Chapter 16

What If...

Hyosun


"Okay, I'll remove this Hyosun-ssi. On count of three, Can you slowly open your eyes and tell me if you can see something?" 

The doctor said. I felt something off as he removes the bandage of me. He started to count to three and I did as I am told. I slowly open my eyes and bit by bit, light started to enter. Things are blurry at first but then I can see someone. Baekhyun. He's looking at me worried right now. I scanned the room and they're all here. Baekhyun by my side, Mom and Dad at my left side, Haekyung, Seyeon unnie, Jongsuk oppa and Jaehyun oppa in front of me. Wait. They're not all here.

"Chanyeol, where is he?" I mumbled. 

"Hyosun can you see us right now?" Jaehyun oppa mumbled and I nod. 

"If so, can you tell how many finger I am holding right now?" The doctor said. He shows me five finger. 

"Five." They all started to smile. Mom hugs me so does Dad. Baekhyun smiles. They are all smiling but I'm not. Where is he? Where's the person who I want to see smiling right now? "Baek, where's Chanyeol? Did you find him?"

His smile faded and darkness filled in. Not only him but also Mom and Dad. Now that I looked at them, they're all looking at me with their smile fading slowly. "What's wrong? Where is he?" 

Baekhyun hands me a slip of paper. I don't get it why he's handing me a slip of paper when I'm asking where Chanyeol is. "Baek? What's this? I'm asking where Chan is."

"See for yourself."

I looked at the paper and read everything in it. My heart stopped beating as my eyes landed on who my donor is.

 

     Donor: Park Chanyeol

 

My hands let go of the paper as it slips off my hand. This doesn't make any sense. I held Baekhyun's hand as he looks away from me. "Baek, look at me. What.. What is this?"

"Chanyeol donated his eyes for you. Those eyes," he looks at me and he's crying now. "Are Yeol's. "

I froze. No. This can't be. Does that mean that.. He's- "NO! WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU SPITTING OUT RIGHT NOW?!" I stood up and held Mom. "Mom you tell me! Where's Chan? Where is Chanyeol?! Take me to where he is!!"

"I'm sorry dear.." She hugs me and cries. 

No. Chanyeol's not dead. He's not. Tears are flowing endlessly from me. No. He's not dead. "Take me to him." 

"Hyosun.."

"Stop Hyosun. Everything will be alright." Baekhyun held my hand and looks at me. 

••••••••••••••••••••••

Baekhyun takes me and we headed out to take a cab. He holds my hand as the ride goes on. I can't feel anything. I feel numb right now. We reached home and Baekhyun opened the door for me. We headed to my room and he places me on my bed. "Are you hungry?" He asks but I didn't answer. "Hyosun, can you please talk? How am I going to know what you're feeling right now?"

Feeling. I don't feel anything. I feel numb. Chanyeol's gone and it's because of me. Baekhyun sighs and stand up. "I'm going to bring you something to eat okay? So stay here." 

He left the room. I'm alone. Silence creeps into me. I have to snap out of it. I stood up without knowing and let my feet take me wherever it wanted me to go. I ended up in the bathroom. My hand reached for the shower and I am now drenched with water with my clothes on. Snap out of it Ahn Hyosun. No, Lee Mijoo? Who am I? Cold water continued to flow on my skin but I don't feel anything. 

"Chanyeol.." 

The door opened and Baekhyun comes in. "HYOSUN!"

He turns the shower off and glares at me. He's mad. Yeah, I deserved a good nagging. "What the hell are you doing? Are you trying to kill yourself?! The water's cold!" He reaches out for a towel and places it on my drying my hair with it. 

"Kill.. I should just die."

"You're spitting sh*t right now Hyosun." I know he just snapped. He's cursing me right now. I deserve it. 

"No. I deserve to die." I look at him and started crying all over again. Why is there no end to these tears? "I can't even look at myself at the mirror! Whenever I see my reflection, I see my eyes! I see Chanyeol's eyes!!"

