Chapter Sixteen

Fluttering Hearts

"Isn't it pretty late now? We can always come back tomorrow, you know." Kai said, looking at her. Seyoung, however, wasn't going to give up anytime soon.

"If you're sleepy, you can go back and sleep, okay? Night." She said, not looking up from the ground. It wasn't her fault that she had lost her grandmother's ring.

The one she was given on her deathbed. 

"No way I'm going to leave my girlfriend alone here. Werewolves might as well come and eat you." Kai laughed.

"Yah, don't joke about things like that." Seyoung, who obviously was scared to be outside late at night, said. But she needed to find the ring instead.

"Why? Are you scared?" He asked, smriking.

"Let's just focus on finding the ring, Kai." She said after a moment's paused, to with the other laughed again. Her heart fluttered again, but she glared and continued looking.

"Aw, you're so cute when you do that! It's okay to be scared Seyounggie. I'll protect you, won't I?" He smiled at her. She smiled back.

There was silence after that.

Until they both heard what sounded like a roar. A distant scream, maybe.

Seyoung thought she had imagined it, but the look on the other's face told her otherwise. Kai got up and headed towards where the sound was coming from. Seyoung followed him absent-mindedly.

Both of them saw the same thing.

A body.

Covered in blood and flattened out, with the eyes dug out. Empty eye-sockets stared back at Kai as he picked up the piece of paper attached to the chest lf the body.

Rings a bell, doesn't it?

"Looking for something?" Seyoung turned around to see a man. Well-dressed and seemingly in his early thirties, he smiled at both of them. She didn't recognise this man at all.

"What are you doing here?"

It sounded like Kai did.

"What do you mean what am I doing here?  I came because you were here." His eyes wandered over to Seyoung.

"Oh, who's this? She's pretty. Are you sure she wouldn't mind a man like me joining?" He smiled. Kai was infront of him within milliseconds, his hand grabbing the other's throat.

"Don't you dare." His eyes glowed a deep, dark red.

Seyoung's eyes widened. She hadn't witnessed any such thing before, and it all felt very sudden to her.

"Looks like you didn't tell her much." The man looked at Seyoung. Smiled.

Kai tightened his grip, nails digging into the man's skin. The man finally gave up and began coughing. He still didn't let go, and kept tightening his grip on the other's throat until his face turned white.

His eyeballs rolled to the back of his head, and blood dripped from his mouth, as his lips curved into a small smile, before he opened his eyes wide. And stopped moving right there.

"W-who are you?" She asked, only to be met with a smile so terrifying it sent chills down her spine.

"I'm kai, of course." 

"No. Who are you?" Seyoung asked again, this time a bit of sureness in her voice. He noticed her glance at his arm, and caught on immediately.

The goddamn bracelate. Oh well.

"You're smart for someone your age. Are you sure he didn't know all this?" Kai dropped the man on the ground, and walked slowly towards Seyoung, step by step.

"He won't kill people." She said, slowly stepping back.

"Well, well. Looks like you weren't that smart." He said, slowly tearing his face. The gory sight of all the blood and muscles underneath the skin, along with peirces of iron made her want to vomit.

"You wanted to see who I am, right?" He said.

And he had left Kai's body. Merely a spirit, was it? It entered the earlier strangled man's dead body. The man stood up and smiled at Seyoung. He topped his Fedora hat one last time before vanishing into thin air.

She examined Kai's face. It couldn't be his body, could it?

"You're right." Kai's eyes shot open, startling her.

"But where can he be, where can he be? You probably wouldn't want to see." He laughed.

Seyoung lunged at his face, anger getting the best of her. She kept punching his face, all the while her hands covered in blood. However, she stopped the moment she'd realised that it was gone.

"Seyoung?" A weak voice mumbled, barely enough for her to hear.

"Kai?" She turned around to see him stumbling, dragging himself towards her.

She rushed over to his side.

"It's really you, right?" She asked, cupping the other's face.

"Why wouldn't it be me?" He asked back, smiling all the same. That was all, before his eyes shut. And, to her horror, she finally noticed the blood flowing out from his back, formig a small puddle around his body.

"Of course you want to save him, don't you?" She heard another voice, and turned around. It was that man again. This time she went up to him and grabbed his collar.

"WHAT DID YOU DO?!" She screamed, tears rolling down her cheeks.

"You can save him. But if you kill me first, then-"

"How do I save him?" 

"Whoa, no need to rush-"

"HOW DO I SAVE HIM?!?"

"Transfer your soul over to his body. But there's no guarantee that you won't die."

"......What?"

"Hesitating now, are we? Or would you rather see him die anyway?" 

Silence.

"Think about it, Oh Seyoung. Who brought him up here to the forest so late at night? Who decided to tag along for a trip to the mountains? Who made a promise to grow old and die together?"

My fault.

It's all my fault.

"How do I do it?" She asked, her voice small.

"I thought you were never going to ask. Follow me." He stood beside Kai's body, and told Seyoung to lie down beside him. Her hair and clothes were about to be soaked in blood, but she didn't care.

She closed her eyes, and waited for it to begin. 

And soon enough, it did. 

She felt weightless, as suddenly her body became hollow. She felt herself fight against that feeling, and somehow, for a moment, it seemed okay. It didn't hurt too much.

But then she gave up, letting her soul be lifted from her body.

It was the least she could do.

But she felt her heart stop. A sharp, stinging pain shot throughout her chest.  And it hurt to breath. Her eyes shot wide open for a moment, but closed soon. Maybe that was the last of the world she got to see.

In the back of her mind, all the times she had spent with him flashed before her eyes. Before fading away into pitch black darkness.

All she heard was,

"OH SEYOUNG WAKE UP!"

Maybe we weren't meant to be.