Chun's Story

YOU BET!!!

Ella keeps staring at Teacher Mei who still has not given her any answer.

"Teacher Mei, what are you doing here?" Ella asked again.

Teacher Mei put his coffee back to his desk and walked towards her, staring back at her.

"You're going to be one of my star. So I think it's appropriate for me to see and examine your progress for the next two years, right? Think of it as me being your mentor." he said to her.

They are now face to face. Ella kept staring at him and thinking.

"Okay. But what are YOU doing here? You're not a doctor." Ella said.

"Kid, have you forgotten? I'm one of your teacher and also the school doctor in Shanghai School of Performing Arts."

Ella tried to remember the old memories of this school. It is true that Teacher Mei was her teacher, but she never knew that he was also the school doctor. Now that she thinks of it, she rarely went to the infirmary when she was still in Shanghai School and if there was a time when she did, she never met him. It has always been his assistant or the school nurse that helped her.

"You can do that? Is that even legal?" Ella asked. She knows this question is stupid but she cannot help herself from asking.

"Of course, I went to medical school and already had my doctor license, but I also interested in acting and performing. That's why I can do both." he explained. Ella was still quiet. "You've never met anyone that has two jobs like me, haven't you?" he added.

"Two jobs, yes. But two jobs like you, never." Ella answered. It was very rare to see someone who is a doctor but also manage to be an actor, or at least an acting teacher, at the same time.

"Now then, what should I call you?"

"Ello Chen."

 

"Ella. Ello. Very original." he . Ella kept quiet. She knows it was not the best choice for a name but at the time she could not think of any other names. So Ello will just do.

"Do you know why you fainted?" he asked, breaking the silence between them.

Ella tried to remember what just happened and then it hit her. "Jiro hit me while I was trying to grab my necklace."

"That wasn't it." Teacher Mei said to her.

Ella raised her eyebrows. It was definitely it because she clearly remembered fainting after Jiro hit her.

"Well, it was a trigger. But it wasn't the reason." he answered. Ella did not say anything, still confused. Teacher Mei looked at her; examined her closely. "It was because your sports bra was too tight." he said, still looking at her closely.

Ella became nervous. Without thinking she immediately covers her upper body with both of her hands. Teacher Mei burst to laughter when he saw her doing this.

"Relax, kid. I know the boundaries between student and teacher." he answered. Ella is still in her position. "I will ask one of my friends who is a costume designer to make you a new bra, something that is comfortable and can still hide your . But until it finish, I advise you not to do activities that require a lot of energy, like sports."

 

Ella was still silence. Her position is still the same, both hands covering her upper body. It is weird for her to talk about bras with a guy, let alone her teacher. Ella keeps both of her arms tight. One arm holding the collar of her T-Shirt and the other one holding her waist. As she stares at Teacher Mei, she realized something.

She kept tracing her neck and then looking at both of her hands and then back at Teacher Mei. She looked around the room and near the bed.

Her necklace is gone!

------------------------------------------------------------

Chun and Jiro are walking back to the dorm. The both of them are quiet. Jiro is still panicking about Ella's condition and Chun is still confused of his new discovery. Chun puts his hand inside his pocket, trying to find his cellphone. He does not know what he is going to do with it, but he needs something to get his mind out of things that's happening.

When he searched for his phone, he found something and pulled it out from his pocket. It was Ella's necklace. He looked at it carefully. He remembers how Ella was trying to grab it when Jiro accidentally hit her. She was holding it the whole time in the dojo, when she was still unconscious. But she accidentally dropped it when Chun rushed her to the infirmary. Of course, Chun picked it up and held on to it until she is awake. He knows that it is important to her.

Jiro was still busy panicking and worrying about Ella's condition, so he did not realized that Chun was busy staring at the necklace in his hand. Chun held the necklace tightly in his hand, hiding it from Jiro's sight.

"Jiro, you go back first. I think I left my phone in the infirmary. I'm going to get it first." Chun told Jiro. Jiro nodded and Chun quickly left.

