Chapter 19

What If...

Hyosun and Baekhyun unconsciously stands from their seats surprised. Chanyeol was quite surprised too. He didn't expect that he's going to be enrolled at the same school as Hyosun and Baekhyun. He looks at Ahyoung and she's smirking.

"You..planned this?" Chanyeol asks.

"Who knows?" Ahyoung replied.

"Byun Baekhyun! Ahn Hyosun! Take your seats!" The teacher exclaimed. "Sorry about that. Go on you two."

Ahyoung and Chanyeol introduced theirselves and headed to their seats. Hyosun and Baekhyun were still in shock and couldn't take their eyes off Chanyeol. The bell for the first class came and Baekhyun ran towards Chanyeol. He grabbed his collar and glared at him. 

"What the hell? Why are you here?! What do you think are you doing?!"

"Baekhyun calm down." Hyosun said. "They're looking at us. We should..find a place to talk." 

"Then can I come?" Ahyoung said.

"Ahyoung stay out of this."

"Even if I want to, I don't think I can." She said and headed out. Baekhyun lets go of Chanyeol and they all followed Ahyoung. Hyosun looks at them with curiosity. Who's that girl? Why is she talking with familiarity to Chanyeol? Were the questions that she wanted to ask. She met eyes with Chanyeol and he looks at her in pain.

"Well?! Care to explain?! What with this ?" Baekhyun exclaimed.

"Chanyeol, did you..fooled us? Y..You didn't really die." Chanyeol bit his lip not knowing what to do and things are not going as he planned. Now it's all messed up.

Hyosun started crying. "Why?" She asks and walks closer to Chanyeol. She holds his cheeks to make him face her. "Look at me. Why did you do that?"

Chanyeol bit his lower lip. He can't stand looking at Hyosun cry. "He left for me." Ahyoung said. "I'm his girlfriend."

"W..What?"

"Ahyoung!"

"WHAT THE HELL PARK CHANYEOL!" Baekhyun threw a punch at Chanyeol's face. Chanyeol fell on the ground and his lower lip started bleeding. 

Hyosun stood there frozen as she looks at Ahyoung. The man that she loves, the man that she thought were long gone and dead for all this time, have left for another girl. "I would appreciate if you stay away from Chanyeol. That would be great." 

"Okay." Hyosun grabs Baekhyun's hand and helped him stand. "Let's go. The next class..will start."

"Hyosun."

"We're going to be late." 

Chanyeol was about to go after Hyosun but Ahyoung stopped him. "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING AHYOUNG?!"

"You can't be with her or else something bad will happen. Just do what you're told." 

Baekhyun watch Hyosun as she stayed silent for the next class. Even at the laboratory, she didn't talk to Jinyoung. Jinyoung approached Baekhyun when the bell rang for their lunch. Hyosun remained seated and didn't even budge. 

"What's wrong with her?"

"A bastard showed up." Baekhyun replied while looking at Chanyeol. Jinyoung's eyes widen getting what he meant.

"Wait, so that's the same Chanyeol?! I thought he's dead?"

"That's what she thought too. I guess he's reborn as a bastard." Baekhyun walks to Hyosun and takes her hand. "Hey Hyo? It's lunch time."

"Huh? What?"

"It's lunch time Hyosun, shall we go and eat?" Jinyoung repeated. 

"Oh," she met eyes with Chanyeol but she looks away. "Alright." 

The three of them headed to the greenhouse to eat. Jinyoung saw that Hyosun is just staring at her lunch which is still wrapped. He takes her lunch out and gives her the chopsticks but she didn't hear a thing and just stared blankly. Baekhyun grew pissed and takes her chopstick. He stabbed a fruit with it and placed it on . Hyosun flinch in surprise.

"B..Baekhyun!"

"What do you think you're doing?" He said. He picks his chopsticks up and continued eating. 

Jinyoung chuckled. "It would be great if you eat Hyosun."

"Oh," Hyosun looked at her lunch and realized that she hasn’t eaten a thing. "Ahaha! I guess I spaced out for a second huh?"

Jinyoung and Baekhyun looked at her and sigh. Hatred now grew to Baekhyun. After eating their lunch, Jinyoung said that it will be great if they were to go on a walk and they did. He didn't like Hyosun's expression and stepped in front of her.

"Jinyoung."

"Hyosun, can you close your eyes for a second?" He asks.

"HEY! WHAT ARE YOU ASKING TO CLOSE HER EYES FOR?!" Baekhyun enraged.

"You'll see." Hyosun closed her eyes and waited for Jinyoung to ask her to open it. "Now open it."

"Uh, Jinyoung.."

"I appreciate that you're trying to cheer her up.. But that.. You used all of your dignity in there." Baekhyun sighed looking at Jinyoung's twisted face. Hyosun chuckled at their cuteness.

"Ahh she laughed." Jinyoung smiled.

"At least you dignity's not wasted."

Hyosun smiled. "Thanks you two." She said. "I'm sorry that you seem to be troubled. But I promise I won't be down anymore!" 

"That would be great." Jinyoung smiled and ruffled Hyosun's head.

"Hey! Take your hands off! Why are you with us anyways?!"

"I'm Hyosun's friend the time you ignored her."

"I'm her childhood friend!"

"I'm the one who made her laugh just now."

"I'm-"

"Okay that's enough." Hyosun cut them off.

Chanyeol watches the scene from afar. His heart aches as he watches them from afar. "At least she's happy." He said then walks away.

••••••••••••••••••••••

The long day for Hyosun continues. Math time and together with Baekhyun, they rushed to Jinyoung to be able to be taught how to solve the equation. Chanyeol didn't like it though. Back then, he used to teach the two of them math and now, his childhood friends have turned against him to another person. 

"Looks like you don't like what's happening." Ahyoung said and continued answering the answer flawlessly.

"What's there not to like?" Chanyeol replied.

"Are you listening Hyosun?" Jinyoung waved his hand to her and she snaps out of her thought. "Chanyeol again huh?"

"Help me you two! I know I promised not to think about my situation anymore but it keeps on popping out!"

"Then why don't you start anew with him? Both of you can."

"Anew?" Baekhyun and Hyosun said in unison. "How?"

Jinyoung chuckled at their cuteness. "Like back to nothing. Pretend that you both just know him for the first time."

Baekhyun smirks. "Sounds good to me."

"Okay now back to our activity. Try using this equation to be able to answer this. Now get it?"

"Yeah!" Hyosun replied. "Oh? Yah Baekhyun! You're already finished answering!"

"Am I?"

"Actually, he already knows how to solve it. I don't even know why he's here with us." Jinyoung replied and chuckled.

"Geez." Hyosun continued answering while she's deep in thought. "Start anew huh?"

••••••••••••••••••••••

Hyosun


And when I thought that this day can't get any worse, I was paired up with Chanyeol for our art project. We are asked to do a diorama of an ancient architecture. Great right? And I was thinking to do it on my own but I can't seem to put things together though. Anyways, I am going to start anew with him. I'm ignoring the fact that he left us for another girl and I'm just going to wait until he talks for himself.

"Hello! I'm Ahn Hyosun! I'll be your partner so please be considerate of me!" I cheerfully but deep inside, depressingly introduced myself. Chanyeol, as expected looks surprised. 

"What are you doing Hyosun? And talking to me formally on top of that?"

"What are you saying Chanyeol-ssi? We just met right? You’re my new classmate!" His expression changed. I know I just hurt him but it can't be compared to what I felt about what he has done. He continued to search on the shelves something that can be somehow related to traditional Korean architecture. He grabs a book and scans through it. I can't take it. I want to talk to him and tell him that I miss him but no. I won't. I'm going to start anew. 

"When are you available?"

"E..Eh?"

"I'm talking about the project," Oh, just when I thought of something else. "Where and when do you want to do it?"

"Oh I-"

"I think Saturday will be good though. We can also work on my place. There's a spot where we can work. How is it?"

You didn't give me a chance to talk and you planned it all out. How does he expect me to say something else to contradict his idea? Chanyeol you big jerk! "Ah yeah.. That would be nice."

"That's good then. I'll pick you up at 8 then." He closes the book and returned it at the shelf. I guess he memorized the structure. That's how he is. Most of him that is.

I sighed and headed back to the classroom with him. Ahyoung was waiting for him. She smiles when she sees us. "Let's go?" She asks Chanyeol and he nods. 

"Are you going back with someone? If you wan-"

"No." I smiled and grabbed my bag. "I walk back home with Jinyoung and Baekhyun. Well then, I'm going on ahead." 

I left the classroom and walked downstairs. Students pass through me and I think I'm walking with a big screen on top of my head with lights on it saying I just got officially dumped by my boyfriend. I opened my locker and grabbed my history book in exchange for my language book. I closed my locker and I unconsciously started bumping my head on it. I feel like a huge idiot right now. Why am I bumping my head for no reason? After the next bump, I felt a hand on my forehead.

"What?"

"What do you think you're doing?" Baekhyun looks at me weirdly, so does Jinyoung. Now the words in my screen changed to I just got humiliated in front of these people.

"Why are you bumping your head on the locker?" Jinyoung asks.

"I don't know. I'm snapping myself back to reality."

