Chapter 7

What If...

Hyosun


“Really? Are you sure you haven’t heard the name Lee Mijoo seongsaengnim?” I asked

“I’m afraid not Hyosun. I’ve been teaching for ten years now and that’s the first time I have heard of that name.” Teacher Yoo replied.

“Oh I see.. Thank you then!” I said then left the faculty room.

That’s odd. There must’ve been some sort of mistake. If Lee MIjoo is really going to this school,  should’ve seen her already. But why is it that I can’t find her? And I even thought that asking Teacher Yoo will be the best choice since he’s been teaching here for so long. Even if she’s younger than me, I’m sure that Teacher Yoo will know her, but why? I fetched my phone and called Jongsuk-ssi.

“Hello?”

“Jongsuk-ssi, um.. Can I ask you something?”

“Sure. What is it?”

“Um.. You see, I asked my teacher if he knows Lee Mijoo-ssi. But it turns out that he doesn’t know anyone by that name. Are you sure that’s her name? Please don’t be offended because I know that she’s your sister but you see.. you both got separated when you’re still young right? So-“

I heard him chuckle. Did I say something funny? “You’re such a fun person Hyosun-ssi. Don’t worry I’m not offended. And yes, I am sure of that name. But for now, I just know that she’s going at the same school as yours because my detective told me. I’m suspecting that the family that may have taken my sister changed her name. That’s what I’ve been finding out right now.”

“Oh right! You have a point!”

He laughs. “ I really enjoy talking with you. Do you mind having lunch with me sometime?”

“Of course!”

“That’s great then. Just tell me when you’re available okay?”

“Sure!”

“Talk to you next time then.”

“Okay, see you next time!” I said then hang up. That’s it! Jongsuk-ssi has a point! I think that is why I haven’t seen her still! Why haven’t I think of that?

I walked back to our classroom and took my seat. I wonder if he still remembers what she looks like. Hmm.. I’m afraid not right? I mean she’s still a little girl back then. Jongsuk-ssi may probably be just five years old then. I don’t know why I’m very curious to where she is but all I know is that I wanted to help Jongsuk-ssi find her little sister.

“What are you doing?” Baek asks pointing his pen at me.

“Oh?”

“You’re spacing out.”

“Oh nothing special. Just thinking.”

“About what?”

“Jongsuk-ssi.”

“WHAT?! THAT GUY AGAIN?! NOW YOU LIKE HIM?!”

“What?! No! That’s not it! It’s something else!”

He narrows his eyes at me and looks at me pathetically. I rolled my eyes at him and chuckled. “You’re hiding something from me aren’t you?”

“Think whatever you want Baek but I’m not telling you. It’s confidential.”

“Confidential my face.”

The bell rings and Teacher Lee came in. She’s our homeroom and English teacher. She places her things down at the table and walks closer to us with a pile of papers with her. “Stand!” Our class president exclaims and we all stood up. “Bow!”

“Good Morning Teacher Lee!” we all said in unison.

“Good Morning. Take a seat.” And we all did. “Now I have an important announcement to make. We are all going to have a field trip at the province. Here are the slips Get one and pass.” She gives the slips at the person in front and the person in front started distributing the slips until I get mine. “As you can see, this is no ordinary field trip. You can say that it’s like a team building.”

Team building means outdoor activities. I hate moving. Ugh. The class starts to get excited and mumbled things like “That means we’ll get into teams!” and “Oh! I hope that I’ll get a chance to be teamed up with Chanyeol or Baekhyun!” I rolled my eyes and sighed. Well guess what people! How I wish I won’t be teamed up with them. It’ll b a ruckus if I do. I hate it when things get too noisy. I bet if I get teamed up with them, girls will start to fan girl over them and I hate being in between.

“Okay, now all I need is for you to give those slips to your parents or guardians and return them to me within the week. I know everyone wants to go so do as your told okay?”

“Yes!” They all replied. I noticed that Haekyung was being quiet and she’s stared at her slip. She’s the person that I’m expecting to be the most excited out of all the people here in class because it’s her first field trip. I wonder what’s wrong.

