Dinner

Married to My Best Friend?!

Myungsoo and Chaeyeon sat together at the table the next day during dinner, silent.

 

"Did anything happen yesterday?" Myungsoo questioned her.

 

"No, nothing new. What about you? Why didn't you come home yesterday?" she replied.

 

She's not telling me about Kyungsoo? he thought.

 

"Oh. I fell asleep at work. They gave me a lot of things to do yesterday," he chuckled.

 

The room became extremely quiet and awkward, as they had nothing to talk about.

 

"Look," Chaeyeon said as she broke the silence. "Can we go back to before? Like when we were best friends? Why does the atmosphere around us have to be so odd all the time?"

 

"Maybe, if you stop liking me," he replied, knowing inside that she did already. He just wanted to see if she would come clean about her new relationship.

 

"Maybe I did," she replied shortly.

 

"Wae? Did you find a new guy?" he continued to interrogate her.

 

"Like who," she replied as her eyes narrowed.

 

"Kyung maybe?" he wiggled his eyebrows.

 

Uh oh. I think he's onto me. "What are you talking about? We're just really close friends," she chuckled, trying to hide her nervousness.

 

"Are you cheating on me?" he stared at her.

 

"N-no.. What makes you think that?" she looked down.

 

"Well, you're being super nervous and paranoid. I'm going to tell our parents tonight if you don't tell me right now." Chaeyeon could feel his eyes boring into her skull.

 

"Fine! I am dating Kyungsoo as of yesterday. You better keep your mouth shut. Also, you're a cheater too. You're still dating Hyosung, even though you promised to break up with her at our wedding!" she shouted, as her voice got louder by the second. She stormed out of the dining room.

 

"At least I don't keep it as a secret!" he called after her. He sighed, as he realized that she was really pissed.

 

*           *            *

 

"Kyung, I can't go to our date today. Mian! My parents are coming over, and I can't shock them with the news of our relationship yet. My parents don't want me to fall in love at the moment," she sighed as she could feel his pout over the phone.

 

"Aww. Let's go tomorrow then!" his eyes lightened up.

 

"Ok!" she exclaimed as she became happy again.

 

*           *            *

 

Chaeyeon walked into Youngjae's unlocked house, without knocking or ringing a doorbell. Youngjae woke up, hearing some commotion downstairs. He gasped as he quickly got dressed.

 

"Chaeyeon! Why are you here?" he smiled.

 

"I don't know. I'm just really mad at Myungsoo right now," she sighed.

 

"Wae? What did he do this time? Did he reject you again?"

 

"Ani. We're married now, remember?" she said without thinking.

 

"YOU GUYS ARE MARRIED?! WHAT? WHEN?! WHY WASN'T I INVITED?!" Youngjae half shouted at her, as she realized she just said it out loud.

 

"Chaeyeon, you got married? To who?" Sunmi rubbed her eyes.

 

"Sunmi! Put some clothes on!" Chaeyeon exclaimed, covering her eyes.

 

"What. I have a bra and underwear on. Does that not count as clothes?" she replied, shamelessly. "Anyways, who?" she asked, full of curiosity.

 

"Myungsoo. She's married to Myungsoo. Can you believe we weren't invited to their wedding?" Youngjae just complained.

 

"Guys!! Don't talk about it! Please! No one knows, and they can't. Especially Kyungsoo."

 

"Why can't Kyungsoo know?" Sunmi blurted out.

 

"Because! Because he asked me to be his girlfriend yesterday, and I said yes. Myungsoo asked about it today, and he ended up finding out about Kyungsoo. Besides, he's still dating Hyosung, so is it so wrong for me to date?" Chaeyeon said, frustrated.

 

"No way. A two timer married to another two timer," Youngjae just said, in disbelief.

 

"My parents can't find out about this, so please don't tell anyone any of this," Chaeyeon begged.

 

*           *            *

 

Hyosung wondered about Myungsoo. Why he wasn't with her all the time, why he always kept quiet about his personal life. She dialed his number and held the phone to her ear.

 

Ring, ring, ring. The person you called is not available right now. Please leave a message after the beep. Beeee-

 

Hyosung hung up without leaving a voicemail. What is he doing right now?

 

*           *            *

 

Chaeyeon prepared dinner that she was going to have with her parents and her in-laws. She set the table. In a couple of minutes, the parents would be home. Two warm arms wrapped around her waist. She turned around, and it was Myungsoo.

 

"What are you doing now.." she sighed.

 

"Sorry for today," he said. He turned her head to face him, and he had a pout on his face.

 

"Whatever.." she replied. "Can't you just go away and come back when our parents come?"

 

"Didn't you use to love when I did this in the past?" he said, ignoring her and hugging her once again, but tighter.

 

"Well, of course. But it's not like you liked me or anything. So I don't even care anymore. Shoo."

 

Myungsoo reluctantly let go and went upstairs, with his head down.

 

*           *            *

 

Ding dong. The parents ended up coming later than expected. Myungsoo and Chaeyeon stood up and hugged them all.

 

"Umma! Appa!" Chaeyeon exclaimed happily.

 

"Let's eat now. I'm so hungry!" Myungsoo's dad said, sitting down. Everyone else just chuckled and sat down themselves.

 

"So, how's living together? Not too bad, right? Considering you guys are best friends," Myungsoo's mom commented.

 

"Uhh. It's alright, I guess. I mean like I already got used to it, so it doesn't matter," Chaeyeon replied, not wanting to continue talking about Myungsoo. "And Eomeonim, didn't you ask this like 2 years ago?"

 

"I just like hearing about how you're adjusting," Myungsoo's mom grinned and continued to scoop rice into .

 

"Didn't you use to like Myungsoo in the past?" Myungsoo's dad blurted out.

 

Chaeyeon choked on the galbi she cooked for dinner. "A-ah. Ne," she answered awkwardly, as Myungsoo patted her back.

 

"Where's our grandchildren?" Myungsoo's dad asked bluntly.

 

It was Myungsoo's turn to choke. "ANIYO!" he said loudly, thinking about what he did with Hyosung the other day.

 

"Okay, okay!" Myungsoo's dad said.

 

"Honey, is your marriage really going well?" Chaeyeon's mom asked worriedly, turning to Chaeyeon.

 

"Ne. Of course. Waeyo?" she said.

 

"You make it seem like it's going terrible. What's happening?" Her mom asked, again.

 

Chaeyeon knew she couldn't tell the parents about her new boyfriend, or even Hyosung. "Nothing! I swear it's going well."

 

"Yeah, right," her dad rolled his eyes sarcastically, joking.

 

"Really!" she exclaimed, pulling Myungsoo in for a kiss. Myungsoo's eyes opened widely.

 

"Why is Myungsoo so surprised?" Chaeyeon's mom said, all the parents chuckling.

 

"Because I loved it," he replied shortly. He kicked Chaeyeon's leg under the table.

 

"OW!" she whispered loudly. Chaeyeon looked over at Myungsoo. Making sure the parents weren't watching, Myungsoo gave her looks. Why'd you do that? I have a girlfriend, you know.

 

She eyeballed him back. Mian, I panicked. Why'd you say you loved the kiss then? She narrowed her eyes at him.

 

Because our parents think we love each other! What am I supposed to do?! He looked at her. 

 

"Ahem." Myungsoo's dad looked at them. They looked up to see all the parents watching their silent conversation. "Want to explain what you guys are talking about?"

 

"A-aniyo! It's nothing!" Chaeyeon panicked again.

 

"Whatever," Chaeyeon's dad said as all the adults rolled their eyes simultaneously.