sighed. "That's what I told you, isn't it?"

 

"Okay, I'm just going over what I gathered about you, through our brief conversation."

 

"Get on with it."

 

Jungkook pursed his lips. This man had a way of making him uncomfortable. He wished to end their conversation already and it had only just begun. "Jumi, she told me what you did."

 

Jongseok crinkled his forehead. He looked to Jimin who was twiddling his thumbs nervously on the bed. "What is it that I did?" He said, turning back to Jungkook who was watching him intently.

 

"You abandoned her."

 

Jongseok let his lips curl into a smile, eventually letting a deep chuckle sound from his belly. "What the hell does that have to do with you?" He snarled. 

 

Jungkook was surprised by his cocky demeanor, not expecting the man to be so rough. He really didn't feel anything, not even moved by the knowledge of her passing. He held no respect for Jumi and it boiled Jungkook's blood. He spoke through his teeth. "A lot."

 

The man scoffed and clicked his tongue again, bringing Jungkook's attention to his mouth. What an odd habit, an irritating one. "Elaborate for me, huh?" Jongseok challenged.

 

Jungkook leaned forward, moving closer to the man he was beginning to hate. How could he be so emotionless, could he really be living with no remorse? "You see, the problem I'm having is, you left her, but I'm the one having to deal with the aftershock of your earthquake."

 

"I'm not following."

 

"Jumi killed herself, that night you made her walk home all by herself after you left her for another woman."

 

Jongseok's eyes widened. "How could you possibly know that?"

 

"She told me."

 

He was confused. Jongseok closed his eyes. "Explain to me now, why did you wait seven years to contact me then?" 

 

"I didn't. She told me yesterday." Jungkook snapped back. He knew, in a common sense, his words sounded like gibberish. He would show the man what he meant soon enough. She would show him. He knew she was watching, he could feel her presence close. The same, eerie sensation of eyes watching him was evident in the shiver that threatened to rack his body. 

 

"You sound ridiculous. Didn't you just tell me that she died seven years ago? Do you know what you're saying?" Jongseok shook his head. "I think it's time for me to leave. I've had enough of your antics."

 

The man stood up from his seat and pulled on his coat. He nodded down at Jungkook. "Don't call me again, my number won't be the same anyway. It was not a pleasure to meet you." Jongseok made his way to the hotel door. He was ready to leave and never look back, the same way he had done with Jumi. He had successfully forgotten about her existence, only for her to come back again and waste his time. He pushed down the door handle, but it didn't move.

 

"Why is this door locked?" Jongseok grumbled as he looked up at the turn lock on the door. Unlocked. He tried the handle again.

 

Jungkook shuffled to Jimin's side, gripping the man around the waist. His tone was morbid as he whispered into the shorter mans ear. "She's here."