Painful

Another Truth

*Ring... Ring...*

L.Joe looked at his screen: Chanyeol Hyung. He answered the call through his bluetooth earbuds. "Oh Hyung." He called out, still keeping an eye on the factory worker a little further from his car. And he was keeping an eye on none other than Kwon Sanggyu. He was carrying heavy boxes to the back of a storehouse with other workers. 8:11 PM. He should be getting off work soon. 

"Is everything fine on your part?" Chanyeol asked, while he stood in his balcony, staring at the skylines in the horizon. He turned to look into Eunji's lit room and let out a chuckle. 

"Yeah. He is finishing off his shift soon. Still nothing from the other side." L.Joe reported and took a sip of the coffee he bought earlier, now getting a little colder. "Ah... J managed to hack into your company's system and everything on and before the year of your parents' death have been erased." He reported and Chanyeol nodded, no longer surprised to hear that. He knew there was something that the company was trying to hide... and he doesn't know if his uncle is aware of that or not... 

"Thanks. I will call you back... and be careful." Chanyeol ordered and L.Joe smiled to himself before they hang up. The brother meanwhile remained silent and was wondering if he should bring up the matters to his uncle... Not yet. 

-----

SEOUL MEDICAL UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL

"I cannot believe you two are leaving us soon!" Hyoyeon complained and tilted her head. Tonight it was Eunji and Hyoyeon that were on duty. "Which specialty are you planning to do anyways?" She asked and Eunji shrugged.

"Cardio?" L was most particularly interested in the Neurosurgery Department. But for Eunji, she was more into the heart... and of course, to later on reach her goal: becoming a medical examiner. This was however her little secret that she had yet told anyone. L asked for a few days off because his parents are deciding to go onto a vacation, and he wanted to spend some time with them.

"Aiie...." Hyoyeon pursed her lips together but quickly recover and smiled to her junior. “Don’t worry. Do something that you like never let anyone influence your choices.” She said and patted her shoulder. 

“Eonni... why are you so kind to me?”

”Hmm... I like you. You look like someone I met at the hospital before.” Their conversation was interrupted by their pager—an emergency. Hyoyeon and Eunji looked at each other before quickly rushing to the Neurosurgery Department.

”Son!” A middle-aged woman called out as tears ran down her cheeks, while she slowly fell down on the floor. A nurse from the Neurosurgery Department quickly came to give her some support, helping her up. “Help him please.... Help him!” She cried while one of the three nurses came to Hyoyeon and Eunji. 

“Dr. Kim, Dr. Park, there is a patient who went into cardio arrest... he just got out of a surgery.” She reported and the two doctors quickly ran into the patient’s room. There was already a nurse doing compression. Without losing more time, Eunji prepared the defibrillator for Hyoyeon to use. 

“100 joules.” Everyone went away from the patient before the electric wave hit the patient. The heartbeat quickly came back. “Prepare for a MRI scan. I’m afraid it is a post-surgery complication.” Hyoyeon ordered and turned to Eunji. “Be on standby for a surgery, I will contact Chief Jang who is on the other side.” Eunji nodded and the cry of the woman still resonated through the entire floor. 

Tonight for some reasons, seeing this middle-aged woman cry for her son, made me want to call my brother and uncle. 

Eunji was by the entrance of the Neurosurgery Department, at the nurses' desk after she had patrolled through the entire floor. Hyoyeon and Chief Jang were in the operation room on the other side of the floor. "Dr. Park." Called a nurse named Choyong. Eunji turned to her. "Are you alright?" She asked and the doctor nodded before the phone started to ring. 

"Hello?" 

"Dr. Park." Mark called and Eunji's heavy feelings slowly disappeared. "May I know the reason why our dear Dr. Park seem so tired?" He asked and Eunji's eyebrows furrowed before she looked up to see the young man holding up the phone to wave at her. Choyong's eyes glanced towards the young male doctor from the E.R. Department. Her lips formed an "o" before looking down on her file, nodding in acknowledgment. 

Eunji went to meet him by the entrance. "Why are you here Dr. Tuan?" She asked him.

He thought for a while. "Hmm... I think I got lost, and my heart lead me to the Neurosurgery Department, there I found you.” He replied and Eunji let out a laugh. He smiled. “It was pretty bad huh?” He asked and grimaced.

”Yes, it was bad.” She replied but was now laughing.

”Dr. Park, what’s wrong?” He asked caringly and Eunji let out a sigh. “I know this sigh.” Mark said and crossed his arms on his chest. “It's alright." He simply told her and this surprisingly was all she needed to hear. 

Choyong the nurse glanced up from the desk to look at Eunji and Mark’s directions. They were talking quietly and she couldn’t clearly hear what they were saying but it seemed that the dark aura that surrounded Dr. Park was now gone. ‘Are they dating?’ She asked.

”Ohh...” Mark continued and pulled out a pack of herbal tea. “Have this, it’s gonna help you last the whole shift.” He said and gently patted her head. “Everything will be fine Dr. Park.” He assured her and Eunji smiled at him.

”Thank you, Dr. Tuan.” She said and the E.R. Doctor returned her smile. He noticed the nurse’s eyes on them, and he waved at her before he took his leave. 

“See you later?” Mark asked and Eunji nodded.

When she returned to her seat, Choyong’s eyes were glued on her. “Dr. Park.” She called and Eunji turned to her. “You’re dating Dr. Tuan?” She asked and Eunji shook her head. 

“No we aren’t.” She replied quickly in case there will be rumours circulating around the hospital.

”But it seems like there is something going on between you two...” she commented with a smirk. She snapped her fingers. “Was that why he never paid attention to any other female employees at the hospital? So he likes Dr. Park’s kinda type of women.” She nodded to herself.

”It’s really not like that...” Eunji tried to convince the nurse, but she seemed to have already make up her mind. 

“I won’t tell anyone.” She said and motioned the quiet sigh with her hand. Eunji could simply uncomfortably nod. She held up the herbal tea pack, slightly smiling to herself. Choyong noticed her expression and shook her head amused by the doctor’s efforts, trying to conceal everything.

The remaining of the night had been quite calm and when Eunji’s shift finally ended, Hyoyeon and her gave their tasks to Jr and Chief Shin. On the way to the lobby, the main entrance of the hospital, Hyoyeon offered a ride to Eunji who kindly rejected the offer. ”I’m fine Eonnie. I will just take the bus.” Eunji assured her senior. 

”Really? Alright then. See you!” Hyoyeon said and Eunji walked out of the elevator to run right into Mark. “Oh? Dr. Tuan.” Hyoyeon called out. ”Are you done for the day? Where are you going?” She asked and Mark cleared his throat. Eunji pursed her lips together awkwardly. He was waiting for her... She was texting him before she entered the eleva

”I thought I saw someone I know earlier, entering the elevator.” He explained. “I must have mistaken... Ah... Dr. Park aren’t you also taking the bus?” Eunji looked at the time and nodded. 

”Go catch you buses!” Hyoyeon waved at them. The two left in a hurry before the neurosurgeon let out a snort. ”Aie... they aren’t trying hard enough to hide it.” She commented and shook her head while smiling, while the elevator’s door closed itself, leaving Eunji and Mark’s backs rushing towards the main entrance. 

“Dr. Tuan, we’re still early for the bus aren’t we?” Eunji noticed and Mark laughed before turning to her. 

”Outside of the hospital, shouldn’t we call each other by our names? If you don’t like it, you can also call me oppa.” He said and continued, answering her question. ”My watch is usually set 5 minutes in advance. So I can be on time... and this time, I can see important people earlier.” He said and Eunji shook her head,  disapproving the cheesiness in his words.

”Aren’t we still considered in the hospital?” She asked. ”I guess I can make use of that extra 5 minutes." She replied and they sat down on the bench while waiting for the bus to come. 

"Right, you still owe me a meal. I am off this Saturday, are you?" He asked and Eunji nodded. "Great. I will be reserving your entire day on Saturday then, I will message you about the details Friday." He mysteriously told her and Eunji squinted her eyes together. Mark laid his index on his lips, while he smiled.

PARK HOUSEHOLD

”Uncle..." Chanyeol called and his uncle turned to him. Chanyeol's expression wasn't the brightess and he seemed like he wasn't in a good mood either, almost like he was angry. 

"What's wrong?" He asked and put down his coffee mug on the kitchen table. 

Chanyeol let out a snort. "What is wrong? Shouldn't I be the one asking you this question? I had always wondered, why did you show up at the orphanage few weeks later after mom and dad's accident... After Eunji got adopted... Why was she never found?! Oh? What are these?" Chanyeol threw a few files on the kitchen table, and with just a quick glance, Taejoon knew that his nephew had been trying to find out what happened to his parents... his brother, back then. "Don't tell me you'r involved in their death." He accused him and his uncle glared at him. 

"Park Chanyeol! I might not have the best intentions at the beginning towards your parents but I would never EVER caused Joong Woo nor Seohyeon any harm!" His uncle yelled back. Realizing he had already said too much, he took a deep breath to calm himself down.

"Not the best intentions..." Chanyeol repeated to himself in disappointment. "What exactly do you mean?!" He asked and Taejoon passed his hand through his face. 

"Don't get me wrong Chanyeol-ah. I love both you and Eunji like my own children. Really. You two had taught me so much... But know that, nothing in this world is free." The uncle said. "I was the bad sheep of the family. Your father, my brother, Joong Woo had everything. My parent's love, the brain, the face, the skills and all women are head over heels for him. I met your mother first one time when I got into an accident a few years before your parents got married."

TAEJOON'S FLASHBACK (TAEJOON'S POV)

The ambulance rushed over to the nearest hospital while I was half-conscious. "How is the patient's condition?" A voice asked and for that one moment, I opened my eyes and met your mother's eyes for a moment before I passed out. When I woke up, I was already in a hospital room, while she stood besides the bed writing on the patient's chart. "Mr. Park. My name is Gong Seohyeon, I will be in charged of you during your stay at the hospital." She greeted me when she noticed the slight movement in my fingers. "You're still under anaesthetics which could affect your speech, awareness..."

"Dr. Gang... you're very beautiful. Do you think this is affected by the medications?" I asked her which she only replied with a laugh. 

"I will get going now Mr. Park. And I thank you for your kind words." She bowed and put down the patient's chart before walking out of the room. That was also the moment I got a call from my father. And yes. I got yelled at a lot, while I listened, although my head was killing me at that time after your mother left. And never for once, did your grandfather asked me how I was. 

Your father was the only one who visited me that night. At least I got a visit from a family member. *laugh* When I got discharged from the hospital a 2 weeks later, I came back regularly to meet your mom, and try to pursue her. But I think destiny did't wanted that because I was rejected everytime. She refused to go have a meal with me, telling me that it is bad to be associated to her own patient, that she didn't want any rumours. At that time, Joong Woo was starting off with his company without the help of our parents, and I have to say, it was really successful, because it had gotten bigger and bigger. On the day of my last appointment to the hospital, your father came to the hospital to find me, and that was when he met your mother. 

"Hello?" Joong Woo answered the call, but the signal seemed to be bad because of the machinery in the hospital. "Sorry the signal is really bad from where I am right now." He said and accidentally bumped into someone's shoulder. A sleeve button fell off from his suit shirt. "I'm so sorry." He bowed to Seohyeon and he continued his way after Seohyeon nodded at him. She noticed the button on the floor that resembled the one on his sleeves.

They met later on when Seohyeon was offered to give a speech at Joong Woo's new starting company, and... like in a drama, she gave the button back. A love story was born. Of course, this doesn't answer any of your questions yet. Now, on the year where your parents got married, your grandparents weren't doing well. They were getting old and it seemed like they won't last for long. We were pretty comfortable in our lives back then and when they finally passed away, they left everything for your father and mother. At that point, your father's company have reached foreign countries where he was able to really be called successful. On my side, it was the lowest point in my life, because I felt useless and I was extremely jealous of my brother, who had always won in everything he did. But I was also very grateful of him, because he hired me. He wanted me to work hard to attain what I wanted to be by having me start as an intern in one of the Department. Looking back, I wouldn't be who I am today without your father's help.

END OF FLASHBACK

"These documents happened after your father passed away. The following months following the death of the Park Corp., everything was a mess. And I had to do something. You see, I was also scared because at that time, I was away in a business trip and from there I had to take care of everything... And my only way was to use that method..."

"That method? You didn't have to do something illegal!" Chanyeol shouted back.

"Chanyeol-ah. Nothing comes for free in this world. It was either I do it or the company falls. At that time, I was the only person whom all the other employees relied onto. I couldn't let them down... I had to go for the underground methods. And in order to hide this from the world, I erased the company's database... Who knew you would be able to restore them... Would we be able to live in this house today without that decision? And as for you guys, at first I really didn't know what to do with you two. But when I was fully awake, I rushed to come get Eunji and you. But Eunji was already adopted to the U.S. and... I wasn't allowed anymore to track them down." 

Chanyeol remained silent for a bit before he covered his face with a hand. He then looked at his uncle. "Uncle, you still haven't learned the most important thing in life, which differentiate my father from you: It didn't matter if you fail." He showed him a file of old documents. "You don't have to show the world that you failed, but if you do, you work for it from the bottom. My father didn't tell the world that he failed, but he did. And he tried his best to restart from there... For the list of people from there, I will make sure to repay them and cut any links with them starting from now. If it means to restart from there, I will." He glanced at his uncle one last time. "We never asked to live in luxury. All we wanted was a genuine uncle to take care of us." He said and Taejoon closed his eyes, trying to stop tears from falling down.

"Chanyeol-ah. Know that, I love you. I love Eunji. And you two were the greatest blessings I have in my life." Chanyeol walked away.

Was that the feeling you get when you see someone you hold dear to wear a disappointed expression on their face? Because Taejoon had already regretted his past actions. And really, he was happy when he got to spend his time with his nephew and niece. 

The phone from Chanyeol's jacket started to vibrate. "Hello?" He answered the call.

"How was the talk?" Joongki asked and Chanyeol only sighed. 

"Painful." He replied. 


Here is a chapter! Don't worry guys I haven't given up on this fanfics! Thank you all for those who have been here since the Last Wish! And also those who are new here! Please do comment, subscribe and vote! I am trying to put in as much backstory and details as possible in this story compared to the Last Wish! Hope you like it more this way. Next: The Chase. Something is happening with the case that Chanyeol, L.Joe and Joongki are following. Stay tuned for future updates! (You won't need to wait too long, I will be working on it! Hopefully it will be up within a week).