Chapter 9

Puzzle of Love

 

“Myungsoo-ah!” Sungyeol called.

Myungsoo turned and his eyes landed on the petite lady Sungyeol was holding hands with. She had black shoulder-length hair, high cheek bones, braces, and fair-skin. Moreover, she had a cute appearance.

He closed the distance between the couple and him and bowed. “H-hey…” he said faintly.

“Myungsoo, Patricia’s my girlfriend now,” Sungyeol beamed and squeezed her hand. “I know it’s a lot for you to process since you’ve just returned from Jeju... But, while you were gone…” Sungyeol flushed. “We started dating during our second year in high school…”

“I see…” he said with eyes still glued to Patricia.

Sungjong, who was present at the scene, watched Myungsoo warily as he knew something Sungyeol didn’t. “Hyung…” he murmured.

Myungsoo glanced at Sungjong who noticed a trace of disappointment on his face. He turned back his attention to the couple and after a flustered bow, Myungsoo left the couple.

“Ya,” Sungyeol grabbed his shoulder. “Aren’t you going to congratulate us??”

“Do I have to?” Myungsoo smirked as he shrugged off Sungyeol’s hand. “It’s up to me if I feel like congratulating you.” Flustered, he walked away.

**

“I’ve liked her since Freshman year!” Myungsoo whined. “I’ve like her back then! But why does Sungyeol have to date her?! Why?! I like her a lot… can’t he see that?!”

“Hyung…” Sungjong comforted. “It’s partially your fault since you only told me and Hoya about this…”

“How is it my fault?! I tell who I want to tell… And I didn’t want to tell Sungyeol ‘cause he’s close to her…” He buried his head in his hands. “But, I didn’t know they were this close…”

“Hyung, if you have let all of us know… maybe it wouldn’t be like this…” Sungjong chided.

“Yeah, maybe. But, maybe is a 50:50 thing. It could still be like this or not. Plus…It won’t change the fact that I like Patricia.”

“Y-you… like P-patricia…?” Sungyeol squeaked. He happened to be behind them.

“What are you doing here?” Myungsoo said firmly.

“Getting a glass of water for …her,” he said.

“Well, leave immediately after you’re done.”

This is my place too, you know.”

“Look Sungyeol,” Myungsoo glared. “Can you not talk to me for a while?! You’re making me furious.”

“Hey! It’s not my fault Patricia likes me!”

Myungsoo abruptly stood up and threw a punch at Sungyeol’s face. “Hyung!” Sungjong stopped Myungsoo before he could throw another one.

“What’s going on?! Can’t you see we’re studyi—Sungyeol-ah!” Dongwoo raced to Sungyeol. “Ya! Gweanchana?! Ya Myungsoo! What’s wrong with you?!”

“Aish! What’s—What the…What happened?! Sungyeol…” Sunggyu’s voice faltered.

“Why? What’s—Omo!” Woohyun gasped.

“Myungsoo-hyung…” Hoya’s eyebrows furrowed. “You’ve gone overboard…”

 

**

Myungsoo’s eyes opened wide as he woke up from his dream. He felt his heart race out of fear and nervousness as he had dreamt about what has happened in the past.

“…Gweanchana?” his roommate, Dongwoo, asked.

“…You’re still awake?”

“Duh. Do you think you can wake me up?” He chuckled.

“Oh right… Sorry. Forgot you were a heavy sleeper…”

“It’s fine,” he said. “But what woke you up? Nightmares?”

Myungsoo nodded. “How about you? What’s keeping you awake…?”

“Patricia,” he said plainly.

“Oh,” Myungsoo froze. “I see…”

“You know… I hated it a lot… How she was able to ruin our friendship…” He said. “You and Sungyeol liking her… it ruined us, yet she has the guts to come back to Seoul…”

“He’s gonna have to come back sooner or later… What is she? Indonesian? Hyung, she’s Korean, she has to come back to Seoul sooner or later. This is her home.”

“I know Myungsoo-ah,  but you won’t let her destroy our friendship again right? Even though I can see you still have …feelings for her…”

“You can’t control feelings hyung. You can’t.”

“I know, but… You shouldn’t let it take over you…”

“I’m going back to sleep…” Myungsoo said firmly as he put his blanket over him and shut his eyes closed.

‘Patricia…’