One On One

YOU BET!!!

"However the match goes, promise me that you'll stay, okay?" Chun said to Ella.

Ella just stood there, in front of him, frozen. What he just said really caught her by surprise. Sure, she herself really wants to stay without anyone begging her to stay. But what can she do? When her brother already made up his mind, there is no turning back. There is no way to get away from it. Ella knows very well that if Chun loses this match, she will never able to stay in Farmosa University. She really wants to stay but she just cannot.

"Of course." Ella said, trying to force a smile.

She did not know why she agreed to promise him that, perhaps it was a way of being nice and repay him back. After all, he was dragged into her problem like this. Ella did not know anything else to do to ease all his pressure. So, even the smallest thing like making a promise will just do.

Chun just smiled upon hearing this. He knows that she was not going to be able to fulfill that promise to him, but he needs to hear it. It was like a breath of fresh air for him. He knows that she will leave him if he lost the match but at that time, hearing her saying that she will stay by his side, was the happiest thing for him since Calvin challenged him. He knows that it would not last long though, but he was happy. At least, for a quick moment, he was happy, he was content.

------------------------------------------------------------

Calvin was sitting in his hotel room, thinking. He was tired from practicing basketball in the morning, but he just cannot bring himself for a quick nap. He kept thinking about the challenge. Although it has been more than a week now, he still has not been able to put it out of his head. Even playing basketball, which usually ease his mind, cannot help him this time.

Everything just bottled up in his brain, the challenge, Chun, Ella, Hebe, everything. He was still angry that Chun quit basketball. He can imagine how devastated Hebe will be when she finds out. He just cannot bear to see the person he loves feel into a deep depression. Not again.

He remembered every detail of that painful time. Seeing Hebe cried like that just made him want to kill himself for not being able to cheer her up. He wanted to be by her side, comforting her, but he knew that at the time, he was not the right person to comfort her. So instead, he left the job for his sister and Selina, while he just watched her from a far.

He swore that he would take revenge to the boy who dumped Hebe by the phone just after her mom passed away. And he did. When he heard news about the boy returning to Shanghai, he immediately went to see him and beat the hell out of him. The boy was badly injured and hospitalized after that. Calvin knew that he would deal with the consequences later. He was prepared. And his feelings were true. Not long after, the mother of the boy sued him. He was going to be arrested. Luckily the boy did not press any charges. He thought that he deserved a good beating from Calvin, especially with the way he treated Hebe.

At least now he does not have to worry so much about Hebe being depressed again, since Chun already back on the court. Even though, his way of making him did that was not the best way. Thinking about the challenge he just offered to Chun, he cannot stop thinking about his little sister. Never once in his life did he ever hurt her. But with that challenge and the bet along with it, he knows that he hurt her and will continue to hurt her, badly.

He promised everyone, not just himself, that he will protect her from anything. He will keep her save and keep her happy as long as he can. But now, it was him that going to make her sad and hurt. The guilt is just torturing him. He knows that if Chun lost then Ella's dream will be ruined. And he knows that this will devastate her. But he cannot just back away from his challenge. He also cannot ease up on the match and let Chun win. As much as he loves his sister and Hebe, he still has his pride. He still has his principles and he will stand by it no matter what.

Calvin's deep thought was soon destroyed when he heard someone knocking on his hotel door. He was surprised to hear someone knocking, since he did not order any room service. He went to the door and opened it. He was surprise to see the person standing in the door way.

"May I come in?" asked the guy standing in the door way.

Calvin just nodded and let him in. The guy sits in one of the chairs near the window and then looked at Calvin who is now sitting on the edge of his bed.

"Teacher Mei? What are you doing here? Aren't you supposed to be in Shanghai?" Calvin suddenly asked.

"Can you make me some coffee? I'm a little thirsty." Teacher Mei said to him.

Calvin just nodded and without a word he quickly gets the kettle from the cabinet above the mini fridge. It was his habit of making coffee in the morning, and he also like to drink coffee before he takes a nap, so the kettle is still filled with hot water. It did not take long for him to serve Teacher Mei the coffee he wants. After Teacher Mei got his coffee, he drank it and just stared at Calvin. The room was filled with awkward silence for nearly five minutes, which to them was like an eternity.

"So, what are you doing here?" Calvin asked again while sitting on his original position.

Teacher Mei took another sip from his cup and continued to stare at Calvin. It took him moments later until he finally opened his mouth.

"Guess your dearest little sister haven't told you yet?" Teacher Mei started.

"Told me what?"

"Well, I guess she would have told you but she didn't, because that stupid challenge of yours." Teacher Mei said sarcastically.

"How do you know about that? Ella told you, didn't she?" Calvin is now pissed off.

"She didn't have to tell me. I have my resources." Teacher Mei said. He smiled at Calvin once more and then took a sip of his coffee.

"So... let me ask you again. Teacher Mei, what are you doing here, in Taiwan?" Calvin asked again.

"You know, the two of you are really siblings. Even though your height difference doesn't show it, your attitude clearly does." Teacher Mei . Calvin did not respond and just stare at him.

Teacher Mei kept staring at Calvin with a death glare. The both of them got themselves into a staring contest for the next two minutes. It finally ends when Teacher Mei finally talks.

"I'm the school doctor in her university. You know, your challenge has been the hottest topic around the university."

"You can do that? I mean, being a doctor and an acting teacher?" Calvin asked him.

Teacher Mei relieved a big sigh. He cannot believe that the two siblings have the same way of thinking. They even asked the same question.

"Of course I can. I have my doctor license and then got involved in acting." Teacher Mei explained.

Calvin stared at him for a while,  trying to figure out his motive coming to him.

"You're not going to talk about the challenge I gave Chun, are you?" Calvin suddenly asked.

"Actually, that's exactly why I'm here." Teacher Mei said while smiling at him.

He put his coffee on the table near him and then stared at Calvin. No smiling this time. It was serious business from that point on.

"When I came to you to ask your permission to let your sister sign my contract, I already told you not to mess with it." Teacher Mei said.

"I'm not messing with her or your contract. And FYI, at the time you did not ask permission, you just came to my apartment to accompany her. It was her who did all the talking. And if I remembered it correctly, you just said 'So, do we have your permission? She had already signed the contract, you know?'"

"Well, isn't that asking for your permission?"

"No... She had already signed the contract. Even if I said no, she will still go through with it. I know my sister, okay?"

"Then why did you challenge Chun?" Teacher Mei asked.

Calvin was frozen in placed. His mouth was completely shut. He did not know how to answer this. Why did he challenge Chun anyway? Because he was mad at him? Because he was jealous of him? Because he wants to protect Hebe? No! He cannot say that. Even though he will never ashamed of proclaiming his undying love for Hebe, he still has his pride.

"You do know that if he lost to you than your sister's dream would be ruined, right?" Teacher Mei asked again.

"Oh, come on! Have a little fate in that guy, would you?"

"Do you? Do you have a fate in him?" Teacher Mei asked again. He is on his feet now, staring at Calvin. Calvin was stunned at what just happened. He just looked up at Teacher Mei. His mouth closed, unable to say anything.

"You're willing to sacrifice your sister just for your pride?" Teacher Mei asked while walking towards Calvin.

This question really stabbed Calvin's heart. He knows that he hurt Ella with this challenge but he never realized that it was very heart breaking to hear that from somebody else.

"What do you want me to do? Quit? Let Chun win? I love my sister but I still have my pride and principles." Calvin told him.

Teacher Mei slowly leaned towards Calvin and Calvin retreated back. He kept leaning and Calvin kept retreating. Their position is now awkward. Calvin is now laying on his bed, while Teacher Mei is on top of him, barely touching his body. They are inches away from each other and not for one second did they break eye contact with each other.

"What are you doing?!" Calvin said while pushing Teacher Mei away from him.

Teacher Mei looked at him for a moment and then smiled at him once more.

"Suit yourself. But don't say that I didn't warn you that when everything is done, your beloved sister and that girl you love will hate you, forever."

"What do you mean?"

"You know what I mean. Don't you think that Hebe will be sad to know how you treated her idol? Or how you soulfully destroyed her best friend's dream? Do you still think that your sister will acknowledge you as her brother after what you have done to her?"

Calvin was frozen upon hearing this. It is like lightning struck upon his ears. No, scratch that. It is like a nuclear bomb. Seeing the way how Calvin reacted to what he said, Teacher Mei just smiled playfully at him. He slowly walked to the door, still leaving Calvin frozen on the edge of his bed.

"Oh, one more thing. Don't you think that your love life should just involve you and Hebe? Don't drag your sister into it. She already has a lot of stuff going on in her head." With that Teacher Mei gave Calvin one last smile, he opened the door, and left.

Calvin heard everything he said, every last word of it. He is still frozen because he was shock to realize how hurtful it was when hearing it from other people's mouth. He finally snapped himself when he heard the door closes. He relieved a deep sigh and then lay on his bed. Praying that everything goes fine, however it turns out.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Two weeks had already passed and the day of the big match between Calvin and Chun has now arrived. The basketball court is filled with students, sitting on the side, cheering for Chun. Among them are Ella, Jiro, Aaron, Danson, and their other classmates. Charlene does not forget to come either. And she specially made a HUGE poster just to cheer on Chun. Beside that she also brought a lot of prop. She brought megaphone, banners, pompoms, and even drinks so that the others do not get thirsty after cheering their hearts out for Chun.

Calvin and Chun are warming up on the side of the court. Both of them are nervous, although Chun seems to be more nervous. The coach for the university basketball team is also preparing. Jiro was kind enough to ask the coach to be the referee for the match and the coach was kind enough to accept. He was actually very thrilled when he heard that Chun was going to play and that initially made him agree on Jiro's request.

After everything was set, both players walked to the center of the court. They decided to use only half the court, since using a full court for only two people is a bit tiring, especially since they have to play for forty minutes.

They are ready. Chun and Calvin, face to face with each other. Both their eyes are burning with ambition, neither one of them wants to lose. The coach is ready. He hands out the ball between the two. The atmosphere was intense, even before the game begins. The coach threw the ball up in the air and blew his whistle. Within seconds the two boys jump to catch the ball.

Chun got it and he quickly made an attack. Calvin ran towards him, trying to grab the ball from him. But Chun was determined. He will not let Calvin get his ball, just like he will not let him take Ella away from him. Calvin is standing in front of him, blocking him from shooting. But that does not stop Chun. He was quicker and smarter.

He bounced the ball to his right and Calvin quickly followed. But it was a trick. Before the ball could hit the ground, Chun grabbed it and bounced it to his left side. He quickly ran away from Calvin and did his lay-up. He shoots and the ball goes down to the basket. Two points goes to Chun.

Calvin was a bit stunned by what Chun had done. This trick is not something new in the basketball world, but it still surprise him to see that Chun, who has not been playing basketball for more than a year, is able to do that trick so smoothly. It finally made him realized that he had underestimated Chun's ability.

After ten minutes, the coach ordered them to take a short break, since it is already the end of the first quarter. Both of them walk to their bags on the side of the court. They took their towels and quickly wiped any sweat from their faces. After that they quickly got back on the court and continued the game. Their eyes are upon each other the whole time. There is fire in their eyes. Both of them are determine to win and they seem to be willing to kill the other just to do so. The game was intense, the atmosphere was intense.

Another ten minutes passed and the coach gives them a half-time break. The second quarter had just finished with Chun leading the score 20-14.

Both Chun and Calvin quickly walk to their side and sit down. Charlene, Jiro, and Aaron quickly walk over to Chun. Charlene gives him his drink, while Chun is wiping all his sweat away from his face. Jiro gives him some pep talk, while Aaron was massaging his shoulder.

Calvin on the other hand, only sits by himself, looking at his opponent on the other side and then turns his gaze to his sister who still sitting among the crowd. Ella decided that it would be best for her to not cheer for both of them personally. First, because her brother will absolutely win if she cheers for him and that would cost her to lose the bet. Second, if she cheered for Chun then he would definitely feel even more pressure to win because he will know that if he lost then she will get hurt.

After the five minutes break is over, Calvin and Chun quickly get back on the court. The sun is shining brightly above them. All of them are feeling the heat, not just the players, sweats starts dripping down from their heads. The game starts and it quickly becomes even more intense than before. It is as if their lives depend on it.

They are already in the last quarter. Their whole bodies are soaking with sweat. The heat is killing them, but neither wants to quit. They are going all the way, even if it meant injuries and death in the future, it does not matter.

It is down to the last minute. The score are really close, just difference by two points. Chun believes that he can win this; he knows that he can win this. Chun quickly grabbed the ball and dribbled it to the outside of the 3-point line. He jumped and then shoots. Moments later the coach blew his whistle, ending the intense game.

The game ended 44-42 for Calvin. Everyone gasp their disbelief. Chun had just lost the match.