That smile

Puzzle of Love

 

 You have been crushing on Sungyeol for about two to three days now. And, guess what? You still can’t help but feel guilty. Why? It’s simply because you rejected a close friend because you have a thing for his older brother. Though it wasn’t exactly like that, it still has the same thought.

**

It was another week in school and right now, all the students of Woolim High are gathered together for the weekly flag ceremony. And, as usual, your eyes end up wandering around looking for that particular guy.

Now, since Lee Sungyeol, Kim Myungsoo, and the rest of the school’s favorite kingkas—a.k.a. INFINITE—are all together in the same year, most of their girl-admirers end up having their eyes glued to one particular area: the junior boys’ line—which is usually located at the left side of your lane.

 Being one of the ‘fan-girls’, you had your eyes warily searching for him. ‘Where’s he?’  You thought. ‘He’s probably at the end of the line again right?’

“~~~~~~~,” your adviser called quietly. “Stop looking around. Pay attention!” she hissed.

“N-neh!” you nodded and followed.

However, after a while… your eyes began wandering again.

Warily searching, you finally found Sungyeol.

He was together with Myungsoo and Dongwoo at the end of their line. Sungyeol was doing an ‘owl-face’ while Dongwoo tried his best to hold his laughter. Though in the midst of what was happening, Myungsoo had his eyes on you. He snickered as he caught you gazing at Sungyeol.

Alarmed that he saw you practically ogling his best friend, you immediately looked away.

Amused, Myungsoo chuckled.

 

“Ya Myungsoo! Did you see that?” Dongwoo silently chuckled.

Snapping out of his trance, Myungsoo shot them a puzzled look. “Did I see …what?”

“The owl-face!”

Oh,” he nodded. “I think…”

“LOL,” Sungyeol laughed. “He wasn’t paying any attention! He was obviously in his own world!” Dongwoo chuckled and shared a hi-five with him.

“What caught your attention anyways? What were you looking at?” Dongwoo nudged him.

“…Just something amusing,” Myungsoo smirked then eyed Sungyeol.

Mystified, Sungyeol blinked. “…What?”

“Nothing,” Myungsoo shooed the thought away. He then glanced back to look at you. Seeing you still eyeing him, he smirked.

‘SUNGYEOL,’ he mouthed to you in a tease manner as he pointed him.

Seeing what Myungsoo was doing, you grew irked by the moment. Clearly, you thought that he was making it a lot obvious.

You gritted your teeth and shot him a flustered look. Amused, Myungsoo laughed.

“What was that for? Why’re you pointing?” Sungyeol asked confused.

 “Oh, nothing.” Myungsoo replied as he was still watching you.

Dongwoo, who was left out at the moment, pondered at Myungsoo who had a wide grin spread across his face.

**

Flustered, you hobbled your way across the hallway. “Jeez that guy!!” you muttered under your breath. “He was making it obvious! Argh!”

Who was making it obvious?” someone suddenly said behind you.

“Eep!” you shrieked startled.

Myungsoo amusedly laugh.

“It’s not funny!” You shot him a scornful look.

“On the contrary, it is.”

“Psh! Whatever…” you muttered.

“You know,” Myungsoo blurted. “You should pay attention every time we have our flag ceremony. It’s not so nice to be staring at your crush, now, is it?” he teased.

“Grr…” you grunted. “Psh! You weren’t paying attention as well!!”

“But still,” he reasoned. “It’s a different story. I wasn’t ogling at someone, while you were.”

“So!?”

“So,” he smirked. “You’re gonna make it too obvious that way. So, I suggest you don’t look at him that much.”

“Hey!!” you hissed. “I wasn’t making it obvious!! You were!!”

“I know.”

You gawked at him. “Then if you knew you were making it obvious, why were you still doing it?!”

“I don’t know… Maybe because your reactions are priceless? Amusing? Funny? Entertaining?”

‘This guy… grr!’ you mentally gave him a punch.

“Nah!” he quickly added. “Just kidding. I just had nothing to do… I didn’t mean to frustrate you or anything. I didn't even know why I did that.”

“Rigghht…” you sarcastically muttered.

“Though the teasing part was kinda on purpose…”

“Y-ya!!”

“Okay! Okay!” he raised his hands as if in surrender. “Don’t worry. I assure you, your secret’s safe with me. Trust me, okay? I won’t be the one to let Sungyeol know.”

Somehow, his tone of voice and the way his eyes were looking into yours, made you calm down and believe him.

“Believe me,” he continued. “I won’t make it obvious, and I won’t tell anyone.”

As doubt left, you finally felt at ease.

“Okay,” you crossed your arms huffily. “Just be sure.”

He nodded and laughed. He flashed you a warm smile and lightly patted your shoulder, "Don't worry too much, 'kay?"

Just that, then he finally went away. 

Seeing him smile that way at you for the very first time, you paused.

‘Somehow,’ you thought. ‘Even though he got me seriously annoyed… there’s definitely something about him that’s keeping me from getting angry… It’s as if it’ll be impossible for me to hate him… Especially because of that smile…’