"Did Chanyeol say something wrong? I'm going to beat him up." 

"No." I hold his hand back to stop him. "I think I just snapped back to reality. Let's go home.."

Because of my humiliation in front of the stupid locker, we missed the four o'clock bus. "I'm so sorry. We missed the bus."

"It's alright. Baekhyun and I were just talking if we can all go out for refreshments. I think this is a perfect time. The next bus will be at," Jinyoung scanned the bus schedule and his finger stopped at the part. "At six. I guess that will be enough for us to doze off a little." He smiled.

"I agree." Baekhyun replied. "So, I was planning if we can go biking, then we could go at the theme park and then have us to eat at my favorite grill restaurant and then go for a stroll at the park and do some fireworks."

Jinyoung and I were blank. He just got everything planned beforehand and I think if we followed his plan, we have to wait for the next bus which is at seven thirty. "Uh Baekhyun? If we follow what you want, we might not be able to go home."

"Oh is that so?" Baekhyun seemed disappointed. I smiled. It's been a while since I last saw him looking forward to something. 

"We can do all that. I'll just ask Jongsuk or Jaehyun oppa to pick us up." 

"Really??!!" Baekhyun's face brightened up and hangs his arms on us. "Then let's get started! We have no time to lose!"

••••••••••••••••••••••

Jongsuk sighs and sat on his chair to rest. There's been a lot of commotion at the hospital because of accidents and he's been going through several surgeries every hour. Now somehow, everything has been put on halt for him, he decided to get some rest and catch his breath before everything starts again. He checks the time and it's already seven. He sighs in defeat.

"Still an hour left." Jaehyun mumbled and places a drink on his desk. "Getting a hang of it?"

Jongsuk chuckled and opened his drink, chugging it all in. "I don't think so. Even if I'm doing it for a year already, I think I'm going to die in exhaustion." 

Jaehyun chuckled. "So, I wanted you to see this." He places a paper on Jongsuk's desk and he opens it. It's the details on Hyosun's eye surgery a year ago. "This was forged. I was feeling weird about it when I saw it. And it turns out that Chanyeol's alive. I got someone following him."

"Who do you think is the one who have done this?"

"That's what I've been digging out. It seems like this person is somehow related to the person who wanted to kill you both."

"Does Hyosun know?"

"I think so. I heard he enrolled at the same school as to where she and Baekhyun are going. And it seems like he's not alone." He places a couple of photos on Jongsuk's desk. Jongsuk takes it and scans all of the photos. "I think Hyosun's been hiding it to us."

"I have to talk to Chanyeol without Hyosun knowing." Jongsuk said. "I have to know why he did it."

"You sure you can do it?"

"I have to. Can you go and pick Hyosun with the others at the park? I'm going to Chanyeol's."

"At the park?! She hasn’t gone home yet?!"

Jongsuk chuckled. "No, it turns out that she missed the bus because of certain problems. They headed out to hang around but then they missed the bus for the second time."

Jaehyun sighs. "I don't think so. I'm assuming that they missed it on purpose."

"I know. But I think Hyosun needs air right now. I know she's not having a good time about what's happening."

••••••••••••••••••••••

Hyosun


"1,2,3!" 

Baekhyun snaps a photo of us inside the Air Balloon ride. The ride rises and it starts spinning around. We all chuckled in excitement as the ride goes on. I can see lights sparkle under us as the ride rises up. After the ride, we headed to the nearest cotton candy stall and help ourselves with some sweets. We continue our stroll on the amusement park. That Air Balloon ride was our last one. We rode five different exotic rides once we stepped in, the only ride that we didn't get in is the merry-go-round which is right in front of us. I stopped and stared at it. Three little kids were riding in it. A girl and two boys. I smiled reminiscing the past.

"We're not getting in that stupid ride." Baekhyun declared. I know why. I know the reason why he doesn't want to get in it. It's because the ride reminds him of Chanyeol and so do I. I feel bad for Jinyoung being here with us when we ended up not riding this. Baekhyun walks ahead of us while munching on his second cotton candy. 

"Why did he call that innocent ride for children a stupid ride?" Jinyoung asked.

I smiled. "We used to ride that. Together with Chanyeol."

"Oh I see." He understands. Without even explaining it all, I know Jinyoung knows what I meant by that. I think that's one of the reason why Baekhyun gets the hang of Jinyoung. When he's curious, he asks. But when he knows that the conversation isn't getting into something good, he stops. He always knows his limit. But up to now, I think Baekhyun's opening up to Jinyoung. It's like.. he's taking the spot for Chanyeol.

"Say Jinyoung?"

"Yes?" 

"Is there something going on between you and Haekyung? I don't seem to see you hanging around with her that often."