"DO YOU THINK YOU'RE THE ONLY ONE THAT'S HAVING A HARD TIME RIGHT NOW?! DON'T JOKE AROUND WITH ME! YOU'RE BEING SELFISH YOU IDIOT!" Ah. That's right. Baekhyun's here too. The three of us. We're best friends. But he left us. Chanyeol left us. Why? I thought we're all going to die together. Why did he leave us alone? "Stop with your nonsense! Do you think I'm not having a hard time too? Do you think all of us aren't?! You sh*tting me right now! You're selfish!" 

Baekhyun's crying now. I made him cry. My hand makes its way to his cheeks and I wipe his tears away. He looks at me and hugs me. "Don't just carry it all alone. I'm here too. Please look at me just once. I'm always here.."

 

 

••••••••••••••••••••••

One Year Later...

Hyosun


"Baekhyunnnn~" I called seeing Baekhyun at the entrance of our school. We're now high school students ~ this is going to be fun!

"Why is she singing all of a sudden?" Baekhyun said annoyed and looked at me. I continued to walk towards him and waved him a good morning. "Tell me what you ate for breakfast and I swear that I'll tell hyung not to cook that again."

I chuckled. "Aren't you excited? We're high school students!! And look! New uniforms! You look good too!" Baekhyun stopped for a moment and cleared his throat. I flinch in surprise when he held my hand and pulled me with him.

"You're way talkative." He said.

"And you're moody. Why can't you cheer up? You never change! What will you do of your girlfriend hates you for that?" I replied. Geez this guy. He's going to die alone.

He looks at me and smiled. "Well you don't hate me for it so I'm okay."

I froze and cleared my throat. I hate it when he jokes about me. "Hyosun!" I looked back and saw Jin, Jisoo and Haekyung. 

"Oh? Guys!!!" I squealed in joy and hugged them. We haven't seen each other since the break. Well yeah, it's my fault for shutting myself inside my room because of Chanyeol. But I'm alright now. I'm going to be okay. I know I will.

"You girls are too noisy for the morning." Kyungsoo said.

"Oh! Kyungsoo!!" I smiled. "Wah~ we're all at the same school!"

"Hyosun!" Sehun greeted.

"Sehun!" I hugged him. "It's like I haven't seen you in ages." I looked at Sehun and he chuckled.

"HEY AHN HYOSUN." I looked back and saw Baekhyun burning in anger. What's with him?

"Are you okay Baek? You're like a mad man right now."

"BECAUSE I REALLY AM. WHY DID YOU HUG HIM THAT EASILY?"

"He's my friend. Why wouldn't I hug him?"

Kyungsoo and the others sighed. What's with them? "What's with you guys today? You're all acting weird!"

"I feel bad for you Byun Baekhyun." Jisoo mumbled and patted Baekhyun at his back. "Okay! Time to check for our classes!"

Oh that's right. We have to check what class we are in. "Oh? I'm in class 3." Haekyung said.

"Me too." Jisoo said.

"Me too!" And Jin too. Now let's see I must be in class 3 too- shoot. 

"Class 2." I looked at the guy next to me and it's Byun Baekhyun. I'm at the same class at him?! NO. I can't go with the same class as him without Chanyeol. It's going to be chaos! He seem, to be surprised at it too and we continued to stare at each other blankly.

"Seems like you both are in the same class huh? Childhood friends." Kyungsoo pats us in the head and they all left us. 

"EH?!" We both said in unison. Baekhyun sighs and rubs his temples. 

"There's nothing I can do about it. Let's go."

I sighed in defeat. He's right. There's nothing we can do about it. But how I wish that Chanyeol's spirit would just come out right now and comfort us. I sighed. I miss Chanyeol. I really miss him..

"Whoa look! He's a hottie right? He looks extremely handsome!"

"Yeah! I wonder what his name is?"

"Haven't you heard? He's Byun Baekhyun!"

I rolled my eyes. It's starting again huh? At least he's the only one. Chanyeol's mine. I looked at Baekhyun and he's yawning. This guy really. Haven't he heard what the girls are whispering right now? I won't even call it whisper because it's really loud and I can hear it from my place! I'm really pissed right now. 

"Oh my!" I gasp in surprise when Baekhyun stopped and stared at me. 

"Hyo."

"What?" 

"I'm hungry." 

"Who am I? You're mother?! I don't have food with me right now!"

