Shocking News

YOU BET!!!

When Chun saw Ella's body floating in the middle of the pond, lifeless, his heart broke. No, it was crushed. No, it was ruined. No, there is no exact word that can really explain how he felt. The closest words would be that he felt like his whole life has been taken away from him at that moment. He felt like he wanted to die. He felt weak and hopeless. He felt that his heart has been ripped off from his chest. He just felt awful.

However, even though his heart is just dead right now, his brain is not. His instinct quickly took over. He rushed to the pond and immediately jumped to the water. He did not care if he ruined his shoes or his clothes; all he can think about is saving Ella's life.

He quickly swam towards her and when he finally got to her, he immediately held her body firmly on his arm and swam back to the shore. He quickly placed her on the grass and looked at her carefully.

Ella was pale, very pale to be exact. Chun touched her upper lips to check her breathing and she was not breathing. He tried to find a pulse and there was none on her wrist. Furthermore, when he touched her skin, it was cold. It was as cold as ice. Chun is in panic.

He quickly placed his hands on her chest and used CPR on her. Now he is glad that he paid attention to health class. He leaned down to her face and then gave -to-mouth resuscitation.

"Come on, Elle. Breathe. Breathe!" he said in between breaths.

He kept doing the CPR and the mouth-to-mouth resuscitation, but nothing seems to make any difference. But that did not stop him. He kept doing it over and over again.

"Ella, please. Please wake up. Please." he said to her.

He did not care about her identity anymore. All he cares about is to know that she is safe and alive. He kept doing the same thing for almost fifteen minutes but nothing changed. He was almost in tears, but he managed to hold it back so that he can focus on saving her, not on wiping his tears away.

"Ella, please. Please... Wake up, Elle! Wake up! Ella!" he shouted.

After another push on her chest, she finally coughed the water in her lungs. Chun cannot believe it himself, but he finally managed to save her. Ella slowly opened her eyes and looked up. Everything was a blur. She can see someone is watching her, but she cannot figure out who that person is. She kept looking at the big dark eyes watching over her. She did not blink. She tried to focus her sight but it was no use. Slowly she reached for the man's cheek and caressed it ever so gently. All she can remember is Jerry and no one else. And she was certain that the man in front of her was Jerry. She finally opened and called his name.

"Chun..." she said instead.

Chun was somewhat stunned and yet surprisingly happy to hear her say his name. He was glad that she was able to recognize him even in her condition. But Ella was not doing better. She slowly lowered her hand and closed her eyes.

"Elle? Elle! Ella!" he shouted, hoping she would wake up. But he was too late. Ella is already unconscious.

------------------------------------------------------------

It has been three days since Ella got drown, the truth is nothing seems to get better. Every day was as gloomy as the day before. It was hard on everyone, not just Chun. It was very shocking to all of them to hear what happened to Ella. They just simply cannot believe their ears. Ella was a big part of Farmosa University. Even though it has only been a little over a year since she transferred there, but she changes a lot of thing in Farmosa University.

Ella changed Chun from a cold person to a warmer person. Because of Ella, Chun was able to gain his passion in basketball again and got his back on the basketball court. Not only that, since Ella came to Farmosa University, Chun became livelier. He tends to laugh and smile even more than before, and he is more open to engage in conversation with other students.

It was not only Chun that experienced changes since Ella came to Taiwan. Jiro and Aaron also experience good changes in their lives. Jiro is now able to let go of his past with Han. Even though he still cannot fully let go, but he is learning to let go, slowly. All those time of Ella spending time with him to the cemetery really help a lot. Aaron becomes even more mature now ever since he learned about Ella and her friends tragic and bitter pasts.

Everyone is changed, even the famous playboy Danson changed. Even though it was not a big change, he finally opens up more to the guys and not just the girls. He was friendlier towards other guys and not-so-pretty girls. He even help their friends got dates and/or girlfriends. He gave them tips on how to handle girls and even set them up on blind dates.

Yes, Ella really does change everyone for the better. But ever since that drowning accident, it was not the same. The whole dorm, if not the whole campus is different. Teacher Mei became lonely because now there is no one barging to his office asking for help anymore.

Everything is different now, just different.

------------------------------------------------------------

Selina is waiting anxiously in the living room of dorm 1. She is in Farmosa University now. The moment she received the photo from Chun, she and Hebe immediately made a decision to rush to Taiwan. However, the school only allowed her to go, so now she is here in Taipei, while Hebe is still stuck in Shanghai, dealing with all the school stuff there.

After standing in front of the building for more than ten minutes, without anyone greeted her, she finally took a bold action and just went inside the dorm. She did not care that it was the boys' dorm. All she cares about is her best friend and the man who supposedly saved her. She has been taping her leg and her fingers for more than twenty minutes. Waiting is certainly not her best interest. Usually people wait for her, not the other way around.

She is really pissed off now. She quickly stood up from her seat. She did not care about the rules. If she had to knock and barge every room in the dormitory just to find the person she was looking for, then so be it.

She was about to walk into the hallway when someone stopped her.

"Excuse me, miss, but what are you doing here? You do know that this is an all boys' dormitory, right?" a guy asked her.

"I know that. I'm looking for Ello's roommate, if I'm not mistaken his name is Chun." Selina answered.

"Well, Chun is feeling a bit under the weather lately. Do you want me to pass your message?" he asked.

"No need. I need to see him. It's urgent." Selina answered again. She is anxious and she does not bother to hide it.

Suddenly, there was awkward silence. They both just looked at each other.

The guy relieved a deep sigh and finally broke the silence. "I know I'm going to get in trouble for this." he mumbled.

"I'm Jiro, Chun's best friend. I can take you to him if you want." Jiro said while offering his right hand for a handshake.

"Thank you. I really appreciate it. I'm Selina. I'm Ello's best friend." Selina said while shaking his hand.

"Nice to meet you. Come on. His room is just down the hallway." Jiro said while leading the way.

After a few minutes, they finally stopped in front of a door. The number on the door indicates the room number. Room 116. Jiro quickly knocked and opened the door slightly. He pushed his head into the space between the wall and the door, and he saw Chun, sitting on his chair. His eyes are glued to the computer screen.

"Chun." Jiro called.

Apparently, Chun had not noticed that someone was knocking on his door. So he was quite startled when he heard someone calling his name. He quickly turned his head and found Jiro's head popping through the door.

"What?" Chun asked.

"You got a visitor, a girl. She's Ello's friend." Jiro said with low voice. He looked at the bed across Chun's and sighed.

Upon hearing what Jiro said, Chun quickly got up from his chair and walked to the door. He opened the door to get out from his room. He thought his visitor was waiting in the living room, but to his surprise, his visitor was actually standing in front of him, with her arms crossed in front of her chest and her right foot tapping the floor.

"Jiro, thank you. You can leave us." Chun said.

"Oh. Okay." Jiro said. But before he can make a single step, Selina stopped him.

"Jiro, thank you again." Selina said sincerely.

"Oh, no problem. I'll be going then." Jiro said. And then he left the both of them.

Chun did not invite Selina to come to his room so the both of them just stand there, in the door way, staring at each other.

"You must be Chun." Selina said, finally breaking the silence.

"Yes. And you are...?" Chun asked.

"I'm Selina, Ello's best friend. I'm the one that you're on the phone with. Can I come in?" Selina said.

Chun let out a sigh and finally let Selina in. Selina let out a smile to him. The moment she stepped into the room, she turned her head to the left and saw Ella's bed. There lays Ella, curdled up in her arms, under her bed cover. She looked very lifeless. She just lay there, like she was dead. She does not seem to notice her surroundings. She does not even notice Selina coming.

"Jia Hua..." Selina whispered.

Selina mentally slapped herself for letting out Ella's Chinese name. She quietly took a glimpse of Chun, just to make sure that he did not hear it. Luckily for Selina, Chun acted as if he heard nothing, but in fact he did hear 'Jia Hua' coming from Selina's mouth.

'So her name is Ella Chen Jia Hua.' he thought.

"He's been like this since the day you called. I think it was three days ago, right? I already told the teachers that he's not feeling well. I already told him to go to the clinic, but he refused and only wanted to stay in bed. So I have no choice but let him." Chun started.

"It's been three days. And he's been like this the whole time? This is bad." Selina said while shaking her head.

"Yeah. It even starts to take a toll on all of us here." Chun said.

"Chun, can you please leave us alone for a while? I want to talk to him privately." Selina said while staring straight into Chun's eyes.

Chun was reluctant to do so, but seeing the determination in Selina's eyes, he just simply cannot refuse. It was for Ella's sake.

Chun just nodded a little, giving her a sign that it was okay. "I'll wait outside." he said. And with that he left. Of course, he did not left completely. Yes, he said that he gave them some time to talk privately, but that does not mean that he will leave them alone. After the door behind him is closed, Chun quickly pressed his ear against the door, trying to listen to every bit of their conversation.

Selina on the other hand, seeing that Chun had already left, finally felt that there is no need to pretend. Selina slowly walked to Ella's bed. She was quite surprised to see no movement from her. She lays perfectly still. This was not like her. She was always cautious and even the slightest movement of something in the room can make her noticed it. This is way out of hand. Ella is now so depressed to the point that she let her guard down. She is now completely off guard.

Selina finally reached Ella's bed and sat on the edge, still no movement from Ella. Selina looked at her closely and she can see the dry tears on her cheeks. She has been crying hard these past few days. She must have been facing the wall the whole time so that Chun did not notice it. Selina slowly puts her hand on Ella's head and starts to caress her hair.

"Jia Hua. It's me, Selina." she said.

When Ella heard her Chinese name being called, she immediately noticed that it was either Hebe or Selina that came. Ella quickly turned around and saw Selina, watching over her. Selina can see all the pain and sadness in Ella's eyes. Her hunch that Ella's been crying is true. Ella's eyes are so puffy and red that it is impossible for people not to think that she has been crying.

Ella immediately hugged Selina and cried. Selina cannot do anything else but to hug her. She hugs her ever so tightly, as if someone was going to take her away. She slowly brushed Ella's soft dark hair with her fingers. When she lifted her fingers up, she can see strains of hair there. Selina was quite shock to see this. Ella has the healthiest hair among the three of them and she never, not once, had lost a single strain. Seeing Ella's hair on her fingers made her realized how serious the matter is.

"Lao Po!" Ella said between her cries.

"Just cry all you want, okay?" Selina said while kept hugging her.

"Why did he do that to me? Am I not good enough for him? Why did he cheat on me? Why did he cheat on me with her? Why? Why?" Ella said while sobbing.

"I don't know sweetheart. But he doesn't deserve you. You deserve someone better than him. Someone A LOT better. If he wants to waste all his youth and life for that evil witch then so be it. It was his lost for letting you go. You are better than her, Ella. A thousand times better. No, a thousand is way too small if compare to you. You are a million, billion, trillion, gazillion times better than that !" Selina said.

"If he wanted to look for another woman, why did he choose her? Why not someone else? Why it has to be Angela? Why?" Ella cried.

"Shhh... Don't say that She-devil here. She did not deserve to be called by her name after what she has done to you. Your mouth is way too pure to call her name."

Ella kept crying and crying. It was endless tears. She had never cried this hard before.

"I lost it, Selina. I lost the ring he gave to me. I lost the ring Xuxu gave me. I already promised him that I will always wear it as long as I love him and now I lost it. Now nobody will protect me. He will never protect me because I lost the ring. I lost our token of love for each other. I lost it." Ella said.

"Hush, now. Jerry doesn't deserve your love. He doesn't deserve to be called Xuxu by you. He should be called bastard or jerk or devil himself. He already hurt you, Ella. He hurt you. Why do you still love him? He doesn't deserve to be love by such wonderful girl like you." Selina said trying to calm her down.

"I don't know. I just know that I still love him. We've been through a lot. Why did he do this to me? Do I mean nothing to him? Does our relationship mean nothing for him? Why? Why can't he love me like how I love him? I love him. I love him so much that I wanted to die when he dumped me."

Chun cannot help himself from being angry. He balled his hand into a fist and ready to punch someone or something, anything. Fortunately for him, he was able to restrain his desire to release his anger. He just cannot believe what he was hearing. After all she has been through, Ella still love that bastard who dumped her. How can she? She has been hurt over and over again, and she still loves him? This is just absurd for him. But it is not absurd for Ella. When you are in love, some things just cannot be explained. It maybe sounds absurd to other people, but that is love for her.

For the next thirty minutes or so, the three of them kept doing the same thing. Ella kept crying, weeping, sobbing, and questioning everything that happened to her. Selina kept trying to calm her down by answering all her questions and encouraging her. While Chun, well, he kept trying to restrain all his desire to punch someone due to the rage within him. After more than thirty minutes, if not an hour, they really do not know how long it has been, Ella finally fell asleep because she had drained out all that is left of her strength by crying. She rested her head on Selina's lap and slept there, like a baby, a very weak and helpless baby.

Selina cannot help but to feel sorry for her best friend. She already told her before she went to sleep that Jerry has been close to Angela ever since Ella moved to Taiwan. But both Hebe and herself never thought that Jerry and Angela are romantically involved with each other. They both knew Jerry's character very well, at least that what they thought of him. At that time they knew that Jerry and Angela were close because they had the same dorm number. Angela was from dorm 2 of the girls' dormitory and Jerry was in dorm 2 of the boys' dormitory. Whenever their school held out events, boys and girls from the same dorm number usually work together on the same project, which basically allows them to be close to each other. Selina and Hebe always thought of their close relationship as a kind of brother-sister relationship. They never thought that Jerry would cheat on Ella. They have been through thick and thin together. And most of the time, it was Ella who wanted to let him go because she did not want to drag him into her problem, but Jerry never willingly let her go. He always convinced her that he loved her and wanted to be with her through everything. Both Selina and Hebe also never thought that Angela would do this kind of thing for revenge. This is just plain low, very low, even for her.

There have been times when both Selina and Hebe thought that Jerry and Angela were getting a bit too close. They wanted to warn him, but then decided not to because even though they were going to do that for Ella's sake and happiness, they did not exactly have the authority to do so. It was just unethical for them to warn him about his closeness to Angela. They were nobody to him. And now, thinking back about those times, Selina really regrets that she did not prevent Jerry from cheating on Ella or at least tell Ella what really happened behind her back. But the truth is, both her and Hebe did not believed that Jerry was cheating on her, where not at least until they saw the picture. So everyone, not just Ella, was caught completely off guard regarding this matter.

Watching Ella sleeping peacefully on her laps really makes Selina realized that how strong and yet how weak her best friend can be. Ella is always the strong one in their group. Even though she grew up as the only daughter and the youngest in her family that did not make her a spoil brat, she was the exact opposite of it. She was strong, independent, loyal, and humble. After knowing her years and years now, she sometimes forgets that Ella has a softer side of her personality that not many people able to witness. Yes she is strong, but she is also the most vulnerable. When something hits her, like this time, she will be weak. Even weaker than Hebe or herself and at this time of need that Hebe and Selina had to be strong for her, just like how she was able to be strong for the both of them.

Caressing Ella's hair and face slowly, Selina did not realize that tears have started to fall from her eyes. She finally realized that she has been secretly crying when she saw one of her tear landed on Ella's cheek. She quickly wiped it off and continued to stare at her best friend. After assuring that Ella is already in deep slumber, she slowly held Ella's head and moves it to her bed. She placed her head on the pillow and then placed her on the bed. She slowly covered her with her bed cover and stared back at her.

"Be strong, Jia Hua." Selina whispered to her.

After giving Ella a final look, Selina slowly walked away and got out of the room. She was not surprise to see Chun leaning against the wall across the room. She slowly closed the door behind her and looked at Chun. Chun noticed the dried tears on Selina's cheeks, but he decided not to mention it.

"He's asleep now. Please try not to wake him up when you enter your room. I'll be going now." Selina said.

"I walk you out." Chun said.

Chun led the way to the main entrance. They were silence along the way. When they finally got to the living room, which is actually the first room when visitors came through the main and only entrance of the dorm building, they were surprised to see Jiro sitting in front of the TV.

"Jiro? What are you doing here?" Chun asked.

"I was bored, so I watch TV. But it's not that interesting. So, are you going home?" Jiro answered. He now turns his gaze to Selina.

Selina nodded. "I'll be in Taipei all week. If it's okay with you, I want to come here every day until I leave. Perhaps I can visit Ello during the morning, when you're in class, so I don't disturb you." Selina said.

"Yeah. It's alright with me." Chun said.

"I also want to thank you for taking care of Ello while he is here. He really means a lot to me and everyone else in Shanghai. Oh, and also thank you to you too Jiro. I heard a lot of you from Ello. He's really grateful to have such good friends like you guys." Selina said.

Jiro did not know why, but he actually blushed when Selina thanked him. "Nah... It's alright. E is a very good friend to us." Jiro said.

"Yeah. We are also grateful to have him." Chun added.

Selina smiled at them for a moment, but then her expression suddenly changed. She seems to be troubled. "Listen, can I ask another favor from you guys?" she asked.

"Yeah, sure." Chun and Jiro said together.

"Can you please accompany him whenever I'm not around? Try talking to him. He really needs the company. He really needs to be back to his old self again." Selina said.

"Why do you say that? What are you trying to say?" Chun asked suspiciously.

"Listen, Ello has a depression history. If he is not back to his old self within a week, I'm afraid that he might fall into depression again."

"Depression?" they both asked in disbelief.

"This is not something that he is proud of, but seeing that you guys are concern about him and also knowing that you both are his good friend, I thought the both of you had the right to know." Selina said. She let out a sigh and continued. "When his mother died, Ello fell into depression. We thought he will be fine, but it got worse. I don't want him to endure the same pain as he was years ago, so we have to get him back on track. If within a week he still unable to regain his old self back, I'm afraid that he might fall into depression."

"Are you serious? Is it that bad?" Jiro asked. It is hard for him to believe that the bubbly and strong Ella can fall into depression.

"Yes, and if within a week he was not back to his natural self again, I will take him with me to Shanghai."

"What? You can't do that!" Chun said.

"Why not? Listen, I know this is not the best decision. I know he is determined to stay here, but with his condition we just can't let him. If he's not back to himself anytime soon I have to take him back. I know he'll be sad but this is for his own good. I don't think he can handle another depression. It's just too painful for him."

"But you can't just take him away without his permission. It is his life." Chun said again.

"It is absolutely because it is his life that we are very concern about him! For your information, he nearly died when he suffered from depression. And it wasn't just once. He almost died three times! What if he goes through to depression again and can't make it? Huh? What will you do? Will you be responsible for his death?"

Everybody was quite for a while. The story of Hebe committing suicide once is already nerve wrecking. Now, hearing Ella almost died three times already because of depression is just plain insane.

"Three times?" Jiro finally broke the silence.

"Yes. The first time he cut his own wrist. The second time he drank all the medication and sleeping pills the doctor gave him all at once. And the last one..." Selina took a deep breath. "The last one, I don't know whether he really intended to do so, but he said it was an accident. He lost focus and crossed the street without looking both ways. He said he saw his mother calling him. He got into a car accident and his heart stopped for five minutes. He was actually dead for five minutes." Selina said. Tears started falling from her eyes.

The three of them are quite. Chun and Jiro were trying to digest everything that Selina told them. Chun just cannot believe his ears. Seeing Ella floating in the middle of the pond was heartbreaking enough, and to hear that her best friend has to endure it three times, it was just unbelievable. Even he himself is unable to imagine the pain Selina and Ella's beloved ones had to go through. Perhaps he would already kill himself if he were in their position.

"Why can't you just let him stay? We have good doctors here." Chun finally said.

"No. The doctor that handled him is in Shanghai. It will be easier if he is the one that handles him now. He already knows how his body and mind works, so it will be easier to decide the best medication for him. Beside he will have everyone close to him; me, Hebe, Calvin, GuiGui, everyone."

"But-"

"Chun, tell me. The day I was on phone with you, what really happened afterwards? You never told me." Selina changed the topic. She was not in the mood to get into an argument.

"He..." Chun swallowed hard. "He got drown."

"You see. What if the next time you're not around to rescue him? What if he did something that risk his life and he didn't make it? I'm not going to risk that, Chun. We're not going to risk that."

"No! You can't take him away. You don't have the right." Chun said. He is not going to let anyone, even Selina, takes Ella away from his side. He loves her, he needs her by his side. He needs her.

"I don't care about your opinion. I only care about Ello's life and safety. I already discuss this with everyone else in Shanghai and everyone already agreed with this; Hebe, Calvin, his parents, his uncle, his doctor, everyone. So the decision is already final. If within a week Ello's not back to his old self, I'm taking him home to Shanghai, whether you like it or not."