Chapter 23

What If...

Chanyeol


I hid behind the tree as I watch Hyosun enter the strange house. Why is she here? It's even my first time seeing this house. She looks around before entering the house and the door opened. A man in her forties opened the door and welcomed her in. It's also my first time seeing that man. I waited for about, I think thirty minutes? And the man came out and the woman with him catches my attention. That's the signal that I need that Hyosun's in trouble. I hid on the tree and waited for them to leave. I then entered the house and smelled something weird. Fire. 

"." I ran upstairs and checked each and every room that I can see. I reached the last room on the left and it's locked. "HYOSUN! HYOSUN HEY!! CAN YOU HEAR ME?!!" I hear no answer. Did they do something to her?! I grabbed something that can break the door and slammed it to open the door. I continuously slam the chair on the door until it broke. Fire is already spreading and I see Hyosun lying unconscious on the bed. 

"HYOSUN! HEY!" She still doesn't budge no matter how many times I try to call her. I quickly grabbed a blanket and splashed water on it then wrapped it around me. I carried her on my arms. My arm and hand hurt as soon I carry her but I ignored the pain and hurried downstairs. Things started to fall down and I tried my best to get us away until we reach the door. I kick it open and placed Hyosun on the ground. I grabbed my phone and called Jongsuk Hyung.

"Hello?"

"HYUNG PLEASE HURRY UP HERE! HYOSUN WAS ALMOST KILLED."

"Do you have any idea where you are?"

"I don't." I scanned the place and I really have no idea where we are. I just followed her on her way here. "Is there something that I can do to make you find us?"

"Open your GPS on your phone and hide at the safest place. We can't let them find out that you have rescued Hyosun." 

"Yes." I hang up and followed Hyung's instructions. I carried her in my arms and my arms started to hurt again. I gritted my teeth to endure the pain and placed her on my lap carefully. I make her lie on my chest as I hug her. I leaned on the tree to rest. The pain on my arm is really killing me. "Ugh.. it hurts too much." We stayed like this for a little more until I heard footsteps on their way. I opened my eyes and saw Hyung fast approaching.

"How are you? You carried her right? How's your arm?!" Jaehyun hyung asks. He grabs my arm and sighs. "This is bad. Let's get you both to somewhere you can rest." I nod and we make our way to, uh, I guess somewhere. I don't know where they're taking us but I just follow them around. We ended up in a house that's unfamiliar to me. I watch as Jongsuk hyung takes Hyosun on a room. Jaehyun hyung tells me to stay while he tends my injury. Wow, taking about being convenient at times like this. Having two doctors for a brother that is. 

"Ah!" I twitch in pain as soon as Jaehyun hyung touches my arm. 

"You forced it. You should've just carried her in your back. Why do you have to carry her in your arms?!" 

"I didn't even think okay? I just want her to be safe." He sighs in defeat and places cast on my arm. He grabs ice from the fridge and places a cold compress on my arm. 

"Thank you. For saving Hyosun that is."

"You don't have to tell him that. It's automatic that he will save her." Jongsuk hyung said after coming out from the room. He flicks me in my forehead and glared at me. "But I'm expecting you to take care of yourself too, you dumbo. If you get injured, who will protect our sister if we're not there?!"

I eyed him weirdly and chuckled. "I don't know if I should take that in a nice way."

"Of course it's a nice way." He said. "Hey dumbo."

"Yeah?" I replied then grabbed a bottle of water. Because of my arm, I struggled in opening it. Jaehyun hyung chuckled and grabs the bottle from me. He opens the bottle and gives it back to me. "Thanks."

"We're going to ask another favor from you."

"What is it?" 

"We need you to stay with Hyosun here. Will that be alright with you?" More than fine! That's what I wanted to tell them but I shouldn't right? I mean they're the brothers. Might as well be careful. I shake the thought off and tried to look as calm as possible.

"Okay, that will be fine with me." Their expression changes as they look at me with their dark faces. I step back but I realize at I'm trapped. "Um.."

"Don't you think of doing something crazy." Jongsuk hyung said.

"You know what we mean right?" Jaehyun hyung added with a sarcastic smile on his face. They're making me sweat. I nod, a bit too scared though. "That's great then! We'll come back here as soon as our shift's over. So please take care of her okay? All that you might need are already here so just search for whatever it is that you need." They said and take their leave. I sigh in relief and walk upstairs to where Hyosun is. My eyes widen as I see her in front of the mirror. She cut her hair. Goodness she cut it.

"What are you doing?" She looks at me surprised and her eyes fall on my arm. She stands up and starts ing my shirt. My eyes widen at her act. "H..Hey what are you-" before I get to a conclusion, I realized that she's looking at my injury. She touches it and I winced in pain. 

"I..I'm sorry.." She starts crying while looking at my wound. She usually gets embarrassed seeing me half but now, all she can see is the wound that she thinks she gave to me. I hold hershoulders and her hair touches my hand. They're shorter. She cut it way almost to her shoulder. "It's my fault.. I'm so sorry.." 

I hold her cheeks and kissed the pain away from her. I can feel that she's surprised on my act but I don't give a damn about it. I hold her close and wrapped my arms around her as I continue to kiss her. I broke my promise. Now I'm doing 'something crazy'. I pulled away from her as we catch our breaths. I watch her as she opens her eyes and looks at me. I smiled and wipe her tears away. I shake my head telling her that it's not her fault. 

"I don't hate you. I just said it because I have to. I don't hate a single thing about you princess." I hold her hair and stared at it. "Even though I love your hair longer." She smiles but then looks down on her hair that she have cut. Now they're at the floor. "On second thought, I think you're more adorable this way." I was about to hug her when she loses her balance and fell on the ground. "Hyosun!"

"I'm fine.. I'm just dizzy.." I lay her back on the bed and place the pillows under her head. Her eyes widen looking at me. "What?"

"Button your shirt." I looked at myself and I really am half . I laughed and sat beside her buttoning my shirt.

"You're the one that ed them though." She flushes and clears . "Are you feeling- ah ." I wince in pain after moving at the upper button. I can't lift my arm.

"Are you okay?!" She asks sitting in front if me.

"Yeah, I think I just can't lift my arm."

"I'll button it for you." 

"Oh, okay." I watch her as she button my shirt. It's making me think of weird thoughts as I look at her. My heart's pounding like hell right now and I hope that she can't feel or hear it. I have to control myself. "There-" Control, not in my dictionary. I think I just heard my brain say that. I grabbed Hyosun closer to me and she looks at me surprised.

"I really am having my issues holding back right now." 

"C..Chanyeol? W..What are you doing?" She asks flushing. I lean closer and start to kiss her again. I think I'm kissing her too much. I am now kissing her neck- WAIT WHAT?! I gasp with my eyes widen.

"." I look at Hyosun as she's lying on the bed looking at me while flushing. "I..I'm sorry. I.." I stand up away from her and walk away from the room. This is bad. I almost oh god. I entered another room and locked myself shut in it. I am NEVER going out in here.

 

Hyosun


I lay down frozen after what Chanyeol did to me just now. I slowly sat up and let everything sink inside me. This he just kissed me differently? I held my neck as I look at myself at the mirror. I walk closer and take a look on my neck. Shoot. A hickey. I flush as I realized what just happened just now. My heart's beating like crazy. We almost.. Oh my god. 

I lay back on the bed and sigh. Things have been happening very quickly and I can't catch up. I grabbed my phone from my pocket and scroll down Haekyung's number. I wanted to call her and ask about what I heard earlier but I can't make myself call her. I'm afraid of what's going to happen. What if she doesn't know that the man who killed the man that she considers to be her father was Dad? What will I do then? But what if she knows already? What am I going to do then? My phone rang it says Haekyung. I started to shake in fear. Should I answer or not? The call ended and I miss my chance to talk to her. I bit my lip in frustration and set my phone away from me. 

I got off the bed and walked inside the bathroom. I think I'm going to need to refresh myself. No, I think I might've needed a reset button. I need a reset right now. When did things have been like this for me? I'm just an ordinary high school student. Will living a normal life be hard for a person like me? Whenever I try to live normally, bad things happen. I can feel the water as it flow down on my skin. I face the shower and let the water pass through my face. Wake up Lee Mijoo. Yeah, you have to wake up now. It's time for you to end this. Only Lee Mijoo can put an end to this. 

I turn the shower off and wrap the towel around me. I look at my reflection at the mirror and I can't recognize the girl that's in front of me right now. I chuckled as I see my hair short. I almost forgot that I cut it. I notice the hickey on my neck and I flushed. My hair won't be able to cover it much though. I walk outside and opened the closet. I smile as I look at my things. They're still here. Mom still hasn’t taken them out of here. This house is our rest house. Whenever we go in a vacation, we always go here. Wait. So I'm far away from Seoul huh? I grab some clothes and put them on me. After fixing my hair, I walk outside to get to the kitchen and noticed that it's already pass eight. I opened the fridge and there is food. Chanyeol walks in and met eyes with me. He looks at my hair then back at me.

"Is it that weird?" I mumbled and set the table for two. I went back to the kitchen and prepare the food. 

"I'm just not used to it. Though it's not that short. Now that I'm looking at it. It’s pass on your shoulder." I smile and place the food on the table. I sat in front of him and started eating. "Are y-" he was cut off when my hair brush pass on my shoulder revealing my neck. I flushed and brushed my hair back. He just saw it. ". What did I just do?"

"I..It's nothing. I know you didn't mean it.." 

"I'm really sorry.. I just.. You.. Ugh this is so frustrating. Go ahead and hit me."

I chuckled and push his head back. I look at his cast on his shoulder and bit my lip. "Does it still hurt? Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I can move it but not too much. Hyung said not to use it though."

"I'll feed you."

"It's okay, I can manage."

"It's fine. It's my fault that you injured it anyways." I walk to his side and grabbed his chopsticks. I started feeding him but I can feel that he's looking at me. "What?"

"I told you I don't really mean that." I smile and just nod. Even if he denies it, I know that he's upset. He can't play the guitar nor grip hold of a pen to write songs. I felt his hand on my cheek as he looks at me. "Hey princess?" He's calling me that again. I hate how he calls me that. My heart looses it's control whenever I hear that nickname.

"Chanyeol please stop."

"What?"

"This is not right."

"What is?"

"Us. It's not right."

"Since when? Why is this not right?" He stands frustrated and threw his head then groaned. "Why is it that whenever I try so hard to be with you, you keep on pushing me away?"

"Because we can't! Whenever you get close to me you get into trouble. I told you already right? Don't dig dipper! If you do, your life will be in trouble! I'm not Ahn Hyosun anymore Chanyeol! I'm Mijoo! Lee Mijoo!"

"That's why I'm digging dipper. Because no matter who you are, you know that I want to protect you! Why can't you just let me?"

I bit my lip in anger as I cry. "BECAUSE I LOVE YOU! WHY ARE YOU SO STUPID?! WHAT IF YOU GET HURT? WHAT IF YOU DISAPPEAR RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME AGAIN?! DO YOU THINK I WANT THAT?!" 

He pulls me to a hug and buried his face on my hair. "Which is why I'm staying by your side. If we're together, no one can separate us. He pulls out from the hug and wipes my tears smiling at me. "I, Park Chanyeol, will make you Lee Mijoo, fall in love with me even harder."

"Stop.."

"I won't. A person can't stop the heart once it found the heart that matches its beat."

"Damn you Chanyeol." He smiles.

"You know why I can't give up on you?" I look at him, glaring to be specific. I want him to stop and shut his mouth. Because if he keep on going, I'm really going to fall hard for him. "Because I think you're the one for me. No, you are the one. You're qualified. To be my girl, my wife and the person that I'm going to be with for the rest of my life." 

••••••••••••••••••••••

Chanyeol


The doorbell rang and I smiled knowing who it is. Hyosun was going to open it but I told her to just stay put. I open the door and welcomed Haekyung and Baekhyun in. Baekhyun eyed me a bad look and told Haekyung to go on. "We need to talk." He says. I smiled and nod. We make our way in and Hyosun sees the two of them. 

"Hey Ahn Hyosun... You.. Your hair." Baekhyun said surprised as he points at Hyosun's hair. I chuckled at the scene. 

"Why did you..cut your hair?" Haekyung asks. 

"Haekyung-ah." Hyosun finally speaks. She looks at me and I nod. I grabbed Baekhyun's arm and pulled him with me.

"Hey! Where are you taking me?!"

"You told me that we need to talk right? Let's go."

"Ah! But wait! Her hair! What happened?!"

"Yes the hair. Explanation will be for later." I mumbled and take him away. I shut the door closed and I sat on the chair. "So, what is it?" He puts his worried look and sat on the bed facing me. I can see him staring at the guitar then back at me. 

"Are you alright?" 

"I guess so. I still can't lift it properly."

"I see." I smile and grabbed the guitar handing it to him. "Chanyeol."

"Play me a song." He chuckles and started to make a few notes. "A new song?" I asked.

He nods. "Yeah, I managed to pull out some words. Want to hear?" I nod. He statted humming and then sang a few words that breaks my heart in an instant.

Seoro majuboneun siseon dul
Hana nameun siseon gireul ilheun siseon
Gutge dathyeobeorin siseon dul
Neujeobeorin siseon neoreul nohchin siseon


He smiles and puts the guitar down. "I didn't sing it for you to feel awful. I wanted you to help me finish this song."

"Why? Baekhyun, I can't possibly do that when-"

"I already accepted the fact that you're the one that Hyosun likes." He flicks my forehead and pushed me towards the keyboard. "You can manage to play that right?"

"Baekhyun, I can't do it."

"Why? Are you thinking that I might hate you?"

"Sorry."

He smiles and seats in front of me. "Don't apologize. I knew it since we're little, that you're the one that Hyosun likes. I've just been stubborn and kept on telling myself that there's still a chance. But then, seeing how you sacrificed yourself just to make Hyosun safe, I told myself, Ah, they really are meant for each other. She's not the one for me." He chuckles and ruffles my hair. "Chanyeol, I'm glad that you're the one that's going to protect and going to be with her forever. I can possibly handle it if it's you. Because I know how much she means to us."

"Baekhyun."

"And don't think that I'm going to hate you because, no matter what, if you hate me or things go otherwise, I can't possibly hate you."

"Okay." I mumbled shortly. 

I covered my face and look at the other side. I can't possibly let him see me crying. Baekhyun's been my best friend along with Hyosun. Before I met her, he's been the person that treats me the best and I'm thankful for that. The moment that I realize that he likes Hyosun too, my world stops to turn. I don't want to hurt him. I want Baekhyun to be happy too. Back then, I can't make myself be happy whenever I see them together. It makes me selfish whenever I do. But now that he has given up, I still can't be happy. 

"Hey, stop crying you crybaby and just help me finish my song. I already finished writing the lyrics so help me bring out the melody in them." I smile and wipe away my tears.

"Mm."

••••••••••••••••••••••

Hyosun

Haekyung stares at me with a worried look on her face and I walk to approach her. He gasps in surprise after I hold her hand. I smiled and she just continued to look at me with that face of hers. "Does it look weird?" I ask.

"W..What?"

"My hair."

"No. It suits you."

"I see. That's great then."

"Why did you cut it?"

"Because starting from now, I'm going to live as Lee Mijoo, not as Ahn Hyosun. I already know about myself. All of it."

She bit her lip uneasy and looks down. "I'm sorry." She apologizes. I know already what she's apologizing about and I don't need her to elaborate it further. 

"Haekyung? I have one coupon left right? Can I use it?"

"Okay." She smiles. But her smile it filled with bitterness. "What is it going to be?"

"Please forget all about the past. From now on, we're going to live as Lee Mijoo and Soo Haekyung. I'm going to be your new best friend ever." She looks at me and starts to cry. She shakes her head as she sinks on the ground, hugging her knees.

"How could I possibly do that?"

"All that happened between our parents are none of our concern Haekyung. We're different. I need you Haekyung. You're the best gift that I got. The moment that I met you, I'm really glad that I became the first person that's been your friend ever since you attended school. You've been there for me, always." I smiled and wipe her tears with my handkerchief. "Haekyung-ah, I promised you right? I'm going to be by your side forever, as a friend. You're not alone. I'm here. I'm going to be with you as you continue your firsts. I'll be with you and lend my shoulder if you need one to cry on. Your dreams? We're going to achieve your dreams together with mine."

"Mijoo-ah.." I smile hearing her call me by my name. It feels good. My name coming from Haekyung. I thank my parents for giving me such a good name. "Thank you. Thank you really. I will also stay by your side forever as we achieve our dreams together."

"Then let me properly introduce myself." I handed out my hand and chuckled. "I'm Lee Mijoo, nice to meet you."

She chuckles and takes my hand. "Nice to meet you Mijoo. I'm Soo Haekyung."

"Wow, that's nice." We look back and saw Baekhyun behind us. "Who told you to touch my girl just like that?"

"Girl?" I let the word sink in for a moment. He's not talking about me right? I mean, the only girls here are Me and Ha- oh . "EH?!!!!!" Chanyeol chuckles and offered his hand to me helping me stand. I looked at Baekhyun and grabbed his collar. "WHAT THE HELL DID YOU JUST DO TO HAEKYUNG WHILE I'M NOT AROUND YOU DUMB GUY?!"

"Ah Mijoo, hold o-"

"HEY ANSWER ME!!"

"I officially got over you. Can't you just be happy for me?!" Baekhyun said. I can't believe it. They're going out. The two of them. It's not at I don't like it. "Now if you please, can you sort things out between the two of you? It's grossing me out seeing you both act like you are friends." I flushed and looked away. I can see Chanyeol looking at me but I can't possibly look at him right now. "Ah! Haekyung! What was that kick for?!"

"Mijoo, have you eaten? Should we prepare some food?" I chuckled as Haekyung ignores Baekhyun and pulls me towards the kitchen. I smile and nodded. I like this kind of scene but at the same time, it makes me worry. Because whenever I try to live normally, the tables started to turn.

••••••••••••••••••••••

We finished eating our lunch and Baekhyun together with Haekyung are taking care of the dishes. They're really acting lovey-dovey and I'm grateful for that. I went back to my room looked at the view outside. My door opens and Chanyeol comes in. "Chan." He smiles and sat next to me. 

"Are you alright?" I smile and nod. "That's great then."

Silent starts to creep in and things are getting awkward. "Chan, about what Baekhyun said earlier-"

"I can wait." I look at him and he smiled. "I'm good at waiting. Especially when it is you that I'm waiting."

I smile in return and held his hand. He flinches in surprise and I place the necklace that he gave me on my birthday on his hand. "I want you to place that to me again if that time comes."

"Okay." He replies and makes me lean on his shoulder. I closed my eyes letting the moment sink in me. I know that this won't last long. We stayed like this for minutes and it feels great. My phone vibrates on the table and I stand up to pick it up. I opened it and saw a message from an unknown number. I started to shake seeing the photo attached. It's my brother drenched in blood. They.. beat him up. My phone slips on my hand as I hold on to the table for support.

"What's wrong?" Chanyeol picks up the phone and saw the image. "." He grabs his phone and I know that he's calling Jaehyun oppa. I inhale as much air as I can. "Yes, we will be waiting." Chanyeol holds me and helps me sit on the chair. "Stay here, I'm going to get you some water."

I nod and he runs outside. I heard him tell the others about what I just saw right now so Baekhyun and Haekyung rushed towards me. "Mijoo breathe okay?" I look at Haekyung and do as she says. I like how she's calling me Mijoo now. She smiles and hugs me. "It will be alright. You're not alone. We're here." I nod and hugged her back. Her presence is very soothing for me. Chanyeol comes back with a glass of water on his hand. He sits in front of me and holds my hand.

"Are you okay now?" I shake my head no and bit my lip. I think I'm going crazy right now. "Don't worry. Everything's going to be fine eo?" He said holding my cheeks making me face him. "He won't die. I won't let it." He wipes my tears and smiled. "I won't let it happen. They can't hurt anyone anymore. So please wait a bit longer okay?" 

And I nod. We waited for an hour until Jaehyun oppa together with Detective and some few policemen dressed in civilian arrived. Oppa runs to me and hugs me. "Are you alright?"

"Yes.. Seyeon unnie?" Oppa steps aside and I saw unnie. She's crying hard. I run to her and hugged her. If anyone can know how I feel right now, it's her. "Unnie, we have to stay strong. We'll get him soon." She nods and I wipe her tears. There's so many tears that's been wiped today and I won't let any tears flow anymore. 

"You.. You're hair.." Oppa mumbled. This damn hair is starting to be disturbing. I rolled my eyes and chuckled. I faced Detective Yoon. "Tell me what I have to do, If there's anyone that can stop this, it's only me."

He smiles and ruffled my hair. "You've grown kid." He said. "We'll tell you the plan. So listen okay?" I nod. It's not yet over. I'm going to end this all.