Chapter 5

What If...

Hyosun


"Oh! Ahjussi! Just a minute!" I shouted to catch the 6AM bus."Thank you!" I greeted and tapped my card. I headed at the seat and sighed. "I almost missed the bus." I mumbled to myself. From now on, I'm on my own. We're going to move tomorrow and I have to adjust right? I reached my stop and walked on my way to school. 

"Oh? Jongsuk-ssi!" I called and approached him. "Ahjussi!" I greeted his driver and he waves back at me.

"Oh, Hyosun-ssi." He smiled and greeted me.

"What are you doing here?"

"As I told you last time, I go here every morning hoping to see my sister."

"But how will you know that it's your sister if you don't even know what she looks like?"

 He smiled and ruffled my hair. "I use my heart. I know that I don't even remember her face because I'm too young. But I know that my heart will recognize her."

I smiled. I don't know why I feel like this but seeing that Jongsuk-ssi loves his sister so much makes me feel warm inside. "I will really try my best to find Mijoo-ssi!"

He chuckles and ruffles my hair again. "I'll be waiting for your call then."

"Okay." I looked at my time and back to him. "I should be going now. See you again next time Jongsuk-ssi."

"Okay. Be careful okay?"

"Yes!" I said then left. I don't know but somehow after I heard him say that makes me remember of Jaehyun oppa. I smiled then headed to my room.

••••••••••••••••••••••

"Oh? Isn't that Hyosun?" Baekhyun said pointing at Hyosun. "Wow, first she left without waiting for us and now she's with a guy?! I really can't believe her. She already exchanged us for another guy?!" He said.

Chanyeol didn't say anything and just looked at her. He was about to approach them when they bid each other goodbye. "Who's that guy?" Chanyeol asks.

"I know! I haven't seen him either!" Chanyeol groaned in frustration and ran after Hyosun. He grabbed her arm and makes her look at him.

"C..Chan! You surprised me!"

"Who's that guy earlier?" Chanyeol asked seriously. She looks at her intensely and gripped his fist in anger. Hyosun scoffed and looked at him.

"Now you care?" She removes his hands from her wrist and turns around. Chanyeol grabs her wrist again and made her look at him. "Tell me who that is."

"Ah.. Chan it hurts." 

Baekhyun noticed that Chanyeol's gripping Hyosun's wrist tightly. He grabbed Chanyeol's hand and removed it from hers. "Yeol what are you doing? You're hurting Hyo!"

"WHO'S THAT GUY?!"

"Why do you even care?!"

Because I love you. Chanyeol thought. He wanted to say it out loud but he restrained himself. He removes Baekhyun's arms from him and walks away. "I hate you Hyosun." He mumbled then left. Baekhyun grabbed Hyosun and pulled her to the clinic.

"What are you doing?"

"Shut up and sit down."

"What?" Hyosun scoffed and stood up. "Now you're ordering me around? After wanting to get rid of me?" Baekhyun pushed her down to the chair and grabbed her wrist. He places eyes on it and sighs. "Baek.."

"I'm sorry okay? I really am. I'm forcing myself not to talk to you for you to hate me but I just can't. I can't force myself not to care for you because it hurts seeing you like this."

"Why? Why are you forcing me to hate you?"

"For you to move. Don't ask why." Baekhyun sighed and placed ointment on her wrist for it not to swell. "Just please move Hyosun. For your sake."

••••••••••••••••••••••

Hyosun


"How long are you gonna stare at your food?" Jisoo asked. 

I'm still dumb founded with what Baek said earlier. I don't know why he's forcing me to hate him. I don't know why I should move out. I'm really confused right now and I think it's killing me. Does Chan feel the same? Oh who cares! He hates me for real! I groaned and ruffled my hair in frustration. Just forget it Ahn Hyosun and proceed with your mission. Yeah, I almost forget about Lee Mijoo.

"Oh, do you guys know of a girl named Lee Mijoo? I think she's at the same level as us."

"Lee Mijoo?" Jin mumbled and looked at Jisoo. "I haven't heard that name, do you?"

"Nope, I haven't either."

"Really? Is she at a different level then?"

"But why are you asking?"

"Oh, it's nothing. A friend of mine just happens to have his little sister at the same school as ours. He told me that he was separated with his sister and he longs to see him again."

"Ohhhh~ don't worry Hyosun-ah, if we happen to see a girl name Lee Mijoo we'll tell you."

"Thank guys!" I stood up and grabbed my tray. "I have to go for now. I'll see you guys later!"

I said then left. I opened my locker and grabbed my book inside then shut it close. I wonder where Lee Mijoo is. I don't know why I'm so curious about seeing her and finding out why they both separated. Ugh, my head hurts just by thinking. I hate thinking really. I stopped on my tracks when I saw Baek.

"Hey."

"Oh, yeah." Why do I feel awkward now? I feel so awkward!

"Have you eaten?" He asks.

"Yeah."

We stayed silent for a minute until Chan walks in. I met eyes with him but he avoided me and walks ahead. Fine, if you're going to ignore me, then I will too.

"Don't worry about Yeol.. He's just upset about you leaving."

I smiled. "I hope so. Oh yeah," I looked at Baek and said. "Can you help me move? I have a lot of things to bring."

"Sure thing." He answered and ruffled my hair. "Hyosun?"

"Yeah?"

"Always remember that no matter what the situation is, Chanyeol and I are always at your side okay?"

I am not quite certain what he said was all about but I just nod and smiled. Because even though Chan is acting differently right now, I know that no matter what happens, he'll always be there whenever I needed him.

••••••••••••••••••••••

Chanyeol


I stared at the books right in front of me and sighed. I don't think I'm in the mood for assignments right now. I feel like dying. I throw my head back and leaned on the chair. I stared at the ceiling and started counting to calm myself down. 1, 2, 3, 4-

"Chanyeol-ah." I startled at the voice. I sat up straight and saw Hyosun sitting right in front of me, but she's not smiling. The smile that I love to look at whenever I fell heavy on the inside. "You're still not saying anything?" I continued to stare at her. I don't know why I'm not talking right now. I must be insane or am I mute?

"You're not really mad at me aren't you?"

"What do you think?" I finally talked. She smiles. My heart started to jump after seeing that smile of hers. "Why are you smiling?"

"Nothing. It's just.. Just now, we had a conversation." I flushed in embarrassment. I think my heart suddenly forgot how to stop beating for a second. "Baek told me everything so don't worry. I know why you're acting like this and you can stop now because I'm really going to leave. Oppa asks me and Mom too."

"Hyosun."

She smiles. "Don't worry about me, I'll be okay." She stood up and picks up her things then prepared to leave. "I'll be going then." 

I don't know why but I suddenly stood up and help her hand. She looks at my hand holding hers then to my eyes. Her eyes look amazing, hazel brown eyes. "Chan.."

"Can you promise me something?"

"What is it?"

"Don't transfer schools. If you do, I might not be able to see you every day." What the hell did I just say?! Park Chanyeol are you out of your mind?!

"Okay then." She smiles and replied. "I won't transfer schools. I promise."

I automatically smiled after hearing her answer. This is bad. I can't hide the fact that I can't live a day without seeing her.

••••••••••••••••••••••

Hyosun


The weekend came and we're finally here at our new home. I entered my room as I place my things down. I opened the door for Chan and Baek and they placed my other things down besides the closet.

"Not bad." Baek said while looking at my room.

"Yeah. You can place your keyboard here Sun. You can see the view outside while you play." Chan said as he stands by the window. He looks outside and smiles. He looks at the other side and walks to my veranda. He stares at the houses and looked at Baek. He gestured him to go there and he did. "Look, is her neighbor a boy or a girl?"

I chuckled. This guys really. Baek looks at the window next door and grins. "It's a girl." I laugh and hit both of them. 

"Stop it okay? Even if it's a guy, I don't have any plans on having a conversation at my veranda."

"We still have to make sure." I shake my head and glanced at the time. 

"I think you both have to get back now. It's almost lunchtime."

"Mrs. Ahn told us to stay Hyo so don't worry."

"Mom did?"

"Yeah."

"Hyosun-ah! Chanyeol-ah! Baekhyun-ah! Time for lunch!" Mom called.

"See?" Chan said. "Let's go."

I chuckled and nod. I was about to go when I heard the window next door opened so I walked to my veranda to take a look. "Oh!" The girl next door exclaimed. "Hello!" She looks at me and waves. 

"Oh hello." she said back. I just said earlier that I'm not going to engage a conversation at my veranda but here I am doing it. "Um.. I'm your new neighbor. We just moved in earlier."

"Ah yes. I saw it earlier. If my eyes saw it correctly, there are four of you that will be staying at the house?"

"Oh," she must've seen Chan and Baek earlier. "There are only three of us. I think you saw my friends walk in."

"Oh, they're your friends? I thought they're your siblings since they're both boys."

I smiled. "What's wrong when they're boys?"

"Oh I don't mean to offend you but I guess it's just me. I don't have any friends at are boys so I think it's strange for a girl to have friends that are boys."

I chuckled. "What's your name?"

"Oh how silly of me! I'm Soo Haekyung."

"Nice to meet you Haekyung-ssi! I'm Ahn Hyosun!"

"Ah yes. Nice to meet you too."

"Yah! What the hell are you-" Baek said and met eyes with Haekyung-ssi. "Oh hello."

I laughed. "Now you're acting formally huh?"

"Heh~ says the one who said that she's not gonna engage a conversation at her veranda."

"Shut up."

"What the hell you two. I'm getting hungry." Chan mumbled while rubbing his tummy. He walks to us and looks at Haekyung. Since he's a cold guy, he ignored her and looked at me. "Let's go."

"That's so rude of you. Aren't you even gonna greet Haekyung-ssi?"

"Haekyung? Who's that?" He said and looked at me. He seems to get what I'm saying so he looked at her and bowed his head. I chuckled and ruffled his hair. 

"You're always so shy huh?"

"Shut your mouth." He mumbled. I looked at Haekyung and waved my hand.

"Nice to meet you again Haekyung-ssi! Talk to you later!"

"Okay." She smiled and waved. We make our way downstairs and I sat at the chair. "Oh, I'm quite disappointed with the food. I was hoping to see meat since it's our first lunch but all I see are seafoods."

"Don't complain. We just moved so I have no time to go to the market. Don't worry, I'll tell your brother to buy some beef after fetching your Dad at the airport." I frowned and started eating. Nothing good will come out of it if I complain so yeah. Chan places shrimp at my bowl and Baek and I looked at him in confusion.

"What was that?"

"Shrimp." He replied.

"No I mean, why did you do that?"

"Yeah! Why place shrimp on her food when you're not doing it to me?!" Baek added. Chan rolled his eyes and continued eating.

"Just keep eating."

Mom just then suddenly started to tear up. We looked at her weirdly. "Uh Mom? Why are you crying?"

"No.. It's just.. I feel bad for separating you three! I'm gonna miss this.."

"If you're gonna feel that way then why did we even move?!"

"Just because.."

"Ah Mom!"

"Just let her be Sun. Keep eating." I sighed and kept on eating. Sometimes, I really don't get Mom. She's weird. 

••••••••••••••••••••••

"We're going now!" Oppa and I exclaimed in unison. After putting our shoes on, we headed to Oppa's car. I told him that he can just drop me off at the bus station because it will be a hassle for him if he'll go all the way to my school. "Oh? Haekyung-ssi!" I greeted and approached her. 

"Oh, Good Morning Hyosun-ssi." She replied. She's really full of grace and she's very well-mannered. I'm not saying that I am because I'm very proud of the way how Mom and Dad raised me. It's just we're both different. How should I put it.. Ah! She acts like a princess. Now that I look at her, she's wearing my uniform. I haven't seen her before at our school though. Our school's not that big for me not to recognize faces so she must be new.

"You're wearing our uniform. Are you a transferee?"

She smiles and chuckled, a very mannered chuckle to be exact. "Um.. I wouldn't put it that I'm being transferred. It's my first time in school."

"EH?!" I exclaimed in surprise.

"Hey, what's with you? You're gonna wake up all our neighbors." Oppa approached.

"Oppa! I think I misheard what she just said right now! She told me that it's her first time in school!"

Haekyung laughs. "It really is. I've been home school for 14 years and it's the first year that I'm going to school so I'm a little bit excited."

"Oh! So that's it!"

"You should've let her finished before reacting idiot."

"Oppa!"

He rolled his eyes at me and sighed. "Why don't you go with us then? I'm going to drop you both off to school for today."

I nod. "That's great! Let's go Haekyung-ssi!" 

I'm so happy today now that I found a new friend and a girl on top of that! My way to school was very peaceful. No squealing of Baek and Chan's names and absolutely no winking. After a while, we arrived at school. We both got off and I greeted Oppa goodbye. "Here we are~"

"Wah, so this is a school! I can't believe that I can finally go to one!" 

"I really feel bad for you missing school for those years.." She chuckles and holds my hand.

"Can I ask you a favor Hyosun-ssi?"

"Sure."

"Can you be with me for my first day?"

"Of course. I'll be with you don't worry."

She smiles. "Hyosun!!!" Baek greeted and hugged me. My eyes widen in surprise and pulled off the hug.

"What's with you this early?!" 

He pouted and hugs me again. Really what's with him?! "I miss you already! Park Chanyeol's no fun!"

