Twenty-four

Hold My Hand
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

         He waved at a passing cab, frustrated when it didn’t slow. The next one stopped and he climbed in, directing the driver to his address. The entire way back to his apartment he prayed that she’d be there. When the cab pulled up to his apartment building, he got out and hurried toward the door. When he reached the doorman, he stopped.

 

         “Did you see Seohyun come in a few minutes ago?”

 

         The doorman nodded. “Yes, sir. She got here just before you arrived.”

 

         Relief staggered him. He bolted for the elevator. A few moments later, he strode into the apartment.

 

         “Hyun? Hyun, baby, where are you?”

 

         Not waiting for an answer, he hurried into the bedroom to see her sitting on the edge of the bed, her face pale and drawn in pain. When she heard him, she looked up and he winced at the dullness in her eyes.

 

         She’d been crying.

 

         “I thought I could do it,” she said in a raw voice, before he could beg her forgiveness.

 

         “I thought I could just go on and forget and that I could accept others thinking the worst of me as long as you and I others thinking the worst of me as long as you and I were okay again. I did myself a huge disservice.”

 

         “Hyun-ah…”

 

         Something in her look silenced him and he stood several feet away, a feeling of helplessness gripping him as he watched her try to compose herself.

 

         “I sat there tonight while your friends and your mother looked at me in disgust, while they looked at you with a mixture of pity and disbelief in their eyes. All because you took me back. I’m the tramp who betrayed you in the worst possible manner, right? And I thought to myself I don’t deserve this. I’ve never deserved it. I deserve better.”

 

         She raised her eyes to his and he flinched at the horrible pain he saw reflected there. Then she laughed. It was a raw, terrible sound that grated across his ears.

 

         “And earlier tonight you forgave me. You stood there and told me it no longer mattered what happened in the past because you forgave me and you wanted to move forward.”

 

         She curled her fingers into tight balls and rage flared in her eyes. She stood and stared him down even as tears ran in endless streams down her cheeks.

 

         “Well, I don’t forgive you. Nor can I forget that you betrayed me in the worst way a man can betray the woman he’s supposed to love and be sworn to protect.”

 

         He took a step back, reeling from the fury in her voice. His eyes narrowed. “You don’t forgive me?”

 

         “I told you the truth that day,” she said hoarsely, her voice cracking under the weight of her tears. “I begged you to believe me. I got down on my knees and begged you, Oppa. And what did you do? You wrote me a damn check and told me to get out.”

 

         He took another step back, his hand going to his hair. Something was wrong, terribly wrong. So much of that day was a blur. He remembered her on her knees, her tear-stained face, how she put her hand on his leg and whispered, “Please don’t do this.”

 

         It made him sick. He never wanted to go back to the way he felt that day, but somehow this was worse because there was something terribly wrong in her eyes and in her voice.

 

         “Your brother assaulted me. He forced himself on me. I didn’t invite his attentions. I wore the bruises from his attack for two weeks. Two weeks. I was so stunned by what he’d done that all I could think about was getting to you. I knew you’d fix it. You’d protect me. You’d take care of me. I knew you’d make it right. All I could think about was running to you. And, oh God, I did and you looked right through me, Oppa.”

 

         The sick knot in his stomach grew and his chest tightened so much he couldn’t breathe.

 

         “You wouldn’t listen,” she said tearfully. “You wouldn’t listen to anything I had to say. You’d already made your mind up.”

 

         He swallowed and closed the distance between them, worried that she’d fall if he didn’t make her sit. But she shook him off and turned her back, her shoulders heaving as her quiet sobs fell over the room.

 

         “I’m listening now, Hyun,” he forced out. “Tell me what happened. I’ll believe you. I swear.”

 

         But he knew. He already knew. So much of that day was replaying over and over in his head and suddenly he was able to see so clearly what he’d refused to see before. And it was killing him.

 

         His brother had lied to him after all. Not just lied but he’d carefully orchestrated the truth and twisted it so cleverly that Yonghwa had been completely deceived.

 

         Then she turned, her beautiful eyes haunted, defeated. “It doesn’t matter if you believe me anymore,” she whispered. “You wouldn’t believe me when it mattered. He tried to me. He assaulted me. He touched me. He hurt me. And when I fought him off and told him that I would tell you what he’d done, he told me he’d make sure you never believed a word of any of it."

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter