Happy (?) Birthday

YOU BET!!!

It has been exactly a month since Jerry and Ella broke up. Wait correction. It has been exactly a month since Jerry dumped Ella. They have not contacted each other ever since. Ella had been trying to reach him, but apparently he already changed his number, his email address, everything. He really tried his best so that Ella could not find him.

Ella did not talk to Selina or Hebe about this; she just sent them text messages. It was still too hurtful for her to remember what happened that night. She was lucky that her best friends were very understanding and they did not pressure her to tell them all the details.

For a month now, Ella has been gloomy. No one really understands why, but they assumed that it was because something family related or something related to Hebe. Yeah, everybody in the whole school already realized that Hebe is very important for her and Calvin. That one-on-one match game of Calvin versus Chun really did bring quite a lot of attention towards her and everyone related to her.

A week since that break-up night, Ella has been moping herself. But then she finally stopped crying and being sad. She finally put her act and decided that she will be her old self again. She did it marvelously of course, but only during the day. No one seen her cried of course, they thought that Ella was doing fine. Although they all seemed to figure out that something is not right, they did not bother to ask her. Chun on the other hand, being the only one that with her during the night, knows very well that even though she did go through her break up pretty well, she was still sad.

He saw her silent tears during the nights. He heard her cries over the jerk that dumped her. He heard her screaming the same words over and over again, 'Don't leave me'. It is very painful for him to see her like this and what makes it worse is the fact that he cannot do anything to help her. But the worst part of it all is that Ella still has the ring Jerry gave to her and occasionally holds it tightly in her hand before she goes to bed. It is really painful to see how she still loves the man that broke her heart. It was just plain hurtful and painful. And he is not even the one who goes through all of the drama.

Chun figured that the best way to clear his mind out of thing is by playing basketball, like always. He thought that Ella needed more alone time to calm down and get back to her old self again. And the other thing is, he needed to alter all of his anger somewhere. As for Ella, she only able to sit on her bed or in front of her desk, lost in her own mind.

She already passed the 'furious' stage, so she hardly went to the dojo to release some of her anger. And she already passed the 'crying' stage, so she did not have to spend hours in the shower just to cry. Now, she is in the 'thinking' stage. She kept thinking of what went wrong in their years and years of relationship. The next step is the 'missing' stage, but she will get to that later.

Ella's deep thought suddenly interrupted by the ringing sound that is coming from her cellphone.

"Wei? Lao Po?" Ella answered the phone.

"Jia Hua! How are you?" Selina asked from the other line.

"Good. Fine. Okay la. So why did you call?"

"Aiyo Ella. Are you forgetting something?"

Ella was confused. "Hmmm? I don't think I forget anything."

Selina relieved a deep sigh and then... "HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!" she shouted.

Ella quickly took her phone away from her ear because Selina's voice was going to make her deaf. Now that she thinks of it, today is her birthday. She really got caught up in the whole break up thing that she even forgot her own birthday.

"Ah... Thanks, Lao Po. I miss you and Hebe too." Ella said. She really is grateful that she has her two best friends that care for her even when she does not care about herself.

"Oh, speaking of Hebe. She's here. She wants to say 'Happy Birthday' to you, but can't. She has the flu and has a sore throat. The doctor told her not to speak for a whole week, so she can't exactly come to the phone and greet you." Selina explained.

"Oh, that's alright. Hope she's feeling better. Tell her not to push it and just think about her health. Okay?"

"I don't have to tell her that. You're on speaker you know, so she can hear you."

"Hebe! Are you alright? Take care of yourself, okay? Take a lot of rest, drink a lot of water, don't forget to drink your medicine, and no talking." Ella said.

"Ella, Hebe wrote that you don't need to mother her, Calvin had already done that job perfectly well. She's getting tired of him keep sending her text message whether she already taken her medicine, or ate, and everything else." Selina said while reading the small board Hebe was holding.

"Well, that's good. That way you will immediately feel better."

"Hebe wrote 'Feel better? He's a bit too much la! He actually comes here every time I need to take my medicine. He kept staring at me until I drank them all!'." Selina said to Ella.

"Hahahaha... Well, that's my brother to you. He knows you very well. He knows that you won't be taking those medicines yourself. I bet he also brought some strawberry snacks with you to pass down those medicines, am I right?"

"Wrong! Calvin did not bring anything for her because the doctor did not allow her to eat any of that stuff." Selina said.

"Oh? Then how did she pass down the medicine?" Ella asked.

"I don't know actually." Selina said to Ella. "How did you pass down your medicine?" Selina turned to Hebe.

Hebe only shook her head as an answer.

"Hello? So how did he help you?" Ella asked.

"Jia Hua, Hebe kept shaking her head." Selina said.

"Oh come on Hebs. Just tell us. It won't hurt, you know." Ella said.

"Yeah Be. Just wrote it!" Selina said anxiously.

Hebe then wrote something on her little board.

"Eh, Ella, she's writing something." Selina said.

"Okay, what did she write?" Ella asked.

"Aiyo! What kind of answer is that?" Selina pointed to the board.

"What?" Ella asked confused.

"She wrote 'I'm going to tell you after I'm cured and Calvin's not bothering me anymore'." Selina said.

"Hahahaha! The first condition is alright, but the second one is just impossible." Ella commented.

"Right!" Selina said.

"Well, since you’re not going to tell us, then we can't do anything. So, why are you guys calling me anyway? It's not just so that you can say 'Happy Birthday' to me, is it?" Ella tried to change the topic.

"No, of course not. We want to say that we're sorry."

"Sorry? Why?"

"Well, we can't be there for you during the break up and now it's your birthday, and we still can't be by your side to celebrate."

"Ah... about that. It's okay. No big deal."

"We're really sorry, Elle. We already asked the administration lady for a break but the school won't let us."

"I told you. It's okay. Really."

"Are you sure? We can escape to Taiwan if you want you know. The school is just too much sometimes."

"Ah, don't need to do that. Just stay there in Shanghai and take care of Hebe, okay? She's sick and she needs all the attention, and not just from my brother. Oh, and don't blame the school either, they're just doing their jobs. They really want to discipline us so that we're able to face the obstacles in this business and be successful."

"But, we really miss you, Elle! School just seems so boring without you."

"Nah. It can't be that--"

Ella suddenly cut her words when she heard someone knocking.

"Wait." Ella told Selina and Hebe. "Come in!" she shouted to the door.

Jiro's head suddenly popped into the room.

"Jiro, what's up?" Ella asked.

"E, here's a package for you. I think it's urgent. Oh I almost forget. Today is your birthday, right? Happy Birthday!" he said while offering his hand for a shake.

"Thanks." Ella said while shaking his hand.

"Well, here's the package. I'm leaving then." he said while handing her the package. And with one quick motion, Jiro already left her room.

"Ella! Ella! Are you still there?" Selina asked.

"Yeah. Sorry about that, someone just came in." Ella answered.

"I hope he didn't hear I'm calling your name." Selina said worriedly.

"No. He already left."

"What someone doing in your room anyway?" Selina asked.

"He just dropped off a package for me." Ella said while looking at the package. It is a tick brown envelope, addressed to her, but the sender's name was nowhere to be found.

"Oh, I think it's your birthday present. Go open it!" Selina said.

"Nah. I can open it later. I still want to talk to you two. I really miss you." Ella said, placing the package on her desk.

"Aiyo! We can still talk. Just open it! I want to know who sent you the gift and what is it. Go hurry!"

"Okay. Okay. I'm putting you on speaker, so don't call my name. Call me Ello or Elle or E, okay?"

"Yes, ma'am!" Selina said.

Ella quickly pressed the speaker phone and put it on her desk. She quickly grabbed the envelope and opened it. After looking inside, she finally found the birthday card and opened it.

"So, who is it from?" Selina asked.

"I don't know. The card only said 'Happy Birthday' that's it. There was no sender anywhere, not even in the envelope." Ella said.

"Oh well, never mind that. So what did you get?"

"Wait. I'm pulling it out." Ella said.

She quickly pulled out what is inside the envelope. It was pictures, dozens and dozens of picture, perhaps a little more over a hundred. She looked at the one on the very top carefully and gasped out of shock. She quickly looked at the next picture and the next and the next. She kept going and going.

"Elle? What is it?" Selina asked.

Ella did not hear her. She was completely focused on the pictures in her hand. And then she stopped. One picture shocked her the most. She gasped out of horror and quickly covered so that she did not let out a scream. She kept holding the pictures in her hand and she kept looking at it. Slowly tears started falling and her hands began to tremble. She cannot take it anymore. Her hands become so weak that she accidentally dropped every single photo to the floor. She took a moment to realize what just happened. She got up from her chair and quickly ran to the door.

When she opened it, she was unable to pass because Chun was blocking the whole way. She did not have to look at his face to know that it was Chun. She quickly find a way around him and left. Chun was just stunned by what just happened and confused at the same time. But he swore to himself that he saw a single tear escaped her eye.

Chun did not bother to chase or ask any further. He thought that Ella just needed some more time to calm herself over her break up. He just closed the door and found the pictures laying on the floor. The floor was a mess.

Selina noticed the sound of the closing door from the other line and started to worry.

"Elle? Elle! Are you still there? Answer me, Elle! Don't make me worry. What did you get? Hello? Elle? Hello?" Selina said.

Chun heard Selina's voice and realized that it was coming from Ella's phone. So he picked it up, turned it back to head speaker mode, and then put it on his ear.

"Hello? Who is this?" Chun asked.

"Hello? Who is this?" Selina asked back.

"I asked you first. So you supposed to answer me first."

"Who are you? This is Ello's phone and I'm just on the phone with him. And this is clearly not Ello, so who are you? Quickly, speak! What have you done to him?" Selina said.

"Nothing. Jeez."

"Well, where is he then? And who is this? Answer me!"

"He left the room moments ago. I'm Chun, his roommate."

"He left? What? How can that be?"

"I don't know. Hey, who are you? Why are you asking so many things about him?"

"I'm Selina, his best friend from Shanghai. Excuse me, Chun, but does he brings anything outside, or is there something unusual in your room? He was just opening a package before he left."

"Yeah. There's an empty envelope here and a lot of photos scattered on the floor." Chun explained.

"Photos?"

"Yeah. There's at least a hundred I think." he said while picking up one of the photos. "There's a guy and a girl in there. The guy looks familiar, but I don't know who the girl is." he said while examining the photo.

"Chun, can you send me one of the pictures, please?" Selina begged. Her voice did not show curiosity, but anxiety. She was worried.

"Oh, okay. Wait a minute." he said.

Luckily, Ella's phone is already had advance setting. He quickly took a picture with Ella's phone and sent it to Selina. Moments later Selina received a message containing the picture. She quickly opened it. Both her and Hebe gasped in horror. They were shock to see the people in the photo. They just could not believe their eyes.

In the photo, there was Jerry and Angela, laying on a king size bed, in each other’s arm, . It looked like they were just having and enjoying it for that matter. Both Selina and Hebe can see the satisfied expression on their faces. Both of them just could not believe it. They are angry, they are mad, they are furious. But every other emotion cannot surpass one that they were having right now. Although they are angry, shocked, furious, and surprise, the one thing that is on the top of their heads is that they are worried about Ella.

"Chun! I don't know what you're doing right now, but you have to look for her! I mean him! Look for Ello! Hurry!" Selina shouted.

"What? Why?" Chun asked.

"Don't ask. Just go! She's in danger!" Selina shouted again. She did not care if she messed up the vocabulary; she just wanted to make sure her best friend is safe.

With the word 'she', referring to Ella, and 'danger' in the same sentences, Chun becomes worried. Without further hesitation, he quickly hung up and ran outside their room. He does not know where he is going, all he knows it that he has to make sure that Ella is safe.

Selina and Hebe on the other hand, just looked at each other, worried. When she realized Chun had already hung up, she can only put her phone away and wait for news. Both Selina and Hebe just stared at each other. They did not have to say any word but a decision has just been made.

------------------------------------------------------------

Ella ran and ran as fast as she could. She did not know where she was heading but she knew that all she wanted was to get away from it all, whatever 'it' was. After a long run, Ella finally stopped in front of the school pond. Well, it is not a pond; actually it is a man-made lake. It is not that big, but it is deep enough to the point that no one can see the bottom. The water is clear and it has the perfect shade of blue, reflecting the blue sky.

She kept staring at the pond, doing nothing else. She did not know how to feel anymore. She was hurt. Her heart does not seem to be able to take it anymore. It has already been broken and now when she is about to put all the pieces back together, it was crushed. Her heart is already ruined. It had already turned to dust. She does not know what she supposed to do. She was angry, she was sad, she was hurt, and she was confused.

Her tears could not stop flowing and Ella did not even bother to stop it. She did not bother to wipe it or just even touched her cheeks that are now already wet due to her tears. Instead of holding her cheeks, her right hand moves upward and holds her ring on her neck.

Ella kept holding the ring tightly. She tried to treasure every second of it, even though she was just holding it. She closed her eyes and memories started flashing back right before her eyes.

[FLASHBACK]

---The First Time They Met---

"Mei! Come down here, I have a friend over." Calvin yelled from downstairs.

Ella was still busy with her book. She is not the type of girl that likes to read, but at this point she has to. She has a history test the next day and if she did not pass this, her parents are going to freak.

"I'm busy!" she shouted.

"Come on, mei! Just for a moment! He's a very good friend of mine." Calvin shouted back.

"I think we better not disturb your sister." Jerry said.

"Ah, nonsense. I bet she was just sleeping." Calvin said. "Mei!" he called again.

Ella was still focus on her history book, but her brother's shouting kept distracting her. So she just gave up and went downstairs. A couple of minutes would not hurt her, right?

"What?" Ella said, standing in front of her brother.

"I want to introduce you to someone. This is Jerry Yan, one of my friends. He's my basketball mate." Calvin said.

"Jerry." he said while offering his hand.

"Ella." she said coldly.

"You know, Chen." Jerry said while looking at Calvin. "She really looks like you. Even her hairstyle is similar to you. And she dressed up like a boy; she looks more like your little brother than your little sister."

"Hahaha... I guess you're right." Calvin said.

Ella is on the edge. She is already pissed off because they disturb her while she was studying and now she is even more pissed off because of that comment.

"Are you done?" she asked.

"Hey, don't be mad. I'm just joking." Jerry said. "But really, you really look like a little version of him. Can I call you Xiao Chen instead of Ella?"

"Up to you, I don't care." she said.

"Well then. Nice meeting you, Xiao Chen." Jerry said with a smile on his face.

"If you don't need anything else, I'm heading back to my room." Ella said, turning her direction back towards her room.

"Oh come one, Elle. Play with us for a while. You don't have anything to do anyway. I bet you just go back to your room to finish your nap." Calvin said.

"For your information my dear big brother, I wasn't sleeping. I was studying. And if it weren't for you two, perhaps I already finished. So if you don't mind, I'm going to finish my studying, so that I don't flunk my history test tomorrow. And please do not disturb me for the rest of the day."

And with that Ella left for her room. At that time, she did not care about how Jerry looks or who Jerry was; the only thing in her mind was her history test. Although she had to admit that Jerry was quite easy on the eye. At that time she did not really care about that. She was still young and did not know anything about love, like, or even crushes.

---First Date---

Ella and Jerry were in the public library. They were studying. He was tutoring her for her big math test the few days after.

"So, if x is divided by y, then you can just put the variable of y here. Understand?" Jerry explained.

"Aiyo! How am I supposed to understand this?! It's too hard! Let’s face it, I'm going to flunk on the big test." Ella said while laying her head on the table.

"Come on, Xiao Chen. You can't just give up. Here, I explain more slowly this time." Jerry said.

"Jerry Ge, just stop. I'm tired already. We've been going through the same problem for almost an hour now. Let’s face it. I'm hopeless."

"Don't say that. You just need more time to understand. Come on, let’s review it again." he said.

But this time Ella did not bother to answer back to him. She just laid her head on the table, feeling depressed and hopeless.

"How about I make you a deal? If you able to pass the test, I, Jerry Yan, will be your slave for a whole day." Jerry said.

"Really?" Ella asked in disbelief.

"Really."

"And you will obey my every word?" Ella asked again. She was getting excited.

"Every single one of it, but if you flunk, you'll be my slave instead. How about that?"

"Okay. Deal!" she said while grabbing his hand and shaking it.

And the day of the big test finally arrived. Ella was sure that she was unable to answer most of the question, but to her surprise when the result was handed to her, she did not fail and did quite well.

"Ta Da!" Ella said while showing Jerry, her test result.

"I told you, you can do it. Now come on, let’s celebrate!" Jerry said.

"Eh, wait! Don't you think that I will forget about our deal?" Ella said.

"So close! I thought you forgot already." Jerry said.

"Not a chance." Ella said while letting out an evil smile across her face.

"So what do you want me to do, Your Royal Highness?" Jerry said while bowing to her.

"I want a date!" Ella suddenly said. Jerry was stunned to hear her.

"A-a... da-date?" Jerry stuttered.

"Yup. Hey, don't get the wrong idea, okay? I only asked you this because all of my friends always talk about their dates or their boyfriends. And since I never had any of that, I can never join their conversation. I'm feeling kind of left out. So if I at least have one date, I can join their conversation and not being left out anymore."

"O..."

"Good. Well then. Pick me up tomorrow morning at 10. The date activity is up to you, but it better be fun. Since you said a slave for a whole day, then I want the date end at least until after dinner. Well, I guess that's all. I'm heading home, bye Jerry Ge!" Ella said. Moments later she already left Jerry, stunned by what just happened. But Ella quickly hurried back to his side. "Oh I forgot. Thank you for helping me. Thank you so much." Ella gave him a quick hug and a quick peck on his cheek and then she finally left.

It was Saturday morning. Jerry arrived at Ella's place at exactly 10 a.m just like she told him. Ella was ready for him and as soon as he arrived, they immediately left. It was quite an unusual date. Well, Ella did not know whether it was actually usual or unusual because she never been on a date herself, but based on her friends' stories, then this was not a typical date.

Jerry did not bring her to see a movie or enjoy a day at the amusement park; instead he took her to a basketball court. They played against each other until lunch time came. Jerry did not take her to a fancy restaurant; instead he took her to a nearby food stall. After that they went to the arcade. They were not long there because Jerry quickly took her to a library before she spent all of his money. After the sun set, Jerry took her to stroll around the park. They hold hands and talk, just doing normal couple stuff. Then he bought them some take outs and ate it at the park. After another walk around the park, he took her home.

It was not the most romantic first date, it was not that memorable either. Especially since they both already knew each other and already spent a lot of time together. It was not disappointing, but yet it was not satisfying either. It was unusual, and yet average.

---First Kiss---

After that date, Jerry finally sent her home safely. Ella thanked him again for tutoring her and for taking her to a date.

"Xiao Chen." Jerry called her name before she opened the house door.

Ella quickly turned around and faced Jerry. Moments later, Jerry already landed his lips on hers. Ella was quite surprise by what just happened, but she did not mad about it. Instead pushing him away, she closed her eyes and kissed him back. After eight seconds passed, Jerry pulled away from her and whispered thank you to her.

"Why did you do that?" Ella suddenly asked.

"I'm sorry, I don't know my boundaries. I'm really sorry, Xiao Chen, if I offended you. I'm-" Jerry said.

"I asked you why you did that, I didn't ask you to apologize." Ella said.

"Well, I thought every date usually ends with a kiss, so I kiss you. Are you mad?" Jerry replied.

Ella did not answer. She just smiled at him and gave him a kiss on his right cheek. Before Jerry could say anything, Ella already went inside the house, secretly smiling at what just happened and leaving Jerry stunned with their own actions.

---Confession---

Ella and Jerry were in the library again. He was tutoring her. They were almost finished when Jerry suddenly called her name.

"Xiao Chen." Jerry called.

"Yes?"

"Will you be my girlfriend?" he asked.

Ella was frozen in placed, shocked. She did not expect Jerry to confess to her. Moreover, she did not expect him to confess to her on a library. This is way unexpected and way unromantic.

"Why?" Ella asked back.

"Why? What do you mean why?" Jerry asked. He was confused.

"Well, why do you want me to be your girlfriend? And why should I be your girlfriend?" Ella asked again.

"Well, first because I like you and more than a friend or a friend's sister. And I love you, but not as a sister. I love you as another human being. I really love you. And why can't you be my girlfriend? Don't you feel the same way about me too?"

"What makes you so confident that I feel the same way?" Ella asked.

"Well this."

Jerry suddenly kissed him and too bad for Ella, she cannot resist him. She kissed him back and enjoyed every moment of it. Jerry slowly pulled himself away from her and looked at her straight in the eye.

"Listen Xiao Chen, you don't have to say it, but your eyes and your actions speak louder than your voice. I know you feel the same way too. I can hear your heart just screaming my name. So, will you be my girlfriend?"

Well, just like what Jerry just said about her, Ella did not say a word. She just nodded and then immediately hugged him. She hugged him so tight that he did not have a chance but to hug her tighter.

"Xuxu, I'm really happy that you like me too." Ella whispered to him.

Jerry pulled away from her and looked at her. He was puzzled. "Xuxu?"

"Yeah. It's a nickname for you. You always called me Xiao Chen, so I think it will be fair if I have a nickname for you, right? And since it's very formal to call you Jerry Ge, I call you Xuxu. Do you like it?"

Jerry did not answer and just looked at her.

"If you don't like it, it's okay. I know it sounds childish. I'm just stupid for calling you that. I'm sorry." Ella said. Her whole face was filled with disappointment.

Jerry did not say anything back, but he hugged her instead. He rubbed her head a couple of times and then hugged her tighter.

"I love it. It's not stupid. It's perfect because it came from you and I love it. I really love it." Jerry said with a smile on his face. Jerry might not see this, but on the other side Ella was also smiling herself.

---The Ring---

It was their first year anniversary. Jerry took them to a restaurant to have dinner together. It was not a fancy restaurant, but decent enough and nice enough for them to have a memorable anniversary. After they finished dinner, they went to the park and exchanged gifts.

"Here." Ella said while handed the black square box in her hands to Jerry.

"Thank you. What is it?" Jerry asked.

"Well, you have to open it and see." Ella told him.

Jerry quickly opened the box and inside lay a black wrist watch. It is elegant but manly at the same time. It has three different clock. One is the main clock, the the two others are the date and a stopwatch.

"Thanks, Xiao Chen. I really like it." Jerry smiled at her

"Glad you like it." Ella said while smiling back at him.

Ella used up all of her saving from all her pocket money and from her part time job payment to buy that watch. Even though it took a lot of hard work, but Ella did not care. Seeing how happy Jerry was when she gave him that watch, was enough. His smile was the best gift that he can give her.

"Now for my turn. Close your eyes." Jerry said.

Ella immediately closed her eyes. Jerry took a deep breath and then he took her right hand. He held it tight in his hand and then opened her palm. Moments later he took something from his hand, placed it on her palm, and closed it. Ella immediately opened her eyes to see her gift and realized the ring on her hand.

"I know that this ring maybe does not seem much to you, but this means a lot to me." Jerry said.

"No. It's perfect. I love it. Thank you." Ella said. She smiled at him and held the ring tightly in her hands. She placed her hands on her chest, closed to her heart.

"This ring was given by my grandmother. She gave me that as a protective amulet. She said that it will protect me from any danger at any time. It has been with me since I was a baby, and now I'm giving it to you." Jerry explained.

"Why? This is very precious to you, I can't take it away." Ella said while handing back the ring.

"It was. But now, you are my most precious. I'm giving you this ring as a way of protecting you. I may not be around you all the time, but as long as you have this ring I promise you that you will always be protected. Just like how I was always been protected by my grandmother."

"Oh, Xuxu..." Ella started to tear up.

"Xiao Chen, this is my token of love to you. I love you and I will always protect you as long as I live." Jerry said. Ella did not answer him, she was lost in his eyes.

"Xiao Chen, promise me something." Jerry said. Ella kept looking at him. "Promise me that you will always wear this ring as long as you love me. You can only take it off when you don't love me anymore."

"How can I possible not love you?"

"Just promise me."

"Xuxu..." Ella said while cupping his cheeks with her hands. "As long as I live, I will always love you and that means that I will always wear this ring. This is a token of your love for me and my love for you. This represents our love to each other and I will never take it off. I promise."

Jerry just smiled upon hearing this. He leaned closer to her and kissed her. But their kiss suddenly stopped when they heard some noises coming from the firework display. They retreated back and look at the colorful night sky.

"Beautiful, isn't it?" Jerry asked while placing his hand on her shoulders.

"Very." Ella said.

"Glad you like it." Jerry said.

"You did all this?" Ella asked.

"What do you think?" Jerry asked back with a wink.

Ella just smiled and kissed him.

"I love you." Jerry said to her.

"I love you more." Ella said back.

For the rest of the night they kept watching the firework display while occasionally kissed each other. They enjoyed every second with each other under the beautiful night sky.

[END OF FLASHBACK]

Ella's tears kept falling down from her eyes down to her cheeks. She kept holding the ring that is still dangling on her neck. Ella slowly opened her eyes and realized where she is. She was still on the side of the pond.

Suddenly she ripped the band of her necklace from her neck and held the ring on her palm. She opened her palm and she looked at the ring. She kept staring at it, not with sadness but with anger instead.

"Jerry Yan. I don't love you anymore." she said. She closed her palm again. "JERRY YAN! I HATE YOU!" and then she threw the ring to the pond.

The moment after the ring slipped from her palm, Ella suddenly felt weak. She felt unprotected and cautious again. She was unable to support her own weight and finally knelt to the ground.

"I hate you. I hate you. Xuxu, I hate you." she kept saying it over and over again. Her tears did not stop flowing. Each second that passed only made her cried even harder.

Ella slowly put her hands on top her chest, where her heart is located. She kept crying and crying.

"I can't hate you. Why can't I hate you? I love you, Xuxu. I love you. Why do I love you? Why?" she whispered.

She kept her hands on her chest and just froze in place. Her hands slowly move upward to her neck. Ella suddenly opened her eyes when she realized what she had just done. She kept touching her neck, trying to hold the ring, but it was not there anymore. She looked up and saw the pond right in front of her.

"No! What have I done?" she said.

Ella quickly got up and without any hesitation, she jumped into the deep pond. She did not care about anything else, she only care for the ring. She needs to find it, she has to find it.

------------------------------------------------------------

Chun was frantic. The word 'Ella' and 'danger' did not go well together in the same sentences. This is bad. Chun kept searching the whole school. He went everywhere but Ella was still nowhere to be found.

Suddenly, his heart skipped a beat. He felt goose bumps all over his body. Something is not right. He felt how heart fell from his chest. His whole body became very heavy that he needed to lean onto the wall for support. His mind kept thinking of Ella and only Ella. Not about where she is, but just about her.

Chun quickly gathered his strength back. He ran as fast as he could. He did not know where he was heading. He just went where his feet take him. He kept running and running, and then he stopped. He stopped right on the side of the pond. He saw her. He saw Ella there. He saw Ella, floating in the middle of the pond, lifeless.