Colors

The Colors of My World

As I told her yesterday, I came back again for working on the next day. The maid welcomed me and told me that Seon-yul was on the living room. So I walked toward the living room. The living room was the place where I met her for the first time. As I walked toward the room, I could hear sound of the piano played. So I guessed that Seon-yul was playing the piano. As I entered the room and came toward her, she stopped playing the piano.

 

“Junhyung ssi?” She asked.

 

“Yes.” I replied her.

 

She smiled. I stopped beside the piano.

 

“I’m so sorry about yesterday. I left without saying anything to you.”

 

“Ah, it’s fine.” She said. “You had another schedule yesterday, right?” She patted the piano chair beside her, telling me to sit there.

 

“Yeah.” I said then sat beside her on the piano chair. I looked at her. “How’s the recording yesterday?”

 

“Nothing wrong happened.” She said. “Hyungsoo oppa is a professional musician. He can finish the recording before his next schedule.”

 

“You seem to know him so well.” I said as I tried to make my voice as plain as possible.

 

She nodded. “I’ve worked with him since he released his single ‘Dropping the Tears’.”

 

“No wonder.” I just nodded and went silent. I looked at the piano in the front of her. “How can you play piano so well?”

 

She smiled. “I have been played piano since I can remember. My mother was a pianist. And she was a great one.”

 

Was?

 

“Where is she now?”

 

A soft smile came to her face. “Omma has died when I was 13 years old.”

 

I felt that I had made mistake. “Ah, sorry.”

 

Her smile widened. “It’s fine.”

 

I looked back at her. She seemed to be carefree with her fingers playing on the piano. But then her eyes were blank as usual. And my curiosity about her blindness arose.

 

“Sorry if I ask.” I paused as she stopped and turned her face on me. “But do you blind since you were born?”

 

She tilted her head. “Not really. Appa and Omma told me that I didn’t born blind. But when my age was few weeks old, I got a high fever and I lost my sight.”

 

“Have you ever tried to check it?”

 

She nodded. “Once, when I was still 15 years old.” She paused. “But I have no chance to be able to see. Even if the doctor can fix my eyes, but the eye nerve system on my brain have been used by my blindness for far too long. So my chance to see is so hard to predict. It can be cured. It can be not.”

 

Somehow I felt guilty to ask the question to her. “I’m so sorry.”

 

“Don’t be sorry.” She said cheerfully. “It’s fine to ask because you’re curious. Besides, it’s how I am. So why do I have to be angry if it’s how I am?” She ended the speech with shrugging her shoulders.

 

I smiled lopsided to hear her words. She was wise despite of her young age. “You’re right. But not everyone act like you do.”

 

She chuckled. “I guess I’m not included to everyone category.”

 

“So…” I looked at the front of us. “What do you want to know?” I looked back at her and saw that she was tilting her head. “Probably I can help you to see this world.”

 

She giggled and made me smiled along with her. “It’ll be hard on you. But I appreciate it.”

 

“No, I’m serious.”

 

“Then…” She said then seemed to be thinking.

 

“Well, what color is green? Can you describe it for me?”

 

The question made me confuse. What kind of color green actually was? How could I describe it for her?

 

“Green is…”

 

Somehow I found my self hard to explain. I knew what kind of color green is. Green is the color of the leaves. Green is the color of grass. But I din’t know how to explain it for her. It would be better if she knew colors once. But she had been blind since she could remember. So I didn’t know how to explain it for her.

 

But then, I heard she started to laugh. I looked at her in confusion. But somehow her laugh brought a smile for me.

 

“Why do you laugh?” I asked her as I smiled.

 

“It’s hard, isn’t it?” She said as she laughed. “Every time, I ask about what kind of color certain is, everyone will become silent like you did. Oppa said that they had become confused and somehow awkward.”

 

“Ah.” I scratched the back of my head, feeling embarrassed.

 

Her laugh calmed down and turned into a gentle smile. “I think it’s hard to explain something that you see every day to someone that never knows about color.” She exhaled.

 

“But I know what kind of color blue is.”

 

She tilted her head. “Blue?” She paused. “Then how is blue?”

 

“Blue is comforting, soothing and calming.” I told her. "It can make you calm and comfort you."

 

She looked understand. "Ah..." She said. "How about Pink? I heard about it a lot. They say that pink is the color of girls."

 

I chuckled. "Yes, I guess. Pink color is sweet."

 

"Like sugar?" She asked innocently.

 

I smiled with her question. "Yes, like a sugar."

 

"Then I also hear about soft and strong colors. Can you tell me about that?"

 

I thought for a while. "Humm... How to describe it. But degradation of color is like..." I stopped for a while, trying to find some analogies for explaining to her. I looked at the tea that served in the front of me then an idea struck my mind. "Probably, it like when you taste the sugar on your tea. Soft color probably like when you drink tea with small amount of sugar. It'll give you faint sweetness, right?"

 

She nodded.

 

"That's how you see soft colors. They have faint feeling of certain color." I paused. "And for strong color, it's like when you add more sugar on your tea. It'll give you strong scent of sweetness."

 

She looked understand. And a smile came to her face. “Ah, I see.” She said. “Then, what kind of color Red is?”

 

I smiled. “It’s a daring and hot color. Whenever you think about Red, you will think about fire.”

 

She chuckled. “Really?”

 

“But you also think about the color of your blood.”

 

She frowned in disgusts. “Sounds scary.”

 

I chuckled with her naïve comment. “Not really.” I paused as I smiled. “Because red is also the color of Love.”

 

She raised her eyebrows, seemed to realize about something.

 

“Same as Pink. So you can say that the color of love is red and pink.”

 

She smiled after that. “How about yellow?”

 

I thought for a while then I told her. “Yellow is a bright color. You can say that yellow is the color of the sun. Well, not really the sun color, but you might say that yellow is bright color.”

 

“So, yellow is a warm color?” She asked. “I always feel warm with sun.”

 

“Yes.” I replied her. “But you can say that orange color is a warm color too. If you know someone that cheerful, their color would be orange.”

 

“So, the orange fruit is orange too?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“Ah…” She understood as she nodded her head. “Then how about brown?”

 

“But all I could think about brown is nature. Brown is the color of the tree branches and soil.” I told her.

 

“Ah… warm yet cold.”

 

I smiled in amusement when she said that. “Why?”

 

“I ever tried to bury my hand on the soil just to feel how the soil is. It was warm at the first time. But then, I also felt cold.” She paused as she smiled to reminisce her past. “Because Tae-Il oppa was pouring water to the soil.”

 

I laughed because of it. She laughed along with me.

 

She seemed to remember about something. “Then, what is the color of water?” Seon-yul asked me.

 

What the color of water was, she asked. Another naïve question that made me smiled. But water had no color.

 

“Nothing. The water is colorless.”

 

She frowned. “Really?” She tilted her head. “I thought the water color is blue. I often heard that.”

 

“Actually, the water is colorless. It has the blue color because it’s reflecting the sky’s color.”

 

“Hmmm…” She sounded understood. “Then, what color should we put when we draw water?”

 

That question was making me laughed. I had no idea about the substitute color for water. “I don’t know.”

 

“But then, can I ask you something?” She asked me.

 

I nodded. But I realized that she couldn’t see. So I replied her, “Yes.” Sometimes, I thought that Seon-yul wasn’t blind.

 

“What color that you like?”

 

I smiled. “I like Black and White.”

 

“Why?”

 

Another naïve question from her that had never failed to make me smile. “Because the colors are natural and elegant.”

 

She frowned. “Do you really think Black is elegant?” She asked as she pursed her lips.

 

I scoffed in amusement with her question. “Why do you ask that? Do you even know what kind of color black is?”

 

She nodded. “It’s the color of the world where I live in.”

 

My smile and my amusement had disappeared within a sentence that she said. Somehow I started to feel guilty toward her.

 

Then she continued her speech. “And white is opposite color of black. So I always imagine that white is the color of light.”

 

“Sorry.” I told her as I dropped my gaze.

 

Then I could hear her gave a slight chuckle.

 

“It’s fine.” She told me then she took deep a breath as she touched the piano keys again. “Ah, I guess we better to start working again.”

 

“Yes, we are.” I replied her then stood up.

 

She stood up too and raised her hand to find my arm. I took her hand and rounded her hand on my arm.

 

“Thank you.” She said softly to me.

 

I just smiled. “You’re welcome.” I replied her then walked with her. As I walked, I looked at her and smiled because of our conversation earlier.

 

Ah, how can I not like this girl?

 

Shin Seon-yul is adorable and loveable girl for me.

 

---

Update~ But so sorry if this chapter is lame~ T____T

Thank you so much for reading, subscribing, commenting and loving this fic. Enjoy the fic, everyone~