things you said too quietly

things you said

I had some work to settle on-the-go as it was midway into the school semester - namely, 2 projects. Busily texting ideas because it just seems like a better use of time, I tried to use my peripheral vision to guide my way forward.

I was thinking that we should stick closely to the rubrics and generate ideas from there. The

I felt an impact, but not enough to knock me over. Standing firm, I locked my phone in a hurry when I realised the other party didn't have my balance.

"Are you okay?" I offered my hand, but the other ignored it in favour of gathering his belongings.

Squatting down to help him, I gathered his files while he was more interested in making sure his loose papers weren't messed up.

I heard a soft murmur. Hurriedly removing my earphones, I turned to him with a small apologetic smile. "Sorry about that."

"...'ay."

"...sorry?"

"...'kay."

"Ah, you mean it's okay?" I tried smiling. This boy was so soft-spoken.

Or am I intimidating?

He nodded nervously, then staring at his files that were in my arms intently. Cutely looking down at his own hands, and then back at my arms, he pressed his lips together as he contemplated about how to levitate his files from me to him.

"Where are you going? I can help you bring your files there." I offered. "There are too many files for you to manage."

"...'kay."

It didn't sound like an affirmative reply, so I continued assuring him. "I'm free for the entire afternoon 'cause school's over for the day. Guide the way, boy."

"...boy."

"Um, you know, I can't exactly hear you." I laughed awkwardly. The boy blushed brightly, chewing on his lips with increasing intensity. "What did you say?"

He shook his head and took a step forward, then leading the way. I blinked as I continued making my way back into the university I just stepped out of about 15 minutes ago.

He's...not actually a university kid, is he? He looked so small and his voice sounded like he hasn't underwent puberty.

I
 got many confused stares from people heading out of the university, following after a small boy. They don't actually think I'm this boy's father...right?

I nervously checked my fashion to make sure I didn't look way above my age, sighing in relief when I was in a casually-designed collared shirt and skinny jeans. Sounds young enough.

We went to the School of Arts, a few blocks away from my business school. He walked around the building with practised ease as I tried to take in my new surrounding. I didn't take any art modules so this side of the school was new to me.

...was he an art student, then?

He continued walking before me, head not once turning from side-to-side to make sure he had the right place. Seems pretty accustomed to this area to me. He turned a sharp corner, then knocking the first door in sight.

"Come in."

He opened the door and held it open for me, and I thanked him before entering.

"Oh? Who is this, Minwoo?" The professor that resided inside his office smiled politely at me. He quickly made some space on the table when he recognised the files in my arms. "Thank you for bringing my files over with Minwoo, you are very kind."

So the boy's called Minwoo.

"I accidentally bumped into him on the road so I needed an excuse to not compensate the possible physical injuries." I joked, blinking when the professor looked slightly alarmed, visually checking Minwoo's figure from top to bottom. "Ah- I mean..."

"Ah, I'm sorry." The professor chuckled. "He's a soft-spoken child so he gets bullied a lot in school."

"Dad!" A hushed sound.

The father ruffled the young boy's hair, smiling affectionately. "Can you make your way home alright? Thanks for bringing my files, Minwoo."

Minwoo nodded, but made no move to leave yet.

"My manners, my manners!" The professor exclaimed, turning to me with an apologetic smile. "What is your name?"

"I'm Kim Donghyun." I smiled and greeted the older man.

"
I assume you met Minwoo around school grounds? What are you studying?"

"I'm in Business School." I watched as Minwoo slowly turned to me, cautiously looking as if not wanting me to catch his gaze. "Year 3."

"Ah, isn't Year 3 quite a stressful period?" The professor nodded. "All that internship and whatnots. Preparation for graduation is never easy."

"I'm still coping well." I laughed lightly. "Well, I don't want to overstay my welcome. It was nice meeting you."

"It's fine." He chuckled, reaching out his hand to shake mine. "Always nice to meet a new face. Minwoo, are you leaving with Donghyun-ssi?"

Minwoo played with his fingers and turned to his father, looking like he couldn't decide.

"I would appreciate that actually." I smiled when Minwoo raised his head sharply. "I'm not sure if I know how to exit this building."

The ends of his lips curled up, and he quickly covered his mouth as if to hide his smile.

"That's that then." The father nodded. "Have a safe trip!"

We then bowed our goodbyes, and I decided to stand by Minwoo's side instead of following behind him this time. "Minwoo's a cute name."

"...'mon."

"I won't hear you if you keep up with that volume, Minwoo."

He paused in his steps, looking at me with wide eyes.

"...did I say something wrong?"

Taking in a deep breath, he looked around to see that there was no one before parting his lips. "Minwoo is common. You dropped the formal speech when calling me."

His voice was still a bit soft, but it held more confidence this time.

"You're a bit feisty." I made a face, watching him fight a smile. "You're a kid, that makes it logical to drop formal speech with you, Minwoo."

"I'm not a kid, Donghyun-ssi." He scrunched up his face. "I'm 16."

"I'm 22, kid." I teased, watching him protest.

"Don't call me a kid...!"

"Okay, okay." I laughed. "So do you want to lead the way or stay in this corridor, Minwoo?"

He smiled triumphantly as I gave in, then leading the way once more. We walked around the building for the exit, and when we neared it, he suddenly stopped once more.

"You..." Minwoo looked at me with a small pout, a subtle frown between his brows.

"
Yes?" I encouraged him to continue, watching him fiddle with his phone that I didn't know he was holding. "Do you want my number?"

His expression lighted up, like a puppy at its new toy. "...can I?"

"If you drop formal speech." I grinned, unlocking my phone and searching for my contacts.

"Donghyun...hyung." He managed cutely, then exchanging his phone for mine.

I typed in my details into his phone and passed it back to him, smiling when I saw what he saved his contact as.

minu (≧∇≦)

I looked up, smiling softly as I saw his disappearing back view - a small boy running into the distance with all his might.

-

3 subscribers and 2 comments! Yay, thanks!

I hope to finish this @_@ but we're off to a good start ^^
The story is going to be Donghyun's POV. I haven't written POV in a long while, but it felt like with those prompts, a POV writing is correct, so... Not my usual style but I'll try my best!