Rainy Love

YOU BET!!!

"So, what really happened yesterday?" Teacher Mei asked.

Ella took a deep breath and finally opened .

"Do you really want to know? Because if you do, I'm going to tell you, but you have to be prepared for anything that might happen to me." she warned.

"Okay. Fair enough. Now talk."

Ella relived a deep sigh and then looks at Teacher Mei. Every emotion starts to come back to her as all the memories of yesterday's events rushing into her mind.

[FLASHBACK]

"Hey! I'm open!" Ella shouted.

Chun who has the ball quickly passed it to her, Ella jumped to catch the ball and quickly made a swift lay-up. And moments later the ball went into the basket.

"Score! Yeah!" Ella shouted.

She immediately ran to Chun and gave him a high five. Then she ran towards her other teammates and gave them high fives. It was nice to have some bonding time with the guys. It made her miss her guy friends back at Shanghai School of Performing Arts. They always do this kind of stuff when they have some spare time.

Since they had already played for more than thirty minutes nonstop, everybody agreed for a break. They all went to the side of the court. Some sat on the ground, some on the bench, and some just stood there. Ella quickly grabbed some water from her back, when she noticed her cellphone's light was on. She quickly takes a look and saw a text message.

‘From: Xuxu

Xiao Chen, I miss you so much. I'm in Taipei tomorrow. Pick me up? Then we can spend the entire day together. I really miss you. Call me back, okay?'

"Guys! I'm done." Ella told the other guys who already entered the court for another game.

"Oh, come one E! Another game?" Jiro pleaded.

"Yeah Elle, you only had one game." Aaron said.

"No, I think I'm all good. I don't want to get sore tomorrow. Bye!" Ella said. But before anyone can stop her, Ella had already gone from their sight.

Ella walked as fast as she could to avoid everyone. She looked around and when she confirmed to herself that no one was around her, she immediately took out her cellphone and dialed some numbers.

"Hello?" the person on the other line said.

"Xuxu, I got your text. When will you arrive here?" Ella asked.

"I think about 10 a.m. Will you pick me up at the airport? Then we can go somewhere and just spend the entire day together." Jerry asked.

"Yeah. Sure. I love that."

"Xiao Chen, I really really miss you."

"I know. I miss you too."

"It's getting late. Go to sleep alright?"

"Yeah, you too. I don't want you to miss your flight."

"Okay. See you tomorrow. Sleep tight. Love you."

"You too. Sweet dreams. Love you more."

And with that, they ended their call. Ella quickly went back to her dorm to clean herself and prepare for her big date the next day. She already had some girlie clothes secretly hidden in her closet just in case something like this happen. She did not want to go on a date with her boyfriend as a guy. She wants him to see her as Ella Chen not Ello.

She bought all of those clothes when she went with the guys to buy some supplies. She always says that the clothes, including the underwear, were for Hebe or Selina. Of course, the guys did not question anymore. They just thought that Ella was being thoughtful towards her friends or girlfriends.

She quickly placed all of her girlish clothes in her bag and left it to the side, so that Chun would not notice it. After she finished, she quickly went to sleep.

The next day, she woke up early. She quickly took a shower and dashed off of her room. But then she came back because she forgot her cellphone. While trying to find it, she took a glimpse of the sleeping Chun. She realized that he will be worried when he found her not in the room, so she wrote a note for him.

She wrote a bunch of note before finally decided what the right words to write. After that she finally took away all the notes and throw them at the garbage can, and posted the final note at Chun's desk.

"Sorry, but I don't want to be bothered. Don't worry about me. I'll be fine." she whispered. She leaned closer and then gave his cheek a light kiss.

Surprised at her own action, she quickly retreated back and left immediately, forgetting about her cellphone.

All the way from the campus to the airport she kept scolding herself.

"What did I do that? I kissed him! I kissed his cheek! Stupid Ella! Stupid! You're about to go on a date with your boyfriend and you just kissed another man!! How more idiotic can you be? Idiot!" she scolded herself.

When she got to the airport it was still early and Jerry's flight have not landed yet. So, she quickly went to the bathroom and went inside the room for handicapped person. Yes, this is not right. Boys and girls please do not try this at home! But she has no other ways to do. If she went to the boys’ restroom, everyman in there will freak when she came out as a girl. They will think she is transgender or something. And if she went to the girls restroom, well that is highly impossible since she is still dressed as a boy, so no women will ever allow her in there.

Ella was lucky enough that no one scolded her for using the bathroom for the handicapped and she was even luckier that no one noticed that she came in as a boy and came out as a girl.

After waiting for another half hour, the flight from Shanghai finally arrived. Ella waited and then waited, until the person she was eager to see finally arrived in front of her.

"Xuxu!" she shouted while running towards him.

"Xiao Chen!" Jerry shouted while heading towards his loving girlfriend.

When they reached each other, they immediately gave each other a big hug. They did not care if everyone was looking; all they care about is that they both have each other. Ella kept hugging him tight, as if Jerry was about to be taken away from her. Jerry on the other hand, occasionally brushed her soft hair with his fingers and kissed the top of her head.

"I miss you." Ella whispered to him.

"I miss you more." Jerry said while slowly letting her go.

The two just stood there facing each other, without saying a word. They were lost in each other’s eyes.

"We better get going." Jerry finally said.

"Where are you taking me?" Ella asked.

"You'll see." Jerry said with a smile.

Both of them quickly took a cab and left the airport. It was nice to be in each other’s arms again. They miss each other’s presence. After 30 minutes, they finally arrived at their destination.

The cab took them to an amusement park in Taipei. After they got out from the cab they quickly went inside and enjoyed their whole day there. That day could not have gone better. They rode on different kinds of ride, from the scary ones, to thrilling ones, and then they went to the romantic ones. It was just perfect. They even shared their snacks and meals. Ella could just feel everybody glaring at them with envy and this made her smile. She is really glad that God has sent her an angel as her loving boyfriend.

The sun has just set when they left the amusement park. They enjoyed the sunset together at the beach within the amusement park. It was beautiful and Ella was quite sad when it ended.

Fortunately for her, their fun did not just end like that. Jerry took her to a nearby fast food restaurant and buy some food for them to eat for dinner. They did not eat there; Jerry bought some take out instead and took her to a nearby park. They walked hand in hand under the night sky with the twinkling stars and the smiling moon watching over them.

They finally stopped walking in front of the fountain in the park.

"Let's do something." Jerry suddenly said.

"What? I'm hungry already and the food is getting cold." Ella whined.

"Just a moment." Jerry said. And then he grabbed something from his pocket. It was two coins. He held on in his palm and gave the other one to Ella.

"You're not going to make me throw this coin to the fountain and make a wish, are you?" Ella asked.

"Why not?" Jerry asked back.

"Well, it's just weird. And beside it only works with the fountain in Rome." Ella said.

"Well, since I didn't have enough money to take you to Rome, here will just do, okay?" Jerry asked.

"Okay. Fine." Ella nodded.

They finally turn around so that their backs faced the fountain and then extended their arms with the coins in their hands. They closed their eyes and then made their wish.

'I wish. All my dreams come true and I can face all the obstacles bravely.' she said inside her heart.

"Okay, ready?" Jerry asked her. Ella just nodded. "Okay. 1. 2. 3!" he said. And the both of them throw the coins on their palms over their heads. When they heard the sounds of the coins finally dropped to the water in the fountain, they immediately turned around. They did not know why exactly, but they just stood there, watching the beauty of the fountain. With his hand over her shoulder and her hand around his waist, Ella was happy and content.

After they finished admiring the fountain, Jerry took her to a bench nearby and they had their dinner. They talked in between their bites, about everything that happened with themselves when they was not around each other. After they finished, Jerry quickly threw away all the empty meal packages to the trash can and quickly back at his sit, next to her.

"Xiao Chen..." Jerry called her.

"What?" Ella asked, moving her gaze from the starry night sky to the guy next to her. But he did not look back, instead he just look up at the dark sky.

"I'm going to America tomorrow." he suddenly said.

It took a moment for Ella to digest what Jerry just said to her. Every word that just came out seemed to be just wrong in her ears. "WHAT?!? Why so sudden?" she finally asked after regaining her senses.

"I'm sorry for telling you just now."

"How long are you planning to stay? When will you be back?" Ella asked.

"Never. I'm never coming back. I'm moving there."

Ella just froze beside him, unable to say a word. Everything happened so fast that she cannot process it immediately.

"I'm sorry. But the reason I came here is to tell you this." he said. He took a deep breath and continued. "And... I want to break up with you."

Ella did not know how to react. This is just to shocking for her. Moments before they were enjoying dinner and the company of each other, and now he is telling her that he is leaving her and wanting to break up with her. Is there something wrong with her that made him want to get away from her? Ella was just shocked. She could feel her heart exploding into millions of tiny pieces. How can he do that to her? How?

"What? Why? Is there something wrong with us? With me? We've been doing great for the last couple of years. Why break up with me?" Ella asked.

"Xiao Chen, trust me. It's not you, it's me." Jerry said. Oh My God! What a lame excuse. This is by far, the worst excuse anyone can give during a break up. Boys and girls, please do not repeat this sentences because this sentences is very cliché, lame, and cheesy, and had already been used millions of time whether in real life or in a movie or in a story, just like this one.

"Why break up with me? We're doing just fine. If you're reason is because you're moving to America, that's not a good reason! I'm here in Taipei and you're in Shanghai, and we can still manage our relationship. America should be no different."

"But it is! Everything will be different. You maybe don't realized this, but I'm tired with you here in Taipei. Not knowing how you are, with whom, your safety, it is just killing me. And you in Taipei are different. You will be back soon, but I'm not. I'm staying in America permanently. I just can’t take it. I can't be in a long distance relationship with you. One year is enough for me to suffer and I don't want to repeat that when I'm in America. So it will be best for us to just break up."

"You didn't trust me while I'm in here? You didn't trust our relationship?" Ella asked.

"It's not that I didn't trust you. It's just hard for me not knowing anything about your daily life. I can't take being away from you. And now, I'm moving to America. I just can't stand the pain being attached to you but not being there beside you."

"So being in a relationship with me, pains you?" Ella asked. This is really hurtful of him. He made it seemed like being in a relationship with her is some kind of torture.

"No! That's not what I meant. It's just; I just want this to be done, okay? One year is enough time for me to think that we're not meant to be together. I'm sorry for us to end like this. I'm really sorry. I know that you will someone better than me. I'm really sorry." Jerry said lowering his head down.

"So, that's it. Years and years of liking each other and committed relationship, and you just dumped me like this? Does our relationship even mean something to you? Let me remind you. We didn't just go out yesterday, we've known each other since we're kids and we're not just in a relationship for just months. We've been together for years. YEARS! Does that mean nothing to you? Do I mean nothing to you for you to just throw me away like this?" Ella said while holding back her tears.

"Xiao Chen..."

"You gave me hope. You make me feel that we're alright. You came to me and gave me the most amazing day of my life. You make me fly to heaven only to be thrown back down to hell! You said you love me and here you are saying that you're breaking up with me and leaving me! How could you?!"

"I can't say anything more. You have the right to be mad at me, but I can't say anything else except sorry. Everything that happened already happened and we can't change that. I'm sorry, but I'm leaving." Jerry said. He then stood up, facing his back against her.

"Since we're no longer together, I guess you can give me back my ring." he said again.

Ella quickly got up from the bench and walked in front of him. Her eyes are full with anger. Seconds later, when Jerry thought that Ella was going to pull her necklace and give him back his ring, she slapped him instead.

"Listen. The day you gave me this ring, you told me that I should wear it as long as I love you and I still am. Even though you hurt me, I don't care. I'm not like you who can throw away years and years of relationship down the drain like that."

"I'm sorry, but I have to go." Jerry said, trying to avoid her.

Ella suddenly hugged him, preventing him from leaving her.

"Xuxu, please don't leave me. I need you. We don't have to break up, I can follow you to America." she said.

"But I don't want that. You have a life here and you have your dreams to follow. Please, just let this be. Maybe we're not meant to be together. Perhaps it would be better if we're with someone else."

"What do you mean? I love you. I need you. I'm serious. I want to be with you. Reaching my dreams will be a waste without you by my side."

"Really? Are you sure?" Jerry asked and Ella just nodded. "Please, it's over between us. I'm leaving and there's nothing you can do about it. Please don't wait for me and search for me. We have to move on. We have our own life, without each other. I'm sorry, but everything has been decided."

"By who? By you? This is unfair. I love you so much; you can't just leave me like this."

"I'm sorry, but there's nothing I can do." he said while trying to let her go.

Ella slowly let him go and looked at him directly in his eyes. They both just stood there, frozen.

"Good bye Ella Chen. Take care." he said.

Jerry quickly walked away from her. Ella quickly followed him. Noticing that he is being followed, Jerry quickens his pace. But Ella was able to catch up and grabbed his hands.

"Please Xuxu. Don't go. Please stay. Don't leave me! I love you! I need you!" she shouted while still grabbing his hand and trying to keep up with him.

"I'm sorry Ella, I am. But it's over between us. It's over." he said.

"Please Xuxu. I'm your Xiao Chen. Please, I beg of you. Don't leave me." Ella pleaded.

"Stop it! You're not my Xiao Chen anymore. You're just Ella Chen to me. And I'm no longer your Xuxu anymore. I'm Jerry Yan." he said while shaking her off of him.

