Chapter 8

What If...

Hyosun


“Okay, now let’s see. I’ve fixed my hair and my clothes look okay so let’s go~“

“Aren’t you too dressed up for today?” My brother said.

“Eh? I want to dress up good for Chan today since it’s his birthday!”

“Are you sure it’s not a date?” Dad asks.

“Dad! I already told you, it’s my gift for him and plus this cake that I baked with Mom last night~”

“I would be okay if it’s a date though.” Mom said.

“Mom!” “Honey!” We all said in unison.

I sigh in defeat. I should leave before things will get serious. I headed out of the house and greeted Mom, Dad and Oppa goodbye. I was about to head out to the bus stop when I saw Chanyeol waiting at our front gate while talking to Haekyung. I suddenly feel odd at the inside. Why do I feel like this? Why do feel like… I want to separate them this instant?

“Oh? Hyosun!”

“Oh..” Why do I sound so unmotivated all of a sudden?! Chanyeol approaches me and smiles.

“You look beautiful today.”

My heart started to beat fast. My cheeks are started to burn in heat. He just said that I look beautiful today. What’s with me? Why can’t I calm down?

“Oh my oh my~ You both look like a couple right now~” Haekyung said and Chanyeol just chuckled. How can he be so calm with that? I can’t look at him in the face I just can’t. I can feel that I’m blushing right now.. This is so embarrassing!

“Hyosun?” Chan called.

“Y..Yes?”

“Are you alri-“ Oh god. What did I just do? He was about to touch me when I pushed his hand away. “Hyosun.”

“I..I’m sorry! I was just-“I looked at Chan’s face and he looks worried right now. Guilt struck right through me. What am I doing?! This is so embarrassing! What’s wrong with my heart? What’s wrong with my brain?! WHAT THE HELL’S WRONG WITH ME?!!

“Hyosun-ah?”

“I..I’m okay! Ahahaha! Let’s go Chan!” I grabbed Chan by arm and pulled him with me. Today’s his birthday I have to make it the greatest day every for him! We headed to the bus stop and waited for the bus to arrive. I have to say something. Say something Hyosun!

“Sun.” “Chan!” Oh good heavens.

“You first.” Chanyeol mumbled.

“Oh? Okay! Happy Birthday Chan~” he looks surprised. I tilt my head to the side and looked at him. “Why? Why do you look surprised?”

He smiles and shakes his head. He smiled. He just smiled again. He ruffles my hair and continued smiling. Why is it that his smile looks different to me today? “Nothing. I just thought I may have said something wrong last night.”

“Oh don’t worry Chan~ I’m going to teach you how to be a great boyfriend!”

He nods. “I’m looking forward to that then.”

The bus arrives and we both got in. “Oh?” he said in surprise when he saw me pay for his fair. “Don’t worry~ I’m going to pay for all of it today!”

“But how am I going to be a great boyfriend if I will let my girlfriend pay all of it for me?”

“Eh?” I think I just froze right now. Ahjussi started driving and I was about to fall when Chanyeol catches me. “You alright?”

“Huh? Ah yes.” I replied and he leads me to our seat. The bus goes on and Chanyeol starts to admire the view. He always loves riding buses because it amuses him seeing buses passing by cars. Yeah, he loves buses and dogs. He even has a dog stuffed toy and a toy bus that Baekhyun and I gave for his 11th birthday. I think it’s true that your taste and preferences changes as you grow up. Ever since we went to our first concert together, we grew to love music more and more. What’s more amazing is that the day after that concert, he started writing songs. He makes Baekhyun sing his songs while he and I play instruments together. His specialty is playing the guitar while I play the keyboard.

I smile feeling proud for Chanyeol. I’m happy that he’s been growing up perfectly. I’m happy that Baekhyun and I are by his side and are witnessing every success that he makes. “We’re here.”

“Oh, okay~” We got off the bus and we ended at the amusement park.”Ohhh, so you wanted to go to an amusement park with me?”

“Yeah.”

“The let’s get started~” he chuckles in amusement and smiled. “Okay, now I have a test for you Park Chanyeol!”

“Okay. I’m ready for it.” Sometimes, I wish that I have a fairy godmother and I’ll ask her to give Chan some emotions.  Baek and Chan are the complete opposite. Baekhyun’s the one who’s been overflowing with emotions. Anyways, I’m going to fix this today. I’m not going to let Chanyeol’s girlfriend be disappointed with him.

“Okay, for your first test, I want you to show me what you think guys would do if they come to the amusement park with their girlfriends.”

“Hmm..” he stays quiet for a while to think. “From what I have watched in dramas so far, they take the girls first at the merry-go-round and then goes to the ferry’s wheel last.”

I nod my head in approval. I’m so proud of him! “Okay, well then~ we’re going to the merry-go-round first and the ferry’s wheel last!”

We walked to the line and waited for our turn to buy the tickets. Chan said that he’s going to buy for me so I just let him do so. After that, we walked to the merry-go-round. “Oh~ There’s the carriage!” I pointed out. I’ve been riding the carriage at the merry-go-round ever since we’re young. There’s one time when we got here with Jaehyun oppa. He accompanied me together with Baekhyun and Chanyeol. I once told Chanyeol to ride the horse one but he refuses because he’s already riding the dog one. Yeah, he likes dogs ever since we’re young.

“Chan, because it’s your birthday today, I’m giving you the chance to ride the dog one today!”

“Eh? But I want to ride the horse one today.”

“Eh? Why?”

“Because I’m your boyfriend. So that only means that I’m your prince and you’re my princess for today.”

I blink in surprise. He’s really into this huh? I wonder who’s the lucky girl. “Alright then. I’m going to ride the carriage.” He smiles and we entered the merry-go-round. I took the sit at the carriage and he sat the horse besides me.

“Brings back memories huh? Hyun usually sits there.” Chanyeol said pointing at the horse in front of me. I laugh remembering the reason why I told him to seat there.

“Hey Chan, wanna know the reason why I told Baek to sit there?”

“What?”

“Because I made him into a Gus that time! And when he got into the horse, he turned into a human! AHAHAHA!”

(*A/N : Gus is the mouse character at the movie Cinderella ^^)

Chanyeol didn’t answer and eyed me weirdly. “Uh Sun? I think you just had a misunderstanding there. I think you just got things mixed up with those two mouse.”

“E…Eh?”

 

SO

EMBARASSING.

TOTAL

HUMILIATION.

 

How can I mess up with those rats?! Chan pats my head and smiled. “It’s alright Sun. I’m the only one who heard it. It’s a secret between you and I.”

Secret…

Between Chan and Me.

The ride ended and we both walked towards the exit. I looked back at the ride. I feel like there’s something that I should remember but I don’t remember what exactly that is.

••••••••••••••••••••••

"Okay! Now that you showed me what you learned so far, I'm going to teach you to how to show your emotions to a girl!"

"But I have that."

I eyed him a weird look. "Really? Then why do I sometimes can't tell whether or not you're telling a joke?"

"You're mean Sun." 

I chuckled. I gave him his share of cake after slicing it. "Okay, when you talk to people you have to treat them sincerely."

"But I am treating people sincerely."

"I know, it just doesn't show." He sighs. It's been Chan's issue since we're kids. When we first went to kindergarden together, Baekhyun and I are his only friends. The other kids are too afraid to talk to him because they think that he's a snob. Baekhyun and I  helped him making friends but it took us two months to be able to do that. Chanyeol's a complete introvert that's why he's been silent whenever he's not with us. "But I won't change you."

He looks a me surprised and takes a bite on his cake. "But why? I thought you're going to help me."

"I am. If that girl really loves you, she'll accept you no matter what."

He smiles and continued eating. I don't need to change Chan. If the girl that he likes really loves him, she'll accept and love Chan no matter what kind of person he is.

••••••••••••••••••••••

After going in all f the rides at the amusement park, it’s almost noon. We have to go back before its 1 PM because it’s Baek’s turn with Chan. So, we rode the final ride which is the Ferry’s wheel!!

“I can’t wait to get on top!!”

“You seem excited about this huh?”

“Of course! When we’re at the top we’ll get a chance to see Korea!!”

“Not the entire country Sun, but Seoul.”

“You’re a dream wrecker.”

Chanyeol chuckles and he hold my hand. “Whatever you say Princess.”

Dugeun, dugeun dugeun. Dugeun. Dugeun.

Why won’t it stop? I clenched my chest. I can feel my heart beating so fast right now. What’s wrong with me? Ever since I saw Chan with Haekyung, I’ve been acting weird!

“Let’s go?”

“Uh yeah..” we rode the ride and Chanyeol sat in front of me and looked at the view outside. My head hurts just by thinking. I just want to get this over with.

“Hey, are you alright? You seem different.”

“You think so too? I think so too. I don’t know what’s wrong with me today Chan. I’ve been.. acting weird.”

“Did something happen?”

“Happen?” Did something really happen? “I don’t know. I’m not so sure myself. Ever since I saw you with Haekyung earlier I’ve been acting like this. Something feels strange.” I looked at Chan and he’s flushing. “CHANYEOL ARE YOU ALRIGHT?! YOU’RE GETTING RED!”

“I..I..I..I’m Alr..Alright!” he said then covers his mouth with his hand and looks away.

“Chan?”

“D..Don’t!”

“Don’t what?”

“Just don’t look.. at me right now.”

“Okay then..”

But since I still have a brain of a kid, I did what I was not supposed to do. I looked at Chan and he’s still blushing. It doesn’t look like he’s sick though. It seems like he’s… embarrassed?

••••••••••••••••••••••

“Mrs. Ahn! I just finished putting the sauce. What should I do next?” Haekyung asks.

We’re helping Mom prepare for Chanyeol’s birthday party at his house tonight and we are bringing food with us~ its Chan and Baek’s time to bond and I am here preparing for his party later.

“Just give it a taste and if it’s okay you can turn off the heat.” Mom replied.

“The kitchen’s busy because of Chanyeol huh?” Dad mumbled while watching TV.

“Dad, it would be much appreciated if you could help.”

“Oh you have my support dear.” I sigh in defeat. I can’t shout at him, he’s my father.

“All done~” I sang anfter putting in the last garnish for Haekyung and I’s ultimate dish! That’s what I decided to call it~ We both high-fived each other and cheered.

“Okay, now it’s all done, you both clean yourselves up. We have to get at Chanyeol’s house before they come back.”

“Yes!” we both replied and I headed downstairs while Haekyung went back to her house to change.

“Hyosun? You in here?”

“Yes!” I shouted from inside. He opens the door and comes in.  “Did you just come in?”

“Yeah, the director is such a princess. She won’t let me go that easily.”

Princess.

Whatever you say Princess.

“Oh my god. I must be insane.”

“What? Did you say something?”

“Oppa, I think my heart is beating fast because of a guy.”

“Huh? You like someone new?”

“New? What do you mean new?!”

H e tilts his head at the other side in confusion and stared at me. “You don’t remember anymore?”

“JUST SPILL IT OPPA! WHAT DO I DON’T REMEMBER?!”

“You see when we were young, do you remember the time when we went to the amusement park and got into the Merry-go-round with Baekhyun and Chanyeol?”

“Yeah, what about that?”

“I asked you as a joke, if you were to have a prince who would you choose between Chanyeol and Baekhyun.”

I started to get nervous even though I don’t know why. “T..Then who did I say?”

“You told me both of them.”

“Oh.”

“Then I told you that you can’t choose both because you can only have one.”

“D…Did my answer change?”

“Yes. You told me you like him more.”

“Who did I say?”

Oppa smiles and leans over to my ear. He whispered the name that I don’t even expect to hear in my entire life.