Chapter 20

What If...

Hyosun


He kissed me. He just kissed me. I gasp realizing what happened and pushed him away. My tears came back and now I'm sobbing harder. He looks at me surprised. He nudges closer but I take a step back. The rain started pouring but I don't care. I need it. I need the rain to hide me from this pain. I need it to hide my tears away from him.

"Hyosun, we have to find a shelter or else you'll be sick! Stop running away from me!"

"Am I that easy to you? A person that you can leave and come back to anytime? Am I like that? The one that you can kiss and hug anytime? Am I like that?!" 

"I'm sorry Hyosun I just-"

"You're all like that! Now I'm seeing the real you! You and Baekhyun! You're the same!"

What is this that I'm feeling on my cheeks? I can't even tell whether it's rain or is it my tears? Ah, you've done your job rain. Even I can't tell which is which. I can't even tell if this guy is really the Park Chanyeol that I know before. I heard my phone ring but it's not on my pocket. Ah it fell on the ground. Chanyeol picks it up and looks at me. He answers the phone and I knew who it was. It's Baekhyun. He hangs up and walks closer to me.

"Let's go, we have to dry you up."

"No, I can go home by myself." I replied and took my phone with me. I started walking back but I know that I'm not alone. He's walking behind me. He's following me. I ignore the fact that he is following me and continued walking. My phone rings once again and it reads Jongsuk oppa. Now he told them. I didn't answer it and just kept on walking. I'm waiting where my foot will take me this time. 

"Hyosun, let's stop this okay? You'll get sick." My feet stopped on its track and make me face Chanyeol. I feel cold all of a sudden. I think it's the rain. "Let's go now okay?" He takes my hand and my stupid feet are following him. He's going to take me where Baekhyun is. It's suffocating. All of it. We stopped for shelter and he pulls out something from his pocket. His handkerchief. It's not that drenched. He sits in front of me and pats it on my cheeks, on my forehead, on my neck, and on my eyes. He stops, now he is looking at me. I don't even know how ridiculous I look right now. I am at the verge of crying again so I looked up to stop it. 

"It's like my tears are magnet whenever I see you." I mumbled with a shaky voice. I know that made him feel just as bad right now but I can't really stand looking at him. It hurts. It's like I keep on stabbing myself whenever I look at him.

"I'm sorry." He said. "I'm really sorry. I didn't mean to leave you." 

"You didn't mean to leave me in exchange for another girl huh?" My tears seem to have a mind on their own, they escaped through the side of my eyes. Now they're flowing again. Even if I shut my eyes closed they kept on flowing. Curses. 

"What? You think I left because of Ahyoung?" I look at him and I stabbed my heart just right. It hurts. "Look Hyosun, I didn't leave you for her! I left because I love you!"

" just stop talking! Stop saying that you love me because you don't!"

"Hyosun-"

"Stop calling my name! Stop appearing in front of me! All of you! I hate all of you!"

Baekhyun


She left. She just told us that she hates all of us. It's my fault. I should've told her that. Chanyeol chases her and I do too. I called her name once, twice? I don't even know how many times I've called her. Chanyeol catches up and he shakes his head no. We lost her. Jongsuk hyung's car stopped right in front of us and he got off together with Jaehyun hyung running towards us. 

"Any sign of her?" We both shake our head. "Hop in you two. We'll continue searching." 

And I did. I tried to call her but she doesn't pick up. I run my fingers to my hair in frustration and wipe my tears rashly. I can't lose her. Not Hyosun. I call her again and again but still nothing. I'm getting frustrated just by sitting at this damn car. "Hyung stop the car. I need to search elsewhere."

"It's raining hard outside, how can you search at his state Baekhyun?"

"Please Hyung! Please stop this damn car! If I don't see her now I think I'm going to lose my mind! Open the damn door and let me out!"

"Baekhyun calm down." Chanyeol said. I scoffed.

"Calm down?! This is all your fault! If you didn't go in the first place, Hyosun won't be like this! I gave her to you and this is all I get?!"

"You think I'm not in a right now?! I'm going crazy too! After I sacrificed everything just to protect her! After I heard her say not to appear right in front of her?! Damn it Baekhyun! She's the girl that I love the most! I got separated with her for a long time and this is what I get?!!" 

"Stop it you two!" I clench my fist in anger. I wanted to beat the hell out of him right now but I can't. I admit that he has a point but he's not the only one hurting in here. The car stops and the door lock opens. "Get the hell out and cool yourselves." Jongsuk hyung mumbled. We both get out of the car and let the rain drench us. It does cool me down but doesn't hide the fact that I'm still itching to run and find Hyosun. I run and Chanyeol does too. He stopped on his tracks and looks at me. 

"I might now where she is right now." We run back to the car and Chanyeol told Hyung to drive us back home and he did. After reaching the place, we both run to the tree house and there she is. Drenched in the rain, hugging her knees while crying and shaking in the cold breeze. Chanyeol takes his jacket off and placed it on her. "You'll get sick." He mumbled.

She hears our voice and looks at us. She's a crying mess right now. My heart aches just by looking at her and I know Chanyeol feels the same way as I do. He sat next to her and I did too. We hold her hand just like the old times and before I know it, we all fell asleep.

••••••••••••••••••••••

Hyosun


"There! It's pretty!!" I exclaimed in joy after we finished building our sand castle. Baekhyun rolled his eyes and sighed.

"It's not yet done idiot! It needs something on top!" 

"It does? Chanyeol, what is he saying? Our castle looks amazing right?" Chanyeol chuckles.

"I'm afraid he's right Hyosun." He stands up and scans the beach for something. 

Geez. What's with them? For me this castle is amazing! I even brought figurines! There's a princess in it and that's me of course! I brought Baekhyun and Chanyeol's too! I brought Baekhyun's favorite figurine, Sasuke. It's his favorite anime character. He loves Naruto very much. I brought Chanyeol's figurine of Ash from Pokèmon. He loves that show very much. At first, he told me to bring Pikachu but I told him that it has to be a human. I almost grabbed team rocket though.

Chanyeol came back with a little flag on his hand and a grin on his face. "I got this from the coffee shop nearby. They gave it to me in exchange for a photo for that noonas."

"That again huh?" I rolled my eyes in annoyance. Chanyeol and Baekhyun are very popular to girls even with Ahjummas. I don't get why these two seven year old boys are very popular. I mean, their visuals are just average. He places the flag on top and we all cheered.

"Oh yeah! Take a photo!" Baekhyun cheered. 

"Mom!! Take a picture of us with the castle!!" I called Mom.

"Okay! Be right there honey!" Mom grabs his phone from her bag and runs towards us. She positions her phone and started counting. "1,2,3!"

"Kimchiiiii!!" We all said in unison and our photo with the castle is taken!

"Ah!" I lose my balance and fell at the sand castle. "No!!" I mumbled. I started crying. I ruined our sand castle. 

"Hyosun are you alright?!" Baekhyun and Chanyeol said in unison.

"Yes.. But our sand castle.." I wipe my tears but they keep on coming out. Now they hate me. 

"Take our hand Hyosun, get up." Chanyeol said softly. They are holding both of their hand at me with smiles on their faces.

"I can't.. You both hate me now. I ruined our castle..."

"Yeah right. We hate you!" Baekhyun said. As expected now they hate me! "But you're important to us rather than that stupid damn castle. Even if we hate you or things go otherwise, we're going to hold out our hands to you like this, stupid girl. We won't hate you no matter what." 

"He's right. We're always going to be there for you Hyosun." Chanyeol added. I smiled and wipe my tears away. 

"Mm. Then I'm going to be there for you guys in return then!"

 

"Hyosun....." What was that? 

"Hyosun.." The voices repeat. What was that? I slowly open my eyes and find Baekhyun and Chanyeol with me. Why are they here? And why are they beside me? Am I dreaming of the past earlier? "Hyosun? Are you having a nightmare? You're crying." Chanyeol said.

"I am?" My fingers find their way to my eyes and they suddenly feel wet. "I am crying."

"What did you dream of? Did some kind of bastard scare you?!" Baekhyun asked.

"No."

"Then what did you dreamt of?"

"You both." They both seem to be shocked. Baekhyun cleared his throat as if he realized that he called himself a bastard. I chuckled at the thought and they both smiled. A smile of relief. "Wait, why are you both in here?" They both take each of my hands and place them on their foreheads. We all have fevers. "Oh.." 

Things that happened yesterday flowed back to me and I feel bad for doing so. "I'm sorry.."

"You idiot. We're at fault too. We're sorry too but," they hold on to my hand tighter. "Remember back then? The time at the beach?" Baekhyun asks.

"We promised not to let go of this hand even if hate consumes the three of us." Chanyeol continued. I tried to hold back my tears but I can't. I'm really thankful at I have friends like them. "Stop crying Hyosun, eo?"

"I'm sorry.. I didn't really mean it when I told you not to appear in front of me.. I'm really sorry.. I thought I can live on my own already but it turns out that I still need the both of you.." I felt their presence with me as I cry. It's always been like this, they are really there whenever I need them. The three of us.. Will we be able to stay like this forever?

••••••••••••••••••••••

After a feeling of vomiting my whole intestines at the toilet, I finally walked out of the bathroom and laid myself back to my bed. Chanyeol's still resting and I'm feeling that he's feeling worse as I do. We hate it when we have fevers. It's not like the common fevers that other people have, I think we three only have it. I don't know if it's weird that we're similar when it comes to this or the fact that we're the only ones that I know are like this. Now that I mentioned it, Baekhyun's not here.

"Chanyeol? Are you awake?" I mumbled with a hoarse voice. 

"Yeah.." He replied pulling the covers up on him. I wanted to ask where Baekhyun is to him but he seems to be very weak. I climbed out of my bed and sat next to him checking his temperature. I guess his fever is higher than mine. 

"Do you feel not too well?" He reaches out for my hand and mumbles something that surprised the hell out of me.

"Sun... I'm very cold right now.. Can you.. Lie down next to me?" He usually asks that question to me way back when we're kids and I used to do it but he situation right now is quite complicated. I mean, we were once in a relationship and I still have feelings for him. I don't know about him but the feeling that I'm having right now if sophistically complicated. "Hyo..sun.. Please.." His voice is shaking and I can hear him being desperate. I'm feeling very dizzy right now and I don't know if it's my fever or it's him that's making me feel like this.

"Alright." I tried to sound as calm as I can be and lower myself next to him. I gasp in surprise when he pulled me closer hugging me tightly. My heart started to beat fast and I can hear his too. We're doing it again. We're sharing the same heartbeat. He hugs me tighter again and now I can feel his warmth, literally though. "Chanyeol? Are you really okay? You're really warm right now.."

"Hyosun..." 

"Yeah?"

"Don't go.." I think he's dreaming right now. Is he dreaming about me leaving? Is it why he's holding me tight right now? For him not to lose me? But I think I'm not the first person to let go of the other hand. I think it's him. "Don't leave me.."

His words defeated my principle to keep my distance from him and now I find my arms wrapped around him. I'm hugging him back right now which is the worst thing that I've ever done. I'm making things harder for us again. "I didn't leave Chan.. You did." I mumbled and buried my face on his chest. Then I felt it. He's crying on his sleep and he's sobbing. I looked up to see his face and tears are escaping from his eyes. I get up and shake him out of whatever dream he's having right now. Whatever it is, I don't like it. He opens his eyes and gasped.

"Chanyeol, are you okay? You're-" I was cut off with my own words. He grabs me taking me to his arms like he's afraid that something might happen. "Chan?"

"You're here.. I thought you left..I..I.. I'm so sorry.. I really am.." I want to say something back to him and make him realize how much hurt he has done to me but I can't. Seeing him like this hurts me even more and it feels like it's my fault for making him like this. "Please believe me Hyosun.. I didn't leave for another girl.. I did it to protect you.. I really love you."

I pulled back from him and looked at him. I smiled and nod telling him that I understand. I climb back to my bed and pulled the covers up to me. I just lied.

••••••••••••••••••••••

After we three got sick, things went back to normal (or so it did). The only difference is that, I'm keeping my distance with Chanyeol. Why? It's not because that I don't love him anymore because no matter how I force myself not to, I still do. The reason is that, I found out that Ahyoung has a cancer and her days are numbered. I'm not overjoyed or anything because I feel bad for her. I can see that she loves Chanyeol that much which is why he can't leave her that easily. So now, I managed to set my goal. I won't deal with romance for the meantime. Instead, I am first going to find out about myself and about my parents. I'm thinking that if ever that I solve this problem of mine, I'll be able to end everything and start a new life. So here I am sneaking in to my brothers' room while Jaehyun oppa's showering and Jongsuk oppa's helping mom do the dishes. 

I feel like I'm a top secret agent, wait even better. I feel like a ninja at this state. I reached for Jaehyun oppa's phone and guessed the password. I watched a drama one time on how to open a lock on a phone. Well, on that drama, she's trying to catch her husband who's been cheating on her. So she placed the phone in front of the lamp and she looked at the screen from its side. Now, I'm going to try it if it really works and what do you know, it really does. I draw the figure that seems to be oppa's password and the phone opened. I searched for the name that I've been curious for a long time now, Detective Yoon. I opened my phone and copied the number in it. Afterwards, I scanned at his messages and saw tons sent by my brother to Detective Yoon. I immediately took photos of them because I obviously have no time if I read them all here. After doing what I planned, I walked back to my room and locked the door. 

"Now let's see what's up." I scanned his email and saw something worth seeing. "This is the medical information that Baekhyun showed me back then when I had my eye surgery. But what about it?" I scrolled down to look at the message that Oppa had written and it says:

 

It seems like this one's been forged. I just find out earlier. I want you to find out more behind it. I'll be expecting your call detective.

 

So the record was forged? But by whom? Is it the one who blackmailed Chanyeol? I continued scanning the photos that I took and find something. It's a necklace, no wait. I think it's a locket and I think the photo that's inside it is ours. With my biological parents that is. I wonder if Detective Yoon has it. Oh right, the message. I read my brother's message and it says:

 

Jongsuk showed this to me. It seems to belong to their parents before they died. He told me that he have to handle it very carefully because it's a key for something. I think they're really speaking literally. Please find out more about it. I'm going to give the locket to you tomorrow and see what you can find out.

 

That locket, I have to see it. But I think it's still in Detective Yoon's hands. I guess I don't have any other choice but to meet that person. I dialed his number and called him. After a while, he answers.

"Hello?"

"Um, hello? Detective Yoon? This is Ahn Hyosun. I guess you know about me already?"

"Hyosun-ssi? But how- did you sneak in to Jaehyun's room to get my number?" 

I chuckled. "I guess they don't call you detective for nothing."

"So, what's up?"

"I'm going to ask a big favor from you Detective and I'm really hoping that you would help me out."

"Sure. Let's meet up. What will be the best time for you?"

"Um I think after school tomorrow? And I hope that no one will find out about me talking to you."

He chuckled. "I got it. I'll pick you up at your school tomorrow then."

"Alright."

I hang up and sat on my bed. I smiled in joy. Just a little bit more. I'm going to find out who Lee Mijoo really is.