Prejudices

Another Truth

AUTHOR POV

SEOUL MEDICAL UNIVERSITY

Eunji and every other members of Chief Shin's team and Chief Jang's team have been gathering in front of the front desk of the Main Neurosurgery Department. They wondered why they were called, since usually, both teams are independant of each other. That was when both Chiefs arrived. "Alright, let's cut this conversation short. We have received an order from our boss that both Neurosurgery team will be cooperating. The hospital is slowly going under some changes and soon, no more main or second building. So, do not be surprise if you are working under another Chief's supervision." Dr. Shin explained. "But bear in mind that your direct superisor is still the one you were assigned to." He turned to Chief Jang. "Let us work well together." He said and helf out his hand, which Chief Jang shook, avoiding his eyes.

 

Eunji sneaked into the staff room after she heard from Hyoyeon that L was in the staff room, resting. When she entered the room, L was leaning against the couch, his head resting on the back rest, his arm on his eyes. "He just got out of the operation room." Eunji remembered what Hyoyeon told her earlier. 'He must be exhausted.' She thought to herself while looking down at him. She looked at the clock and she nodded. "I will go for a tour around the blocks." She whispered as she set an alarm on her phone, so she can come back here after and hour and a half. When she was about to go, L grabbed her sleeve. "Don't go." He whispered while an arm was still on his eyes. "Is he dreaming?" Eunji asked out loud and approached him. She stared at his face and he seemed to be still sleeping but she was not sure. Eunji's phone started to ring, so she quickly walked out of the room before she really wake L up. "Oh oppa." She called Chanyeol.

"Oh Eunji-ah, there is a package that arrived in the house. I asked uncle if he had ordered something but he said he didn't. Did you order something? It did not mention to whom it is intended for." He asked and Eunji replied no. "Strange" She commented. "It is only written the house's address, I wonder what's inside." He explained and Eunji found that strange. "Should I open it?" The brother asked and Eunji agreed. After hearing Chanyeol opening the box, after a minute or so, he went back to the phone. "There is nothing." He said. "What? Maybe someone wanted to play somehing because they are too bored." She said and Chanyeol agreed. 

"By the way, I am heading to your hospital tomorrow for a meeting. Want to have lunch together?" He asked. "Sure. Call me when you are done with the meeting." She said and marked up tomorrow's lunchtime. 

 

POLICE STATION

"Found it." Minhyuk whispered under his breath. "Hyung, I found the identity. This man, Yoon MinJoon, 30 years old. After appearing on the next block of the murder scene, we noticed a sudden increase of money in his bank account. Within the past few weeks, he has been receiving calls from an unknown number. I just tracked him down through cameras around the city, he's hiding in a motel, half an hour away from Incheon." Explained Minhyuk and Joongki nodded. 

"Alright team, let's get going!"

"YES SIR!" The whole team shouted and everyone left the department, heading towards their cars.

Arriving at the motel, Joongki dispersed s around the building to prevent the culprit of the Downtown incident from escaping. "Alright Chaser (Seo MinSeok), you will be looking after the parking lot." Joongki ordered through the microphone. Joongki burst into the motel, and the boss only looked at them in mix expressions. Joongki was about to search around the motel, when Leehye found the last room of the motel, with Yoon Min Joon's back jumping out the window. "BOSS!" She shouted quickly following him. She aimed at him but since he was running around, making it impossible for her to shoot. 

The culprit entered a car and quickly started off. 

"Chaser." Joongki called and Minseok was already ready to chase after the escapee. Minseok quickly pressed on the accelerator and chased after the car, where Minjoon was. The rest of the crew got into their cars and started their cars. The next thing you see were 3 cars chasing after one, on the road, with 3 sirens pounding together. "Jungle (Choi JangHyuk), try to stop him from the front." The boss ordered and the third car took a detour on another small street.

Kwon Jaejoon was a college student who was on his way to a nearby flower shop to buy flowers and visit his mothers grave. It was a gloomy day, though he had a smile on his face for he was about to annunce something good to his mom. He was in fact seeing a girl her likes since freshmen year and he had finally gotten a chance to ask her out on casual dates. Not only that, he had received a job proposal from a company, in which he could continue working at when he graduate. It was a day filled with announcements. The flower shop was only a few metres away and Jaejoon only have to cross the street. When the light turned green for him, the next thing that happened was his body getting hit by a car. His unconscious body fell on the ground with a big thud sound. While the car lost control of sudden shock, hit a pole located on the side of the street, where a kindergarten class was taking a walk.

 

SEOUL MEDICAL UNIVERSITY (EMERGENCY DEPARTMENT)

"What is the stuation?" Mark asked seeing the children around the department. "The kids luckily were saved from the big shock of the car, since the pole stopped it. Another victim of the car accident has been sent to the first unit room." Explained a nurse. "Anyone in the Neurosurgery Department coming?" He asked and just at the same time, he saw Eunji. "Dr. Park, this way." He called and the two headed towards the first trauma unit room. 

"What's the situation?" Asked Mark who took out the flashlight. The pupils of the patient was uneven. "The pressure keeps dropping and the patient has been unconscious since the accident." 

"Dr. Tuen, another patient just arrived in the next unit room."

"I will go." Eunji said and Mark nodded. "I fear that this is an epidural hemorrhage. Send him for a CT scan. Verify the availability of theatres, and another person should contact the patient's gaurdians. I want results as soon as possible. Go." He said and everyone executed their jobs. Mark headed to the next room and Eunji has just sent the patient for a CT scan. "Contact his relatives. Find out if anyone from the Neurosurgery Department that is available for surgery. Quick." She said and when she straighten up her back, Mark just entered the unit room. The two looked at each other. 

"Epidural Hemorrhage?" They both asked at the same time. They knew that they are dealing with the same problem. Now all they have to do is wait for the CT scan results and in their own way try to . The scans would allow them to see if there is a trauma in the brain. In case the patient has a brain trauma, chances for table death are more than 50%.

Song Minhye was a first year intern that has recently transferred to the Neurosurgery Department, under the supervising of Professor Jang. As soon as the department received a call from the Emergency Department, Dr. Kang sent her to get the patient's chart. "DOCTOR! MY SON! What about my Jaejoon?!" A middle-aged woman called and the nurse brought her away while another ran into an unit room. 

"Poor woman." Commented a passerby of the Emergency Room. "The patient in there, Yoon Minjoon was brought here after getting hit by a suspect of the Downtown killing incident." 

"Excuse me, do you think Dr. Park have a moment?" Asked another voice. Joongki was in the lobby and was impatiently waiting to get details of the situation. Eunji came out of the room and went to the counter. "Has any of the scans come ut yet?" Asked Eunji and the nurse from the counter quickly went to see if they were ready. 

"How's the situation?" Joongki asked. 

"Not good. Both are waiting for the CT scans and depending on the results, we would know. I can't garantee anything." She said and Joongki nodded. 

"Dr. Park, they are on their way." The nurse said. "Bring it to Dr. Tuen and me as soon as they have been sent. Where is the Neurosergery team member?" She asked and looked around before seeing Minhye standing there. "You are under Dr. Jang." She said and Minhye nodded. "Come in." She said and they both went back into the room. Dr. Tuen just went back to Jaejoon who had his blood pressure drop even more. "Alright, the CT scan are coming. Do you know if your Chef is here yet? Dr. Shin is in a surgery now." She said and decided to call Hyoyeon.

"Minhye-shi, please stay here, I will call my senior." The intern nodded and Eunji stepped out to make a phone call to Hyoyeon and JR. A minute later, a nurse came in with the CT scan. "Here is Yoon Minjoon's CT scan." She handed it to Minhye who took it out and held it under the light. 

"Nurse Lee!" Called someone else outside the room. "Could you please give it to Dr. Park? Thank you." She said and the nurse had to head back out again.

Eunji came back and asked for the CT scan. Minhye stood there holding it firmly and Eunji turned to her. "Minhye-shi. We can't lose anymore time." She said with a firm voice and seeing the intern not even budging, she took the CT scan from her hand. After staring it for a while, she headed to the section between this unit room and Jaejoon's, where Mark was. 

"Dr. Tuen, this patient here has no brain trauma." Hyoyeon arrived, out of breath, after getting out of her own surgery. 

"Alright, bring him first into the theatre. Mine got some complications, we have to contact his guardians." Mark came into the unit room to help to push the patient out the unit room with the Hyoyeon and Eunji, when suddenly Minhye stopped them. 

"Doctor..." She called and the BP of the patient started dropping again. Hyoyeon confusedly looked at her junior Eunji who eyed her to proceed, telling her she will take care of it. Eunji stepped behind and stopped Minhye while Hyoyeon brought the patient away. "What are you doing?" Asked Eunji firmly.

"Sunbae-nim, this patient you decided to save is the same one who caused the one lying besides this room, about to die. He is the suspect of that killing in Downtown." The intern explained and Eunji sighed. "Minhye-shi, we are not in a court here. If we look at every patient's background every time we are saving someone, many would have died by now. Keep your views to yourself and be neutral. The police will do the justice part, we will do what we can to save a patient's life. If you continue to be like this, even the student won't be able to last a minute more before his mom is back." She said and went back to Jaejoon's room unit.

Mark and Eunji explained the whole situation to the mother of the victim and asked if she was willing to take the risk and perform surgery on her son, although, the chance of surviving is less than 40%. There is a chance that the trauma in the brain might not be that complaicated to treat but there also be a chance where the situation is so risky that as soon as the brain is opened, blood accumulated there would come out rushing, making it impossible to close it back. Either ways, the patient will only end up dying, paralyzed or in coma for the rest of his life.

The mother began sobbing so loudly that Eunji began to comfort the mother. 

Sometimes, the worst thing us doctors would do is nothing.