Emergency Department

Another Truth

AUTHOR POV

After Eunji have punched him on the face. She heard the young man say: "I just wanted to tell that you dropped this on the ground." She turned to him and recognized him. "You're..." She bit her bottom lip. The other young man in front came to her and tapped her shoulder. "I'm suprised that this is how we meet after 7 years." He said. "J... Or should I say, Minhyuk." Eunji said and forced a smile at the man who got hit by her.

AT COFFEE POP

"It's been a long time. How are you doing?" J asked Eunji, while Latte was resting besides her feet. "Your fighting skills have gotten better." He commented. Meanwhile, L.Joe stood besides the counter, then Daehyun approached him. "HA, jealous?" He asked. 

Daeun was cleaning the table and looked at Eunji's direction. It was the second time she has seen this man. The first time was few days ago, almost near the closing time, he came in and spoke for a while with the boss in the back.

"I'm good. Of course they continue to improve, I'm always training." Eunji said and laughed lightly. "You seem alright." J said and looked at his friend, Eunji was only taking a sip from her iced coffee. "The guy you hit earlier..." He started to say, to change the subject.

"He went to work, he said he need to hurry back there." Eunji explained. "I see." Minhyuk said. "So he work in the hospital as you." She nodded. "And him also." J said and looked at L's direction and waved at him. L who just went to buy something came back into the coffee shop was surprised that Minhyuk was here.

"Him also." Eunji said. 

"I really thought you would join the police force, just now, the way you arrested the thief, it was great." Minhyuk said and took a sip of his hot coffee. "I never thought I would be a doctor either." She replied. "I thought I would be like my father, but I think I went to my mom's path." 

Minhyuk nodded. "Let's talk another time, I need to go to work." Eunji said and stood up, after she looked at her watch, followed by J. "Alright. I will come here often." Minhyuk said with a smile. "I can drive you." The friend then offered. Chanyeol came besides the three who were standing for a while, staring at Eunji and Minhyuk talking togheter. 

"It's fine, I will stay for a bit longer ." Eunji said and Minhyuk nodded. "Alright, I will treat you dinner. See you." He said to Eunji and friendly hugged her. "I will go then." He said and waved at everyone. 

"What's wrong?" Daehyun asked Daeun who came back from cleaning the table.

"What is he?"

"Minhyuk?" He asked. "A very old friend of Eunji. A police officer. Trust me, his hacking skills are on point." He said and L.Joe nodded with a laugh. "For sure. This sure brings back memories."

 

 

Eunji was once again wearing some heels today since she couldn't go to shop for some shoes. She put on her white coat and walked out of the changing room. On her way to the hallway to go to Wing D then she saw Dr. Shin. "Nice timing." He said. "Eunji could you go to the emergency department and ask for the document I left there earlier?" He asked and Eunji nodded. 

"Emergency Department?" She thought and bit her lips. "The guy I hit." She said to herself, embarrassed, she covered her eyes for a short moment to chase the thought away. She went back into the changing room to take the eggs and quickly went to the Emergency Department on the first floor.

She was on her way and some interns from other departments bowed at her, respectfully which surprised her, she lightly bowed her head as a response. She was at the entrance, she took a breath before she passed her ID card in front of the identification machine to open the door. She looked around and went to the counter. "Excuse me." Eunji said to a nurse who was searching among a pile of files. "Deh what can I do for you.." A nurse started to say and looked at the name plate on Eunji's coat. "Dr. Park." She finished. 

"I'm here for Chief Shin's document that he left here earlier."

"Deh, wait a moment." She said and walked back to the pile of files. "This is the CT scan for the patient in bed 3. Make sure to give him sleeping pills and pain killer. He cannot eat yet, if everything is fine after the results of the blood test, he may leave." A voice said and Eunji automatically recognized it. She slowly turned to the doctor and forced a smile. "Ohh? Dr. Park." He said, suprised. The nurse came back with the document that Eunji requested. She saw Dr. Tuen and let out a laugh because of the bruise on Mark's right eye. After this rection from the nurse, Eunji felt worst. "Is your eye alright?" She asked and felt guilty. "I guess it is?" He said and smiled. 

"Here are some eggs, you can roll them on your eyes to.. you know?" She said and held out the eggs. "I'm really sorry for this." She said.

"It's alright. I really thought you were a police for a while. The way you caught the thief." He said and Eunji only laughed. "By the way, I'm Mark. We never had a chance to present ourselves properly." 

"Park Eunji." She said and they both shook hand. Her phone started to ring and Eunji quickly answered. "Deh?.. Araseo." She hung up. "Sorry, I need to go up." Eunji said and Mark only smiled.

"I understand, let's talk another time." He said. "Don't forget the file." He held the document to her. "Thank you." She said and quickly ran out of the department. Mark only looked at her, amused. "Dr.Tuen." The nurse called and Mark turned to her. "You're going to do something about your eye right?" She asked and Mark smiled bitterly while his co-worker laughed.

