The truth (Pt. 1)

Let Fate Decide

Despite Bangtan’s stressful preparation for their comeback, it was one of the days where they had no schedules. No broadcasts, no variety show recording, no practices. And Taehyung was happy because he was going to ask Jungkook to go out with him. No, not as a couple. (not that he’s complaining) He still hasn’t confessed to the younger. The last time they went out together just the two of them was going to the convenience store in Japan. Of course he didn’t count that as a date.

He woke up early that morning (well, not that early but still early for him) and went to the kitchen after he washed up. He was a bit surprised to see Jungkook was already sitting at the dining table; all dressed up and was eating his breakfast. Jane was washing some dishes at the sink when she looked up and met Taehyung’s eyes.

He rolled her eyes at her and pouted, not acknowledging her presence. However, rather than a snort or a scoff she usually gave, she just nodded and muttered a soft ‘good morning’ to him and continue to do her chore. Well, that was weird. She seemed to not be in the mood for their ‘war’. Her face was expressionless. She was usually lively and bubbly, no matter how tired she was, or when she exchanged glares with Taehyung.

He just shrugged at the response and went to sit at the table next to Jungkook. The younger gave him a bitter smile and back to eating his breakfast. The older male didn’t realize the bitter smile as he was beaming with smiles at the younger.

“Kookie, let’s go out together today.”

“Today…?”

“Yes, today. Let’s go have fun!”

“Um… I can’t hyung, not today.”

He whined. “Why? It’s not like you have school today. It’s been a while since we go out together to have. Come on~!”

It was Jungkook’s expression that caused him to stop whining abruptly. The maknae looked at him, his eyes staring into him. It was as if Jungkook wanted to say something but he just let his eyes talked for him. After a moment, he sighed heavily that he sounded extremely sad, disappointed and slightly annoyed to the elder. He stood up and walked to his room.

Taehyung called for Jungkook so many times but the other just ignored him and closed his door. He sat up and wanted to go to Jungkook’s room. Something was off with him, and he was worried. Where the usual Jungkook has gone? But before he could get there, Jane grabbed his arm with one hand, stopping him in process.

He stopped and looked at her surprised. She was looking deeply into his eyes. He was searching for answers in hers, but none found. Just then Hoseok came to the kitchen and the two looked at him. Just a few seconds later Jungkook came out from his room with a backpack on his back. He greeted Hoseok and the older hugged him, a little longer than usual, whispering something that the younger just nodded at him.

When they broke the hug, he bowed slightly and exited the dorm. Taehyung called out to the maknae and wanted to follow him but Jane tightened her grab at his arm now with both of her hands.

“Noona, why are you doing this to-”

“Just leave him, Taehyung.”

“Why are you acting like this? Kookie was also acting like this. Why?”

He was whining but confused with the two’s bad mood this morning. Jane frowned at his question.

“You didn’t remember? You should’ve known better, Taehyung-ah.”

She shook her head at him in disappointment and let go of his arm. She went back to the kitchen to hang her apron and walked to go out. Her gaze met Hoseok’s and she stopped in her tracks. Both of them stared at each other for a while. Although he has a lot of things to ask her, now was not the time. He could practically feel the mood around her, which was depressing enough for him not to say anything. She smiled sadly at him and he smiled back before she walked out of the dorm. Taehyung was left confused at the dining table.

When Jane went outside, she was greeted with Jungkook in front of the elevator. He was looking at the floor, his expression was clearly sad.

“Hey, he’s a bit forgetful, you know how he is.”

“I know…it’s just…I’m a little stressed, and because of the exams plus with the comeback coming. Sometimes I can’t control my emotions.”

“But you have me, right?”

Jane just smiled while ruffled his hair and he whined in response. “Come on, we’ve got a long way to go today.” They smiled at each other before walking away. They went to the train station and took a 2 hour and a half journey. They didn’t talk a lot during the journey. Jungkook had his ear plugged in with earphones while Jane looked out the window, drowned in their own feelings and emotions.