When Chun got to infirmary, he saw Ella and the doctor who were having a staring contest. He did not know why they were staring at each other like that, so he quickly broke the awkward silence by knocking on the door. Both Ella and Teacher Mei were surprised to see Chun.

"Elle, you're awake. I guess it will be better if you rest on your own bed, it's more comfortable there, right?" Chun said to her.

Ella only nodded. She quickly grabbed her things and then nodded to Teacher Mei as a sign of good bye. Ella was still quiet. She kept thinking of her necklace. She was sure that before Jiro knocked her unconscious, she was able to grab it and hold it in her hand. But how come it was nowhere near her?

"Here." Chun said to her, breaking the silence between them while handing over her necklace to her.

Ella's eyes went wide when she saw the black band with a ring attached to it. She quickly grabbed it and looked at it carefully. She was so happy that her smile started to split her face.

"Where do you find this? I thought I lost it." she said to him. She could not contain the happiness within her.

"You were holding it the whole time, but accidentally dropped it when I rushed you to the infirmary. So I picked it up." Chun answered.

"Thank You. This necklace is everything for me." she said.

Ella did not say anything more to Chun because she was too busy looking at her necklace. She was going to wear it as soon as she got it, but then realized that the band is broken. So she held it in her hand instead. After a while, she realized something.

"Wait. You said you rushed me to the infirmary? You're the one who carried me?" Ella asked. She began to panic.

"Of course. Who else? Do you expect that you're able to walk to the infirmary by yourself?" Chun answered sarcastically.

Ella is in panic. Suddenly she grabs her shirt. She swallows her saliva. is now dry.

'Dammit! I'm dead meat! If he's the one that carried me, that means... NO! It's impossible to find out that I'm a girl. Right? RIGHT?! No! He can't find out that I'm a girl. I have to make some excuses. Yeah! He can't figure this out! He can't! Ella Chen! You have to calm yourself down! If you panic he will be more suspicious.' Ella thought.

'This girl probably didn't realize that when I was trying to lift her, I accidentally found out that she was a girl. Hmmm... Better to keep it a secret from now. I can't let her know that I know she's a girl. I need to find out what's she is up to first.' Chun thought to himself.

"Hey, you should eat up more. It's weird carrying a guy that is so light." Chun said breaking the silence.

"Oh. Okay." Ella was still nervous. But she tries to hide it.

'He said 'guy'. That means that he hasn't found out that I'm a girl.' Ella said to herself; sighing a big breath.

"Chun. Thank you for taking me to the infirmary. But, why are you there in the dojo actually? I thought Jiro was going to carry me." Ella said to him.

"Oh, that. I was just passing by when I saw Jiro accidentally hit you. It was you're fault actually. You suddenly bent down so he accidentally punches your face instead of your stomach." he explained.

"Oh... Yeah, I guess it was my fault." Ella said. She kept staring at the necklace in her hand.

Chun noticed this. "What is so important about that necklace anyway? You were hit because of it." Chun said to her.

Ella looked at him directly to his eyes. Chun never realized that Ella has such beautiful eyes. It was like she was directly looking to his soul. Ella held up her necklace with one hand and let the ring dangled in between the two of them.

"It's important because it was given by someone special." she answered him with a smile on her face. Chun just looked at her. Her eyes sparkle. Chun did not know how to explain it but he knows that the person who gave her that necklace owns her heart.

------------------------------------------------------------

Ella was just finish taking a shower. Her nose is still hurt from Jiro's punch earlier. She decided to keep the ring save in her medicine box until she fix the band of her necklace the next day. When she got out of the bathroom, Chun was nowhere in the room.

Ella was still wondering where Chun has gone when suddenly someone came knocking on the door. When she opened the door, she saw a guy leaning against the wall, looking at her.

Ella kept staring at him. His dark hair flows smoothly, covering his ears. His pale face is so perfect. It was radiant and flawless. His almond shaped eyes are watching her. Those dark eyes are very sharp and Ella can feel that she could just die if she keeps staring at them.

"Excuse me, who are you?" Ella asked.

The guy kept staring at her from head to toe for a few more seconds until he finally talks. "I'm Danson Tang, the supervisor for this dorm. I'm in the same grade as you, but we're in different class. Sorry that it took me more than a week to properly greet you but I was away for a photo shoot."

"Oh. Hi, nice to meet you. I'm Ello Chen. You can call me El, or E, or Ello, whatever you like." Ella said to him.

Danson keeps staring at her and then he leans closer to her. He holds her chin and examines her face.

"You're too beautiful to be a guy, Elle. It's a good thing that you're a guy though, if you're a girl I probably have taken you to my dorm room the moment you arrived here." Danson said with a smile on his face. They are now very close, just a breath away from each other.

Ella was frozen in front of him. She was nervous. All she can do is looking at those sharp eyes. She wants to swallow her saliva but she cannot because her whole mouth is now dry. Ella did not know what to say or what to do to break the intensity between them.

"Ehem!" Someone choked behind Danson. Danson immediately turns around and both Ella and he see who the person is.

"Danson, what are you doing here?" Chun asked coldly to him.

"As the supervisor of this dorm, I think it’s part of my job to introduce our new friend here to the place. Don't you think?" Danson answered him. One of his arms is now wrap around Ella's shoulder.

"You're a week too late." Chun told him.

"Well, you know how busy I am. But too late or not, I'm still the supervisor and I still need to show him around the place." Danson said with his charming smile.

Ella just stood between the two. She did not know why, how, or when did it happened, but she can feel the intensity from between the two. She wants to stop it because being in that kind of atmosphere is just not that comfortable for her. However, she does not know how to stop it, so she just stands still, taking turn watching the both of them.

"I'm his roommate. It will be easier if I take him around the place." Chun said.

Danson did not say anything. They kept staring at each other. Slowly Chun walks toward Danson and Ella. But Danson walks away from him, taking Ella with him. His arm still wraps around her shoulder. They change position. Chun is now blocking the door, while Ella and Danson were looking at him.

Chun closes the door behind him and then walks towards Ella. He grabs her wrist, taking her from Danson's arm.

"Let’s go." Chun said while walking away from Danson, leaving him alone in the empty hallway. Frozen and surprised by what just happened.

"That's interesting." Danson said to himself. He kept thinking for a while. With a smile on his face and his finger trailing over his lips, he watched the two walking away from him. After Ella and Chun were out of sight, he left the empty hallway and went back to his room.

Chun kept dragging Ella away from the dorm. He did not know where he was heading but he knows that he wants to keep her away from Danson. Ella just followed him without any question. Confused at what he was doing. For a couple minutes after he took her wrist, she was lost in her own mind. Only after moments later, which she started to feel out of breath that she realized what Chun was doing to her. He was dragging her and because his legs are twice the size of hers, she was forced to run just so that she could keep up with him.

"Chun! CHUN! STOP!" she screamed to him.

She does not care whether he heard her or not, but she just need to stop. She is tired and out of breath. Chun did not hear her, but when he felt that Ella was getting heavier to drag, he stopped. When he turned around to face her, he saw her out of breath. After seeing her like this, he mentally slapped himself. Not knowing what took over his head like that.

"What are you doing? Where are you taking me?" said Ella while trying to let go of Chun's grip over her. After he let go, she immediately rubbed her wrist with her other hand. His grip was so strong that her wrist became red.

"I want to give you a tour of the place." Chun said.

Ella did not say anything. She is still confused. She knows that Chun does not need to show her the whole school. Jiro already gave her the tour of the place and he knew it. So why was he doing this? And moreover, why is he being nice to her. For more than a week now, he has been cold towards her. Acting like she does not even exist. So what just happened?

Chun walks closer towards her and then leaned closer. He stared at her directly in the eyes. Ella never realized the depth of his stare, until now. Now she knows why the hallway was very tense when Danson and Chun exchanged look because both of them have the same intensity in their eyes when they look at someone.

"He is dangerous. I advise you stay away from him." Chun said.

"What do you mean? Who are you talking about?" asked Ella. She was confused.

 

Chun is frustated. He is trying his best to explain to Ella but she is just very dense.

"Danson. He's nice, but he's dangerous." Chun said, trying to explain. Ella is still quiet, still confused. "He's a playboy, a ert. So I advised you to stay away from him." he continued. Ella just stared at him.

"Let’s go back to the room." Chun said to her.

Before Ella could say anything, Chun walked away from her and went back to the dorm. Ella cannot do anything but follows him. In her mind she keeps thinking of what had just happened, but she simply cannot draw any conclusion. This was driving her crazy all night and made her unable to sleep peacefully.

------------------------------------------------------------

The next day, Ella can barely keep her eyes open. She is so tired from thinking about what happened the night before. And yet, after thinking a whole night, she has not come up with any answer. And that is driving her MAD!

The lack of sleep and a lot of confusion in her head really does not help her in school. She lost focus during all the lessons and not only that, she also began to not paying attention on where she was going.

She was lucky enough that Jiro stopped her moments before she hit a tree.

"E, be careful!" Jiro said while pulling her to the side.

Moments later Ella snapped herself and realized that she was going to hit a tree if Jiro had not stop her.

"Thank you." she said.

"E, what's wrong with you? You've dozed off the entire day and you barely able to keep your eyes open. You don't sleep well last night, don't you?" Jiro asked her.

"He? There's nothing wrong. I'm alright." Ella said.

"Aiyo... E, you have panda eyes to prove that you haven't slept yet. So come on tell me, what's wrong?" Jiro asked her.

Ella is glad to have a friend like Jiro. He is a considerate guy and he treat everyone the same. He did not care if Ella was a 'guy', he still shows her that he cares for her and she really appreciates it.

"Last night, Danson came to my room. He was going to show me around the place, but Chun took me around instead. He said that Danson's dangerous. I don't know what that meant." Ella explained. She was going to tell Jiro about the awkward moment between Chun and Danson and also about Chun's sudden change of personality towards her, but decided not to.

"Dangerous?" Jiro is now confused.

"Yeah, he said that Danson's a playboy, a ert." Ella added.

"Oh, that. Well that is true. He is a playboy and a ert. His reputation is very well known. Not just around here but also in other universities and some schools too." Jiro told her.

Ella does not say anything back. She is still confused. Jiro knows that she is confused and explains more to her.

"You know, he is a model. So he is famous. He can get any girl he wants around the area. He is actually very nice, but every girl that talks to him, will ended up on his bed. He can either make a girl lose her 'innocence' and/or get a girl pregnant." Jiro explain.

After Ella heard everything that Jiro said to her, she became worried.

"Preg-pregnant? Really?" Ella asked. She is worried and scared.

"Yeah! Scary, isn't it?"

"Yeah... Scary... Very scary..." Ella said. Now she is really scared.

"Hey, don't be scared. You're not a girl. You're a guy. And guys don't get pregnant. I am right?" Jiro said, trying to ease the tension.

Ella snapped herself. She remembers that her identity now is Ello Chen, a guy.

"Yeah. I'm a guy, of course. How can I get pregnant? I'm a guy." Ella said. She keeps repeating her words just to make sure Jiro believes her.

Jiro just smiled at her and they continue walking to the dormitory. While they were walking they passed the basketball court and saw Chun watching it from a distance. It has been numerous times already that Ella has seen Chun looking at the basketball court like that, longing for something.

Ella was just about to walk over to him to greet him, but decided not to when she saw someone walking towards him. It was a girl. A beautiful girl, if Ella might add. When the girl got close to Chun, she patted his shoulder and he turned around to face her. Even though, Chun still shows no expression towards the girl, she knows that Chun knows that girl very well. It was weird seeing Chun able to talk to somebody, especially a girl, like that. He just talks and that is a rare sight to see.

"Jiro, does Chun have a girlfriend?" Ella asked while walking towards the dorm, away from the basketball court.

"Hmmm? I guess not, none that I know of at least." Jiro answered.

Ella was going to ask who the girl was but then they already walked way pass the basketball court and both Chun and the girl were nowhere in sight. So she decided not to ask the question.

------------------------------------------------------------

The next day, Ella and Jiro were walking back to the dorm after school ended. Ella thought that she was going to see Chun near the basketball court again, but he was nowhere in sight. Ella and Jiro were walking pass the trees when they heard someone was talking. They followed the voice and saw who was talking. It was Chun, and he was talking to the girl.

"Here. A gift for you." the girl said while handing over a small box to him. It was a beautiful blue box wrapped in silver ribbon.

"You know that I don't accept gifts from you anymore." Chun replied, giving back the gift.

"It's just a little gift. It won't hurt you if you just accept it. Anyways, I won't leave until you accept it." the girl insisted, handing over the gift back to Chun.

Chun reluctantly accepted the gift. He opened the knot of the silver ribbon and opens the box. He looked at the gift and pulled it out of the box. It was a key chain, a basketball key chain.

"Thank you." Chun said to her.

"Chun... I know you still love basketball, so why don't you just go back there and play? You're so good at it and you look so happy every time you play." the girl said to him.

"I don't play anymore, remember? And you should stop cheering for me, hoping that I will come back to the court and play because I'm not. I'm not going to play anymore and that's it." Chun explained. His tone was cold.

"I won't give up. I'll continue cheering for you and I'll be waiting for you to come back to the court." the girl said.

"Stop it. Just stop it. I'm not coming back and there's nothing you can do about it. So stop it. Everything, just stop it." Chun said to her. His tone was colder than before. Ella could tell that he was getting angry at the girl.

Both Ella and Jiro realized that their conversation was getting intense. So they decided not to bother them and leave immediately before they notice that Jiro and Ella have been listening to their conversation the whole time.

"Jiro, who is that girl?" Ella asked after being as far away from Chun and the girl.

"Her? She claims herself to be Chun's number one fan. Her name is Charlene Choi."

Ella was quite for a while, thinking. For most of time that she had known about Chun, she can only think of Hebe as his number one fan and no one else. And now seeing some girl that is more eager than Hebe was a bit surreal for her.

"Jiro, I've been thinking for a while about this. I know you're Chun's best friend so I know that you definitely know the answer to the question that I'm about to ask you. But I know my boundaries, so if you don't want to answer it, it's okay." Ella said.

"Well, go on. I'm listening." Jiro said, trying to make her more relax.

Ella relieved a deep sigh and then opened . "Do you know why Chun doesn't play basketball anymore?"

"Why do you ask?" Jiro asked back to her.

"Well, my best friend is a huge fan of his so if she's going to be devastated by Chun's decision of quitting basketball then the least I can do for her is told her the reason. At least this would make her understand, right? And also, I'm his roommate. I just want to know him better." she explained.

Jiro took a deep breath and relieved a big sigh, preparing himself to answer the question. After he was ready, he finally opened his mouth and talked.

"It was a year ago. Chun was on the peak of his game. He was good, very good. Being an athlete you should know that we get a lot of injuries." Ella nodded at this. "At that time, Chun was badly injured, but he insisted on playing. But the injuries got worse. He hurt both of his knees and ankles, so the coach ordered him to rest and didn't play the match. They lost that game. It was the last match of the tournament. It was the final match and they lost. Chun blamed himself for the loss of his team. He said it was his fault because he couldn't heal faster. No one really blamed him actually, but he just really upset that he did not get to play with his teammates until the last second. He felt that he let them down." Jiro said. He took another deep breath and then stared at the sky.

"After three months, all of Chun's injuries had finally healed and he was ready to join his team again. He was ready to fight with them. Unfortunately, he wasn't qualified. From that point on, he would train even harder than before just to get back on the team. But every time he pushed his limit, his knees and ankles hurt. His coach told him not to push himself too hard. He told him to take it easy and think about his health instead. But Chun thought differently. He thought that what the coach was trying to say was that he should just quit basketball. He thought the coach was rejecting him. So instead of focusing on healing his injuries and trying to play basketball step by step, he quit. He felt that no one needed him anymore, especially after seeing that the team actually got better without him around."

After Jiro finished telling the story, Ella could only stared at him. She never knew about this and she doubt that Hebe knows this. All she could feel now is pity over Chun. She finally understands Chun now. He was not cold, he is depressed.