"Then let's go and get some before class starts." He grabs my hand and pulled me with him. Does he even know where the cafeteria is? This guy. Surprisingly, after two minutes of walking he stopped. He doesn't know the way huh? Just as I thought. 

"You know this is not the cafeteria right? Just as I thought we're lost!"

"I'm really not hungry."

"Eh?"

He smiles and sat at the stairs. "I know you're annoyed with them talking so I got us out of there." He knows? He heard it all? He brought me here because I'm annoyed. He knows that I'm annoyed with fan girls since middle school huh? "Let's just stay here for a bit. I know where our classroom is so we can get there without those girls."

I smiled and sat next to him. "Okay." Maybe being at the same class as Baekhyun won't be that bad after all.

••••••••••••••••••••••

This school has no greenhouse like our old school so Baekhyun and I are still searching for a place where we can eat. Back then, we like to eat at the greenhouse because Chanyeol told us that it'll be more peaceful if only the three of us are alone while we eat. Yeah, it's because of fan girls.

"How about there?" Baekhyun pointed at the football field. 

"Football field?! Are you serious?!"

"Not there idiot. There." I looked at the side and saw a huge tree beside the football field. "Under the tree since there's no greenhouse."

"Looks great to me." I smiled and we make our way to the tree. I sat down and feel nice. I wish Chanyeol's here with us. I'm at it again. I can't forget about him. I miss him so much.

"Chanyeol. That's what you're thinking right now correct?" Baekhyun mumbled and placed our food out and sets up. 

"I know right? I can't stop thinking about him. That I wish that he's here with us right now." I said and looked at him. "How did you do it? How did you forget about him?"

He stopped for a minute and places our chopsticks down. "I trusted him."

"Baekhyun." His expression changes and I can see him clenching his fist. 

"I trusted him that all his decisions will be for the best."

I didn't say anything and we just started eating. Even though I didn't see him cry for Chanyeol for once, I know that he still cares for him. I know that he misses him too. That's what he is. He just doesn’t like showing how he really is to other people. I smiled and pat him on his head. "I know."

••••••••••••••••••••••

I walked at the campus and searched for where Jisoo, Jin and Haekyung are. Baekhyun asked me if I wanted to go with him to see the other guys but I just told him that I'm fine. I miss a little girl time with my girl friends. I saw Haekyung with the other girls at the staircase. I was about to call them when-

"Eh?! So you do like Baekhyun Haekyung!" I stepped back and hid at the other floor. "I knew it!"

I continued listening. "But I know that he doesn't like me because of Hyosun and it’s okay."

Haekyung likes Baekhyun. All this time he likes Baekhyun! "I'll help you." They all looked at me surprise.

"H..Hyosun." Haekyung looks at me in guilt and looked down. I smiled and held her hand. 

"Don't worry I'm not mad okay? I'll help you in fact." I chuckled. "How about a date this weekend?"

"Hyosun are you sure? I mean it’s Baekhyun." Jisoo asked.

"What do you mean?"ww

"Is it okay with you?"

"Of course! I'm sure Haekyung and Baekhyun will have fun!" I smiled. "Don't worry and leave it to me okay?"

The bell rings and I bid them goodbye. We planned that Haekyung and Baekhyun will have a date this Saturday at the park. I'm going to go and ask Baekhyun about it. I'm sure it's about time that Baek will get a girlfriend. How nice would that be of its Haekyung. I'm so excited!

••••••••••••••••••••••

The last class ends and I approached Baekhyun as the others make their way home. "Baekhyun!"

"What?" He said while fixing his things on his bag.

"Do you have plans this Saturday?"

"Yeah. I plan on sleeping the whole day."

"Ei, that won't do. Wanna go on a date?"

His eyes widen and he flushed. He looks at me and cleared his throat. "D..Date? W..With who?"

"Silly!" I chuckled. "With Haekyung!"

"Eh?" I know he's disappointed but it's about time that he gets over with his feelings with me. His expression changes. He zips his bag close and wears it. "You're really something Hyosun."

"What?"

"Do you know how it feels to hear that the person you like wants you to meet another girl?" Oh shoot. I hurt his feelings. "Do that again and I might ignore you for life."

"Baekhyun I'm so-"

"Tell Haekyung that I'll do it. The date that is."