It's watching - 14

It's watching

Jungkook kept his eyes averted from Jimin's stare. A heavy wave of dread and regret quickly settled on him, realizing that he had backed himself into a corner because of his emotionally fuzzy mindset, causing him to make a snap judgement. Confessing his feelings for Jimin, to Jimin, was never something he planned on doing. He knew that containing his crush, or whatever it had become, was the only option he ever felt like he had. To be trapped in a situation now where he was forced to be honest about the years of stealing secret glances at his friend was not something he ever intended on. Jungkook didn't know how to start.

 

"Just tell me, Kookie." Jimin's calming tone and cool soothing hands on his hot tear stricken face helped to slow Jungkook's racing heart.

 

The younger of the two inhaled sharply. He met Jimin's expecting eyes. "I can't fall in love with someone, because I'm already in love." He muttered, reaching up to take Jimin's hands from his face. He gently lowered their hands and placed Jimin's by his own side. He made two fists, nervously clenching and releasing them. "I think I'm in love with somebody." He finished.

 

Jimin's lips parted in surprise. He hadn't expected those words, a confession. Of all the years he had known Jungkook, the slightest interest in another person had never been apparent. Jungkook being secretly in love with somebody had never once crossed his realm of thought. He immediately became curious and questions circled in his mind.  Who is it? Why haven't you told me this before? How long have you felt this way? Jimin knew he couldn't pelt his friend with everything at once, so he decided on just asking him one question. The first question. The most important one.

 

"Who is it?"

 

Jungkook's eyes lowered again, watching the tiles on the kitchen floor. The question he was most afraid of had been asked and he was not prepared to answer it. He had come this far, already called it love. How long could he expect to live with Jimin before Jimin discovered the truth on his own? Another month? A measly week? There was no need to stretch out whatever time he had left with his best friend. Jimin was always his best friend and they had been that way for years. It would hurt to lose him, but it would hurt even more knowing that instead of giving him the truth, right then and there, he had made Jimin work for it, resenting him even more.

 

Again, Jungkook was trapped between a rock and a hard place. He had no way out. Even if he lied, Jimin would eventually figure it out. His heart picked up its pace once more, beating hard in his chest. There was nothing left to do, but answer that question.

 

"This is why you're going to hate me." Jungkook whispered. The air was still and tense around them. Jimin expressed his disbelief in his expression, but he remained silent, waiting. Jungkook swallowed, hard.

 

"It's you."

 

The words filled the tiny kitchen. Popping sounds sealed up the cracks in the silence that came after Jungkook's unwilling confession, their forgotten meal still cooking on the stove. They didn't move to check on it, staying as still as two statues in a museum. Jimin stared at the change of color in Jungkook's face, the younger mans cheeks flushing even redder than they had been before. Jungkook didn't meet his stare this time, continuing to make eye contact with the floor. 

 

The two worded confession resounded in Jimin's head. It's you. He could feel the heat rising in his own face and another round of tears welling up in his eyes. Had Jungkook really just admitted to having feelings for him? The Jungkook, his best friend, who he had been keeping the same secret from? Jimin didn't know what to say, what to do. He didn't reach his hand up to wipe away the tears that streaked down his cheeks. He didn't turn to toss the food in the pan behind him. He watched. He watched Jungkook's lip quiver slightly. He watched Jungkook's eyelashes rise and fall as he blinked.

 

Jimin cleared his throat then, finally lifting a shaky hand up to push away the wetness on his face and the tears that followed. He took a breath to steady his voice before speaking again. "You're in love with me?"

 

Jungkook winced at the new question before him. The words sounded so sharp, so painful to hear. He closed his eyes and nodded his head. It was the only response he could offer now. He didn't want to see Jimin's expression, the disgust, the resentment. He just wanted to retreat to his bed and sleep it away. Jungkook was about to excuse himself, beginning to mumble a soft apology, when the cool hand returned to his face, resting under his chin.

 

Jimin gently pushed up Jungkook's chin until his friends face was angled towards his own. "Open your eyes." Jimin whispered.