Chapter 10

What If...

Hyosun


“EH?!! YOU JUST BROKE UP WITH BAEKHYUN?!!”

I covered my ears with my hand. Jin, Jisoo and Haekyung’s voice are not a joke. “Geez, do you have to yell that high?”

“Oh my oh my, why is she acting like nothing happened huh?” Jisoo mumbled.

“I know right? Hey! You didn’t even last for a day!” Jin added.

“Did something happen?” Haekyung asks.

“That’s what I want to know myself.” That’s what I’ve wanted to know. Nothing happened. I was actually surprised when he asked to break up. Now that I think about it, he told me that I like Chan! What’s with that? I don’t remember telling him that.

“But do you really like Chanyeol?”

“What?! No! That was a long time ago! And I think I said that because of the merry-go-round ride!”

“But you just told us that the reason why you cried is because you’re feeling somewhat different whenever you see Chanyeol with me. Isn’t that because you’re getting jealous?”

“J..JEALOUS?! WHO?! ME?! WHY WOULD I BE JEALOUS?!”

Haekyung chuckles. “Then why are you fidgeting right now?” She leans in closer and smiled. “You don’t have to be so shy about it Hyosun. We’re your friends and we’re here to help you. We already can tell that you like Chanyeol.”

“I..I don’t! It’s impossible to happen! We’re just childhood friends!” This is bad. The longer I talk, the more fidgety I become. I can feel my cheeks heat up because of it!

“What’s wrong with that? What’s wrong with childhood friends being in love?”

“Oh?”

She’s right. What’s wrong with it? Why am I being so over sensitive whenever it comes to this? Is this why Baekhyun and Chanyeol are being sensitive? Wait, now that I’ve think about it, those words that Chanyeol uttered earlier, I wonder what he is thinking. He uttered my name for almost four times. What’s with that? He even told me that I’m her everything except for one thing.

I’m not his.

“Oh god.”

I immediately got off my seat and went back to the clinic. I opened the door and I saw Baekhyun and Chanyeol talking. This guy really! I need to talk to Chanyeol Baekhyun!

“You broke up with her?”

Huh? I guess Baekhyun told him already.

“Yeah I did. You’re too unfair Yeol I’m hurt.” Baekhyun replied. He’s smiling but at the same time, he’s… crying. Oh no what have I done. I think Baekhyun must’ve been really hurt.

“Baekhyun.”

“It’s too unfair. Why does she always look at you and not me? I thought I’m already there… I thought that I finally have her.. But on a split second, I lose grab of her hand.”

I lose my balance and bumped to the door. The sound of me bumping caught their attention and they were surprised. I have no idea how much Baekhyun must’ve been hurt all these time. I thought they were all jokes. How much hurt has he have felt when I told him that he must’ve been joking?

“H..Hyosun!” Baekhyun exclaimed.

“I..I’m.. I’m so sorry Baekhyun I.. I didn’t.. I’m just… I really am sorry!”

“Hyosun wait!”

I ran away as fast as I could. I couldn’t face him right now. I’m so full of guilt. I didn’t know that I rejected him a couple of times. I didn’t know. Why am I such an idiot now realizing it sooner? Only in situations like this have I finally realized their feelings. Why do I have to hurt them first before realizing it? I want to disappear just for one day. I want to disappear for one day..

“Hyosun!” I was held back. I looked at the person who’s holding my hand right now and I saw Baekhyun. He’s here. He’s standing in front of me and he’s holding my hand. “Geez! How can you just run away from me like that?”

“I..I’m sorry! I can’t look at you right now I’m so so sorry!”

“Stop saying that okay?”

“No! I didn’t know how much you must’ve been hurt all these time! I’ve been saying that all of it was just a joke but you… I’m so sorry!”

“Then can you do something about it?”

Out of all the questions that I have heard these past sixteen years, this one is the hardest, even harder than math and chemistry. Can I do something about it? Can I really do?

“See? You can’t even answer. It’s because you like Chanyeol.”

“No! I don’t like him! Why does everybody keep on telling me that?”

“Trust me you do. You’re just unaware of it.” I’m what? I’m unaware? I like Chanyeol but I’m unaware of it? “Let’s prove it then. What would you do if Chanyeol gets a girlfriend?”

He’s right. What would I do if Chanyeol gets a girlfriend? Do I really like him? Will I react differently if Baekhyun gets a girl…friend? “That’s right. What would I do if you get a girlfriend too?”

 “I think I might have reacted the same if you would get a girlfriend too. Then, does this mean that I like you too?” His eyes widen and he flushed. Just then, I just realized what I have said. THIS. IS. TOO. AWKWARD.

“Y..Yah Ahn Hyosun! How can you just say things like that?!”

“I..I’m sorry it just came out of my mouth!” I covered my mouth and flushed. Why the hell did I just say that?

“What are you two doing?”

“CHANYEOL!” we both exclaimed in unison. He’s back!

“Chan! Are you okay? Are you fine now?” I tried to reach his forehead and tiptoed. He’s way toooo tall for me. He chuckled and holds my hand. My eyes widen. He’s holding my hand..

“Here, I’m fine.” I cleared my throat and hold my hand back. I smiled at him.

“Thank goodness you’re fine now!”

“Yeah, this idiot was crying over nothing earlier. I thought you bumped your head to something.”

“YAH BAEKHYUN!”

Chanyeol smiled and pats our heads. “Thank you really. I’m glad that I have friends like the two of you.”

Friends. I don’t know why but it seemed like that words struck me in the chest. Oh! Now I get it! This is what must be Baekhyun’s been feeling! Now I feel even worse for him…

“Hey, you’re being down again! I told you its okay!” Baekhyun mumbled.

“Can we all talk?” I mumbled. “The two of you.. I think I get why you’re both being sensitive when I talk about us being best friends.”

“Just tell me if I’m misunderstanding anything okay?” I said. “But do you two like me?”

••••••••••••••••••••••

Baekhyun


It came. The day that Chanyeol and I are being afraid of. She realized everything. I looked at Chanyeol and he’s looking at Hyosun seriously right now. What will happen to us right now?

“If I say that I do, will your feelings change?” We both looked at Chanyeol surprised. “You like Baekhyun right?” My eyes widen in surprise. What the hell Chanyeol?! She likes you!

“No.” Ouch, that hurt Hyosun. “I think I’m confused right now. Who I really like that is.”

My heart started to beat fast again. I told myself not get my hope up but my heart is telling me to. “Then should we get our hopes up? Baekhyun and I?”

“Eh?” Hyosun starts to freeze. I want to say something but I can’t. I want to hear what she has to say with Chanyeol’s question. Right now, we’re at the same level in her heart.

“It’s a battle then. Whoever wins gets Hyosun’s heart.” I don’t know why but I smiled and looked at Chanyeol.

“It’s a battle then.”

“EH?!! HOW CAN YOU JUST EASILY SAY THAT HUH?!!”

••••••••••••••••••••••

Hyosun


The three of us walked on our way home together since JIN and Haekyung are assigned for today’s class duties. This is so awkward now that I know that they both like me.

“Heol~ this is why I told you not to ask. See? We’re all acting awkwardly right now!” Baekhyun mumbled.

“But.. But..”

“You can’t blame her Hyun. What will you do if we both confessed to you?”

“Eh Chanyeol that’s a bit…”

“Yeah, can you just use another person but you?!”

Chanyeol smiles. “I miss this sight.”

“You said that on purpose?”

“Yes. I want to us all back to normal and it seems like we are now.” He said then pats both of our head and I smiled. “You both are important to me don’t forget that.”

“Eh, but I know that Hyosun’s more important to you.”

“Hmm.. I can’t deny that.”

I flushed. “How can you say that so easily?!!!” My bus arrives and I sigh in relief. Finally sometime for myself. “That’s my bus~ See you both tomorr-“ Chanyeol held me back and kisses my forehead.

“I made my first move.” He said smiling. I flushed. My heart is starting to beat fast now!

“YAH! I WAS CAUGHT OFF GUARD YOU MORON! THAT’S UNFAIR!” Baekhyun exclaimed.

“Go on Sun.”

I walk to my seat like a frozen penguin. What the hell just happened?! D..Did Chanyeol kiss me at my forehead? Oh god heart please stop! I’m having a hard time breathing right now!! Time seemed to pass because of my panicking, before I know it, I’m at my stop. I got off and took in much air as I could.

“That’s it Hyosun, breathe in, breathe out. Breathe- Urmfff!!” I tried to struggle but somebody grabbed me from behind and covered my mouth. I hold on to his hand but he’s too strong. The scent that he’s letting me inhale is too strong. Before I know it, I out.

••••••••••••••••••••••

I open my eyes and find myself tied up at an abandoned building. I looked outside and it seems to be nighttime already. I tried to shout but my mouth is covered. I looked at the wall in front of me and read the writing in it that was written in bloody red ink.

Ahn Hyosun, is that really your real name? Do you really know yourself?

What was that about? My real name? Of course that is my real name! Mom and Dad gave it to me whoever you are! I heard footsteps and my heart started to pound in fear. A guy enters and catches his breathe. It’s Jongsuk-ssi?! He approaches me and removes the cover in my mouth and untied me.

“Hyosun-ah, are you alright? Are you hurt?! Did he hit you anywhere?”

“Um, no. I’m fine.” He looks worried. Why is he here? “Umm.. How did you know I’m here?”

“W..What?”

“How did you know I was abducted? That,” I said and pointed at the wall. “Do you know about that too?”

His expression changes and clenches his fist. He took my hand and pulled me with him. He’s quite flabbergasted about the writing earlier but then he’s expression really changed. I think he’s mad.

“Heh? So the siblings managed to go out?”

“Siblings?” I mumbled, what is that ahjussi talking about?

“Shut it.” Jungsook-ssi said. I have never seen him like this before.

“Seems like Hyosun-ssi doesn’t know about it. Oh? Wait, is that even your true name?”

“I SAID SHUT UP!” I flinched at Jongsuk-ssi’s voice. What’s going on here? Why is he getting mad? Who’s even this ahjussi and what is he talking about?

“Seems like she wants to know more Jongsuk. Okay, I’ll take care of it. Kids, take care of him for a bit while I talk to Hyosun-ssi.”

“Eh?”

“Hyosun, no matter what don’t let go of me.”

“Ah, yes…” I nod and he holds my hand tightly like he doesn’t want to let go. The men are starting approach me and we stepped back. “Jongsuk-ssi..”

He starts to attack them one by one and now that I saw him fighting, he’s quite good at it. But I think he’s been out-numbered. “Jongsuk-ssi behind you!”

He was caught off guard and fell on the ground. Oh my he’s bleeding! I gasped when I felt someone hold my wrist. It’s the ahjussi. “Don’t worry about him, now I’m going to tell you who you really are.”

“W..What are you talking about?”

“SHUT UP! DON’T TOUCH MY SISTER!”

“S..Sister?” I… What am I hearing right now?

“Eh? You spoiled it all Jongsuk. I was just going to tell Mijoo everything.”

Mijoo? Tell Mijoo everything? “A..Ahjussi, You must’ve been mistaken! I’m Ahn Hyosun! I’m not Lee Mijoo.”

“No, You are Mijoo. You’ve been missing for years and it took me a while to locate where you are. Did you brother not tell you that he’s been a great help for me? He’s been going to your school everyday just to see you.”

“W..What?”

“SHUT THE HELL UP!” Jongsuk-ssi shouted with the men holding him back.

“Perhaps you know right? Jongsuk’s sister had been missing. She’s five years younger than him. Do you get it all now?”

A police siren started to be heard around this place. Ahjussi smirked and gestured to let go of Jongkuk-ssi and they did. They all left without a trace. Jongsuk-ssi walked to me and when I looked at him, his face is full of bruises. He risked his life for me. He went here alone because of me. Because I’m his sister. Because.. I’m Lee Mijoo.