 

Neurosurgery Department

She joined Chief Shin in the room E5-125 and gave him the document. "Thank you." He said and opened the envelope. "What do you think this is?" He asked her and Eunji looked at the scan result held in the air by the Chief. "For initial diagnosis, it shows brain tumor, but the CT scan shows Hydrocephalus." Eunji said and the Chief nodded, satisfied. "I suggest prescribing steroids to relieve the symptoms first." She finished.

"Good job." He said and put away the scan back in the envelope.

Eunji on her way back to the main entrance of the department, met L. "Where have you been?" He asked. "I was in the E wing and I went to the emergency department earlier." She replied. "What's wrong?" She asked and L pulled her with him to the benches. "Sit down." He said and helped her to sit down. "What's wrong?" She asked confusedly. L kneeled down in front of her and took out a box from the bag he was holding. 

"You were wearing these heels and you couldn't even walk in them. You don't even have time for yourself and you just force yourself to use those." L said and took off her heels for her. "Here's some shoes, you can run with these." He said and put on a sock first then a shoe for her and tied the laces. "I can do it myself." 

L stopped her. "I will do it." He insisted. He put the other sock and the shoe on Eunji's foot and tied the laces. "Done." He said and looked at Eunji. "Your feet won't hurt anymore." He said. "You won't lose balance either." 

"Thank you." She said and smiled at him. 

Jr who passed by earlier saw them. He stopped to see what they were doing and noticed that L bought some shoes for Eunji since the heels were hurting her feet. He looked at the bag in his hands and smiled sadly. He then walked away.

 

Police Station

"Where have you been?" Song Joongki asked Minhuk who just came back. "You are late. I heard you were catching a thief but then went somewhere." He continued. "That's not the matters now. Guess who I met?" He asked. "Who?" Joongki asked without leaving his computer screen. "Eunji! She came back." He said. 

"Ah. I know she came back." He said without any emotions. "Why are you being like this?" Minhyuk asked and fall against his chair. "I'm not suprised she have returned since I had dinner with her when she came back." He said. "And now, we can't meet up since we both have work." He said and typed on the keyboard.

"Why didn't I..."

"She asked about you, but that day you weren't here so I just forgot to tell you." He said.

"What you.." Minhyu wanted to say but Joongki stopped him. "Go to work." He ordered and J let out a sigh. 

 

Seoul Medical University Hospital (Main Entrance)

"You told me about your high school classmate being in this hospital. How are you two doing?" Mark asked Jr. "I don't know. We don't know ech other that much and she seem to be very close to her friend." He replied. "What about these shoes?" Mark asked. "The friend bought her these shows too and even put them on for her." He replied.

"Ahh, not a very good situation right?" Jr shook his head. His friend thought for a while. "You should talk to her more. Or even invite her out for dinner, as friends, or something like that." Mark suggested.

"She will like it?'

"Why not?"

"I don't know. She seems different." Jr answered.

"You don't know, so you need to try. Hwaiting." Jr nodded and Mark greeted him. "Rest well." Jr went to the parking lot and went to his car.

 

Neurosurgery Department

Eunji and L were the only residents left in the neurosurgery department and the chief was here also. Hyoyeon went home and will come back around 8 PM, while Jr will be back around 9 PM. The both are lucky to be able to have the same schedule. They knew that they won't have the same luck everytime, and that things will change. Like now, there were only two final year residents in the neurosurgery department, if anything happens, the chief will first react, but if another patient needs a surgery, they can't do it.

Eunji was in the Wing D. She was walking around and keeping eye on the patients.

L was in Wing A, he was also making his round when he noticed something unusual about a patient. He called for a nurse. "Excuse me. Do you have an Lung X-Ray of this patient?" L asked. "Deh Dr. Kim. He got one earlier, I will bring the results for you."

"Thank you." L said and after a few seconds, the nurse came back with an envelope. "Thank you." He said and held the scan under the from the hallway. "Shee has Emphysema, and it got worst." He approached the patient's bed. "Hi, I'm a doctor here." L presented himself to the patient. She held his arm. "Help me Dr." She said and used his stethoscope to listen to her lung. "Inhale... Exhale... One more time." L ordered and he seriously listened to his stethoscope. "Give her some Bronchodilators for now. I will need to discuss with Chief Shin before concluding if she needs a surgery or not."

"Deh Dr. Kim."

L  took the X-Ray with him and went to search for his supervisor. He found him in the Wing B, writing on a patient's chart. "Dr. Shin, you need to see this X-Ray results." L said and the Chief took the scan out of it envelope. "She needs a surgery. Contact the Respiratory Therapy Department. Tell them it's an emergency, then transfer this patient to them." The nurse understood and quickly do as she was ordered to.

 

"How much pain killer do we need to give him again?" A nurse asked Eunji, in the main counter from the main entrance of the neurosurgery department. Eunji approached the patient's chart that the nurse was holding. "The other nurse surely forgot to write it down." She said. "You will.."

On the other side, Chief Shin was telling L what to pay attention in a patient from Wing E. 


Here's a chapter after a month I think? Anyway, hope you enjoy it! Tell me what you think about it, do subscribe and vote! Thank you! The next chapter: Helping Out. Who do you think she will eat with? Stay tuned for any updates!