Chapter 4

What If...

Hyosun


"Oppa?" I called and entered my brother's room. I guess it's about time for me to talk to him. I can't imagine that I managed not to talk to him for two days. "Is he not here?" I mumbled and I heard his phone rang so I walked to his desk and checked it.

"Oh? Detective Yoon?" Detective? Why would a detective call my brother?

"Hyosun." Oppa called and entered his room.

"Oh, you just finished taking a bath?"

"Yeah." He said while drying his hair.

"Oppa, someone's calling you. Detective Yoon." His eyes widen and immediately grabbed the phone from me. He declined the call and placed his phone away from me. What's wrong with him? "Why did you decline the call?"

"It's nothing important."

"Why would a detective call you?"

"Why are you so curious?" He said irritably. 

"Why are you getting mad huh? I'm just asking!" I said then frowned. He sighed. He walks to his closet and grabbed his shirt and looked at me.

"Why are you here?"

"I just want to talk. I still have time before I go to school." He smiles and sat at his bed. He looks at me and pats the side next to him telling me to sit. I smiled and did as I was told. He holds my arm and makes me lean on him. I miss this. It's been a long time since my brother has done this to me.

"So, what is it?"

"Baek and Chan, how will I tell them?" 

"Hyosun," he holds my arms and makes me face him. "I know that you don't want to part with them, but please just do as I say eo? Please just move with us. You three can't be together always. There will be times that you have to part with the one's that you love, and-"

"And this is that time?" He looks at surprised. I smiled. I get what he wants to say. I won't get everything that I have right? "I understand now oppa. You always tell me that I can't can't get everything that I want. We may be going on our separate ways but we're all still friends right?"

He smiles and pats my head. "I'm glad you finally got your senses back."

I nod and stood up. I picked up my bag and approached the door. "I know it won't be easy to tell them, but I'll try my best."

He smiles and nods. I wave him goodbye and headed out. I saw Baek and Chan waiting for me outside. Here goes nothing. I'm going to tell them today. It might hurt them both, but at least I let them know right?

"Why are you staring at us like that?" Baek asks. 

"Nothing." I grinned and held their hands. They both gasped in surprise and flushed. I just ignored them and started walking.

"W..What are you doing?" Chan asked.

"It's been a while since we walked together like this right? Just let me do it." 

I'm just going to cherish the remaining days that I have with them and treasure it. "Wah~ today's a great day huh?" I mumbled. Today's just perfect and the sun's shining bright and the weather's great. The bus arrived and we all stepped in. I took out my card and paid for them both. "Let's go~"

"Oh? What's with you today huh?" Baek said. "You saw that Chan right? She just paid for us."

Chan didn't answer and just looked at me. "Are you alright?"

"Yeah, why?"

"You're acting weird today Hyosun." I smiled. I'm just going to act like nothing's going to happen. 

••••••••••••••••••••••

The bell rang for our lunch and Chan and I headed to the greenhouse, Baek told us to eat ahead because he's going on a meeting at the student council. Yeah, even Though Baek's a total joker, he's hardworking. He's the secretary at the student council. Chan was elected to be the President but he told us that he doesn't have any interest on being one so yeah. Since we're here, I decided to tell Chan first. I can do it. I'm going to tell him.

"Chan." I stopped on my tracks and called him. He stops and looks at me. "I..I have something to tell you."

"What?" 

"I.." I gripped my skirt in nervousness. I'm so nervous right now I think I'm going to just freeze. I'm sure he'll get mad because I'm only telling him now. I shake the feeling off and braced myself. "I'm moving. Mom told me that it'll be a little bit far from here so Oppa have to drop me off before he goes to work every morning. Um.. I'm sorry that I only told you now but we're going to move in two weeks."

I closed my eyes preparing myself for his answer. I'm sure that he'll get mad and that he'll yell at me. "Then go."

"W..What?" What did he just say? Did he just say Then go? He's telling me to go? That's it? "C..Can you repeat what you have said?"

"I said go."

"T..That's it? You're not going to say anything?"

"What are you expecting for me to say?"

"You're not.. You're not mad at me?"

"Why would I be?"

Unbelievable. He's just telling me to go? "Y... You're aware that you won't be able to see me every day if that happens right?"

"Yeah."

"So you're just telling me to go?!" 

"Yes."  Tears started to flow from my eyes. I can't believe it. He's just telling me to go without saying anything. 

"Wow, guess what guys! I have a lot to do for the week! I hate being in the student council! I should've rejected it from the start!" 

"B..Baek." I looked at him. I know Baek, he's not going to let me go that easily.

"Hyo, w..why are you crying?" He approaches me and holds my arm. 

"I'm.. I'm moving."

"W..What?" He looks at Chan then back at me. "O..Oh is that so? Okay."

I scoffed. "Okay? That's it?" I stepped back and removed his arms from me. "That's all?! You both don't care even if we won't be able to see each other every day?! I'm moving for crying out loud!"

"Hyosun, calm down eo? We can still see each other at school so-"

"NO! I GET IT! YOU BOTH WANT TO GET RID OF ME HUH?! Well sorry for being a burden to you both all these years that we've spent together! Don't worry! I'm not just going to move, but I'm going to transfer schools! That's what you both want right?!" I exclaimed and ran away. I wiped my tears but it's not use. It just keep on flowing. I can't believe it. They are just letting me go. My head hurts and my heart hurts. I'm really hurt and I think even Oppa can't heal what I'm feeling right now. It hurts so badly.

 

Chanyeol


Baekhyun and I just stand here like we're frozen. We hurt her. We just made her cry. "We did great right? She's really.. going to leave now." Hyun asked. He starts crying in he keeps on wiping his tears roughly. I walked to him and grabbed his hands.

"Stop Hyun. You're hurting yourself."

"IT'S NOTHING COMPARED TO WHAT I HAVE DONE TO HER JUST NOW! I..I hurt Hyosun Yeol.." He fell on his knees crying and I sighed. 

*Flashback*

"Chanyeol-ah, we're moving." I stared ay Mrs. Ahn after what I just heard right now.

"W..What? Where to?"

"It'll be quite far from your school so Jaehyun will have to drop Hyosun off. But don't worry, you can still see each other at school."

"Why did you suddenly consider moving?" 

Mrs. Ahn holds my hand and sighs. "I'm telling you this right now because I trust you. You've been friends with Hyosun since you're little so I trust you okay? But please, whatever it is that you'll hear right now, keep it as a secret from Hyosun okay?" 

"Yes." I listened as I was told. I wonder what the reason why they wanted to leave suddenly…

"Chanyeol-ah, Hyosun... She's not our real daughter." My world stopped after hearing it. What did she just say? But Hyosun's been with them for fifteen years. What is she saying?

"I know that you're really confused right now. You see, Hyosun's parents died from the fire that happened at Cheongdamdong 15 years ago. Her real name is Lee Mijoo. Her parents owned the hospital that we're working on that time. She had an older brother who's five years older than her. We went with them for a free medical consultation at a province and that's when I first saw Hyosun. She's just a little girl back then. I became attached with her since I first played with her. Ever since then, her parents trusted us and we had a very good relationship with their family. But then, numerous eyes were at her father's position. The fire that happened 15 years ago was planned by those who wanted her father's position.

When the fire happened, Mr. Lee called us and asked for our help. We rushed over their house and they gave Hyosun and her brother together to us. They told us that we have to protect them both and separate them because they know that the ones who planned the fire would not be satisfied until they are both dead too. Their parents died at that incident and up until now, the investigation still haven't stop. We heard that the people who planned the fire are starting to search for them again and that's the reason why we considered moving. My husband's suspecting that they already know where Hyosun is."

I'm lost for words. Hyosun.. She'll be hurt if she finds out who she really is. I'm just sure of it. But I have to protect her. "What do I have to do?" 

"Please make Hyosun agree to move with us."

I nod. "I understand." After Mrs. Ahn has left, I called Baekhyun to come over and I told him everything. 

"I..Is that really true?" Baekhyun asked.

"Yes. We have to somehow make Hyosun go with them. Mrs. Ahn told me that she's still refusing to go."

"I understand. But Yeol," he looks at me and I can tell that he doesn't want to do it. "You're aware that we may hurt Hyosun really bad this time."

"I'm fully aware of that Hyun. But we don't have other choices. We have to protect her and to make her move is the only choice at we have." 

He sighed. "I understand. If it's the only choice that we have, I'll do it to protect Hyosun."

 

*End of flashback*

 

"Here." I mumbled and handed Hyun the drink. He takes it and leans at the wall then sighs.

"I'm really itching to follow Hyosun but I'm not going to."

I chuckled. "We didn't really plan anything on not going after her. You can talk to her if you want."

"No. I'm not going to. I have to restrain myself."

I smiled and opened my drink. I'm restraining myself not to follow her either even though I want to run off earlier and tell her I'm sorry. I know that I've hurt her badly this time. I want to tell her that all of what she's thinking is not true. I really need her badly and I can't be selfish. I have to protect her even of it means to just look at her from afar.

The bell rang and we both headed back to the classroom. We stopped on our tracks when we saw Hyosun together with Jin and Jisoo. Jisoo looks at us and shakes her head. I nod telling her to just keep on being by her side. I told Jin and Jisoo what we're planning and I want both of them to be there for her because I know that she'll hold a grudge towards Baekhyun and I.

We walked towards our seat and I met eyes with Hyosun. She's a mess. Her eyes were swollen from crying and my heart hurts just by looking at her. I hate it when I see her being in pain because of me. I sighed and looked at view outside. This is going to be a long day for us.

••••••••••••••••••••••

Hyosun


I walked on my own today. I'm incredibly pissed by Baek and Chan right now. They want me to just leave! I'm really going to leave! I'm going to cut all ties with you both! I hate you! Tears started to crept on my eyes and I looked up to prevent it. "I'm crying again.." I mumbled. I'm too busy crying, I didn't even notice that I've stopped in the middle of the road. I gasped when I saw the green light turned into red and the cars started to move. "Oh my goodness!" I froze not knowing what to do when a hand grabbed mine pulling me inside the car. 

"Are you alright?" The guy asked.

"Ah yes.." I answered still shaking in fear. Oh god, I really thought I would die earlier. "T..Thank you for saving me.."

The guy chuckled. He takes off his scarf and placed it to my hands. "You're welcome. I was surprised when I saw you standing at the middle of the road earlier. I'm Lee Jongsuk by the way."

"Oh.. I'm sorry." I replied.

"Name?"

"What?"

"You're name."

"Oh! Ahn Hyosun." 

"I see. Nice to meet you Hyosun-ssi."

"Ah yes. Nice to meet you too."

He looks at me from head to toe and smiled. "Seeing your uniform, you must be a middle school student at Apgujeong Hakyo?"

"Ah yes.." I eye him in suspicion. This guy’s is freaking me out. He laughs and shakes his head. I guess he's out of it.

"I guess you're thinking at I'm a weird guy huh? Well don't cause I'm completely fine. I pass by that school every day for your information."

"Really? Why? You're not even going to our school." I scanned him from head to toe and I think he's a college student. "Now that I've looked at you, you're too old to be a high school or middle school student. Oh! Don't take it personally though!"

He laughs and ruffles my hair. "Of course not. I'm a college student and I'm studying medicine. I'm aiming to be a doctor."

"Really? You're going to be a doctor just like my brother!"

"You have a brother?"

"Yes! He's a great doctor at Seoul Hospital! Maybe you'll meet him if you become a doctor someday!"

He smiles. "You're asking why I know your school right? It's because I'm looking for my little sister. I guess she's around your age. She's five years younger than me. Her name is Lee Mijoo. We've been separated several years ago and I'm still looking for her."

"Oh! I guess I can help you find her! You just said that I'm at the same age as her right?" He smiles.

"You'll do that for me?"

"Of course! It's the least I can do for saving my life." 

"Thank you."

"Oh right." I grabbed my phone from my pocket and gave it to him. "Place your number here Jongsuk-ssi. If I ever find where your sister is, I'll definitely call you."

He smiles and grabbed my phone. He placed his number then gives my phone back to me. "I'm counting on you then."

••••••••••••••••••••••

I sat at my chair after changing my clothes and started eating. My brother and Mom kept on staring at me so I looked at them. "What?" I asked.

"For a minute, you're throwing a tantrum. Now, you're fine. Girls." Oppa mumbled and rolled his eyes. I chuckled and continued eating. 

"I'm going to move with you guys." They both choked and looked at me. 

"Hyosun." They said in unison.

"Oh, can we move earlier? I wan to move as soon as possible."

"Hey, are you really okay?"

"I'm perfectly fine. Thanks for the food!" I stood up and headed to my room. I sat at my bed and hugged Fubunew. "I'm going to show them that I can live without them. I won't need them in anyway."