He finally succeeded but that landed her on the ground. Jerry did not look at Ella and just ran away from her. Ella quickly got up and followed him, but he was too fast for her. Jerry did not look back and quickly hailed a cab. Ella cannot do anything except watching the man she once loved and still loves, running away from her. She can only watch the cab he is in driving farther away from her with each passing seconds.

"Ella Chen. I'm sorry." Jerry whispered in the cab. He did not notice this, but a single drop of tear finally escaped his left eye.

"Where to?" the cab driver asked.

"Airport." Jerry answered.

And with that Jerry left Ella, standing alone in the park, watching him going farther away from her. She cannot believe what just happened. She was still shocked by it. She kept saying 'Don't leave me' towards where Jerry was heading just moments ago, but nothing happened. Jerry did not come back to her. He still leaves her. He did not listen to her and left her. Ella just stood there, absorbing everything that just happened. Tears started to fall from her eyes and she did not even bother to wipe it. Suddenly she felt something cold on her head and then she looked up at the sky. It seemed that the heaven was just sad seeing her like this because the sky is now sending it tears for her. Ella did not do anything. She just stood there, in the park, under the rain, crying over losing her beloved boyfriend.

[END OF FLASHBACK]

Ella finally finished her story. She did not shed a single tear, but Teacher Mei knows that she wants to cry badly. So he got up from his chair beside her bed and grabbed a tissue box from his desk.

"Here." he said while offering her the tissue box. "You don't have to pretend to be strong in front of me. Just cry all you want."

"I wanted to, but I can't. I used up all my tears already. My eyes are basically dry now." she said.

Teacher Mei relieved a sigh and then placed the tissue box on her bedside table.

"Wait. Weren't you wearing girls' clothes? How did you get into the dorm without getting caught?" Teacher Mei asked, trying to change the topic.

Ella relieved a sigh. "I may be sad, but that doesn't mean that I'm dumb. After I got soaked under the rain, I went to a public restroom and change my clothes back. Since my bag and my boys' clothes are already wet, after I change back into a boy, I continued my crying session under the rain."

Teacher Mei took a deep breath and then looked at her. "Listen, Ella. I know that you're very heartbroken right now, but I want you to remember that you're now a boy and you have to stay in character. Stop moping around and if you can't go to a bathroom to weep for all your sorrows. Since you want to be an actress, something like this will be happened again someday. There will be times that you have to choose between your career and the people you love, whether it is your parents, your family, your best friends, even your lovers. Right now, you already made your first decision and you chose your career. So I want you to focus and stay with your words. Understand?"

Ella just nodded and looked at Teacher Mei. She was kind of in a state of shock.

"Why are you looking at me like that? Your eyes are about to pop out." Teacher Mei said.

"It's just weird that you called me Ella."

"Oh right. I shouldn't call you that. You're Ello now."

"No, it's not that. You rarely call me Ella or Ello. You always call me kid, young lady, kiddo, but never my name."

"Well, don't make such big deal out of it. I'm glad that no one heard your name though, or else you'll be discovered." he said again.

But Teacher Mei was wrong, someone did hear him said Ella's name. In fact he has been listening to Ella's painful break up story from the very beginning. Chun balled up his palm into a fist. He was ready to punch something or someone, but tried to restrain himself so that Ella and Teacher Mei did not noticed his presence.

'That bastard! How can he do that to Ella? What she's ever done for him to treat her that way? That guy doesn't deserve her. She always loves him with all her heart and even willing to give up her dreams just for him, and he just dumped her like that? How could he?' Chun thought.

He was mad. He was frantic. He loves her so much that seeing her hurt, hurts him even more. It pains him to see her so vulnerable like that. Seeing her tears falling from her eyes and seeing her weeping just make him wants to kill himself because he was unable to make her happy. And now, that he knows the reason she is hurt is because of the person she loves the most, it just pains him even more.

'Ella. How can someone do such horrible things to you?' he thought.

Chun just stopped for a minute. Something in his thoughts distracts the fact that he is boiling with anger.

'Ella... I just realized this now. After a year of living together, I just found out your real name. How can I not notice it the moment Danson showed you the false addressed letter from your jerk ex-boyfriend?' he thought again.

Chun actually able to calm down the moment he thought about Ella's real name, but when his thought mentioned her ex-boyfriend, his head started boiling again. His fist started to become tighter and tighter. His face is red because of anger and he kept grinding his teeth out of frustration.

"Ella, I promise you this. Even if it takes my life, I don't care, but I won't let you get hurt, physically or mentally. I promise you I won't let anyone hurt you. Ever." he whispered.