“Haekyung-ah.”

“Yeah?”

“Something wrong?”

“Oh, um..” She looks to her slip then to me. “I don’t think I can go.”

“Why? It’s your first field trip.”

“Yeah but… I’m not sure if Unnie will allow m. We’re not that close.”

I smiled. “Just try. It won’t hurt if you try right?”

“Yeah but still..”

“Don’t worry. If your sister won’t allow you then I won’t go either. That way, you’re not going to be out casted alone when the class returns from the trip right?”

“You don’t have to do that for me…”

“Oh don’t worry about me. I have gone to tons of field trips. And I told you right? I’m gonna make your first year in school the best school year you’ll ever have.”

She smiles and nods. “Thank you Hyosun.”

••••••••••••••••••••••

“Oh my gosh!” I exclaimed in surprise. Baek suddenly slammed his hand on my table. “What?”

“We need to talk.” He said then walked outside. I’m guessing that I have to follow him right? So I did. He leads me to the rooftop and I walked in. He blocks he door and I saw Chan too If I don’t know them, I may have mistook them for planning a murder. Things are creepy right now,

“What’s with you two? You’re both creeping me our right now.”

“Not going to the trip huh?”

“What?” I eyed Baekhyun a weird look but then I get what he is talking about. “What’s wrong with that?”

He frowned and sighed. “Chan Chan! Look at her! She’s not even caring for us anymore!”

Chanyeol sighed and pats his head. “I told you not to call me that and no, she just got a new friend she still care for us right Sun?”

“Yeah!” I nod. “Of course you both are still my best friends!”

They both looked gloomy after hearing that. Here we go again. I have so many mysteries in my life and this is one of them. “Ugh, you guys! What’s wrong with you lately huh?!”

“No matter how many times we tried to show you, you’re too dumb to understand so just continue on living you life idiot.”

“Chan! He just called me an idiot!”

“I spoiled you both too much huh?” Chanyeol mumbled and sighed. “Let’s do this then. I can see that Baekhyun’s being jealous of Haekyung-“

“I’m not being jealous! I..I just wanted Hyo to be just ours!” Baekhyun said.

“That’s being jealous.” I added.

Chanyeol cleared his throat and continued. “As I was saying. We’ll just all welcome Haekyung to be our true friend okay? That way we’ll all be receiving equal attention from each other.”

“Agreed!” we all said in unison. We went back to the classroom to get Haekyung. But we can’t find her.

“Oh? She’s not here.”

“Let’s search for her.” Chanyeol said.

“Roger~” Baekhyun and I said in unison.

“Oh? Chan, why are you going alone?”

“I always go alone. Now both of you search for Haekyung together.”

“Ah wai-“ and he left. I know what he’s doing. He wants us to spend time alone and reflect. Sometimes Chanyeol acts like a mother to the both of us whenever Baekhyun and I fight. “Let’s go.” Baekhyun mumbled. He’s silent on our way to find Haekyung-ssi.

“I’m sorry.” I stopped on my tracks. I was about on planning to say it first but he got me. “I’m really sorry Hyosun. I didn’t mean to get mad at you I just…  I just got jealous all of a sudden.”

“It’s alright but, can I ask a question?”

“You’re not going to harass me with that question right?”

“Stop the crap Baek.”

“Alright go ahead.”

“Why are you and Chan being so sensitive when I call you my friends? I mean, you’re both right?” he’s expression changes but I can say that he’s not mad. He looks up and stopped like that for a minute.

“There are just things that we’re afraid to tell you because we thought that if we do,” he said then looks at me. “We’re afraid that our friendship will end.”

“What?”

“Like this, What if we’ll tell you the truth and you run away from us? What if we’ll tell you the truth and you’re just going to act differently from us?”

“You’re annoying.”

“See? THAT’S WHY I HATE YOU SAYING WHAT IFS!” he sighs. “We need you too much in our lives Hyosun. That’s why it’s better not to know.”