"Hey, I'm informing you that I'm right behind you." Chan said, straight-faced that is. I laugh and shake my head in amusement. 

"You know what Hyosun? I think I might move within this week! He's completely no fun! He doesn't want to watch dramas with me anymore! All he does is hold his guitar and make songs! He doesn't want me anymore!"

"CAN YOU SHUT UP." Chan snapped. We heard a petite laugh. I know who that is.

"Haekyung-ssi."

"You all must be really close huh? You all look cute." 

"Oh? You're here! The veranda girl!" Baek said. Chan smacked him in his head and glared at him.

"Don't name people. You're an embarrassment."

I laugh. I miss them really. I suddenly feel so tired, literally. Maybe it's my cold? I forgot to close my window last night after looking at the stars. Yeah, I'm careless. I was going through what if's this breakfast, but Oppa gave me my medicine just in case. "Sun, you okay? You don't look well." Chan asked.

"Yeah, I'm fine. It's just a cold."

"Cold? Did you leave yesterday? Did you forget your jacket or something?"

I smiled. "I'm fine Chan. I just forgot to close my window last night after looking at the stars."

"Okay then. But just in case, tell me if you feel uncomfortable okay?"

I nod. "Haekyung-ssi, do you need me to go with you to the faculty room?" I asked.

"Oh that will be nice." I smiled. 

"Okay then. Go ahead guys, I'll just accompany Haekyung-ssi to the faculty room."

"Okay then." They both replied and walked ahead of us. I walked Haekyung-ssi to the faculty and we bumped into Teacher Jung.

"Seongsaengnim!"

"Oh Hyosun, what's up?"

"She's Haekyung-ssi. Can you help her get to her class?"

"Oh sure. Come with me."

"Okay." Haekyung looks at me and smiles. "Thank you."

"It's nothing." I replied. I walked back to our classroom when I suddenly got dizzy. I was about to fall when somebody catches me. I looked up and saw Chan. "Oh? Chanyeol.."

"You're not well."

"I am I just got dizzy for a minute." I stand up. He holds my hand and looked at me. "What?" 

"Stay still." He said. He places his forehead with mine which makes me startle for a second. He's too close right now and I think my heart's beating so fast. Why am I like this? "You've got a fever you idiot."

"I do? I took the medicine that Oppa gave me though."

"Just go home for today Sun. I'll go with you."

I shake my head no. "I can't.. I promise Haekyung-ssi that I'll be with her for her first day."

"Hyosun." 

"I know you're upset but I-" my knees weaken I hold unto him. 

"See?"

"I told you I can't! I promised her! It's her first year in school because she's been homeschooled that's why I want today to be the best day of her life."

He sighs. "Alright I get you. But just rest at the clinic for now okay?"

"But.."

"Stop frowning. It won't work." He gets down and pats his back. "Get on my back. I'll carry you."

"I..I can walk Chan! No need."

"Get on my back Hyosun. Don't make me repeat myself."

He's mad. I sigh in defeat and got on his back and hold on to him. We reached the clinic and he gently lay me down. He pulls the covers to me and sat at the chair next to the bed. "You don't have to stay."

"Just sleep okay? I'll wake you up if it's time."

"Chan-"

"Don't argue. You know that you never win."

I frowned. "I get it!" I hissed. "Chan?"

"What?"

"I can't sleep. Sing me a song."

He chuckles. "Seriously?"

"Yes." 

"Okay then." He started to sing my favorite song, Angel. He composed it with Baek when we're thirteen. Since then they've been singing it to me. He caresses my hair as he sings. I started to feel sleepy and I close my eyes. I think just hearing Chan sing makes me feel comfortable.

Chanyeol


I stare at Hyosun as she falls asleep. I smiled and continued to look at her. I remember back then when we wrote Angel. She's the reason why we came up with the song. To Baek and I, she's really our Angel, especially for me. Whenever I feel stuffy in the inside, I just need to look at her and it'll all go away. 

"Such a careless girl." I mumbled and hold her hand. I placed it on my cheek for it to be warmed. If only I can transfer all of the pain that she's feeling right now I will. Even if it's just a cold, I don't want her to feel sick or anything. She's my everything and Hyosun's very important to me. I can't afford to see her in pain even for just a second.

"..Fubunew.." I chuckled. She's cute when she's talking in her dreams. I stared at her and she's even more beautiful today. I think I'm really crazy, she looks the same everyday but for me, I think she's getting more and more beautiful that I moment that I look at her again. My body started to move on its own and before I knew it, I leaned closer and kissed her.