The, 'you're just like a sister/brother to me' lie

Puzzle of Love

 

You were on the school’s terrace. Your eyes were fixed on the students below you, but your stares were blank. These days, you have been starting to be unsure of yourself—about how you feel.

 He’s just like an older brother to me, you thought. And I’m nothing more but a sister to him.

With your elbows on the parapet and with your chin resting on your palms, you sighed. You were beginning to wonder why you even cared. You like who you like, so why even bother; but the thing is…the ‘like’ you’re feeling right now seems confusing.

 

After a few minutes, you turned around and your heart leaped the moment you saw Myungsoo. He was leaning on the wall with his gaze fixed on you.

Warily, you bowed your head, “Annyeong…oppa.”

He just blinked and flashed you a small smile. Before you knew it, he walked up to you.

“You seemed …troubled just a little while ago,” he began, “what’s wrong?”

“I don’t know,” you shrugged. “I just…” you paused. “I…don’t know. I’m confused.”

“Of how you feel?”

You glanced at him, “What made you say that?”

“Well,” he shrugged. “I mean, you can’t possibly frown and emote like that just because you’re confused about the lessons your teachers teach you.” He glanced at you and your heart did those silly movements again. “So,” he added, “obviously your emoting would most likely have to do with conflicting emotions. Your confusion would probably have something to do with your feelings.”

You glanced at him and the both of you locked eyes. The way he had his gaze fixed on you took your breath away.

“I guess you’re right,” you finally said, looking away.

“Does it have something to do with Sungyeol?” He blurted.

Your face grew pallid.

“So it does,” he nodded. “…You still like him, huh?”

You glanced at him and scrutinized his poker face. He didn’t show that much facial expressions, but you can sense a hint of disappointment in his eyes.

“Why?” you finally asked.

“I don’t know,” he shrugged. “I guess…it just crossed my mind.”

You nodded.

“And,” he blurted.

“And?” you asked.

“I don’t know,” he shrugged. “It’s just…whenever I see you with him, I feel this weird feeling grow inside of me.” He locked eyes with you. “I don’t know if it’s annoyance or possessiveness, but there’s something about the way he looks at you that makes me want to get you away from him.”

Your heart fluttered at what he just have said; but you felt your heart twinge twice as much the moment he added:

“I guess it’s because you’re just like a little sister to me…”

Though Myungsoo has said that, he knew more than anything that it wasn’t true.  

Well, it wasn’t... at least not anymore.