When they arrived, they decided to walk from the station to their intended place. On the way, Jungkook stopped and went into a shop while Jane just remained at the sidewalk, waiting for him. He came out from the shop holding two bouquet of flowers; white oriental lilies and purple dahlias. He still remembers about them, Jane thought.

They continue walking until they stopped; they stopped at a slope of the hill. Jane just stood beside Jungkook, watching him as he bent down and place the two bouquets in front of two tombstones; Jeon Yoo Mi and Jeon Chan Woo. He kneeled in front of it and threw away any dried leaves on the tombs. Only silence filled the air, both of them didn’t have the heart to break it but Jungkook did anyways.

“Omma, Appa. I’m here today.” His voice cracked. He tried his best to control himself from breaking.

“I…I-I’m sorry that I…couldn’t c-come here last year.” He couldn’t hold it in anymore. He broke into a crying mess; he tried to say something more but only sob came out from his moth. Jane bit her bottom lip and crouched beside him, her hand his back trying to calm him down. He kept his head low while tears already wet his cheeks. They stayed like that for over an hour; all the while Jane kept calming him down and never left his side.

 

~*~

 

Jungkook arrived at his dorm around 8 p.m. and was greeted by his hyungs who were hanging around in the living room watching TV. They didn’t say anything further as they saw his eyes were red, face dead tired and the maknae just gave them a sad smile before heading to his room. Taehyung wanted to call out to the youngest but he stopped. He suddenly remembered what happened this morning, but he still didn’t understand a few things.  

Simply put, his morning plan on going on a date was rejected by Jungkook and Jane had stopped him from following the maknae. But both of them had a bad mood but Taehyung couldn’t think of any reasons right now because he was disappointed with himself. He went drink some water and sat at the dining table. Hoseok chuckled slowly before following him and sitting across him, asking about what he had been thinking about and he told the elder everything that happened. Hoseok almost choked on the water he was currently drinking.

“Seriously Taehyung?? You asked him to go out with you today?”

“Why? What’s with today?”

“Oh my god, Taehyung you’re so stupid! I wonder why Namjoon picked you as the second genius in our group.”

“Just tell me, hyung.”

“He went to Busan.”

“Busan?! But why-… oh.” Realization hit Taehyung like an 8-tonned truck. He looked at the rapper and the latter just sighed and nodded.

“It’s his parents’ death anniversary.”

Without wasting any time, Taehyung quickly headed to Jungkook’s room. He opened the door and was quite shocked that the lights were not . He could see in the dim light from the hallway that the younger was lying on his bed. Jungkook sat up as he heard someone opened his door. He looked confused when he made up the face at the door.

“Taetae hyung?”

Taehyung’s heart skipped a beat at that nickname but he ignored it. He closed the door and carefully made his way to the bed in the dark. Although the lights were off, the light from Jungkook’s phone illuminated the room faintly. The older male sat beside him on the bed and quickly pulled him into a hug. The younger was of course, surprised and managed to blush too. Before he could say anything, Taehyung spoke first.

“Hyung is sorry. I’m sorry I forgot what day it is. I-I’m truly sorry, Kookie-yah.”

Although he didn’t say anything in reply, Taehyung knew his answer when he felt the younger shook his head and one of his hand clutched at the shirt on his back. They stayed like that for a while before Taehyung broke the hug.

“Now scoot over, make room for me, I’m sleeping here.”

“Hyung, this is a single bed.”

“It’s not like we’ve never slept together on a small bed.”

Jungkook blushed madly but luckily Taehyung didn’t notice it as he was busy pushing Jungkook to make room for himself on the bed. They settled on the bed with Jungkook’s head on his arm, his nose nuzzled at his neck. Despite having slightly broader shoulders than the older, they lie comfortably with one of his hands over the elder’s waist. Taehyung played with his hair using his fingers while humming and that lulled him to sleep, before he himself drifted to dreamland.