Valentine's Day

YOU BET!!!

It has been month since Hebe visited Ella. Hebe had already back from England and already resumed her position as co-supervisor along with Selina. Ella was quite impressed to hear her English over the phone. She really improved, a lot. And she rubbed her new skill on everyone's faces by using English words on her songs or wrote songs in full English, although they are not as good as her song written in Mandarin, but it still good nonetheless.

According to Hebe, Calvin still followed her to England. Ella did not know how did he get there or how he was able accommodate himself, but he was able to stay there, without getting into a lot of trouble. Lucky for Hebe, Calvin decided to shorten his stay, from a month to just a week. Hebe said this was because he thought that England or at least the neighborhood where Hebe lived is peaceful enough and safe enough, so he did not have to worry about her.

It is Valentine's Day tomorrow, the day all girls have been waiting for and apparently guys too. She never really realized this until she got to Farmosa University. It is usual for her and the other girls in the entire world to be excited for Valentine's Day, since it is the day for girls to confess their loves towards their love ones without being overly cheesy or embarrass or being afraid that the guy might turn them down harshly. Well, the last part does not really apply to everyone, but it does apply to Ella, and in more than one occasion.

It was years ago, Ella can barely remember it but when she does remember, this memory really makes her chuckle. Especially, remembering how silly she was back then. At the time, Ella has a crush on her junior. It is odd for a girl to actually chase guys that younger that her, but Ella was still innocent at that time, she barely knew anything about love, so she let this one slide.

It was a day before Valentine's Day. She, along with Hebe and Selina were busy making chocolate. Hebe and Selina made chocolate for their family members, since they did not have any crushes at the time. Ella on the other hand, made chocolate just for the boy she liked. Since she does not remember the boy's name now, it would be best in the following story that we referred him as Chip.

Well, let’s continue. Ella, being the worse cook ever, finally able to make chocolate candies for Chip, with A LOT of help from Hebe and Selina of course. Ella did not bother to make chocolates for Calvin since he hates sweets and she did not make chocolates for her other family members because they were all out of town or out of the country. The chocolates turned out decent. It was not great but edible. And besides, with a little packaging, it was as good as the chocolate they sale in stores.

Just like any other girl confessing their loves, Ella was shy too. But she managed to summon up her courage and finally confessed her 'love' towards Chip. However, everything did not go as planned. Chip rejected her, saying that he did not date someone older than him. It was heart breaking of course, but just like the other Chen family members, Ella has her pride. She did not cry or upset upon hearing this, instead she joked about it, saying that she was just messing with him and that the chocolate was a token of their friendship.

Similar things happened for the next few years and either Ella said that it was just a token of friendship or just a way of saying thank you or just a gesture of politeness. And frankly enough, every boy believed this excuse, they did not even feel bad for rejecting her and instead they actually became good friends with her. Odd, right? Well, that's Ella.

 

Back to Farmosa University, it is the day before Valentine's Day. It turned out that not only girls anticipating for that day, boys do too. Why? Because they really wants to have girlfriends. If the girl confessed first, it would be easy target for them because it is a sure fact that they will end up together as long as the boy agree. So it is less pressure for the boys. However, words around campus is that every, well not every, but most of the girls will only come to their campus to confess their love to Danson. So the other guys will end up dateless, while Danson enjoys everyday with at least a date from each girl.

And so, the day they've all been waiting for has finally arrived. It is Valentine's Day. Just like everyone suspected, many girls from around the area come to give their chocolates to the person they love, or at least the person they had a crush on. Although, most of them did give their presents to Danson instead of anyone else, but there are still girls that gave presents and chocolates to the other boys. It was great seeing this actually, many girls confessing, many guys end up with either a date or a girlfriend. Well, in Danson's case dates or girlfriends. And if things do not work out they can all just laugh it out. The down thing about this though, well in Ella's point of view at least, was the fact that she cannot spend this year Valentine's Day with Jerry, her boyfriend.

 

She misses the romantic dinners they had together. Their eyes just locked to each other. It was as if time stood still for them and no one else matters. They were in their own world. One date that was very memorable, other than the one when she celebrated her birthday, was on Valentine's Day last year.

The day before Valentine's Day last year, Jerry and Ella agreed to not give each other presents, especially since they both were very busy with their school projects. However, the next morning, Jerry came to her dorm building, and with all the sound system that he brought, wake up the sleepy Ella. She was surprised and immediately went over to him to shut him up. Especially since the whole dorm was basically waken up by all the noise he made. But the surprise did not stop there. Jerry took Ella to the school park and there they enjoyed a lovely breakfast picnic together. It was all so romantic that everybody in her dorm was jealous of her.

Ella is happily reminiscing all of her sweet Valentine's Day memories, while looking at all the girls that come and confess their love. Suddenly her sweet thoughts were stopped when someone patted her shoulder. Ella quickly turned around and was surprised to see an unknown girl in front of her.

"Hmmm... Hi! I'm Ying Ying. I know that you maybe don't me but I really like you. I hope we can know each other better. Will you accept me?" said the girl while handing her a box of chocolate.

Ella was completely shocked upon hearing this. She did not know how she should feel. Confused? Surprised? Happy? Sad? Guilty? Everything just bottled up in her mind. Yes, she is happy that her disguise is working very well to the point that even a girl cannot recognized her, but she is in some way guilty because the girl fell in love with the wrong person.

Everyone started looking at them. Most of the guys are chanting, shouting her name, telling her to accept the girl as her girlfriend. Man! This sentence did not come up right. Just look at it, her girlfriend. Isn't that weird?

Ella or Ello in this case, were just stunned. She cannot think straight, everybody keep shouting her name; encourage her to quickly answer the girl. Rejecting a guy is easy, but rejecting a girl? This is just plain hard. She knows how it feels to be rejected. The aching heart, the shame, everything. But even if she wanted to accept the girl, it just not right! She is a girl for Pete's sake. She cannot date another girl. She is not lesbian. Besides, she is already in a committed relationship. What will her boyfriend say when he finds out that she started a relationship with another girl?

"Hmmm... Sorry, but I'm already in a relationship with someone." Ella said while handing back the chocolates. She tried to be as gentle as possible towards the girl. Being rejected is already hard enough, especially by a girl, so Ella really tried her best to make it as painless as possible.

"Oh, sorry. I didn't know." the girl said.

Her face turned cherry red. Ella knows she was embarrassed of her silliness, but what can she do? She is telling the truth. From all sorts of direction many guys shouted their disbelief about Ella being in a relationship. Well, it was highly unlikely since they never saw her with any other girl, other than Hebe. But she made it very clear that Hebe was her brother's crush, so everyone thought that she never encounter any experience with another girl. Well, none that they know of course.

"It's okay. I'm sorry too." Ella replied to her.

"Hmmm... Here take the chocolates. There's my cellphone number there, you can contact me if you want. We can be friends. Bye!" the girl quickly handed the chocolate and left.

Ella just stood silently, still in shock of what just happened. She still holding the chocolates the girl gave her. She kept looking at it. She feels very very guilty. She just broke a girl’s heart and she knows exactly how that feels. Everything was happening so fast that she did not know what to do to ease the girl's pain.

"It's too bad that you rejected her, E. She seems nice." Jiro said while wrapping one arms around her shoulders.

"Well, I think she deserves someone better than me." Ella said. Well, this is true. A girl deserves a boy in her life, not another girl.

Jiro was stunned to hear what Ella said. It is normal if someone said it to the person he loves dearly, but Ella just met the girl and she said that she is not good enough for her? She is way too nice that it creeps Jiro out.

"Jiro Ge!" someone shouted.

A girl with dark hair ran towards them. She was cute, especially with her hair pulled back making a bun on top of her head.

"Hi!" Jiro said. He was excited, Ella could tell.

"Here." said the girl while handing a cookie box.

"Thanks." Jiro said. He was smiling to her.

"Oh, hello." said the girl when she noticed Ella.

"Hi!" Ella said politely.

"Wu Xiong, this is Ello Chen. He transferred here few months ago." Jiro introduced them. Ella just smiled and waved at her.

"Hi! I'm Cai Yi Zhen, but everybody called me Wu Xiong. Nice to meet you." Wu Xiong offered her hand and Ella gladly shook it. Moments later they both retreated. "Well, Jiro Ge, I'll be going now." And with that, she left.

Jiro just smiled upon seeing the girl left them. And then he looked at the cookie box in his hand. He smiled but he also looked sad. It was weird. How can someone that was smiling be sad?

"I didn't know you had a girlfriend." Ella commented.

"She's not my girlfriend." Jiro responded.

"Oh?" Ella was confused. Well, they both sure look like a couple, especially with the way she is treating him, giving him present on Valentine's Day and him smiling to her and the present. It looks like he was in love. In fact, he is in love.

"She's my girlfriend's little sister." Jiro added.

"Why doesn't your girlfriend give it to yourself?" Ella asked while pointing at the cookie box in Jiro's hands.

Jiro relieved a deep sigh and then looked at the sky. It was very sunny that day. Then he turned his gaze to the cookie box in his hands. "Because she is too far away to give it to me personally, so she asked her sister to do it." Jiro said.

Ella did not comment more and only let out an 'O...' from . She did not know why but she felt that Jiro was not himself that day. Well, not after Wu Xiong came at least. However, she cannot figure what made him feels so different all of the sudden. It was weird, very weird.

"E, I need to go now. Bye!" Jiro quickly left.

Seeing that there was no point on standing in front of the main building, just watching girls confess their love and either get rejected or accepted, Ella finally decided to go to the dojo. It was the next best thing she had here, since she never knew where the auditorium was. Apparently not many boys like performing, so they never once mentioned the auditorium towards her. Heck, Ella even believed that they did not know what an auditorium was.

"Ello!" someone shouted her name.

"Hi! Ah Sa! It's been a while." Ella said to her.

"Yeah. Nice to see you again." she said.

"So, are you here to see Chun?" Ella asked. She did not have to ask this actually, since the answer is absolutely obvious. And sure enough, Charlene just nodded vigorously as an answer.

"Here." She said while handing over a box of chocolate to Ella. Ella took this by surprise. "A friendship chocolate. Thank you for what you've done to Chun."

"Me? I didn't do anything." Ella said. Well, this is in some way true because it was all her brother's fault.

"No. You changed him. He's back on the court again now and he is happy to be back. He maybe doesn't show it, but he is. And I'm thankful for that." Charlene said.

"Oh. Okay." Ella said. It is useless to argue with Charlene, so it is better to just accept everything she said.

"Please take care of Chun." Charlene added.

"What do you mean? You're the one who loves him, so you are the best person to take care of him." Ella said.

"He doesn't love me. It's better for you to take care of him. You're much closer to him. I don't think he will able to open up to me, so it's better for me to just back away."

"So you decided not to cheer for Chun anymore?" Ella asked. The way Charlene said everything is just too weird that she had to ask.

"No, I'm still cheering for him, just from a far. You on the other hand, are close to him, physically and mentally." At this moment, Ella begins to think about Chun's cold attitude towards her. "You maybe didn't realize this, but he cares for you. He really does. He just doesn't show it." Ella just nodded. She does not really understand what Charlene said, but she just plays along. "So I hope you can cheer for him because I'm giving my title as his number one fan to you."

Ella was frozen in place. Her eyes went wide. Her? Chun's number one fan? She does not deserve that. Many girls are a better fan than her. She is not a fan, she is his friends. If any person can be given the title of Chun's number one fan beside Charlene; that will be Hebe.

"But-" Charlene cut her off.

"Please. Just accept it okay?" Ella was reluctant to do so, but she finally gave in and nodded. "Good. Now, do you see Chun anywhere?" Charlene asked.

"No. I haven't seen him since class ended. He just disappeared to thin air." Ella said. Well, this is true. Ever since Jerry's visit, Chun became cold towards her. He never walked back to the dorm with her; even sometimes they walked to the main building separately. It just odd, but what can she do?

"Oh, okay then. I'll better go find him. Bye!" Charlene said.

After Charlene left, Ella continued her walk to the dojo. She kept thinking about the two chocolates she just received. It was nice to be given chocolates for once. She cannot help but miss her best friends though. At this time of the year, they usually busy making chocolates or talking about boys or preparing for the Valentine's Day Festival.

Ella suddenly stopped walking when she saw someone, sitting on the bench, alone. It was weird. That day is Valentine's Day; everyone shall be enjoying it with their loved ones. And there he was, sitting. Ella looked closely to see the person's face. He seems familiar from the back. Ella walked closer and finally figured out who the guy is.

It was Jiro. He does not seem like himself. He used to be cheerful and bubbly and funny, and now, he just sad. Ella was going to leave him alone so that he can have his peace, but Jiro noticed her.

"Hmmm... Jiro, sorry that I bothered you, I'm just leaving." Ella said when Jiro turned and saw her.

"Oh no. I'm fine with it. Come. Sit." he said. He patted the empty side of the bench, signaling Ella to sit beside him.

Ella did not know what to do and just sat beside him. It was awkward. The both of them are quiet. Ella kept looking at Jiro, while Jiro kept looking at the cookie box in his hands.

"Jiro, aren't you going to eat it?" Ella said while pointing at the cookie box.

Jiro did not answer her and kept looking at the cookie box. He was sad. Ella did not know why and was afraid to ask. It was odd seeing Jiro like this. It was like all the life he had has been away from him.

Jiro took a deep breath and then relieved a big sigh. He looked up and met Ella's eyes.

"E, do you have some free time?" Jiro suddenly asked.

"Well, I was going to the dojo, but I guess I can do it some other time. Why you asked?" Ella said.

Jiro relieved another big sigh. "I want you to meet my girlfriend."

-----------------------------------------------------------

Chun was silently walking. He did not know where he was heading. He just wants to get away from all the girls that are confessing. It was tiring to reject a girl's confession, let alone a bunch of them. He really did not mean to hurt them, but he cannot exactly accept them either. He hates the feeling. He felt guilty. So the best thing to do is just avoid them.

But his deep though got the better of him. He became angry all of the sudden. It was bad enough that he had to reject a bunch of girls and felt guilty about it, now the girl he loves does not even bother with him. She did not do anything special to him on the day full of love. He became angrier with the thought of Ella spending her nights with Jerry on her mind. Why? That is all what he can ask. Out of all the girls in the world, why does he have to fall in love with a girl that disguise herself as a boy and already has a boyfriend? This is just too much.

"Chun!" someone shouted his name.

Chun quickly turned around to see the person who called him. When he saw who called him, he did not respond and kept walking.

"Chun, why do you keep walking away from me?"

Chun relieved a deep sigh and looked at the person in front of him.

"Charlene, what do you want now?" Chun asked.

"Aiyo! How many times I have to tell you to call me Ah Sa? It's just so formal and a mouthful to call me Charlene." Charlene said to him.

Chun did not say anything back. It is true that he never called her Ah Sa. That name is just too intimate for him and he never felt that close to her.

"I want to give you this." Charlene said while handing out a box.

"Charlene, you know I don't really like sweets." Chun said, rejecting the gift.

"That's why I give you this. It's not chocolate. It's salty biscuits." Charlene insisted on giving him her gift, but Chun kept refusing it. So Charlene just took it back.

"You do know that my feelings to you never change, right? I still like you, Chun. Love you. I still do." Charlene added. Chun did not respond. "If you don't want to accept the snacks maybe you accept something else."

Chun did not understand what she meant by that, so he just stood in front of her, silently, waiting for her to do something. Charlene slowly leaned closer to him. Chun thought that she was just going to whisper something or hug him, so he did not move. She leaned closer and closer. At this point Chun realized that was not aiming for his ears, instead his lips. Moments before she reached his lips, he turned his face. And instead kissing him on his lips, she kissed his cheek instead. Charlene realized that Chun just turned her down, again. So she quickly retreated and just looked at him.

"If you don't want to kiss me, that’s fine. Just accept this." Charlene said, giving him back the snacks.

"I don't to." Chun said while pushing the package back to her.

"Please. This is the last gift I'll ever give to you. This is a farewell gift, so you have to accept it." Charlene said.

"What do you mean?" Chun asked. He finally accepted the gift.

"This is the last time you'll ever see me, Chun. I'm leaving to America next morning." Charlene said.

"I hope you have a safe flight." Chun said with his usual tone.

"I'm still going to cheer for you, just from a far. Although, I am glad that Ello is here to cheer for you." Charlene said.

Chun just froze there in front of her. He did not know how to react. He never really closed to Charlene. He just treated her as a friend. But hearing what she just said about Ella made him wonder. Does Ella really care and willing to cheer for him? After all he had done to her, being cold to her, does she still willing to cheer for him?

"I'm really glad to have her with you, you know. Now I can leave in peace because I know she will take good care of you." Charlene said.

Chun kept silence. Then he repeated what Charlene just said in his mind. She? Charlene said 'she'. Charlene mentioned Ella or Ello in this case as a 'she' not 'he'.

"What do you mean?" Chun asked. He was confused. He was hoping that she just said it wrong.

Charlene did not say anything. She leaned closer to him. At first he thought that this was just another attempt to kiss him again, but it was not. She leaned beside his face and whispered to his ear.

"I don't know whether you know this already or not, but I'm sure that 'that girl' is going to treat you well. So I hope you treat her well too. But judging on how she was able to change your mind, I know that you'll treat her well." Charlene whispered to him.

Chun just froze upon hearing this. His head kept repeating the same thing. Charlene knows. Charlene knows that Ello is a girl.