It's watching - 8

It's watching

The two sat in silence, thinking to themselves about their next choice of action. Jimin patted his hot cheeks with his cool fingers. He sniffled a few times and cleared his throat again. The room was quiet, oddly so. The silence was deafening, but he appreciated it after his most recent encounter. Jimin rubbed at his eyes, trying to keep the sleep from them. He just wanted to go back to sleep, but he knew that wasn't going to happen.

 

Jungkook raised his head from the bed, clearing his throat as he looked to Jimin. "What should we do?" 

 

"What can we do?" Jimin responded and pulled the blankets off of himself, revealing his red and black plaid pajama pants. He pulled his knees up to his chest and tightly wrapped his arms around them. "I think we are the ones at a disadvantage here. We can't exactly fight paranormal beings." He flinched as the words came from his mouth, he wasn't supposed to believe in the after life. He hadn't ever bought into ghost stories, or seen anything before to attribute to their existence. Until now. Until this apartment. Until he lived in it. Jimin silently wondered if he was just going crazy.

 

"I can't afford to move." Jungkook spoke his thoughts. "I don't know if we have any other option than calling a paranormal investigator or a priest. Maybe we should get this apartment cleansed."

 

Jimin shook his head. "No." He disagreed. "Either of those options sound equally ridiculous. I've seen movies, shows, they never work." He placed his chin on his knees and hummed, thinking of a better solution to their ever growing problem. Rather, though, it was his problem now. Jungkook had been dodging every encounter since the moment he had asked to move in. "I think it feeds on fear, whatever is here. We just need to be braver and maybe it will go away. No need for those expensive, useless paranormal investigators."

 

Jungkook scoffed. "It feeds on fear?" He chuckled softly, shaking his head mockingly. "You're the one that saw the kitchen, the cabinets open, the pot. You weren't scared before that happened."

 

"Yeah," Jimin started. "But when I saw the mess it had made after, I was scared. I think that provokes it. Fear. Fear makes it continue these... Antics."

 

Jungkook pursed his lips, understanding a bit more of Jimin's explanation. "Okay," he agreed, nodding this time. "Maybe. It's possible." Jungkook moved to sit back against the headboard like Jimin, crossing his legs Indian style in front of him. He pressed his right elbow into his knee, letting his head drop down into his cupped hand. His eyes flicked back towards the door. "I still think we should buy some sage or something. We can try and cleanse the apartment ourselves."

 

Jimin nodded. He reached to pick up his phone on the nightstand situated between their beds. He turned it on, the current time showing it to be 5:21 A.M. Jimin sighed and placed it back down where he'd gotten it. He turned to his friend and half smiled. "Well, I don't know about you, but I think I'm going to give up on sleep for now."

 

The younger of the two nodded his response. Jungkook stretched his arms high above his head and grunted as his tired muscles awakened. He dropped them back down and yawned. "Yeah. I don't think I'll ever sleep again in this room." Jungkook chuckled. He was almost serious.

 

Jimin laughed, for the first time in a while. He was surprised he even knew how to anymore. The past day had really taken a toll on him, mentally and physically. "We should go now." He mumbled. "I really need to get out of here anyway."

 

Jungkook grimaced hearing his friends words. He hated that Jimin felt so uneasy in the apartment. They both could use a break from the constant feeling of being watched, so he moved off of the bed to get dressed. "Yeah. Stores should be opening up soon anyway. Let's get ready." His aching muscles screamed as he pulled open his dresser drawer, rummaging for something to throw on. His eyelids were heavy, but he tried to shake off the thoughts about climbing back into his bed. "Let's pick up some coffee on the way." He heard Jimin hum in agreement.

 

~~~

 

They had been walking for about twenty minutes, enjoying the chilly morning air as it nipped at their noses. They had decided that walking would be better for them, the cold would wake them up and driving while suffering from sleep deprivation was completely unsafe. Jimin clutched his warm coffee in both of his hands, letting it warm them. He was thankful that the coffee shop,  a short five minute walk from their apartment, opened early. He took a small sip from the cup, trying to savor the warmth it offered.

 

"It's coming up on the right." Jungkook spoke, taking Jimin from his own thoughts. "I really hope they have the heat on inside." 

 

Jimin chuckled. "If they don't, I'm suing."

 

They reached their destination a moment later, what appeared to be a small crystal shop. Blue and green and purple glistening stones shimmered in the window. Jimin smiled softly. Shiny things attracted him and just a short glance at the pretty rocks lifted his sour mood. He suddenly felt free from the binds of their apartment and all the mysterious and unexplainable situations that went on in it. A small bell dinged as they pushed open the glass door to enter.

 

A small framed black haired woman lifted her head as they headed towards the counter. She smiled brightly at them, greeting them both with a friendly, "Welcome.". Jungkook smiled back just as brightly.

 

"What can I help you with today?" The woman asked. She closed a book she had been reading before, pushing it to the right of her across the counter. A large array of beautiful crystals and rocks sparkled from the glass case she leaned against.

 

Jungkook responded. "Yes, um." He struggled to speak for a moment, not known for being very capable of talking to strangers.

 

Jimin jumped in to help him, trying to save them from an awkward situation. "Sage." He muttered, nodding. "We are looking to buy some sage."

 

"Ah." The woman smiled again. She nodded back at them and held up one finger, gesturing for them to wait. She left for a brief moment, appearing again with a few bundles of plastic wrapped herbs. "How much did you want to buy?" She inquired, setting the small heap on the glass counter in front of them.

 

Jimin smiled at her. "Do you have any more than this?"