things you said with too many miles between us

things you said

I managed to survive the first week in America. There was a lot I had to get used to, including communicating in English and living alone.

I smiled softly as my phone rang.

"Hey."

"Can I fly there?"

I sighed softly, unable to stop my lips from rising. Everyone had a sharper tone here, perhaps it's the language, but Minwoo's voice always made me feel so cosy.

"If you want to."

"On second thoughts, you should be flying here." I could see him pout, leaning his face against his palm in slight annoyance. "How's today?"

"I just woke up a while ago, you know. But same old. Looking forward to your calls the most."

"You should be calling me!" He huffed.

"Well, we agreed on no international calls before I left but you're calling daily." I chuckled, pressing my phone against my shoulder while I made some morning coffee. "Are you getting ready to sleep?"

"Old man, there's no teenager in this era that sleeps at 9pm." Minwoo said, a small sigh escaping his lips. "Alright, one minute is up, I'll call you tomorrow."

I slipped in a quick goodbye, watching the phone call end and his face appear once more on my home screen.

I'm not sure if these phone calls make me miss him more. I shook away the thought and got ready for work once more.

-

"Are you eating right?"

"Yep, heading for dinner now."

"It's a Saturday there, right? How are you spending it?"

"Thinking of you."

"..." Minwoo took in a deep breath of air on the other side, slowly exhaling. "Are you slowly getting used to the food there?"

"I have no choice. The Korean restaurants here aren't as Korean as I thought, I'm better off eating fast food."

"Not too much fast food." He chided, then sighing again. "Talk to you tomorrow."

"Got it."

-

There's something warm and fuzzy that grows in me after every call. I watched my phone longingly, willing it to ring.

-

"It's 5am there, are you sleepy?"

"I would wake up soon anyway." I stifled a yawn, wanting to bask in this one minute that I looked forward to the most everyday.

"Is that so?" He laughed lightly. "You don't have to lie to me, you sound tired."

"Any time is a good time to talk to you."

"..." Minwoo paused. "I just had dinner."

"Was it good?"

"...could be better I guess. I have ten seconds left."

"Give me strength for the rest of the day."

"...I love you."

"I love you too."

-

I widened my eyes, leaving my laundry aside as I heard him sob.

"Minwoo?"

"I miss you."

"I miss you too." I pressed my lips together, regretful that I couldn't hold him.

"You don't get it." He cried. "I was doing so well."

"...Minwoo..."

"I tried so hard to stay positive but you had to go make your absence so obvious!"

"I-"

"I won't call you anymore. I think it makes me miss you more."

I couldn't tell him how much I wanted to hear his voice, not when I knew that I've been thinking of him more and more and losing focus at work.

"...I don't want to end this call."

"I love you so ing much, Kim Donghyun. Remember that, and come back soon." Minwoo sniffled slightly.

"Are you hanging up?"

"...I'll listen to what you have to say."

I felt my own tears falling, surprised at these sudden wave of emotions.

"...Donghyun-hyung?"

"You speak so selfishly..." I smiled softly. "I'm going to go cry my heart out that my boyfriend just dumped me."

"I didn't dump you!" Minwoo shrieked. "Where did you get that stupid thought!"

"Minwoo, I love you too. This is going to hurt me more than I realise because I've grown so accustomed to your calls, but we'll both try. I'm sorry I'm not beside you right now, and I miss you like hell." I wiped my tears roughly and laughed at myself. "You are going to have to start preparing for SATs, right?"

"...Yeah, I intend to go to university." He hummed, and I could feel him trying to be strong. "I'm going to be hot and y and people will line up for me, so you better come back as soon as possible to claim me."

"You speak like you aren't already a walking work of art."

"You better not be saying that to anyone else."

"Your faith in me is always so liberating."

"It's the last time I'll say it. I should end the call now."

"I love you."

"Tell that to my face."

I sighed softly, waiting in silence to hear him end the call.

"...I love you."

-

I actually have no time to write so thank goodness for stock chapters XD
This is prompt #12 so we're kinda halfway done +_+