MRI Results

Another Truth

EUNJI POV

I was walking towards the cafeteria with the help of the signs, on the ceilings, when someone pulled my arm kindly. I turned to face the person and it was JR sunbae-nim. I was suprised to see him here since I thought he was going to stay in the staff room and for us to all return. A janitor, with a cart, passed by behind me suddenly hit me lightly, but enough to make me lose balance. I promised myself that I won't wear heels anymore. Though, I need to find some time to buy some shoes first. Jr-shi passed his arm behind my back, to help me keep my balance on those heels. My arm was resting on his and I looked up at him, embarrased about what just happened. He quickly removed his arm and cleared his throat.

"I'm sorry." He said, flustered.

"It's okay. Thank you." I said formally and smiled lightly. "So you decided to come." I said to him, changing the subject since the atmosphere between us was getting strange for some unknown reasons. He looked at me and shook his head. "You can speak to me casually." He said to me first. "Actually I'm here to ask you something... Ani. I'm here to tell you something." He said but then shook his head. "Both." He explained, finally made up his mind.

I looked at him waiting for him to say what was bothering him. "Deh?" I asked, encouraging him to continue. He looked into my eyes. "Don't you recognize me?" He asked suddenly which shocked me. When he asked me that question, I was confused for a long while. Did I really met him before? Sometimes I can really forget about people, not because I don't care but because I just forget. Or sometimes, I just don't notice them. I bite my lips. I really don't recognize him. I shook my head. "Mianhae." I said embarrassed about that. 

"Maybe it's because of my looks." He said determined that I will recognize him. He took out a pair of glasses from his coat and put them on. "How about like this." He asked and he arranged a bit his hair so that his bangs fall on his forehead, making them a bit messy. They were a bit lower than his eyebrows. I stared at him for a while. 

"Jinyoung-shi? The one who asked for help 6 years ago in the library?" I asked surprised. 

He nodded. "You recognized me. I really thought you forgot." He said relieved.

"Ani. It's because you have changed a lot." I replied and looked at him. "You're so different, you look good."

"Thanks to you." He said and smiled. I smiled back at him, happy to meet an old classmate.

I felt like someone were staring at us and I noticed L and Hyoyeon standing there, staring at us like it was a movie or something. Jr looked at where I was looking and noticed them.

"Annyeong. Sorry to bother you guys, but the food are getting cold." She said with a smile. Both Jr and I decided then to go eat. We sat on a table, inside the cafeteria, since the staff room of the Neurosurgery Department was too far, L was sitting besides me, Hyoyeon in front of me and Jr in front of L.

"So you guys know each other? Each one of you?" Hyoyeon asked amazed that we could meet again. 

"Jr-shi was in my class and we talked to each other when I was on my second year in high school, by the end of the year." I replied. 

"I don't recognize him at all. Guess I skipped too much classes." L said embarrassed and laughed. "Don't you remember? You once bullied him." I said and L just remembered. But he turned to me. "Why did you say it out loud?" He asked. Hyoyeon and Jr looked at us. "You bullied him?" Hyoyeon asked. "Let's say we weren't normal." L replied.

I hit him on his ribs as I laughed. "I was totally normal." I said and L just shook his head. "She wasn't. The most unormal." He explained. I then dropped my notebook on the floor, from my pocket, I bent down to pick it up, the chain from my neck fell out of the dress. It was hanging there for a few seconds but Hyoyeon noticed the chain from my neck and the ring from my finger. She surely is fast. 

L who noticed that looked at Hyeyeon who looked back at him. He and I only smiled bitterly, Hyoyeon understood that something bad might have happened. Jr, on his side wondered what happened. He stared at my engagement ring. 

"I'm sorry." She said and bite her lips. I shook my head and smiled at her. "It's ok." I said and continued eating, silently.

AUTHOR POV

Eunji and the rest were walking back to their appartment when they received a message to gather at the reception. They wondered what happened and rushed there, it was around 2:10. While Eunji was running, she noticed someone staring at her, from far, in the hallway. Their eyes met for few seconds but Eunji just passed next to her. 

They all arrived at the reception and a nurse greeted them. The two residents bowed their heads to them as a greeting while the two interns bowed completely at her. "So she is the head of the nurses, she is Song Jinhyun." Chief Shin introduced her to them. "She just returned from her maternity leave." "Annyeonhaseyo." Said warmly the mother. She was in her early 30's. She was wearing a nurse uniform and her hair was tied into a bun. She has light natural look makeup, a bit of pinkish lipstick. "You did well. When I called you guys, you quickly came." The neurosurgeon said and smiled playfully. He was then hit by the nurse for playing with the residents. 

"Araseo. Araseo." Chief Shin said and stopped laughing when this time he received an actual message from the emercency department about a new arrival of a patient, in the B wing in room B5-90, who was in his 40's. A man who got his MRI scanned and suddenly fainted downstairs. The MRI scan showed a strange shade on the brain.

"A new patient is getting transferred. Let's go to work." He said with his serious face. Eunji went behind the counter to prepare the patient's chart and his file. She took the phone and dialed the emergency department. The phone was quickly answered by a man's voice. "Deh?" Eunji heard in the phone.

"Annyeonghaseyo, a male patient is getting transferred to the Neurology Department right now, I would like to have his file." She said and apologized for not introducing herself since she lacked of time. "It's alright." He said. "Deh, wait a moment, I will send you his file now." The man from the mergency department said when he found the man's file.

A few seconds later, luckily the man was quick, he told her that the file was sent. "Gamsahamnida, next time I will introduce myself." She said and hung up. She printed the file and put it on a patient chart, for the room B5-90. 

Meanwhile, L with the head nurse and another nurse, they all went to prepare the room. He ordered for a defibrillator in case the patient is incouscious or just they might need it during the treatment. He was looking at all the materials when Eunji joined him. "Here's the patient's file." She said.

She realized she forgot to tell the emergency department to send her the MRI scan results. She facepalm herself. "I will go get it." She said and L nodded. Even though they might bring it, Eunji felt it was better if she go take it herself. Once again, she swore to herself that she won't wear heels anymore.

On her way out the wing, she saw the patient arriving, but Chief Shin was too focus on the patient to notice her. When they passed by, she ran into a young man, they almost bumped into each other but Eunji and him stopped on time. "I'm sorry." They both said and they recognized each other's voice.

"You're the girl from the phone." He said. "Deh.. Sorry but I need to..." Eunji started to say but the young man held the MRI scan in front of her. "You forgot about this." He said and Eunji thanked him. "Go now before you missed how your chief work." He said and Eunji rushed back to the patient's room. 

Eunji was maybe too busy to have looked at his identification card pass or his name on the silver name plate on his coat, but he saw her name. He just smiled, amused at how good working she is and went back to his own department. 

"Where's the MRI test results?" Chief SHin asked and L looked at the entrance waiting for Eunji to appear. As soon as the chief spoke Eunji arrived and held the results to him. "Thank you." He said, satisfied from her work. Myungsoo patted her shoulder and did a thumbsup. "You were quick." He said. Eunji shook her head. "Not me, but someone who helped me." She said mysteriously and L just stared at her amused.

"1, 2, 3.." Jr and one of the nurse who came from the Emergency Department counted. They lifted up the patient from the bed he was laying on when he was transported here, to another bed from the room he will be staying. Hyoyeon used her flashlight to check the patient's pupil. "The pulse is a bit weak. But the rest are normal."

Joonwoo was calm, he just stayed there, staring at the man. Eunji and L were wondering why isn't anyone moving, even when a patient is unconscious in front of them. Within a few seconds the patient gained his conscious back. The nurses went to take care of the new patients while the rest were discussing about the MRI results.

"The MRI results shows there's actually a shade on the brain. Probably cancer." The chief said and turned to Hyoyeon. "What will you do?" He asked. "We will need to take some blood samples to make some tests to be 100% sure that it is brain tumor." She replied. "When we're sure, we need to know if it is alright to perform a surgical removal surgery." 

The chief nodded. "Good." He said and he quickly ordered the nurses to draw blood and send it to be examinated. "Jr, make sure that the patient's vitals are alright when you're making your round around the rooms." Jr nodded. 

He then suddenly turned to Eunji and L. "Come with me." He said. The three walked out to the reception of the floor, where nurses work. The chief took a look on some patients charts and then turned back to Eunji and L.

"I have observed you guys for the whole morning." He started to say. Eunji and L looked at each other. "You guys are final year residents, even though I asked you to do what intern whould do, you guys didn't complained and you worked really hard. For now, you guys may follow what's wrong with the patients on thid floor instead of drawing blood. But if I see one of you doing a bad job, or made a mistake, you will be treated like an intern." He said and patted their shoulders. "Not bad for the first day. You guys react pretty fast and know what is missing." He said and looked at Eunji and smiled.

"I'm pretty sure you guys were wondering why I wasn't doing anything when the patient was brought here." Joonwoo said, looking at both of them. The two nodded as a response. "Everyone who haven't work with me will always be surprised at my way of work. I can only say that I know what to do." He said, still having a smile on his face, then he walked away. 

L stared at Eunji. "You didn't tell me who helped you." He said. "How did you make it to the emergency department and take the MRI results back here in only 2 minutes?" He asked curiously. "Suprisingly, there was a doctor who brought it here to me." She replied and turned to him. "I don't know his name though." She said and scratched her eyebrow. L nodded and let out a laugh. "He's nice, if it was me I won't help you like that." 

"Yah!" Eunji said and hit him lightly on his arm. "I'm only kidding." He replied and patted lightly on her head. "You're now treating me like a child?" Eunji asked him. "I just saw a father doing this to his son in a drama, just wanted to try." He replied playfully and Eunji just shook her head. "I don't have time to play." She said and walked away with a smile on her face. 

"Annyeong, work hard." She heard L said behind her. She turned to him and he waved at her. "You too and stop playing around." She said.

Around 8:30 PM, Eunji and L were still in the hospital, looking throughoutly on each patient's chart from the wrings in each room to know what's wrong with each one of them. They were in front of the computer and a pile of files when a voice brought them out of their own world. "You guys are done for today. Rest well and come back tomorrow morning, on time. Because it's your first day, you don't need to stay here on duty at night today. You're not on call tonight. But I can't garantee you that tomorrow will be the same." Their supervisor said.

"Neh Dr. Shin." They both said, stood up and bowed at him. "Quit the formality with me." He said and walked away. Before he disappear, he turned to them. "Be careful that I will give you a quizz." He said and smiled playfully.

He then disppeared into another hallway. "He's strange." "But he's a strange doctor who wants to save lives and put us under every circumstances." They both nodded.

They were walking towards the lockers rooms/changing rooms when they saw Hyoyeon and Jr who just drank a cup of coffee. "You guys are leaving?" Hyoyeon asked with a smile. "Deh." Eunji answered.

"See you guys tomorrow." Hyoyeon said and greeted both of them. "See you tomorrow." Jr said to L and then stopped his gaze on Eunji. She just smiled at both of them. "Annyeong, thank you for your work." Eunji said and L greeted them before Eunji and him continued their way down the hallway. 

Hyoyeon turned to Jr. "You have a long way to go. First you need to learn to know more about her." She said and patted his shoulder. "Like knowing her past." She continued. "Come non. Enough of talking. We're on call tonight." Jr only nodded. "I don't bring personal matters into my work." He replied. Hyoyeon just nodded. "I know."

 

Eunji changed back into her own clothes so did L. They both were walking to a bus stop when Eunji received a phone call. "Yeobeoseyo?" 

"Eunji-ah, are you done with your work?" Chanyeol asked. "Neh Oppa, L and I just got out of the hospital." She replied. "You're going home right? Have you 2 eaten?" He asked.

"We're going home now, we will eat when we get home." Eunji replied. "Don't worry about us."

"I have some matters at the company, I will come home a bit later tonight." 

"Araseo." She said and after a while they hang up the call.

The bus came and they went on it. The bus was almost empty, they sat at the back and it was silent at first. 

"We really need our license." Eunji said. "When is our first lesson?" 

"Next week, on Tuesday night." L replied. Eunji nodded. It was silent once again. Eunji and L didn't need to talk too much, they aren't uncomfortable with the silence between them, they knew that they both had a long day, with the years spent together, they understand each other more than anyone else. 

Few seconds later, Eunji fell asleep, her head resting on the window, on her right. 

L'S FLASHBACK (L POV)

I remember clearly was during our first year in London. We both were studying very late until night for our coming exams in a week. After long hours of constant readings and memorization, she fell asleep on the desk. I brought her to her room and closed the lights. I remember it was exactly 2:30 AM. I then went into the kitchen, Latte was also sleeping. When I was cleaning up the table, filled with books, then I heard Eunji breathing with difficulties. I got worried and went into her room.

"No. Please don't." I heard her whisper. "CAP... Woohyun-ah." She called the names in such a broken voice that would give you a pinch in your heart if you could hear it too. Then that is when I realized Eunji was suffering from PTSD. Although it might not be bad, the loss of her good friend and Woohyun had a great impact in her. "It's okay. It's finished." I said and patted her head, to calm her down. It was said that actions showing comfort could definitely calm a person down, when the person is willing to accept it. Especially during sleep. Just like a toddler.

She did not wake up at all, probably because of the exhaustion from studying. She just calmed down and I turned the lights back on. That night, I understood why there was always lights in her apartment.

END OF L'S FLASHBACK

L woke Eunji up when they were almost at their destination. "Thank you for waking me up. You must have stayed awake during the whole time." She said, tired. "It's fine. I'm used to it anyways." He replied. They got out of the bus and walked towards Eunji's house. "How was the day with heels?" L asked, knowing exactly what the answer would be. 

"I won't wear any again. We always need to run around, walk around. It was really tiring and it prevent me to walk that fast or to run." She replied.

"Just wait for the uniform to arrive." L replied and took of his jacket then put it on Eunji's shoulder. "What..."

"It's getting cold." He replied, cutting her off, and his phone started to ring from his pocket. "Hello?" He answered the phone call. 

"What's up?" He heard Dongwoo's voice on the other line. "I just got off from work." L replied. " This Saturday, make sure you can make it to Coffee Pop. Hoya needs our help."

"For what?" L asked.

"He wants to propose to Seukhye." Dongwoo replied. "YAH don't worry!! I didn't tell Seukhye!" He shouted at s, L laughed at this. "Some things never change." L said and was pulled by Eunji. "The house is here." She said and told him to continue on his phone.

"I will make sure to be here." L said.

"Make sure to bring Eunji too. I don't know how to contact her. Be sure to be here around 12:30."

"Araseo." And they hung up.


Here is a chapter hope you enjoyed! Please tell me what you think of this chapter. Next chapter is called: "The Encounter" Please subscribe and vote. Thank you. Btw, Happy New Year!