Chapter 12

What If...

Chanyeol


I smiled. Finally she realized it. She just told me that she likes me back. I continue to smile because I just can't stop smiling. I smile continuously. I can't hide it. 

"Stop smiling. I hate you."

"I love you too." She flushes and I chuckled at her cuteness. I'm still smiling. I sat beside her and held her hand. "I want to stop smiling but I can't. I think I'm just too happy right now."

She remains silent and held my hand back. She rests on my shoulder and I leaned back on her. She's mine. She's officially mine now. "You're mine now. You got that?"

"Stop claiming like I'm a thing."

"No, I'm claiming because you're my life."

"Since when did you talk like that?"

"Since I got a girlfriend just seconds ago." I hear her chuckle. It's beautiful. Everything about her is beautiful. I hold her hand tighter. I never will never let go of this hand. "Hyosun?"

I called but she didn't reply. She falls on my lap and I find her sleeping. I smiled and just let her. She's tired. "You've been through a lot. I'm sorry that I'm not there. But I promise that starting now, I'll always be there for you." I caressed her hair and watched her sleep. "Time to sleep my princess."

••••••••••••••••••••••

I placed Hyosun carefully on my bed and let her sleep. I can't imagine all the pain that she have endured all alone last night. It must've been hard on her. I caressed her hair as I let my eyes stick around her face. I can't take my eyes off her right now. 

She whines for a minute and I twitch in surprise. She stops for a minute but then she goes on it again. Then it gets through me. She's having a nightmare. I hold her and shake her to wake her up.

"Hyosun, wake up. Hey." She gasps and looks at me surprised. She's sweating right now and I can tell that she's really afraid. 

"C..Chanyeol."

"You okay?"

"I dreamt of a fire.. It's big and I think my real parents are inside.." She starts to shake and she holds herself to stop it but fails. "I..I think they're calling for me.. I tried to go back but.."

I hold her close and hugged her tightly. "It's okay now. It's just a dream."

She stays quiet until she stops crying. I let her go and wipe her tears away. She smiles and pats me on my head. "What was that for?"

"Thank you."

I smiled back. "Stay here. I'll go and get you something." I stand up and she held my hand back. 

"I..I'll go with you. I don't think I can be alone right now."

She stands up and we make our way to the kitchen. I opened the fridge and scanned for anything that I can give her. "Anything specific that you want?" I ask and continued searching until I find ice cream. I'm a hundred percent sure that this will satisfy her. Even if it's winter, she still eat ice cream. "I found this."

"PLACE IT HERE! I'll devour it in no time!" I chuckled and grab some spoon. I placed the ice cream at the table and opened it. "Whoa!! Double dutch!"

I smile and watch her eat. She notices me and stopped eating. "I know you're amazed by me eating this but can you please stop staring? I'm going to melt faster than the ice cream."

I laugh and grabbed her spoon. I took some ice cream and ate some. She looks at me flushing and I look back at her confused. "What are you staring at?"

"You used my spoon." She pointed at the spoon and said.

"And?"

"I used that."

"Since when did you become so conscious?"

"No.. I.. Uh.. It's not that."

"Then what is it?" 

"W..We just shared spoons."

What she said registered inside my brain and I get what she is pointing at. I flush and cleared my throat. "I..I'm gonna go and get us some drinks." I mumbled and opened the fridge. Since when did it get so hot in here? It's December and it's really hot in here. I opened the fridge and scanned for the juice. I located it and placed it on the drawer. 

The door opens and Baekhyun comes in. "Yeol! I brought your bag with me! I brought Hyo's too! We can take it to-" he sees Hyosun then he looks at me. "Are you both dating right now?"

Hyosun stands up flushing. "Uh.. That is.."

"So you are."

"Wait Baek-"

"Congratulations."

"EH?" We both said in unison. He places our bags down and left. Hyosun attempted to go after him but I held her back. 

"I have to go after him!"

"I don't think it's a great idea. You know it more that I do."