“Baekhyun..”

“Hey guys!” I looked back and saw Chanyeol with Haekyung. “Found her.”

“Haekyung-ah!” I approached them. “We’ve been searching for you!”

“Oh sorry! I was in the restroom.”

“Oh we haven’t thought of that.”

We all headed to the greenhouse and we set up our food. For today, Baekhyun told us that he’ll bring something so important when it comes to lunches so we are all looking forward to it. I brought us some side dishes, Chanyeol brought fruits, as usual, and Haekyung brought us tempuras. Baekhyun places his container at the middle and we all looked forward to what it is.

“Oh.” We all said in disappointment. He brought… rice.

“WHY THE HELL DID YOU BRING THAT?!” I exclaimed.

“Why? This is the most important element when it comes to lunches!”

“Yes, and you’re the worst.”

“Hey! I cooked that!”

Chanyeol and Haekyung laughs. “Okay that’s enough.”

“But Chan-“

“Yeol! You’re birthday’s coming up right?” Baekhyun said. Ugh, this guy! He’s cutting me out right now huh! But yeah! Now that he said it, Chanyeol’s birthday is coming up!

“Oh yeah! The 27th of November!!”

“Oh I see!” Haekyung added. “Did you two planned on something?”

Baekhyun and I met eyes and felt guilty. The thing is, we still haven’t planned on something! And to call us his best friends! We’re a total failure. “Oh.. um.. Ahahaha! That is…”

“You haven’t?”

“Oh um…”

“Then how about this? What do you want for your birthday Chanyeol?” Haekyung asks.

“Me?” he pointed at himself and started thinking. We know what that is and we still can’t afford to buy him a new guitar. “I think they both know what I want.”

“Eh? What is that then?”

“He wants a new guitar… we can’t afford to buy one.. We’re still short because we love to buy new albums.. I just bought myself a new album of APink..” Baekhyun said. “This girl bought another album of Infinite.”

“Oh..” Haekyung said in disappointment. “Then can I suggest something?”

“What’s that?”

“How about Chanyeol spending time with both of you?”

“Um.. we do that every year Haekyung.”

“No I mean, like an alone separate time. Chanyeol with Baekhyun and Chanyeol with Hyosun.”

“ME?! Alone time with me?” I’m in trouble. I can’t have fun without the combination BAEK-HYO-CHAN!

“How about it Chanyeol?”

Chanyeol smiles. He seems to like the idea. “Seems good. I like it.”

••••••••••••••••••••••

The day before Chanyeol’s birthday came. It’s now the 26th of November. I still have a few more hours left to plan on what to do with Chan’s alone time with me. But guess what? I still have nothing! What should I do? Should I call Chanyeol and ask him? But it won’t be a surprise anymore! I stare at my phone and think. Should I call or not? I should right? No! Ugh! This is driving me crazy. I sigh in defeat. That’s it! I’m calling!

“Hello?”

“Chan~ Happy Birthday!”

“Uh Sun? There’s still an hour before my birthday. It’s still 11 pm.”

“Still~ I greeted you first right?”

“Um no. Baekhyun just called.” Ish! That guy defeated me again! Just wait for next year Byun Baekhyun! “So why did you called?”

“Um… you see.. I’m in a dilemma with what to plan on doing tomorrow.”

“We can just do anything. I’m fine with anything.”

“But that won’t be fun!”

“Well, what do you want me to do then?”

“Is there something that you would like to do with me for a day? Anything will do!”

“There is something. But I’m not sure if you can do it.”

“Chanyeol, if you’re going to ask me to go with you with a Dubunew costume I won’t.”

He laughs. “It’s not that. I’ve wanted to learn it since then.”

“What is it?! Tell me already!!”

“You sure?”

“A hundred percent yes!”

“Then teach me how to be a boyfriend for a day.”


Hahaha! Finished it earlier than expected ^^ Anyways~ Enjoy and leave your comments my dear readers~~

- ninakim0428_inspirit <3 <3