Chapter Fifteen

Fluttering Hearts

It just happened that there were no classes the next day, so everyone was free to hangout and do whatever they wanted. Which obviously meant spending the entire day goofing around with your friends, or studying, for some.

Spending the day alone, for others.

Everyone was busy in someway or another. 

Everyone except for Oh seyoung. 

She tapped her feet and hummed in time to the song she was listening to, and scrolled through her mesaages. There were tons and tons of notifications.

What, was I dead or something?

She was reading all of the messages from her friends, when one of them caught her eye. A message from an unknown number.

Is everything going well?

"Is it someone I know?" She muttered, calling the number. It wasn't even two seconds after she held the pressed her phone against her ear that the owner picked up.

"Hello?" 

"It's been a long time." The voice that greeted her was.....not what she had expected to hear. It was so similar to the voice she had gotten used to talking to, face to face and over the phone everyday in the past.

No.

It wasn't similar, it was the same.

"Jongin, are you trying to fool me right now?" She asked. But deep down, she knew that this wasn't Jongin's voice. It was somewhat different. 

If anything, it was his voice.

"Come on, Seyoung-ah, don't tell me you forgot about me already? It's only been a year. I didn't know I was that unimportant."

Her eyes widened.

"K-Kai?"

"So you still remember me."

She couldn't speak. Or find a response. It was all too unreal. This had to be a lie.

"You should talk to your friends instead of staying in your room all day. You know I don't like it when you shut yourself up, don't you?"

"H-how do you know what I'm doing? Who are y-you?" The grip on her phone tightened.

"You told me that yourself just now."

Silence.

"I'll call you again, okay? Love you."

Beep.

The same two lines she had heard everynight before closing her eyes and drifting off to sleep. The same two lines she had answered with a smile on her face, knowing that the other would be smiling too.

"Seyoung?"

Seyoung was startled at the mention of her name, but quickly recovered when she saw that it was just Sehun. She was still holding her phone.

"Were you talking to someone? Aigoo, you look so pale." He placed his palm on her forehead, checking whether her temperature was normal. She looked too pale.

A tear rolled down her cheek.

"Are you...crying? I'm sorry, okay? You're not that pale! You're still pretty, okay?" 

She suddenly hugged him, her tears wetting the front of his shirt. For some reason, he felt the need to pat her head gently. And he did.

"What happened?"

"He called...me."

"Who called you?"

"........Kai.."

"WHAT? Isn't he dead?"

She pulled apart and looked up at her brother.

"He is dead. But.....the voice......was his."

"Are you sure you didn't imagine anything? It might have sounded like his voice."

"I can't mistake his voice. It wasn't like his voice, it was his voice."

"How can that be? Is he alive?"

"That can't be."

"I missed him...I missed him so much.." She could feel her eyes get watery again.

"It's okay. It's okay. We'll figure this out."

Sehun hugged her again. He had sounded confident, but right now, he was anythig but. He was still not completely convinced that it was Kai, but then again, neither did he hear anything.

Heck, I don't even know much about him.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

They were back in the basement again, this time with only Tao, Baekhyun, ,Jongin, Chanyeol, Seyoung, and Sehun.

Tao was typing away on his computer, he had connected her phone to it with a bunch of wires. Everyone was very quiet, amd you could see the tension written clearly on their faces, except for Tao, who prefered to mask his worry.

"Got it." He mumbled.

After a few clicks here and there, everyone jerked their attention to the phone when they heard Seyoung's voice on the line.

"Hello?"

What followed was shocking for everyone. Especially Jongin, because the voice sounded so much like his own. It had a few minor differences here and there, but the voice still resembled his.

He didn't know anything about what was going on until Sehun called him. It had took him a long time to explain everything to the clueless Jongin, who found it hard to believe. Infact, he was beyond surprised when Sehun sent him a picture of Kai from Seyoung's phone. 

It looked like they had taken a selca together. 

He decided not to talk to Seyoung about it, but it had at least explained why she had been acting weirdly at first.

That time in the lockerroom.

"Wow. This really isn't a joke. Who could've doen this?" Baekhyun said.

"I don't know, it feels like Kai is alive, and he's calling you. But after a year, would that even make sense?" Chanyeol asked.

"No. No. He's not alive. There's no way he's alive." Seyoung replied, her voice shaky. Suddenly she felt someone squeeze her hand. She looked up to see Jongin looking back at her.

His eyes said everything.

"It's going to be okay. You have us by your side."

"But...Seyoung, I'm sorry if I offend you or anything, but..did you see his dead body?"

Now that she thought about it....

"N-no..."

"You were there for his funeral?"

"I was still under a coma then.."

"Did you visit his grave?"

"They didnt tell me where it was.."

"Could you tell me what happened on the night he died? You must have been there with him or..."

"I was."

She took a deep breath before beginning.

She hadn't heard that voice call her name in ages. In her dreams, she always heard his voice from somewhere within a forest. It sounded so closeby, but it was so faraway. It was so faraway when she saw him infront of her. Smiling.

And then she'd smile too. And start running towards him. And he'd wait right there, with open arms. But she could almost feel the warmth of his body when he suddenly dissapears.

Over and over again.

And then, she'd be left with nothing to hold on to.

Nothing to think of.

Nothing at all.

"We were both in the forest that night."