Myungsoo-oppa?

Puzzle of Love

 

Your class was finally dismissed and you found yourself roaming around the corridors of school.

 A smile lit up your face as you spotted a familiar figure ahead of you. He had his elbows on the school’s parapet as he rested his chin on his palms. He gazed blankly into the sunset and you warily approached him.

“Hey,” you beamed.

Snapping out of his daze, he turned to you. “You always disturb my alone time,” Myungsoo joked.

“Not really, I just went to greet you…” you shyly folded your hands on the parapet. “So, what’s up?”

“Drama.”

 “Seriously?”

“Maybe,” he smiled.

“You know, if this is a drama… you’re going to be some mysterious character… Hahaha! I’m sure that’ll fit you!”

“Tss…” He grinned and ruffled your hair. “Whatever you say…”

“Oppa… are you sad?”

He paused. “Oppa?”

“Oh, I mean, Sunbae. Sorry, I didn’t mean to call you—“

“No,” he cut off your words. “It’s fine. You can call me oppa… I’ve never had a younger sister before anyways…” He let out a sigh. “And, I won’t mind having one…”

“Well,” you grinned. “You can call me your li’l sister then! I’ve always wanted an older brother anyways…”

“Then the feeling’s mutual…” he laughed and patted your head. “From now on, you’ll be just like a little sister to me.”

“I’d like that,” you beamed.

**

“You know how it feels? To like your best friend’s girlfriend?” Myungsoo blurted. “I don’t know if I’m just really self-centered or everyone else’s just like this… but you know, my best friend sacrificed love for friendship… all for me.”

You stood there beside him as you sensed his gloomy aura. His eyes had an obvious trace of disappointment, and his eyebrows were furrowed. He had forced himself to smile all along as he didn’t want you to see the worse of him.  Unfortunately for him, you saw right through his façade.

He turned to face you, “It’s too obvious isn’t it?” he sighed. “It’s too much to hide…”

You searched his lonely eyes. ‘So he’s been going through a lot… No wonder he doesn’t open up to people as much as Sungyeol does… No wonder he’s always so mysterious and distant…’

 “~~~~~~~-ah…” He interrupted your thoughts. “Can you do me a favor and listen to my rants? Just once?” He pleaded. “Please…?”

You nodded and let out a small sigh. “Sure, go ahead. I’ll be a good listener.”

**

“You know my biggest regret?” He asked.

You shook your head.

“It’s fighting Sungyeol…” he continued as his eyes grew lonelier and had an even more obvious trail of regret. “Just because we liked the same girl...”

‘That must have been hard…’ you thought.

“To think that the girl I’m in love with likes him… It’s hard you know? Plus… we’re like brothers… I mean, the girl I like, liking my brother!! That’s—that’s just harsh!!”

You swallowed.

You knew that somehow you’ve committed the same sin. You did end up liking the brother of the close friend that confessed to you. You did end up liking Sungyeol instead of his brother Daeyeol. Somehow, being reminded of that made you feel guilty.

“There’s this time, that I came back from Jeju and he just brings Patricia over to tell me that they’ve started dating. You know how much pain I’ve felt?! That hurt me a lot!”

“…Did Sungyeol know that you like her too…?”

“Well, no…”

“Then maybe if you had told him earlier he—“

“Hey, I asked you to listen, not to scold.”

“Sorry…”

“Anyways, I did tell my friends… But only Hoya and Sungjong… The rest didn’t… Plus, if I were to tell all seven of them that I liked Patricia it would cause a commotion… I mean, before hand they already knew Sungyeol likes her… It’d be a big mistake to let them know I like the same girl…” he sat down and hugged his knees.

You sat down with him. “Oppa, but they’re still your friends…”

“I know… and Sungyeol proved that.” He said. “When he found out that I like Patricia… we had a bit of an argument… I grew jealous and I ended up punching him… I regret that. I really do. Because of that punch, the seven of us started fighting and started taking sides… For days… we didn’t eat together. All because of that one stupid punch.”

“…Er, how does that make Sungyeol prove anything?”

“Wait, let me finish.”

“Okay…”

“After a week, Sungyeol came over to me and apologized. He said he was sorry for not realizing that I liked Patricia too… He actually broke up with her for me. He said that I was more important. He said that the seven of us were more important. He said that he hated all of us fighting more than anything… hence… he broke up with her. Just to stop all of that. Just so all of us can go back to normal…”

“Wow." you said. “Oppa…But if you're back to normal...why do you still look so sad?”

“Because I don’t know what will happen when she actually returns…”

“What? She’ll come back?!”

He nodded. “Do you think…we’re all going to fight again?”

“I don’t know oppa… it all depends on you… if you still have feelings for her…”

“I know…” he forced a smile and lightly patted your shoulder. “Anyways, let’s go now. I’ll walk my li’l sis home.”

“Huh? Oh!" you gasped when you saw the time. "It's already 6pm..."

"Come on, I'll walk you home..." 

"No it’s fine, you don’t have to—“

“No, it’s okay. I insist. Let me bring you home… you listened to me after all…”

“Okay… Thank you…” you hesitantly said. "But-Ugh... Never mind."

“Tsk! You’re welcome.” He chuckled as he offered to carry your things for you. “I’m your oppa after all…”

 “Yes. Yes, you are.” You beamed. ‘Though I’m not used to Myungsoo being this nice to me… It’s new, yet wonderful. He’s the first ever guy to actually offer me a walk home… He’s awfully nice… To think that he’s actually letting me feel the warmth of an older brother I’ve never had…’