She looks down in defeat and sat back on her chair. When we're still kids, we first saw the black Baekhyun. We really don't want to see that side of him. Baekhyun suffers from Dissociative Identity Disorder, also known to be Multiple Personality Disorder. Baekhyun first experienced it when it's the first time that when his grandmother went back to their province. His grandmother is very strict and she disciplined not only Baekhyun but us too. Mrs. Byun told us that it may be the reason why his other personality is so bad. It's so bad that's why we named it Black Baekhyun. Black Baekhyun comes out whenever Baekhyun snaps but then, Baekhyun learned how to overcome it himself that's why it doesn't happen too often.

"No. We both know it. That's why we have to go after him! Who knows what he can do to himself?" I sigh in defeat. She got a point. We head to his house and Hyosun enters the passcode. It opened and we make our way in. We find Baekhyun lying upside down. I guess his preventing Black Baekhyun from coming out huh?

"Uh.. Baek?"

"Stand back. I can feel him. Give me a minute."

We stay silent for a minute or two and he sighs, relaxing himself. "Baekhyun.."

"I'm fine." He stands up and walks towards Hyosun. "But I still won't change what I said to you. I'm not going to regret it."

He said and smiled at the both of us. He may be saying that we know ourselves that we only want ourselves to be happy.

••••••••••••••••••••••

Hyosun


I wake up and prepared myself to head for our field trip. I searched for my slip that was given to us and it says that it's going to be a 2 days and a 3 night stay at the countryside. I got a little bit distracted with what's going on with my life earlier and I almost forgot about it. I fetched my bag and headed downstairs. I saw oppa with a random girl at the kitchen preparing for our breakfast. They both noticed me and the girl smiled at me. Is she his girlfriend?

"Hello. You must be Mijoo?" Mijoo. She's the second person that called me that. She approaches me and offers me her hand. "I'm Seyeon. Jin Seyeon."

"Oh.. Hello. Um.. Are you oppa's girlfriend?"

She chuckles. She's beautiful I can say that. "Well you can say that."

"We have to eat or else Mijoo's- I mean Hyosun will be late for her field trip." I smiled.

"It's fine oppa. Just call me whatever you want to call me."

He smiled back. "Alright then."

We all sat at the dining table and started eating. "Mijoo-ah, give me your phone."

"Why?" I asked while handing him my phone and continued eating. He starts to do something with my phone and gave it back to me. It reminds me of the time when Chanyeol and Baekhyun placed their numbers in my speed dial for emergencies. 

"I installed a GPS tracker on your phone. If ever something happens, don't hesitate to call me okay?" Whoa. He's very ahead when it comes to technology compared to Chanyeol and Baekhyun.

"Alright." I replied. 

"Let's go. I'll drop you off at your school."

"Okay."

Jongsuk oppa drive our way to my school to drop me off. He's really doing his job as my brother now that I'm with him. I make my way to where we are asked to assemble and I can already see quite a number of students in here but no sign of either Chanyeol or Haekyung and Baekyun. I wonder if I'm too early.

"You're here?"

"Chan!" He smiled and approached me. "I thought I'm too early."

"No. Just in time." He replied and stared at me for a minute. He's making me uncomfortable right now. What's with him?

"What are you staring at?"

"Oh.. I was waiting if you're going to act awkward.y around me or what.."

"Why am I going to be awkward?"

"Because we're.. Um... Dating."

"I didn't agreed to date with you to act awkwardly Chan. In fact, you're the one doing it right now."

He chuckles and rubs the back of his head shyly. "Haekyung and Baekhyun will be here in a while. They told me they're going to buy something at the convenience store nearby."

"The two of them?"

"Yes."

"Alone?"

"Yes."

"They're not dating right?"

"And what if we are?"

I looked back and Baekhyun and Haekyung are here. "Haekyung-ah!" I greeted and hugged her. She chuckles and hugs me back.

"I can see that my best friend's back." She smiles.

"Eh? But I never left. AH! BAEKHYUN!"

"Idiot. You don't get it- AH! CHANYEOL-AH WHY DID YOU HIT ME?!"

"You flicked her forehead now that's fair."

"Ugh, now I'm getting annoyed now you're both dating."

"YOU'RE BOTH DATING?!" Haekyung exclaimed surprised. Oh, that's right. I haven't told her yet.

"Yeah, it turns out to be that way." I replied.

"Ugh, you're annoying Ahn Hyosun." Baekhyun groaned and I chuckled. 

"Oh my gosh! I'm so happy for you! I knew it!"

"Knew what?"

"I knew it that you like Chanyeol!"

"Eh?! How?!" She whispers something to me and I flush in embarrassment. I can't believe I didn't know it myself. 

"Okay! Time to get inside the buses everyone!" Our teacher announced. Everybody starts to get inside and it's started to get crowded. I don't like crowds so I'm going to wait until the crowd goes down. 

"What did she whispered to you?" I flinch in surprise after hearing Chan's voice.

"C..Chan!"

"Well?"

"N..Nothing in particular." I jump into the crowd. I can't believe I just did that. I pushed myself inside to get my seat and saw Haekyung seating with Baekhyun.

"You're sitting together?" I asked.

"Yeah, why jealous?" I chuckled. 

"You're cute right now." 

"S..Shut up." He said while flushing. We all laughed at his cuteness and Chanyeol and I took our seats. 

"Ahjussi?" I looked at the distance and I think I see the Ahjussi that took me and told me that I'm Mijoo. "Ahjussi, please wait a moment." I rushed to where he is but when I got there he's not there. Am I just seeing things? But I thought I just saw him here.

"What's wrong?" Chanyeol asks.

"Nothing."

 

Chanyeol


Ever since the trip began, Hyosun haven't said a single thing. She keeps on staring outside and I know that she's not looking at the view because she looks uneasy right now. I even tried to call her name for a few times but she didn't even answer. I held her hand and she looks at me.

"Something wrong?"

She hesitated to tell me at first what's wrong but then she smiles. "Don't worry. I'm fine."

"Do you think I'll fall for that? I've been with you for years and I know what's going on in every breath that you take."

"You're creeping me out."

"Ahn Hyosun."

"Earlier.. I thought I just saw that Ahjussi that abducted me. I'm sure I saw him standing behind the other bus."

"Are you sure?"

"I am certain."

"Then I'll believe you and I'll protect you no matter what it takes."

She smiles. "I know. You and Baekhyun are always there to save me even thought I don't call for help."

"Because you're precious to us."

She smiles and leans on my shoulder. "I'm glad to have you both."

"Uh.. Yeah."

She chuckles. "Are you upset that I'm addressing you both as one?"

"N..No. When did I say that I am?"

"I've been with you for years and I know what's going on in every breath that you take."

I was quite taken back when she repeated my own words. I chuckled in amusement. She's really witty. "I admit. You're pretty good. Too bad it doesn't show academically."

"Park Chanyeol!"

I chuckled. "Go to sleep. I'll wake you up when we get there."

"Alright." 

She closes her eyes and I placed the other earplug on her ear while I placed the other on mine. She usually fell asleep while listening to music. I always do it whenever she can't fall asleep because of the dark. It always works. "Anything specific that you wanted to listen to?"

"Yeah."

"What is it?"

"The song that you're going to choose." I chuckle. She's really getting me right now. She's making me fall for her harder and harder. I slide down to the song that I like and played it. I leaned in her head and closed my eyes. This dream is too good to be true? No. This girl is too good that it makes me feel that she became my reality.

••••••••••••••••••••••

We have arrived at the Gangwon Province and we are asked to place our things to our assigned rooms. Haekyung and I shared rooms with each other. After placing our things, we head back downstairs for us to start the first day of the activity. We are divided into groups and I ended up with Baekhyun, Jisoo and Byunghun. Yeah, we're at the same group that's why Baekhyun's eyes are currently on fire right now.

"Can't you soften your look Baek? Byunghun's gonna die with your stare."

"Well then, it's my pleasure to be the one that will kill him."

I sighed in defeat. It's no use. No matter what I say, he's just too annoyed with Byunghun right now. The first task was assigned and we are asked to get to the place where the clues that we have to find will take us. We started searching until Jisoo and I saw something up on a tree. It's too high and we can't reach it.

"Need some help?" Byunghun asked.

"Yeah, can you carry me? I can't reach that one." I replied.

"Of course." He crouched down and I was about to get on his back when Baekhyun kicked him, making him lose his balance and fall. "Baek! How can you do that?!"

"Oops. I think my foot just moved on its own."

"YAH BYUN BAEKHYUN!"

"Oh goodness. Stop fighting will you?! Why don't you just carry Hyosun Baek and Byunghuun will just carry me?" Jisoo suggested and we all agreed, especially Mr. Byun. "We'll be getting the other one at the other side Hyosun. Just call us of you need something."

"Okay." I smiled and replied. Baekhyun crouched down and I got on his back. I stretched put my arms but it's still a little bit far from my hand.

"Baek can you raise me a bit higher? I almost got it."

"Okay... Wait.." He struggles to lift me up a bit more until I got hold of the bottle where the clue is placed. "Oh sh*t!" Baekhyun loses balance and we both fell. 

"Ah.."

 "ARE YOU ALRIGHT?!" Baekhyun asks while panicking. 

"Yeah fine- BAEK YOU'RE BLEEDING!" I muttered and saw blood flowing from his temples. He must've hit it when we fell. "JISOO-AH!! HEL-mrrfff!" He covers my mouth and sighs.

"I'm fine." He stands up but then loses balance. "Ugh, I got dizzy all of a sudden. Curses."

"Maybe it's because of you head..." I exclaimed and cried. I hate it whenever they get in trouble because of me. This always happens and I hate it.

"Hey idiot, don't cry. I just need to rest for a while."

"But you got hurt because of me!"

He chuckles and ruffles my hair. "Idiot. You're such a crybaby. If Chanyeol sees us he's going to beat me to a pulp."

"I'm sorry.." He smiles and leans on the tree. 

"No need to be."

If only I can call someone right now but I can't because we surrendered our phones before this activity started. I wiped away the blood from Baek's cheeks with handkerchief and rinsed it with the bottle of water that I have and wiped it again. "That's enough Hyo. I'm fine."

"Are you sure?"

He stands up and smiles. "Of course. I get a chance for the girl that I like to worry for me. Now I'm alright." I flush in embarrassment. How can he say that so easily? He offers his hand to me and I take it. He helps me stand and we resumed to search for the clues. I stared at Baekhyun as he walks in front of me and I realized something. This guy that is walking in front of me has changed. He became stronger and amazing than the Byun Baekhyun that I have known in the past.

••••••••••••••••••••••

After finding all of the clues that each team needs, they all solved the puzzle and reached the destination. They have done each task that is assigned to them and they all became closer with each other. The task for the first day has been concluded and they are all asked to rest for the day to be ready for the next activity the next day. Hyosun and the other's headed to the hotel cafe to get themselves something to eat. On their way there, Haekyung and Chanyeol who are in the same group, saw Baekhyun and Hyosun going together. Chanyeol felt a sting of jealousy with the two of them even though he knows that Hyosun already likes him. Haekyung noticed it and smiled.

"Jealous?" She said.

"W..Who is?"

"Denial." She said and called Hyosun and Baekhyun. Chanyeol looks back at them and saw Baekhyun placing his arm at Hyosun's shoulder. He runs towards them and separated the two which brings surprise to the later.

"Chan?"

"Come with me." He took Hyosun's hand and took her with him. He stops and looks at Hyosun intensely on her eyes. "What's with that?"

"With what?"

"Why did you let him touch you?"

"What's with you Chan? It's just Baek!"

"That's the whole point! It's Baekhyun!"

"Why are you getting hyped up? It's just a simple thing!"

"For you it's not but for me it's a big damn deal!"

"Chan!"

"You're now my girlfriend Ahn Hyosun!"

"Don't talk like I'm your possession!"

"Damn Hyosun! I didn't say at you are!"

"Well, that's where you're going! You're such a jerk! Why can't you understand that it's just Baekhyun?!"

"SHUT UP!"

Hyosun flinched in surprise. She scoffed and left Chanyeol all alone. He was about to call her but he stopped himself from doing so. Haekyung heard all of it from afar and bit her lip in guilt.

"I'm sorry Hyosun. But I have to do this for your sake."