Chapter Ten

Fluttering Hearts

Seyoung felt her phone vibrate in her hand. She looked at the screen to see a text notification. Opening it, she was greeted with a message from from her brother:

Seyoung-ah, let's get along, yes? Everything is going smoothly, we should be closer. I am your brother. ;)

She could see Sehun looking at her though the corner of her eyes and sighed. Seyoung half-heartedly typed a response, and pressed send. Sure enough, Sehun was quick to check his phone when it beeped. However, he saw something not so mood-lifting:

Just when I was going to forget about it. Oh well, you most certainly are my brother, which I don't remember having denied. You and I both know enough a secret to last a century, wouldn't you agree? ;)

"Does she not want to talk?" Luhan whispered into Sehun's ear, making the other jump a little. He put his phone away, nodding.

"Don't worry, I'm sure she'll come around soon. We're having such a great time today!" Luhan smiled at Sehun, who smiled back. He suddenly felt so much better.

Meanwhile, Baekhyun had been observing his friends with keen interst, having run out of things to do. He nudged Chanyeol, who was busy texting god-knows-who. 

"Yah! Park Chanyeol!" He hissed. Chanyeol looked up, eyes widened. He stared at his friend, who didn't say anythig in return, at least not yet.

"What happened?" He asked, face clouded with concern. He looked just like a giant plushie right now. Baekhyun found him too adorable for words. He could just kiss those soft lips-

NO. There was no way this was happening right now.

Snap out of it, Byun Baekhyun!

He motioned towards Seyoung and Jongin. Chanyeol finally understood what was going on when Baekhyun began wiggling his eyebrows.

"What did I tell you?" He grinned.

"It looks like they're going to start going out anytime soon." Chanyeol said, smiling.

"Seyoung-ah, what do you think?" Jongin asked, holding up a Choco Monster plushie that he had just won at the arcade.

"That's cute." She smiled. Deep inside, something clicked in her mind.

"Seyoung- ah! What do you think of this one?" Kai asked, holding up a Choco Monster plushie that he had won from an arcade earlier. 

"It's so cute!" Seyoung laughed, grabbing it from his hands and pulling it into a big hug.

"Even cuter than me?" Kai asked.

"Maybe. Maybe not." Seyoung said, smiling. Before she knew what was happening, Kai grabbed her waist and pulled her into a deep kiss. It didn't last for too long and was soft, passionate and gentle but they were smiling as it ended.

Kai pouted, making an extra effort to be cute. Which he never failed at.

"Is he still cuter than me? Really?"

"You're the CUTEST!" Seyoung half squealed. Kai doing aegyo was her one weekness. She wondered how someone could be so cute.

They laughed, locking their hands as they walked down the street, making their way back home.

Jongin noticed Seyoung staring at space, and waved his hands infront of her eyes. She didn't seem to notice, though. 

Just what is she thinking about?

"Do you want it?" He asked, to which the other hurriedly looked at him. She didn't hear half of what he said, but nodded. Surely it isn't something bad.

Minutes later, she had the plushie in her hands, and Jongin was smiling like an idiot. She hadn't minded when he had slung his arm around her. He felt so happy he could die happy tonight.

As for Seyoung, when she had felt his arm around her shoulder, she felt startled. The need to brush it off was looking at her in the face. 

But something stopped her.

Maybe it was the familiar feeling of warmth. 

Maybe it was the familiar feeling of how nobody could hurt her if he was there.

Maybe it was the familiar scent of vanilla.

Maybe it was how he was so gentle with her.

She looked up at Jongin, who was smiling to himself. She felt her heart speed up. Time seemed to stop, it felt like everything was in slow motion.

"Invite us over to your wedding, Jongin-ah!" Luhan said, grinning. Baekhyun patted Jongin on the back and the other two began snickering.

Jongin immediately turned red, and let go of Seyoung. He went to the grass maze and leaned on one of the walls. He covered his face, half smiling and half frowning.

"What are you doing, Kim Jongin? Get your head straight!" He cried. He was going to go back, when he heard footsteps. He quickly went to the center of the maze, which he wasn't very far, and peeked through the tiny holes in the walls of the maze.

It was Seyoung, and she looked like she was looking for him. She looked worried, or so it seemed. You couldn't really tell by the way she was so calm when moving through the maze. 

It was music to his ears, the way she called his name so softly.

Jongin waited until she reached the center. It didn't take long.

"There you are! I was wondering where you-"Seyoung was stopped in midsentence as Jongin took a step closer to her. His intense gaze seemed to keep her from doing anything at all. 

He leaned closer until their faces were centimeters apart. Seyoung felt her face turn red. 

"Here I am." He smiled at her.

"...Y-yeah. They were...looking...for you.." She managed to say.

Speak like a normal human being, Oh Seyoung! Just what is wrong with you?

"Let's..go." She said in a quiet voice.

Seyoung stepped away from him and turned around to leave when she felt a strong grip on her wrist, stopping her from doing so.

Jongin turned her around, pulling her close to him. She stared at him. He wasn't smiling this time. There was a look of reassurance plastered all over his face.

Jongin suddenly felt soft lips pressed against his own, as she slipped her arms around his neck. He was surprised at first, but soon understood what was happening. He kissed her back, gently.

She was on her tip-toes, and he pulled her closer, supporting her with his arms that were around her waist. There was no sense of urgency this time, like they had all the time in the world.

Or maybe time had stopped.

Jongin loved the way her lips felt on his. The way her eyes were closed. The way her hands were running through his hair. He loved everything in this moment.

And most of all, he loved her.

They pulled apart after what seemed like a century. Seyoung stared at Jongin, the taste of his lips still fresh in her mind. She finally realized what she had done, and her face turned bright red.

Without looking back to see if he was coming or not, she turned around, breaking into a run. Her cheeks were flushed and her heart was beating like it was going to burst out of her chest any moment.

She stopped at the entrance, catching her breath. Boy, was running in heeled shoes hard.

She fanned herself with her hands, praying that it would go away soon. She joined the others who were still chatting away as if nothing happened.

"Oh, Seyoung! Is he coming or what?" Baekhyun asked.

"Yes." She said.

"Why is your face so red?" Chanyeol asked, grinning.

"Me?" Seyoung pointed at herself. All four boys nodded.

"Did you two do something?" Luhan asked, smirking.

"Nothing you wouldn't do." Said a voice. Jongin had come out and was standing behind Seyoung, whose eyes widened.She went and stood next to Sehun, and Jongin stood next to her. She knew he could tell what she was thinking, and she hated it.

AISH why did you even do that?!?! Argh this is so frustrating! 

And just like that, she found herself standing between her brother and someone she couldn't quite place her relationship with.

"Hey, we should go back now, its getting dark." Luhan remarked.

"Who wanted to go to the arcade anyway?"

"Hey, it wasn't my fault that the competition was cancelled!"

"I didn't tell the lights to break either!"

"LET'S JUST GO BACK!"

"FINE!"

Nobody said a word as they all walked back to the academy. It wasn't too far away, which was a bliss, because by the time they got there, it was terribly dark and they couldn't have noticed the school if it wasn't for all the bright lights hung on the gate.

They all wished each other good night and went to their rooms. Jongin went with Seyoung until she reached hers.

"I guess this is goodbye." Jongin said.

"Today was fun, thanks Jongin." Seyoung said, smiling.

"You're welcome. Thanks for letting me hang out with you today." Jongin said. The two were silent, but neither of them had moved.

"Uh..goodnight." Jongin said. Without waiting for a response, he went to his room. Seyoung opened the door to her room, exhausted. She flopped down on her bed. What a day.

Suddenly, images of what had happened earlier in the maze flashed in her mind. 

"WHY DID YOU DO THAT?!?!" She cried taking her anger out on the Choco Monster plushie. She sighed, and got up.

I shouldn't be like this.

She apologized to the plushie, patting it's head.

She took a shower and changed into her Rainbow Dreamland pijamas. She felt herself drifting off to sleep the moment she closed her eyes.

Seyoung honestly had no idea she was this tired. Then again, it was as if she didn't want to sleep.

•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•