"Nothing really. She comes by my house still often but we agreed to focus on our study that’s why we don't hang around at school."

"Oh I see.."

"We're not like you three you know? We did grow up together, but Haekyung's a little bit private. "

"Is that so?"

"Yeah, and I'm a little surprised to hear that she likes that guy." He chuckled and points at Baekhyun. I smiled and nod in agreement.

"Hey guys?" Baekhyun called from afar. His hands rose on his head and he looks gloomy. "I'm-"

"Yeah yeah, I know. Let's go eat." Jinyoug looks at me perplexed. "Those are signs that he's hungry."

"Oh I see." He replies. 

Baekhyun leads us to his favorite grill restaurant and orders the usual. Two plates of meat and soondae. He starts munching on the meat after they are cooked. He's really something. My phone rings and I answer it. "Hello?"

"I thought we agreed to meet at the bus stop? Where the hell are you young lady?"

"Jaehyun oppa? From what I remember, I thought I talked with Jongsuk oppa and not you."

"He asked me because he has an errand to do."

"So you're picking us up?" 

"I don't get where this conversation is getting to."  I chuckled. 

"We're at Baekhyun's favorite grill restaurant near the theme park."

"You went to a theme park?!! Ahn Hyosun you know that it's not a day for you to doze around right?!"

"I know." I know that. But when I saw Baekhyun's eyes earlier, it's been a long time since I last saw him looking forward to something. I can't just break that. "Just pick us up will you?"

"Will you ask more nicely?" I hear him sigh at the other line. "Fix your foot at that place got that?" 

"Okay." I sing song and smiled. I looked at Jinyoung and Baekhyun. They're having so much fun. Maybe this is it. A start of anew for us. Not only for me but for all of us.

"Say Hyosun." Baekhyun said.

"What?"

"Right now I'm going to say something that might make you get mad at me. But I think it's for the best so I'm saying it." I nod giving him a signal to go on. "You remember the day before Chanyeol went missing?"

I nod. So this conversation is about Chanyeol. I don't like the sound of that but I still hear him out. "Actually, I know that he will leave. He just told me not to tell you. He told me that he'll be back after fixing things up. He seems to know who are those people who plans to kill you."

I widen my eyes in surprise. So he knows all along? Wait, is it even fine if Jinyoung will hear it all? "W..Wait. Baekhyun, will it be fine with Jinyoung hearing it all?"

"Yes, because he already knows beforehand."

"I see." My eyes are getting darker in anger as I look at these two. They planned it all huh? But when I think of it, they're not at fault. Especially Baekhyun. He doesn’t intentionally kept it for me to suffer. He was just asked to do so. I sigh to calm myself down and gave it a minute of silence. After I calmed down, I opened my eyes and smiled. 

"T..That's it?" He asked.

"Yes."

"You're not going to hit me?" I grin. He asked for it. I lift my hand and hit him right on his face. He gasps. Jinyoung gasped. Tears flowed right through me and I'm crying. I hate him. I really do. I stand up and pick up my bag. 

"Just tell my brother I'm going home by myself." And I left.

••••••••••••••••••••••

I don't know where I am right now and how I got in here. I sat at the sidewalk and wipe my tears away but it just kept on coming out. "Ugh, I'm crying again." I mumbled to myself. Just an hour ago, I'm having fun with Jinyoung and Baekhyun but then on a split second here I am, crying in a subdivision that I don't even know how I got here. 

"Hyosun?" I stand up hearing a familiar voice. Am I hearing things or did I just hear Chanyeol? I don't bother wiping my tears away because it's a waste. I pick up my bag and just continued walking but when I turn, I really see him. I see Chanyeol in front of me. "It's really you!" He said and smiled but then his smile disappears as he looks at me. I think he just saw me crying. I can feel my big screen above my head starting to light again and says you just got humiliated for the second time! Congratulations! I turn my back against him and wipe my tears. Now they stopped.

"Wait!" He holds me back and makes me face him. I look down and hide my face. I look incredibly horrible right now. "Why are you crying? Is it my fault?" He asked with a soft voice. My heart breaks and I started crying again. I hit him hard at first but then, it seems like my energy is being out by my emotions so I am hitting him softly right now.

"Yes! It's your entire fault! All of you! You fooled me! You! Baekhyun! Jinyoung! All of you.." I sink on my knees crying. I hug myself like I'm freezing in winter. I don't know what to do right now but here I am, crying in front of the guy that I love the most. Winter suddenly turned to summer and I felt warmth all over me. I felt him holding my cheeks and he's crying too. "Chanyeol.." I said surprised. 

"I'm sorry." That's the last word that I've heard then I felt his lips against mine.