VIGILANT

cynical romantic
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Edited by the lovely ChiNyan

Dedicated to roxsanime

Thank you for upvoting! 

And to Maenim

for your sweet comment! 

LANDMARK: 1K views

N I N E

V I G I L A N T: to be keenly alert to or heedful of trouble or D A N G E R(see: Aaemi Kou, for D A N G E R, see: Jungkook Lee)

 

 Seven hours later I was sitting at a table in front of Jungkook again. For dinner.

“Is this some kind of twisted joke?” I asked when I walked into the kitchen and (to my irritation) find Mr. Tall, Dark, and Handsome talking to the twins. His eyes flickered up to my face, then lazily along the length of my body before settling on my face again.

It wasn't a surprise for me to find him at my house, my marks had begun to flush with warmth the second I set foot downstairs. And I spotted his pretty black car in the driveway.

Almost all the Blake brothers sat at the table with him, only Lukas and Jaron were missing, but they all seemed to be getting along. Even Justin was laughing at something Jungkook just said. I swept them all with a glare and the room became quiet.

“Cute shorts.” Jungkook broke the silence, his mouth slipping up into a smirk. I looked down at my shorts, they were made of flimsy fabric, baby blue and covered in black stars. They were supposed to be sleeping shorts, but recently I haven't had the tenacity to keep my jeans on all day. I glanced back up to see Henry and Mark suppressing a smile. At least Taylor attempted to keep his face straight. Again, I felt bad for trying to throttle him.

“No one answered my question.” I ignored his comment and planted my hands on my waist. All of them were sitting which made me feel incredibly tall as the only person standing, “Who let him in?” His cinnamon scent was everywhere.

Jungkook pretended to be hit by an arrow.

“I did.” A voice announced from behind me and I turned to see Jaron and Lukas walk in carrying armfuls of takeout Chinese. Jaron looked apprehensively at me like he was expecting me to blow up. “I thought it'd be a good idea for us to meet him.”

I wrinkled my nose, “Why?”

They headed around me and set the bags of food down on the table of waiting for werewolf boys. I tracked their every movement with my eyes. Jaron turned back around, dusting his hands off. Lukas made sure to flick my ponytail.

“Aaemi,” he said, his voice wasn't patronizing, but he sounded like an uncle, “He knows why. You should too.” Everyone began clawing through the bags of food and the heavenly smell hit the air. The kitchen was as loud and rowdy as it usually was, but, this time, the heat of Jungkook's presences, hung in the atmosphere and gave me an unusual hyper awareness.

No way was this happening. I glanced behind Jaron where his sons and Jungkook appeared to be fighting over a bag of pot stickers. They seemed right at home with Jungkook and his laid back, give-no-s, aura.

They were all getting along like they'd known each other since birth. Which, for some reason, pissed me off. And gave my wolf shivers.

Jungkook, as if feeling my eyes on him, looked up. I had no idea what I looked like, but I'd like to think I looked at least annoyed at him. He leaned back in his seat, crossing his arms across his chest and raised a charcoal colored eyebrow.

Mate. He mouthed. He didn't look angry, he didn't look happy either. He just looked...like Jungkook. And kind of smug.

I looked away, unable to hold his gaze. I couldn't help the guilt in that began to poke at my stomach. I'd known about our...situation before Jungkook and I didn't bother to tell him. It wasn't something that affected just me. It affected both of us. He deserved to know. But now, he deserved an apology.

“Are you just going to stand there and him with your eyes?” Henry spoke up. They snickered and I snapped my most hateful glare on him. I sat down, with a one wave in Henry's direction, in the only seat available. And since Jaron and Lukas had just claimed a place on the table, it happened to be right in front of Jungkook. He grinned, looking pleased

There were white paper bags everywhere, and most of the werewolves at the table had already stolen most of the food. I managed to snag the last two white takeout boxes of chow mien along with the a box of something that I hoped was spicy enough to help me cope with my current mental state.

Ten minutes of shoving food into our mouths later, Jaron finally spoke up.

“So, Jungkook, Aaemi told me your Alpha of a pack already?” He sounded way too casual. Jungkook swallowed his bite as he nodded, his eyes flickered to mine for a second.

“L1004. We're registered under the Portland sector.” Jungkook spun his chopsticks skillful in between his fingers in a way that made me unable to look away. “My father stepped down a year ago, so I lead the pack with my brother.” The chopsticks froze and I was allowed to go back to eating.

Of course, with my eyes no longer attached to his spinning chopsticks trick, I couldn't help but notice how freaking attractive he looked in a white button down threaded with black details. His hair was mussed, over one eye, and his shirt wasn't buttoned up all the way, but he managed to pull off the whole 'sloppily-put-together'. The silver glint of a necklace teased from underneath his collar.

I had a sudden urge to slip my hand down his shirt and pull the necklace into view. Of course, I was blaming that one on my wolf.

I fixed my gaze back down on my noodles.

“You have a brother?” It was Taylor who spoke up and I wanted to stab him in the eye for encouraging Jungkook.

“Yeah,” He said, his voice took an affectionate tone, “Nathanial. He's a year older than me. I have a younger sister too, Jade, but she's a lot younger than us. She's in preschool.”

“Interesting,” Jaron said, continuing the conversation, “What about after you finish school. Do you have any plans? College?” I picked up a slice of celery with my chopsticks and flung it at Jaron.

“Jesus, Jaron-” was this how normal, human girls felt when they brought home boys and their fathers interrogated them? I didn't bring Jungkook, nor was Jaron my father but this whole situation was giving me a healthy dose of humiliation.

“I'm thinking about studying a science, I'm taking an extra astronomy class right now.” Jungkook plowed right on as Jaron scooped up the celery I'd thrown at him and popped it in his mouth.

Grumbling, I returned to my food. Next to me, Lukas chuckled. “Don't be so moody, mei. You'll scare your mate off.”

“He's not my mate.” I hissed right back. Lukas just laughed.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter