Chapter 9

What If...

Hyosun


“We’re back!!” Baekhyun exclaimed. He’s holding so many teddy bears. I wonder where he got that. I met eyes with Chanyeol but I immediately looked away. I can’t believe I just did that. Just because my brother told me that-

“Hyo!”

“Y..Yeah?”

“Why are you spacing out? We have a party to hold!”

“Oh,” I looked at Chanyeol who’s now talking with Haekyung. They… look good together. “Okay.”

I walked to the kitchen and grabbed some plates and utensils then placed them at the table. My brother turned the music on and the party started. I usually enjoy this kind of things but now, I suddenly can’t. I now know that I have a person I like which is so impossible. I can’t believe that I just said that back then. I told my brother that…

That I like Chanyeol.

“Hyosun?” Oppa called. “Are you listening?”

“Huh? Did you say something?”

“Are you being like that because of what I said earlier?”

“N..No! Why would I be? That’s in the past now oppa! It’s impossible for that to happen now!”

He sighs. “Hyosun, you don’t have to deny it just because I know it. What will you do if he starts to like someone else?”

“E..Eh?”

“Jaehyun-hyung! The speaker is not working here! Can you help?” Hyunshik called.

“Be right there!” My brother replied and headed there.

What will you do if he starts to like someone else?

What will I do if he likes somebody else? Isn’t it great? I mean, finally he’ll get a… girl. Wait. Is it why he asked me how to be a great boyfriend? Because he’s going to confess to a girl soon? Is.. Is that it? Is it.. Haekyung? Chanyeol likes Haekyung? What if he really likes her? What if Haekyung likes him too? What if-

“Hyosun.”

“C..Chan.” Just by staring at him makes me feel uneasy. I should ask him right? Whether or not he likes Haekyung. What if he says yes? What will I do?

“What are you doing here? Everyone’s- Sun? Are you crying?”

“Huh?” I touched my cheeks and felt tears coming out. Why am I crying? “Oh! Ahahaha! It’s nothing! I just yawned that’s all!”

“Hyosun.”

“I’m fine! Now go there! Have some fun okay?” I pushed him out of the kitchen and went back in. I’m crying. If those two really like each other, how would I feel? I suddenly feel myself in somebody’s arms. I looked up and saw Baekhyun. “B..Baekhyun.”

“Yeol told me that it’s like you’re acting different today. I guess you are.” I bit my lip and continued crying. I don’t even know why I’m crying right now.

“Baek…” I hold on to him. Ever since we’re small I always cry to Baekhyun like this and he always give me the soothing feeling.

“It’s okay. Cry all you want.” We stayed like this for a while then I pulled away. He smiled and wipes my tears away. “Are you alright now?”

“Yeah, all better.”

“Wanna talk about it?”

“I don’t think I can’t. I don’t even know why I cried.”

“Are you an idiot? You cried for nothing?”

I chuckled. “I know right? Ever since I saw Chan with Haekyung this morning I became like this.”

“W..What?”

“Why are you looking at me like that?”

“You cried.. because of those two?”

“I don’t know.” I sighed. “What will you do if those two like each other?”

“I don’t care.”

“Huh?”

“I don’t care whoever it is that Chanyeol will like. He can like anyone. I can support him. But,” he stands up and I took his hand. “If ever that he likes you, I can’t support that.”

“W..What?”

He leans closer to me and he looks serious. I don’t think the words that he’s saying right now are jokes. “I like you. If he ever likes you, I can never allow that.”

 “No! Ahahaha! I’m just hearing things right? Yeah! It’s just a dream!”

“Then let me prove you this time that it’s not a dream.” He leans closer and his lips met mine. He’s kissing me. We’re kissing! Oh my goodness! “You felt that right?”

“B…BYU..BYUN BAEKHYUN WHAT DID YOU JUST DO?!” I covered my lips with my hands and took in air for me to breathe. I can’t breathe. Oh my goodness he just kissed me?! He took my first kiss! NO!

“I kissed you.”

“H..How can you just say that without being embarrassed huh?!”

“I already told you. I like you.”

“Oh my god. You took my first kiss! What should I do?!” I swear to myself that whoever will get my first kiss will be my first boyfriend. Chan and Baek know that. But then, BAEKHYUN TOOK IT!

“Then should we date?”

“H..Huh?”

“It’s your choice. I’ll take responsibility for what I just did.”

“Should we?”

“Then let’s try it. Just for two weeks I’ll be yours and you’ll be mine.”

“Okay then.”

“Okay.”

Wow. That was easy. I never thought being in a relationship is this easy.

 

Chanyeol


I opened the door knob at my door and went in. I sat on the floor and leaned on the wall. It’s dark and I let myself sank into the darkness. Hyosun and Baekhyun are dating. Baekhyun just kissed her. Tears flowed from my eyes and they are not stopping. Just when I finally get myself to be motivated to tell her my feelings, Baekhyun overtook me again.

“Rooting for them… How can I make myself do that?” I mumbled with a hoarse voice. I’m being pathetic again. I hate myself when I’m like this. I hate it when Hyosun makes me pathetic. I hate Hyosun and I love her. I walked to my bed and tried to sleep. Yeah, sleeping will wipe all of this away. I waited for more but it doesn’t come. I can’t sleep. I hate it. It’s so painful.

••••••••••••••••••••••

The morning came and I didn’t get an hour or minute of sleep. I just realized that I’m already at school. I’m not myself today again. I walk my way on our classroom and I don’t feel well. I think I’m going to be sick. I opened the door and nobody’s inside so I glanced at the clock. It’s still 6.

“Oh, I’m early.” I mumbled and walked to my seat. Things are quiet without the students in here. This classroom is empty, just like I am. I lay my head on my table and waited. I waited and waited. Time seem to pass. I suddenly felt heave and sleepy. “Hyosun…” I mumbled her name. The name that’s been my everything.

“Hyosun..” I repeated.

“Oh? I’m here Chan.”

I smiled. “I’m hearing and seeing things. I’m seeing Hyosun now huh?”

“Chan? Are you alright? You look pale.”

“Hyosun-ah…” I said with a hoarse voice.

“Yeah?”

“Hyosun-ah…” I kept on repeating her name. I’m desperate for her. “You’ve been my everything… except for one thing.. You’re not mine…” 

••••••••••••••••••••••

The bell rang and the students started to come inside the classroom. Chanyeol have been sleeping for an hour and had been pale. “Oh? What’s wrong with him?” Baekhyun asked Hyosun who’s been staring at him for a while.

“I don’t know, I think he’s not well. He’s being pale.”

“EH? He even left without me.”

“He left alone?” Baekhyun nodded.

“Does he have a fever?” Haekyung asks. She walks closer to Chanyeol and touched his forehead. Hyosun clenched his fist on her skirt and looks away. It still pains her to see the two of them together. Even if she’s now dating Baekhyun. “Oh my goodness he’s burning!”

“WHAT?!” Hyosun and Baekhyun exclaimed which brings Chanyeol to wake up. He opens his eyes and saw th three standing in front of him.

“Oh? You’re… all here?” he said with a hoarse voice.

“Chan are you alright?! You have a fever!”

Chanyeol stared at Hyosun then to Baekhyun. He felt a sting on his heart and he felt like crying. He endured it and sat up. “I’m fine. It’s nothing.”

“But Yeol!!” Baekhyun whined.

“I’m alright. You don’t have time to worry about me. You have to look after Hyosun right?”

“Eh? Me?”

“Yeah. You’re dating right?”

“HOW DID YOU-“ “Really?!!” Baekhyun, Haekyung and Hyosun said in unison.

“I heard you both last night.”

Baekhyun and Hyosun suddenly flushed. They both remembered the scene last night. Did he also saw it when Baekhyun kissed Hyosun? They were about to ask that question when the teacher came in so they are both forced to take their seats. As the lesson goes on Hyosun felt uneasy and has been itching to ask Chanyeol if he saw everything. But if he did see everything, will that make a difference?

The bell rings and it’s time for lunch. Hyosun was about to approach Chanyeol when he stood up first and left the classroom. She followed him and saw him heading to the restroom. She waited for a couple of minutes but Chanyeol haven’t still left the restroom.

“Eh? I wonder if his stomach is alright. It’s been twenty minutes since he entered the restroom.” She mumbled and continued to wait. Another ten minutes have passed and it’s already been thirty minutes since Chanyeol entered the restroom. “Is he alright?”

Hyosun decided to go in to check if Chanyeol’s fine. She opened the door cautiously and scanned the place. “Chan?” she called but there’s no answer. She opened the cubicle one by one until she reached the last. “Chan? Are you in the-“ her eyes widen seeing a hand on the floor. She immediately opened it and saw Chanyeol who’s unconscious. “CHANYEOL!!” she tried to shake him up but he doesn’t wake up.

“Chan please wake up!” She bit her lip and started to cry in worry then called Baekhyun.

“Hey! Where the hell are you?! Haekyung and I are dying of hun-“

“Baek..Chan.. Chanyeol! Help me!!”

Baekhyun noticed that Hyosun’s voice is hoarse, he then realized that she’s crying. “Where are you?”

Baekhyun and Haekhyun rushed to the second floor and opened the restroom where Chanyeol is. They both found Hyosun crying with Chanyeol lying on her lap unconscious.”CHANYEOL!” Baekhyun exclaimed. He immediately carried Chanyeol on his back and they all rushed to the clinic. Baekhyun placed him gently at the bed and the school nurse checked on him.

“Don’t worry. He probably fainted because of his fever. He’ll be alright.”

“Oh thank goodness.” Hyosun sighed in relief. Baekhyun saw how worried Hyosun is for Chanyeol and he doesn’t like it.

“I’ll be back later. I will just go to do faculty to do something okay?” The nurse said.

“Yes.” They all replied.

“I’ll go and take our food. You can both just stay here.” Haekyung said then left. Hyosun’s eyes are fixed over to Chanyeol in worry and she was waiting for him to wake up.

“Let’s break up.” Baekhyun mumbled.

“E..Eh? Baekhyun what are you-“

“You like him don’t you? You like Chanyeol.”