AMAUROSIS

cynical romantic
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Dedicated to: chocobean, Runningman_4eva_16 & BunBunny99 for upvoting~ You guys made my day~

and as always to my lovely readers~

My love for every single one of you guys goes beyond the stars━━━★

T W E N T Y - E I G H T

A M A U R O S I S - darkening (see: Jungkook's sight)

 

It took about twelve hours for the requested battalion of fighters to fly to Oregon and when they got here I had absolutely no idea what to do with them. The apartments on my property could only hold about seventy if her fighters and even then the apartments were bursting. This left about thirty-three werewolves milling about the first floor of my house, setting up tents inside and outside.

I watch from my spot on the banister in dismay as a small group of quarreling fighters take out a lamp. It crashes to the ground, light bulb shattering on the hardwood floor and I wince visibly.

Nicole emerged from the kitchen carrying a massive mug of coffee wearing a pair of workout shorts and black hoodie zipped up to . Her deep plum lipstick, so befitting of her character in Vegas, was back. When she followed the noise of shattered glass to the group of fighters she sent them whimpering to fetch a dust pan.

She shot me an apologetic half-smile and I returned it just as pained. Things between us were tense, but it was mostly just my nerves about the oncoming battle. After coming home last night, Nicole had apologized.

Only once, but genuine and from the look on Mark’s face I could tell she didn’t apologize often. Or at all.

So I forgave her and now I’m back to just worrying non-stop about Cade, the Four pack and the overwhelming sense of doom. With Nicole and her pack serving as allies, we had a chance of actually winning. The odds has spun slightly in my pack’s favor but why did I feel so utterly hopeless?

It was times like this that I missed chemistry class and Ms. Jean.

Jungkook had pack duties to take care of this morning, but he promised to head over when he finished up. Still, his usual spot beside me was empty and that didn’t feel right and it was terrible but I desperately needed his calming presence to shut my wolf’s anxious yelping up. I sighed and resisted the urge to rip my hair out at the thought. I didn’t desperately need anything before, was I needed was to put my big girl on. With this in mind, I checked my phone for the sixtieth time for his text.

I’m such a-

“Alpha Aaemi-” A voice interrupted my thoughts. I turned towards Kaiden’s voice and found Mark and Jason flanking him.

“Yes,” I waved a hand, motioning for them to pick their way through the crowd.

“Just here to report border patrols,” Kaiden says, noticing the look on my face. I cursed and tried to force a smile, it was so obvious that I was on edge.

“Everything quiet?” I ask, knowing that if they had noticed anything they would have rushed to me. Kaden nods. Mark steps forward with Jason and the two began listing off numbers. Fighters on the ready, our fighters who worked full-time jobs around the state responding to our distress call and pouring in, fighters on patrol.

I couldn’t help wondering half-heartedly if this was Cade’s battle strategy; to drag out this terrible pre-war period of time, jumping at every noise, constantly looking over our shoulders, until this pack was worn down so thinly that we snapped and everything fell to pieces.

It sounded like him.

A sharp pain resonates up through my arm so suddenly and brutally that I almost throw myself off the banister. White hot pain resonates up from my wrist and down from my elbow. I pitch forward, clutching my arm and muttering harsh swear word.

“Holy-” Mark reaches forward, catching me. “What’s wrong, mèi?” Nicole is by my side in seconds. I gesture violently at my arm, not daring to talk in fear of screaming.

Nicole rips my sleeve. All three of us stare down at my glowing marks.

“Well,” I say through my teeth, “They’ve never done that.” But searing panic has taken a hold in the pit of my stomach, twisting them inside out.

Danger. My wolf’s voice is strangely quiet but speaks volumes.

Nicole swears fervently in Korean, understanding immediately. Whirling around, she barks rapid orders at her pack. Mark, Kaiden, and Jason still look lost. I drag my sleeve over my burning marks.

Danger.

“Jungkook’s out there. And I think he’s dead.”

★ ★ ★

I led Nicole’s small pack of fighters through the forest as quickly as possible, following the intuitive pangs in my stomach like some kind of sick homing device, trying to find Jungkook. Nicole runs beside me and on my other side is Mark, Kaiden runs behind us with Nicole’s fighters. Our silent footsteps brought us through the dense mass of trees, but I could barely keep myself from stumbling and accidentally spearing myself on a sapling or some .

Danger.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter