DOWNTIME

cynical romantic
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Dedicated to: illustrator & DreamOn for their rocking upvote~

As well as all my readers that got me to 12K view~ ily to the stars and beyond~

T H I R T Y - T W O

D O W N T I M E: an interval during which a machine is not productive, as during repair, malfunction, maintenance (see: painting)

 

"You know, when Nicole suggest that we paint as stress relief, I don't think she meant this kind of paint," Jungkook said as he opened another massive can of navy blue paint and to refill his tray.

"Could you really see Aaemi watercolor painting?" Lee spoke from across the room, dragging the paint roller of the wall. I chuckled, brandishing my own paint brush from my spot on a ladder. Nicole had left early that morning, predicting, at least, a three day period of time before Cade stuck again. She had advised us to stay low until Cade attacked. I'd retorted that I'd rather be preparing for war then sitting around a twiddling my thumbs. Nicole had expressed her use of oil painting to absorb time.

No matter how iffy I was feeling about Nicole, I knew she was right. I couldn't all my time over the next 72 hours jumping at every noise.

That's why Jungkook and I had stopped by the local Home Depot on the way home from the airport and I'd picked out the first color that caught my eyes. I'd chosen an empty guest room, spread newspaper over everything we didn't want paint on and started on the walls. At some point, Lee had joined us and surprisingly enough she had been followed by Baekhyun.

However, Nicole's beta had lasted all of three minutes before declaring he was exhausted and threw himself down on the floor wherever Lee was painting.

"Well, I'm enjoying all this mundane work- ," I broke off with a profanity noticing that a small drop of paint had landed on my light washed jeans. Smearing it with my finger, I swore again before placing my brush firmly against the wall above the door.

Baekhyun laughed from his spot, curled around Lee's leg. "Still having fun?"

"Shut up Baekhyun, you've been doing nothing but ing Lee's leg for the past hour," I spat. Instead of getting embarrassed, he knocked dark blue hair out of his face and ran a hand shamelessly up her thigh. Lee retaliated with a swift quick to the stomach.

"Keep it PG, baby boy, there are kids in the room," she said good-naturedly to Baekhyun, casting a wicked glance in my direction. I wrinkled my nose at her. Lee was only older than me by four years and taller only by three inches. Frustrating.

Jungkook snorted but said nothing as he painted his portion of the room with quick, even . Ever since activating his pendant Jungkook's talent for- well everything- skyrocketed. Followed shortly by his ego.

As if noticing me staring, he turned to shoot me a smile from over his shoulder. I sighed loudly and focused my attention back on the square of wall. Brushing thin layers of paint only proved to be inconsistent, but anything heavier than that looked black. My wolf snapped her teeth in anger.

Why are you painting walls, silly girl, she asked, this is boring.

"wo bu ji dao, wei shenme-" I broke off in Mandarin, throwing my paintbrush at Jungkook in frustration. He caught it without really turning back to look at me. What he didn't expect was that my paintbrush was saturated with paint and it sent a splash of navy blue over his white button down shirt.

I froze.

", sorry-" I started to apologize, but got cut off as Jungkook dipped the paintbrush in his tray and threw it back at me so fast my eyes couldn't track his movements, much less block it. The brush slammed against my brand new Panic! At The Disco shirt and sliding into my lap.

I clutched the ladder, the air being knocked out of me. The force of the throw had been more than I expected as I struggled to keep my balance. From the look on Jungkook's face, it had been a lot more than he expected too. He swallowed his laughter immediately and rushed to steady the ladder.

"- are you okay?" He asked, worry coloring his gray eyes so expressively it was hard to believe he couldn't see out of one. I still wasn't used to his blind left eye, but his enhanced werewolf senses seemed to take the place of an eye. Even so, I'd taken to grabbing his arm to get his attention.

"Holy crap, are you okay?" I heard Lee from across the room, "Would you let go-" She ordered Baekhyun.

"It's okay," I wheezed, putting a hand out to stop her from flinging Baekhyun over her shoulder and ruining the newly painted walls, "I'm fine."

"Damn it, Jungkook, she's still no fully healed," Lee snapped at my boyfriend.

"I know," The handsome shifter in front of me said, sounding heartbroken. I reached out a hand and rested it on his shoulder for support as I tried to stop coughing, "I'm sorry." He said to me.

It took me a good ten seconds before I could say anything, "You ruined- my new shirt-" I lifted my hand to smack Jungkook, but my arm wouldn't move. "Damn imprint." I grumbled, I couldn't hurt him. He offered me a sincere look of apology that did nothing to hide the relief on his face. I hissed threateningly at him, grasped my half a gallon of paint an

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter