Chapter 17

What If...

Hyosun


Awkwaaaaard.

Baekhyun and I remained silent while waiting for Haekyung. I ended up coming after helping Haekyung choose her clothes. She told me to come along, which I don’t intend to do. Now I am here waiting for Haekyung as she buys as our drinks.

“Sorry that I took too long!” Haekyung said coming back with four cans of drinks in her hand. Wait four? Now I noticed it, our classmate Jung Jinyoung’s with her. “I met Jinyoung on my way back. Say hello Jin.”

“Hello, I’m Jung Jinyoung.”

“Umm.. we know. We’re in the same class.” I replied.

“Oh, are we?” This guy really. We’re just two seats away from each other.

“Oh forgive him. He doesn’t talk to other people that much but he’s a good person. He’s my childhood friend afterall.” Oh, so Haekyung have someone like that too. I can feel the bad aura coming from this guy next to me. He’s really pissed at me now. “So I was wondering if Jinyoung can go with us?”

“Oh sure Haekyung. That will be nice. The more the merrier. It’s going to be lonely with just the two of us right?”

I can feel the sarcasm in his voice as well as the darkness that's slowly engulfing our atmosphere. The three of us stand here frozen, afraid and it's because of me. Man I need Chanyeol at times like this. Baekhyun continued to smile and it's freaking me out. "So? Where are we off today? Do you have plans Haekyung? Jinyoung?"

"Um.. I'm here too Baek.."

"Oh? Since when did you get here?" I'm getting chills more and more. He's been referring me as you since we got in here. 

"Baekhyun, you shouldn't call her that." Haekyung said. 

"Call who what?" Haekyung sighs in defeat and Jinyoung just remained silent.

We all agreed to go skating. Jinyoung told us that they'll be the once to rent the skating shoes while I accompany Haekyung in the comfort room. Oh well, Baekhyun's the only one who knows my shoe size so I guess I'll be the one to borrow mine later. Baekhyun's annoyed whenever he looks at me today.

"Hyosun I'm sorry that I've caused this trouble.."

"No Haekyung! It's not your fault. I guess I'm just being too encouraging that's why he got mad at me and I also thought that he might get over his feelings to me because of you. I mean, you both go along well right?"

"Do you still love Chanyeol?"

"Yeah. Even though he's not by my side anymore, I can't forget him. I still love him."

Haekyung smiles and hugs me. "Don't worry. We'll always be here for you okay? And I know that you'll get over him soon."

I nod and smiled back.  We walk back to where Jinyoung and Baekhyun is. "Here's you skates Haekyung." Baekhyun said and handed the skates to Haekyung. I smiled and watched her took it. As expected, Baekhyun's still mad. 

"T..thanks."

"Let's go." He takes Haekyung's hand and they entered the skating rink. 

"You should go on Jinyoung. I'm going to get my skates." 

"No wait." Jinyoung held my wrist and stopped me. "Here."

He hands me a pair of skates and I took them. "H..How did you know my size?"

"I don't, he does." He said pointing at Baekhyun. He got the skates for me. "He told me to give this to the other person who’ll come back later. That’s what he said."

“Oh.. Thanks..” He’s really pissed. It’s the first time that I dealt with this side of him. We have fights back then but not like this. Baekhyun.. I really don’t understand him.

“Shall we go?”  I nod and we entered the skating rink. I'm here. At the skating rink. Memories started to overflow and I remembered Chanyeol back then when he taught me how to skate while Baekhyun laughs at me whenever I fall. I stopped on my feet unconsciously and Jinyoung stopped too. "Hyosun you're crying."

"I am?" He nods and points at my face. There are tears. "Oh I am." I chuckled and wiped my tears. Jinyoung looks at me in worry and I smiled. "Don't worry I'm fine."

 "You're not idiot." Baekhyun said. He came. 

"I..I'm fine! Now go back. Go Haekyung, you should skate with hi-" my eyes widen as Baekhyun grabs my hand taking me with him. "Baekhyun! Why did you do that? Haekyung-"

"Can you just shut up for a minute or two?" And I did. He's scary right now and it's killing me. We continue to skate even though I don't know for how long. He just takes me around and I feel he breeze pass through us. 

"Sorry.." I speak up and he stopped. "I'm sorry Baekhyun. I really am. I'm not thinking of your feelings when I told you to go on a date. I thought that you'll be fine with it."

"It's okay." He faces me and said. "I'm alright. Just forget about it already."

"Are you really?"

"Yeah. I know what this place means to you and I became mean for a second. Then when I saw you step in here with that Jinyoung guy and I saw you cry, my heart was like shredded into pieces. I just want to make you feel what I felt when you told me to date Haekyung." I'm really a senseless person. If I can just die right now I will. "But I went too far. I remembered that we had memories together with Chanyeol here. I'm sorry."

I smiled and pat him on his head. "We're even I guess?"

He smiles and nods. "Yeah."

We made up. Chan are you seeing this? We made up without you. But even still, we can't live without you. We miss you Chan. If I can turn back time, I'll chose to just be trapped in the darkness than lose you.

••••••••••••••••••••••

Baekhyun agreed to be alone with Haekyung for a while so we left them alone. “Now, shall we walk around while we’re here Jinyoung?”

He smiles. “It’s fine with me.”

We continued to walk around the park and I saw a bike. I asked Jinyoung if he wanted to go biking and he agreed. We rented two and take a stroll around the place. “So, I heard that you’re childhood friends with Haekyung?”

“Yeah, been with her since I’m… five I guess?” That’s a long pause.

“I see. That’s nice, being childhood friends I mean.”

“Say,” he stopped biking and looked at me. “That Baekhyun, she likes him doesn’t she?”

“Uh yeah.”

“I see.” He says and smiles. But somehow, his smile, it reminds me of someone. Someone like…Baekhyun? I put the bike on stand and walked to him then pat his head.

“You like her don’t you? Haekyung.” His eyes widened and flushed. “Thought so.”

He remained silent and we continued biking. I know how he feels because I already felt that. I smiled and followed him from behind. We went biking for an hour or so. I don’t really know for how long. I just followed him from behind. Looking at him from behind is just enough.  I think he really needs space right now. Before I know it, it’s already evening. He stops and looks back at me.

“We used the bike too much. We only borrowed it for an hour though.”

I chuckled. “I know.”

“Why didn’t you tell me?!”

“Why? It’s because you need time right? Don’t worry, I won’t tell.”

“Tell what?”

“B..Baekhyun!” He glares at me and walks close.

“We’ve been searching for you both for an hour or so you know?”

“Sorry!”

“DON’T SORRY ME! I’VE BEEN WORRIED SICK! DON’T YOU KNOW HOW FAR I’VE SEARCHED JUST TO LOOK FOR YOU?! DON’T YOU KNOW HOW SCARED I AM IF I LOSE YOU?! YOU IDIOT!” Whoa. Such words. It strikes right into me. I don’t even know what to say or what to do. I’m loss for words. “We’re going home!” he takes my hand and pulled me with him.

“Ah the bike-“ I met eyes with Jinyoung and he mouthed I’ll return it don’t worry to me. I smiled back and nodded.

Baekhyun remained silent as we go on our ride at the bus. He’s mad at me…

“I’m sorry Baehyun.”

“Don’t..”

“What? I’m sorry what did you say?”

“Don’t go anywhere without me knowing. I’m scared earlier you know?” he said softly. I looked at him and he’s shaking. He really felt afraid earlier. He’s afraid that I might leave him just like what Chanyeol did. “I thought you’re going to disappear from me. I don’t want that.”

“Baekhyun.” I smiled. I reached my stop and stand up. “Don’t worry it won’t happen. I’ll never leave your side from now on okay?”

••••••••••••••••••••••

Chanyeol stared at Hyosun as he watches her walk back home alone. He always watches over her whenever he can and back at the ice skating rink, he wanted to step in and hug her when he saw her crying but he can't because he's helpless. Hyosun stopped by the swing and sat there. She started humming a few notes and started swinging.

"What if." She said and smiled. "Eyes looking at each other.." She continued to mumble and hummed. Chanyeol continued to listen to her and smiled. "Sora barabeoneun siseon.."

Chanyeol leaned at the tree and continued listen. "Sora baraboneun siseon.. Hana namaneorin siseon.." Her eyes started to release tears. The eyes that she thought were Chanyeol's. "I hate this eyes.. Chanyeol I don't need it.. I need you.. I don't care if I can't see. I just need you.. You're an idiot." She continues to cry but this time, hard. 

w repeat Hyosun's words earlier as well as the music that she's humming. "Sora baraboneun siseon.. Sora baraboneun siseon... Hana namaneorin siseon.." 

I hate this eyes.. Chanyeol I don't need it.. I need you.. I don't care if I can't see. I just need you.. You're an idiot.

Hyosun's words repeated on his head. Tears escaped through his eyes like they were trapped in there for a long time. He was crying hard that he can't see anything anymore. "They're not mine Hyo.. I need you too. I needed you so badly that's why I'm here.."

He wipes his tears and sighs to relax himself. "What if.. I need to hear it from you again Hyosun.. I miss you."

••••••••••••••••••••••

Baekhyun


The two eyes looking at each other
The one remaining pair of eyes, the lost eyes.
The two eyes, tightly shut. 
The eyes that are too late, the eyes that lost you.

I placed my pen down and sighed. I'm writing again. This is just crap. I hate it when I write because of her. I throw myself on my bed and stared blankly. Why is it that even if Chanyeol's not present her eyes are still fixed for him? It's like I'm not in her world anymore. It's like I'm lost just by looking at them. 

"I get it now." I mumbled to myself. "Just one last time with her and I'll forget about her."

I grabbed my phone and called Hyosun. "Baek!" 

"Why do you have to answer with such decibels?"

She chuckles. "I'm glad you called~" my heart flutters again. She never fails. "So~ what's up?"

"Wanna hang out together tomorrow? It's Sunday."

"Okay! I'll come over tomorrow."

"No." I clench my fist. "I'll..go."

"Okay then~"

••••••••••••••••••••••

I pressed the doorbell and Hyosun answers the door. "You're here!" She said and hugs me.

"Yeah yeah now get off."

"Ish. So grumpy." She chuckles and I ruffled her hair. We make our way inside and I smell something good.  I saw cooking utensils in the kitchen and her phone opened for a recipe.

"What the hell are you doing?"

"Cookies. You love them right? I'm trying to make some!"

"Why?"

"As an apology." Her expression changed as she looks at me. "I'm really sorry."

"I told you that it's fine."

"Yeah but still."

I grabbed an apron and placed it on mine. I roll up my sleeves and sighed. "I'll help you. Tell me what to do." 

"Really?! Then.." She instructed me to measure certain things and I did. 

So this is what girls do for boys huh? I admit that I'm a bit happy that she's making sweets for me but I can't be happy. How can I be if I already instructed myself to forget about her? All I want is for her to look at me. Now when I thought is a great chance for me to make a move because Chanyeol's not around but then again, spoke too soon. The oven makes a bell sound and Hyosun takes the tray out. She places the tray on the counter and we stared at what we have done.

"Is it supposed to look like that?" I asked. 

"I don't know.. It doesn't look like the one that Haekyung does for us.. I'm sorry I failed."

The cookie looks strange but I'll eat it. After all, it's the first that she thought of me than Chanyeol. I grabbed three and ate it. "Baekhyun!"

She exclaimed in surprise as she watches me eat it. "You did it for me that's why I'm eating it."

"Baek.." 

"Stop the whining. I thought were going to watch drama?"

"Oh! That's right!! Let's go!!" She grabs my hand and we make our way to the living room. Now that I notice, she's alone. 

"Where's everyone?"

"At work. I'm still a student that's why I'm alone. But Jongsuk oppa will be back by noon."

"He loves with you guys now?"

"Yeah." She smiles and sits next to me. "Now let's watch!"

••••••••••••••••••••••

Hyosun


After sitting in this couch for five long hours, we finished 2 dramas. We also finished eating lunch and I'm sleepy. "I'm sleepyy.. " I mumbled.

"You ate too much that's why." Baekhyun said. "But that's you." He smiles. I leaned to him and closed my eyes. 

"I think I'm going to be sick." He chuckled. 

"Say Hyosun?"

"Yeah?"

"Can I ask you something?"

"Sure."

"Chanyeol. Do you still love him?"

What was that question? I looked at him and why is he smiling like this? "Baekhyun."

"Answer me."

I sighed in defeat. "Yes.."

"Oh I see." He faces me and looks at me in my eyes. "I have come up with a decision."

"What decision?"

"I'll get over you."

"Baekhyun.."

"But I'll need your help." Why is he still smiling at this state? How can he smile? I know how he feels. Why is he like this? "Please don't talk me because from then on, I'm going to ignore you until I get over you."