Ten

Hold My Hand
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

        Seohyun was awakened by Yonghwa who was shaking her gently. He looked at her worriedly as she rubbed her temples now and then as she willed the headache away. She stared back at him and asked what he wanted.

 

        “I brought lunch,” he replied, handing her some takeout. She thanked him and they ate in silence.

 

        “Have you said your goodbyes to them?” he asked and she nodded.

 

        “Will it be alright if we went tomorrow instead of Sunday?” he asked timidly and she stared at him blankly.

 

        “I have this meeting on Sunday with one of my important clients-“ he was saying when Seohyun interrupted him saying, “Any day’s fine with me.”

 

        She placed a spoonful of the fried rice and took a bite off the dumplings, keeping herself too busy to eat so she wouldn’t have to respond to him. She was used to him being this way, always doing whatever he wanted. It was her who always had to compromise. And business came first, even when they were still together. Maybe it was the time apart that made him think she was cheating on him. But he was the one who was always busy, not her. She always made time for him even when she had to juggle school and make time for him, because she loved him so much.

 

        And he hurt you just like that. Forget it Hyun, don’t be swayed by his acts now. It didn’t even take him a day to revert to his old “businessman” self. Stop expecting even a little something from him, you’ll only hurt yourself.

 

        Seohyun sighed and played around with her food. It was weird for them to be polite and silent in a room together. She found it awkward and just wanted to get this whole thing done. Once she has given birth, she can go far away from him and build a new life for herself. She can go back to school and this time for sure, she’ll never be alone as long as she has her child with her. She’ll pick up the pieces of her life and build a bright future for her and her child, one without Yonghwa to complicate things. Seohyun sighed once more, her hormones were responsible for the mood swings and Yonghwa being like this just irritated her.

 

        “Don’t you like the food?” Yonghwa asked and Seohyun merely shrugged.

 

        “What’s wrong?” he asked, annoyed that she was ignoring him.

 

        “Nothing,” she replied concentrating on eating as she tried to ignore the pounding in her head that’s started ever since she thought too much.

 

        “Fine, suit yourself. But we are not sleeping here tonight,” he replied. Pushing away the chair, he stood and walked towards her suitcase.

 

        “What?” she blinked at him.

 

        “Is this all you’re bringing?” he asked as he started to carry it towards the door.

 

        Seohyun stood up and hurried towards him who was walking down the stairs of her building towards his car.

 

        “Hey! Where are we going?” she pulled his sleeve as she tried to match his pace. Panting she squinted her eyes as her vision blurred a bit before she finally focused on him. Running after him wasn’t a good idea as the pounding in her head got stronger.

 

        “Hey, don’t run. You’re not supposed to be on your feet,” he finally stopped walking and looked at her sternly.

 

        “I’m fine. But answer me first, I’m not going anywhere with you unless you tell me our destination,” she crossed her arms and stared at him. Yonghwa sighed and just placed her stuff in the trunk before ushering her up the stairs again back to her apartment.

 

        “Sit down,” he gently pushed her on the couch and cleaned up the food they ate. He surveyed the place and seeing there wasn’t anything much to bring, he sauntered towards her and held out his hand.

 

        “Do you need to take a bathroom break first or something?” he asked and she shook her head still looking at him with her brows raised.

 

        “Fine, fine. I was planning to take you to where I’m staying. It’s just a few streets away at that inn where an old lady works as an innkeeper,” he explained and saw Seohyun’s eyes light up. Her headache mysteriously vanishing once her worries had been set aside.

 

        “You’re staying with that halmeoni?” she asked and he nodded. Excited, she stood up and started walking towards the door. She had forgotten to say goodbye to her and was anxious to do it before Yonghwa whisks her away to where they once lived.

 

        “Walk slowly,” he grabbed her arm and assisted her as she walked down the steep railings.

 

        “I’m not an invalid. I can walk just fine,” she said as she tried to remove herself from his hold. She didn’t like being near him so much. It was quite suffocating and was slowly driving her crazy.

        

        “Yah, these stairs are dangerous! It’s a miracle you haven’t fallen down them yet,  he muttered and Seohyun waved him dismissively. She was a big girl and she didn’t need his help. But he was insistent in helping her down the “dangerous” stairs as he put it and even threatened to carry her to the car if she was stubborn. She acquiesced and allowed him to do as he wished.

 

        “So how did you meet that halmeoni?” he asked once they were safely inside his car. He looked sideways at her and waited for her response.

 

        “Well, when I first got here I didn’t have any place to stay or a job to sustain me,” she calmly explained. Yonghwa could feel his anger rising thinking how could she suffer so much.

 

        “It was raining and I just got off the bus. I didn’t know where to go so I just sat there and waited for the rain to stop. It was cold and I started crying thinking how dire my situation was,” her voice strained a little which she tried to keep under control. He kept quiet as he silently drove to their destination.

 

        “She just appeared before me and asked me what was wrong. At first I was wary, but she had this gentle smile on her face and she reminded me of my

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter