Chapter 21

What If...

Hyosun


I looked out at the window and think of all of the possibilities that can happen later. I'm going to find out everything about my parents. I should be excited or what but I feel scared. Ever since I wake up this morning, my hands didn't stop shaking. I'm afraid that if I find out the truth, I will end up hating them. What if my parents are not good people? What if the reason that someone is after us right now is because they have done something bad to them? What will I do if these are all true? I shake the feeling off and headed out of the classroom. I guess I'll be cutting the last class after all. I sat at the staircase and wrapped myself with my arms. I'm very puzzled right now. 

"Hyosun? Where are you?!" A voice called. Who's that? My mouth opens but nothing came out. It's Chanyeol. No, he can't see me right now. I stand on my foot and ran away but I'm too weak to do so. Damn it. "Hyosun?"

"D..Don't come closer!" I hear his footsteps stop right behind me. "J..Just go back. I want to be alone right now so go."

"How can I go when you're like this? You don't look good when you went out of the classroom so I followed you."

"I promised myself to distance myself from you so please do me a favor and go."

"Hyosun-"

"Please go." 

I feel him hesitate for a while but he left afterwards. I opened my phone and sent a message to Baekhyun asking him to bring my things back at home later. I searched for Detective Yoon's number and told him that I can meet him right now. I walked on my way to the exit without being noticed. I waited for five minutes or so until Detective Yoon arrives. 

"This was unexpected." He said while driving.

"I'm sorry.."

"It's okay kiddo." He ruffled my hair and smiled. "I'm guessing that the reason why you called me is because of your parents?" I nod. "Well, are you ready to know?" I nod. "Well then, we'll be going somewhere. That's how you'll get to know your parents." 

And I waited. He drives our way and we ended up at an abandoned place. We got off the car and I followed Detective Yoon. "See this burnt place? This is where you parents died. It's where you originally live," he looks at me while his expression changes. "Lee Mijoo." 

"Please tell me... Why are they killed?"

"Because of a certain household."

"Eh?"

"They're the ones who killed you parents. Why? I don't have enough evidence but I have an assumption. I'm guessing that it's because of this locket." A locket falls on his hands and I stared at it as it move from side to side. "It's not just an ordinary locket. And I think it belongs to you. Here, take it." 

I walked closer and take the locket from his hands. I turn the locket backwards and I saw my name engraved in it, "Lee Mijoo" it says. "Mijoo." I looked back after he called me. He's the second person to call me by that name. "I'm going to call you that from now on because that's who you are and you have to accept it. Now here's another present."

He hands me a box and I didn't expect it to be this heavy. He helps me place the box on the ground as I stare at it. He smiles and takes the locket from me placing it above the box. The shape of the locket fits perfectly at top. He pushes it the box opened. "Now I'm going to give you some time to process that all. I'm just going to be at the car okay?"

I nod. When he walks away, I started to feel uneasy. What might be inside this box will tell me what kind of person my parents are. I opened the box and find a lot of things inside it. What catches my attention is a letter. I think it's written before the accident. I opened it and started reading.

 

To my dearest Mijoo and Jongsuk, 

By the time you're reading this letter, I assume that it already happened. I'm sorry my angels. We have to do it to protect our family. Jongsuk honey? Mom is going to ask you a big favor. Please take care of you little sister by the time you meet again. You both were going to be separated for a short while, but it's for you both to be safe. I want you to search for Mijoo as soon as you can and protect her in our place. Mijoo? I'm sorry that Mom and Dad are not there by your side to take care of you honey. As much as I wanted to be there when you first learned really how to walk, to talk, your first time in school, first crush, first love and first boyfriend, I can't. I'm so sorry honey. Please remember that Mom and Dad loves you so dearly. Mom loves you Mijoo. I really do. You don't know how happy I am seeing you after how many moths of waiting. Seeing your first smile makes all of the pain that I am feeling at that moment disappear. I love you both. The time will come that you both will have to carry on this battle for us and all of the things that you will be need are inside this box, so please handle it with care. Again, I will never get tired of saying I love you to you both. Always be careful okay? I will always be your mother.

Love,
Mom

 

I'm crying again. How many times have I cried this week already? I guess it's the longest and first time I have ever done something like it. I'm crying so hard right now. I want to see you Mother. I don't even remember how you look like. I want to see you even if it's just for once. I want to see you both. I continued searching inside the box and found a tape recorder. I listened to it and my body stiffened after the recording ends. Mom actually discovered that the head of a certain household killed the Director of the hospital for him to take their place. And because of that, he almost killed Mom. But luckily, Dad arrived and shot that guy. I close the box shut and intake all of what I have heard just now. So this is why? This is the reason why we're both wanted to be killed? Because Dad accidentally killed the head of a certain household? But who could that be?

"You finished?" Detective Yoon asks and I nod. He nudges closer and hugs me. "It's alright. That's the same reaction Jongsuk had when he first found out. I bet he's going to kill this old man if he discovers that I told you everything."

"T..That household.. Who are they?"

"I don't know yet. You know that friend of yours? Park Chanyeol. He sent us all of the last pieces of the puzzle. We're in a middle of putting it together. But I don't think you're ready to know it all in just one day. Go home for now and I'll tell you everything when you're ready." 

"C..Chanyeol did?"

I think he's right though. The fact that I now know that my Father accidentally killed someone shocks the hell out of me. This is why I'm scared of finding out who they really are. I'm scared that they're not going to be the people who I pictured them to be.

••••••••••••••••••••••

"You what?! I thought we already have agreed not to tell everything to Mijoo until everything is settled?!" Jongsuk enraged as he talks to Detective Yoon on the phone.

"I did promise. But the looks on her face were quite disturbing. I doubt that if you saw that face of hers, you'll do the same." Jongsuk bit his lip in shame. "I don't think you have time to nag me though. I just sent her home. Go and see her. You're the one who she needs right now."

Jongsuk ruffled his hair in frustration and headed to his car after sending a message to Jaehyun that he will be leaving earlier than usual. He drives full speed ahead and ran towards Hyosun's room when he reached home. He found her at the corner with her lights off. She's hugging her knees as she cries hardly. He sighs seeing the scene in front of him. He walks towards her and takes her on his arms placing her on her bed. "I'm sorry." He said.

"Why didn't you tell me?" 

"I'm going to tell you after everything are settled."

"Who was it? Who did Dad killed? Please tell me, oh? Oppa.." He wipes her tears away and smiled. He hugs her close and lay down on her bed next to her.

"You think I'll tell you if you're in this state? You'll breakdown if I do. And hey," he hold her cheeks and pinches her nose playfully. "Father didn't kill anyone. He just did that to protect Mother so don't think that way okay?"

"Oppa.."

"Did you eat dinner? I bet you didn't. Let's go and eat. I'm hungry. If they see you in that state it won't be nice Mijoo." Hyosun smiles and wiped her tears away. She stands up and hugs her brother. "Mijoo?"

"Then promise me one thing."

"What is it?"

"Promise me first."

"How can I promise something when I don't even know what it is?"

"Oppa!" 

Jongsuk chuckled and nods. "Alright I promise."

"Alright, now you have promised to tell me everything that you know about us slowly but surely." He laughs and flicks her forehead. "Ah!"

"You witty girl." He pats her head and smiles. "I promise that I will."

••••••••••••••••••••••

Hyosun


I think I'm lost. I tried to retrace my steps back when the night that I got here. I told Chanyeol that there will be no need to pick me up because I remembered how and where their subdivision is but I think I am now lost. I think my screen above my head is starting to light up again saying HELP. I'M INCREDIBLY LOST PARK CHANYEOL. But I'm not calling him because that will be a great shame. I sigh and sat at the sidewalk to take a break. I glanced at my watch and it says ten fifteen. I'm already an hour and fifteen minutes late. This is just so humiliating. 

"As I thought. You're lost." I can't look up right now because I know that's Chanyeol's voice. But the good side is, I'm at the right track right? I continued to look at the ground avoiding his gaze but he sat in front of me and chuckled. "You're an hour and fifteen minutes late Hyosun-ssi."

"I know.." He laughs.

"You should've called me." He offered his hand for me to stand and I take it. As soon as my hand touches his, my heart started to beat fast again. Stupid heart. He just helped me to stand that's all. I shake the feeling of and cleared my throat.

"I don't need to. Besides, I managed to get in here." 

"If you say so then." I gritted my teeth in annoyance. I hate it when he knows everything. I followed him and we reached their house. Wow, this is incredible. It's like the ones I've seen in dramas. He pressed the code on the door and it opened. We stepped inside and I scanned the place. It got it. The pictures I mean. The two of them. He seems to notice me looking at the pictures. He takes my hand and pulls me towards the kitchen. "I bet you're hungry."

"I'm not." Because I already loss my appetite looking at those damn pictures.

"Chan? Is she here?" After hearing that voice I can already tell that it's Ahyoung. My heart started to beat fast not knowing what to do. 

"Yeah she's here." He answered.

"Oh hello." He greeted and smiled. What's this girl? Is she bipolar or something? She acts like she hates me and for a minute she's like an angel. What's going on here people?! 

"H..Hi." What's with the stupid stutter Hyosun? She walks to the fridge and grabs the cup that Chanyeol's holding and placed water in it chugging all of the water she poured inside. Chanyeol chuckled as he looks at her and continued fixing my food. 

"I'll be going now! See you later!" She said walking to the door.

"Okay be careful." Chanyeol mumbled. 

After witnessing the whole scene, I can actually say that they looked like a married couple just now. Wow just incredible. "What?" I mumbled as he looks at me. 

"What are you thinking right now?"

"Just finish my food so that I can eat that."

"Is that what you're thinking?"

"Yeah." 

"I see." He smiled and pushes the plate on my direction and wipes his hands on the towel. He hands me a spoon and fork telling me to start eating. I started eating quietly because right now, I have no intention of talking to him. I just feel awkward when I do. "She knows." He speaks and I have no idea what the hell is he blabbering about.

"What does she knows?"

"That I like you." Because of my stupidity, I dropped my fork. He chuckled in amusement and I bit my lip in shame. "Surprised aren't we?"

"Stop."

"I'm sorry what?"

"Stop liking me!" I'm dead serious right now and I'm trying to hold back my tears. No crying. "I'm begging you stop liking me Chanyeol. I'm doing my best not to like you either." His expression changes and takes my hand placing it on his chest.

"I want to. The moment I heard you tell me that you cried because of me, I tried not to. But see?! It doesn't stop. My heart can't stop beating for you Hyosun. No matter what I can't stop liking you. Because I already have fallen hard for you."

I grabbed a cup and placed water in it then chugged it all down. It feels so hot in here. I continued eating my food and I chocked but then I chugged the water down again and I'm good. Chanyeol smiles in amusement and do the dishes as I eat. Ugh, I hate it when he knows what to say. I finished eating and I hate how Chanyeol can't stop smiling. He's grinning like an idiot right now and I hate it. He places the materials on the table and we started working.

"Stop smiling."

"What? I can't smile now?"

"I hate it."

"Why?" He stares at me for a second like he's been teasing me. I smirked knowing his weakness. I nudge closer and his eyes widen in surprise. "W..What are you doing?"

I laughed and went back to my place. "Haha! You should've seen the look on you face!"

"You're joking?"

"Of course. Park Chanyeol you!" I said while pointing my pencil on him. "I'm going to forget about you."

He smirks and shakes his head. "Let's see you try then." He nudged  closer and now he's just inches away from me. Will I really forget about him when my heart's beating fast for him like what I am feeling right now?

••••••••••••••••••••••

And today is Friday~ the last day of the week. Haekyung came over to my house after hearing that I'm alone. Now we're sharing your our girl time and watching drama together. I told her everything. About Chanyeol, their secret and about my parents. But as I tell her everything about it, her expression changed when she heard about my parents. I asked her why but she just told me that she's shocked and all. Well I guess my story's shocking though. 

"So, I heard from Baekhyun that your birthday's coming up?" She asks and I grin.

"Oh My, what's this? You're both getting along together!" I teased. But actually, my intention is for them to end up together. Haekyung's my best friend and I want her to be happy. Well yes, Baekhyun is my best friend to but I can't have him hoping to me for nothing. I told myself to say no to romance for a while. 

She rolls her eyes at me and munches on to the crackers that she had on her bowl. "I dumped him you know?"

"You what?!" Apparently, that's not what happened. Haekyung told me that he confessed to Baekhyun. But before he can say something, she told him that she has no intentions of dating him because she knows that feelings can't be changed easily. So apparently, she dumped him for as a self-defense mechanism. "Wow, you're amazing."

She chuckles and continued eating. "You just changed the subject. Now tell me, is there anything that you want for your birthday?"

"I don't have that thing in mind though. Guess coupons will do?"

She eyed me with a weird look and sets her food down then faced me. "Are you playing with me or what? You mean those things that you get for buffet restaurants?"

I laughed. "No, no. Not that kind of coupons. Well you see, Jaehyun oppa always gives me three of that whenever I tell him I don't have a particular present I want in mind."

"And tell how does these coupons work?"

"It's like three wishes. To be simple, it's like you're my genie until I consumed all of those three wishes. Oh! And don't worry. Wishing for another three wishes is forbidden."

"Well that works for me. I'll take that three-coupon-gift for you then." I smiled. "Then, what will be your first coupon?"

"Hmm.. Let's see.." Since my birthday is on Monday, I still have days to spent before it and it's perfect. I still didn't spend time with Haekyung up until now, so I think that will be awesome. "Just spend one day with me. I think that's great."

"Me? Not with Baekhyun or Chanyeol?"

"No. I don't think it will be nice if I spend a day alone with them. I think I can't take a single second with them."

"Are you still mad at them?"

"I don't know. I just feel stuffy deep inside whenever I am with them. But I don't hate being with them. I just keep on remembering a painful side of me whenever I am with them. So I guess, spending my day with you will be a great idea."

She smiles and I think she's happy hearing that. "You just made me feel awesome with those words of yours."

"Well, you're welcome."

"Well then, look forward to your big day because you're new best friend in the whole wide world will make it awesome for you."

I chuckled when she just made a name for herself. I guess choosing Haekyung over Baekhyun and Chanyeol will be great. Because I think Haekyung's a great friend and I know that she won't betray me no matter what.

••••••••••••••••••••••

Haekyung


I opened the lights on my room and was about to take a seat when I saw Unnie seating at my bed. She smiles and stands up. "Long time no see Soo Haekyung." I looked at her displeased because I really am. I don't like everything that she's planning because I know that it'll hurt Hyosun and I don't want that. She's the first person to accept me as to who I am even though I am weak. I promised that I'll protect her as long as I can.

"Why are you here?"

"That's a rude thing to say to your sister."  I bit my lip in annoyance. I'm not really her sister. I'm actually adopted back then when Unnie told me the truth. And ever since my foster parents died, she hasn’t treated me as a real sister then. Because of that, I wanted to change for her. For her to finally accept me in whatever way she wanted. Which is why I wanted to avenge my foster parents’ death for her to like me? But things changed. I finally met a friend who will accept me just the way I am and that's Hyosun. "I missed you dearly. Why don't you come back to me?"

"What do you want?"

She chuckles. "You really know me by heart. Well I'm going to get straight at the point." Her expression changes and slides the paper on her hand. It's Hyosun's medical data when she had her eye surgery last year. 

"Don't tell me.. You forged it?" 

She laughs and claps he hand. "Wow, you're really amazing!"

"You're really crazy aren't you?!"

She sits back to my bed and looks at me. "Here's the thing. On the day of her birthday, bring her here."

"What are you going to do if I don't?"

"I knew you would say that. If you don't," she walks to me and leans on my ear. "She'll know what household her father messed with."

"Don't you dare!"

"Watch me." Unnie stands up and walks to my door. Before she goes out, she glances me for the last time and waves playfully. "Bye~" she sing song and closed.

My hands started to shake. It's happening again. I don't want to lose someone again..

Flashback

I take a stroll with my new bicycle downtown and smiled at the view. I parked my bike in front of my so-called house but really it's not. This orphanage just became my home since my parents left me. I heard a familiar music as it plays. I smiled knowing who's playing. I continued walking inside and saw Xiumin playing the piano. He notices my presence and smiles. I smiled back not wanting to be rude. I usually come back here after school to visit the people who took good care of me back then. Unnie told me that the people here were really great back then when they come and had the urge to adopt me. She told me I was still a year old when they got me.

"How's school?"

"Still school." He chuckles and pats the space next to him. 

"You know you can make some friends if you like."

"I don't need them. They will all think that I'm troublesome just like my sister. I bet she wanted to give me back here now that the people who adopted me are long dead."

His smile changes. He closes the piano and looks at me. "I told you not to talk like that. You're not a weak person. It's just you get sick easily."

"That's the same as being weak."

"Haekyung, did something happen at home?" He asks holding my hand.

"I heard her. She told me that we're leaving." 

His smile changes, no it fade away. I know that he doesn't like what he's hearing right now. Xiumin had been my best friend but then we had to be separated. "I see."

"Yeah.." Silence started to crept in. Its silent but it hurts my ear. This silence is deafening. I have to say something. I felt something against my hands and when I look at it, they're tears. I looked at Xiumin and he's crying. "H..Hey."

He chuckles wiping his tears away. He's such a crybaby. "I'm sorry. I can't help but not to cry when I heard that you're leaving."

"Don't cry Xiumin! You'll get you seizures again!" I panicked. He's a weak person like I am but our only difference is that, he doesn't let his weakness take over him. He grabs my hand and pulled me closer to him. "Xiumin?"

"Then, can you stay like this for me to calm down?" I smiled and nodded. He stopped crying and he my hair as time pass by. I can hear the clock tick as every second pass but it seems to us that it had stopped right before he started hugging me. "Will you come back?"

"Yeah, I will come back. For you." 

He pulls back from the hug and holds my cheeks. "That will be great then. Here," he hands my his little bottle with a piece of sand and a little shell inside.  He always has this right by his side ever since I first went with him at the beach. "When we grow up, we might not be able to recognize each other so have that. I will find you if you have it."

"But how am I supposed to find you? I don't have anything."

He smiles and kisses my forehead. "Don't worry. No matter what I will be the first one to find you."

End of Flashback

"Liar."

Tears flowed from my eyes reminiscing the past. When we first went back to Korea, I immediately went back to the orphanage to see Xiumin. But the most tragic story that I heard was told. They told me that Xiumin passed away due to seizures after I left. He left me. He told me that he's going to be the first one that was going to find me but it turns out that he's the first one that had left me. I swear to myself that I will protect Hyosun. I won't let another person leave me without my permission. 

••••••••••••••••••••••

Chanyeol


I stared at Hyosun as she concentrates on putting the pieces together. I smiled at her cuteness and continued working but she's my biggest distraction. I can't seem to take my eyes away from her. "Have any plans for today?" I asked. I know that it's her birthday and I was planning on treating her out.

"Yeah, I don't have plans on spending my birthday with you." 

"I see.." She hates me. I get it, but no matter what, I can't make myself hate her. 

"I don't hate you Chan." My heart started to flutter when she just called me that. I looked at her surprised and she smiles. "I just want you both to understand that I still haven't forgotten about what happened this past few days and I wanted to distance myself with you both. I don't want to make myself hate you both just because of that."

I smile getting where she's coming from. "Alright." But I'm not giving up just yet.

"Oh it's time. Haekyung will be waiting for me!"

"So you're going out with her?" I asked. 

"Yeah." She grabs her things and places them on her bag and I helped her. She stands up and runs towards the door but I grabbed her hand to stop her. "What?"

"I was planning on giving this to you if you agreed to going out with me but I don't think that it will happen huh?" She chuckles. "So here." I opened the box that I'm holding and places the star necklace on her. She smiles and holds on to it. "Happy Birthday Hyosun."

"Thanks." I was planning on giving her a hug but she steps back and stops me. "No hugging."

I chuckled. "Okay then."

"Bye!" I nod and wave her goodbye. I closed the door and saw Ahyoung looking at me. She approached me and hugs me. My heart starts to ache again. I don't want her doing this. It makes things harder not only for her but for me too. She knows that I only love Hyosun and no other. 

"Ahyoung-"

"Just for a minute. I know you can't give me your heart but at least just give me your time. I don't have much left so just stay with me just until I-"

"Shut it!" I exclaimed. I don't want her talking about dying. I hate it. I don't hate Ahyoung. During my stay here, she grew to be like a sibling of mine and I care about her. "Don't talk about that. You still have much time left so don't talk about dying." She smiles and nodded. I hug her back and stayed like this.

"I envy her. No matter how much I try, it seems like you only open your heart for her huh?" I don't say anything because if I do, I know that it will only hurt her. "I guess I'll take that as a yes?" She chuckles and pulls away. "You don't have to worry about me anymore Chanyeol. You can go back to her but please just stay in this house with me. I just want to see you by my side."

I don't know how should I react. She just told me to go back to Hyosun and does she expect me to run outside and go to Hyosun telling her that I can love her again? I won't do it. "Why are you still here? Go after her."

"No," I walk back to the table and start fixing my things. "If I do that, it's like I am staying here because I pity you. No Ahyoung. I don't pity you. I am staying at this house because I care for you and you're important to me. You know you're like my sister."

She chuckles. "I was about to fall for you again until I heard your last phrase." I smiled and continued on cleaning up. 

••••••••••••••••••••••

Hyosun


I agreed to meet Haekyung at the Gwanghamun square and we headed to the nearest café. From what I have read so far, best friends usually spend their time together at a café and exchange stories with each other. So far, I have consumed one of my coupons for Haekyung-Genie. Well yeah, that’s what I’ve been calling her since I met her and she laughed. We ordered ice cream and a cake to share together. We started eating and I’m about to use my second coupon because as far as I can remember, Jinyoung told me that Haekyung had always been a private person. Just to be sure, I want to know as much as I can about her.

“Kyung, I’m about to use my second coupon.” I mumbled and ate some ice cream.

“Already?”

“Yeah.”

“So, what is it going to be this time?”

“My coupon. I want to use it to know more about you. Please tell me all about you. I want to know as much as I can.”

Her expression changes as she drops the spoon that she’s holding. I don’t know why she acted like that but I had a feeling that she’s hiding something from me. Something that I shouldn’t know.