Thirty

Hold My Hand
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

          The flight and subsequent transportation to the villa on the beach was seamless. Yonghwa had ensured that she was given every consideration. She was endlessly pampered and waited on and when they arrived on the island, they were greeted not only by the physician who would be monitoring her care, but a personal nurse who would reside at the villa with her and Yonghwa.

 

          When Seohyun got her first look at the sprawling villa, it took her breath away. They drove through a gate and down a winding driveway that was lined with lush, gorgeous flowers. Just for a moment the driveway paralleled the beach before it ended in front of the main house. The house couldn’t be more than a few steps from the beach. The idea that she could walk out the back door and be on the sand sent excitement coursing through her veins.

 

          Yonghwa insisted on carrying her inside. He cradled her close as he walked through the front door and she craned her neck to take in the interior. Instead of showing her around, he took her to the glass doors that led to the wraparound porch in the back. As she had suspected, there were only three stones marking the very short pathway from the porch to the sand.

 

          As soon as she stepped onto the porch, the breeze from the water ruffled her hair. She closed her eyes and inhaled deeply, savoring the tang of the salt and the lush, warm air that surrounded them.

 

          “It’s beautiful,” she breathed.

 

          He smiled. “I’m glad you approve—   because it’s yours.”

 

          She went still in his arms and locked her gaze with his. For a long moment she was too stunned to find her voice. When she finally did, it came out as a croak, “I don’t understand.”

 

          He eased her down onto the steps leading to the sand. Then he sat beside her as they stared over the shimmering blue of the water.

 

          “I bought it for you. For us. This is your house.” She was at a complete loss for words. The numbness that she’d worn for so long was melting away. It was as if the warmth of the sun was thawing the ice and with it, brought new awareness. She saw things more clearly. She saw Yonghwa. She saw him making a huge effort to make her happy. To take care of her. Hope began to beat inside her chest, but she pushed it back, afraid to give it free rein. She didn’t dare make assumptions.

 

          “But Y-Yonghwa, you live in Seoul! Your life is there. Your family is there. Your job. Your business and dreams! And even your friends. You can’t just move here because we had a few days of happiness in this place,” she looked at him exasperated.

 

          “Can’t I?” he challenged.

 

          He picked up her hand and laced his fingers through hers. “There’s a lot you don’t know, Hyun. I-I didn’t want you to know at the time. You were dealing with enough stress in the hospital. I’ve cut my Jungshin and my mother out of my life. Out of our lives. Forever.”

 

          “Oh, Oppa~” Tears swam in her eyes. No matter how much she despised them, she had never wanted this for him.

 

          He wiped a tear away with his thumb.

 

          “Don’t you dare shed a tear for them or me. They aren’t worth your tears. You’re too kind, Hyun. But I don’t regret what I’ve done. I only regret that I allowed them to hurt you and that I never saw what they were doing to you.”

 

          “But you wouldn’t have done it if it weren’t for me,” she said painfully. “They’re your family, Oppa. Maybe you’re angry with them now, but what about a year from now? Or five years from now? At what point will you resent me for being the wedge between you? I-I don’t want this.”

 

          “You aren’t responsible for their actions,” he said fiercely. He knew how much Seohyun valued family and didn’t want her to think that it was her fault that his own had crumbled to the ground. He was happy, or he will be, as long as he had her and their baby.

 

          “You didn’t do this. They did.  No one else. I hate them for what they did. They are beyond despicable. Mom wasn’t even repentant for her actions! They don’t deserve your consideration. They don’t deserve mine either. I never want our child exposed to that kind of poison. It was my decision, Hyun-ah. Tell me love, do you honestly think I would allow them in any part of our lives after what they did to you?”

 

          Tears slid down her cheeks as her heart clenched. This hadn’t been her goal. No matter how much she wanted to never be around them again, the last thing she desired was to cause him pain.

 

          “Let’s not talk about them,” he said quietly.

 

          “They’re no longer an issue. What I want to talk about is us. Can you ever forgive me, Hyun? Can you possibly ever love me again?”

 

          He rose from his perch beside her and went down the two steps to the beach bel

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter