Untitled

Another Truth

Eunji entered the house and from the windows, watched Mark driving away. 'What is that?' She asked herself and she went up to her room for a long hot shower. She came out after 30 minutes and was drying her hair with her towel, when she once again got lost in her own thoughts. 'She thought back at earlier's incident... with herself, how she noticed the faint pouding sound of her heart, that is faster than normal. "This is really getting troublesome... What is suddenly wrong with me? He is only being a great co-worker and friend..." She told herself outloud, in disapointment. "Pull yourelf together." She old herself and went to bed. 

Mark arrived at his apartment and went to sit on the couch, letting out an tired sigh, but still managed to smile to himself. 

 

Seoul Medical University (Neurosurgery Department)

Eunji walked to the main entrance of the department when a nurse announced to her that a patient was getting transfered from the emergency department. "Dr. Park! A patient is getting tranfered to here right now. They will arrive in few minutes." The nurse said after answering the call. "Deh, there will be someone who will be waiting for you when you will arrive on the floor." The nurse said and hung up. "Call Hyoyeon sunbae or the Chief." Eunji said as she approached the elevator that was coming up.

"What is wrong?" The Chief asked as he arrived at the same time as the elevator. Mark came out of it and was surprised that Eunji was here for a second but the patient was more important than his questions. "This is an emergency patient diagnosed with a spinal cord injury." He said and held out the MRI results in his hand. As the patient was brought to a room nearby, L joined them. "There are herniated disk that is compressing the spine." Dr Shin said. "We will have to perform surgery as soon as possible before it will become something long-term." He said as simply as possible to the patient who just regained consciousness. 

He was taking short breaths from the pain in his back, however, he is unable to sit up or move the lower body. "Can I only take medications?" He asked. "You can but it won't help you move. In your case, a surgery is the best treatment. Not to scare you, but if this continues, even if you decide to perform surgery later, it won't help you." The Chief continued to explain and the patient thought for a while. "We will only remove some bones fractures and everything that is causing you pain. You will then be able to sit up without having pain."

".... I will do it." He said. "We will do it tomorrow." The Chief said to a nurse and stopped in front of the residents. "Hyoyeon will be my first assistant, how about you two joining too?" He asked as Eunji and L looked at each other happily. "Deh!" They both said and bowed. "Go get ready." He told them before he walked out of the room as the patient was getting transfered to an operation room.

 

Eunji was drinking her coffee on her way back from the community lobby, where patients could go to hang out with other patients and socialize. Then she noticed the children in the little room learning how to fold origami, and the one teaching them was Mark. Seeing the little girl who gave one to her before, she simply watched, and a while later made eye contact with Mark who was inside. He waved at her and children turned to her. Eunji bowed her head, apologizing for interrupting their class. Before she walled away, Mark ran out to come up to her. “Dr. Park, why don’t you join us?” He asked and Eunji thought about the offer and smiled. “Count me in.” She said and joined them. 

“Everyone, this is Dr. Park Eunji, she works in the Neurosurgery Department.” Mark said and everyone applauded. Eunji bowed her head and Mark simply watched her with an amused expression. “Is  Dr. Noona good in folding papers?” Asked one of the children in the room and Eunji uneasily explained that thechildren here are probably better than she is, but she would help. 

“So few weeks ago, the theme was “Thankfulness”, how about this week?” Mark asked and no one replied, not sure about what to really say. “How about our Dr. Park, any idea?” 

“How about... perseverance?” She said and everyone looked at each other. “No matter from what angle I look at, you guys are the symbol of perseverance.” She said and smiled. The children were touched by her words and so the theme had been decided.

At the end, Mark and Eunji remained behind to clean up. “I did not know you were here on your free time.” Eunji commented and Mark turned to her. “I happened to drop by one day and decided to start this.” He replied and continued to clean up. “I received one origami from one of the children, it really touched my heart when I received it.” She said and gave him a heartfelt smile. “Thank you.” She said and as they simply looked at each other, their pager started to beep. Like that, both of them have been called back to their responsibilities.

 

Chanyeol was sitting in his car with L.Joe by his sides and while L.Joe and him were keeping an eye on Kwon Sanggyu, Eunji’s brother seemed to be a little distracted. “Hyung, what is wrong?” L.Joe asked his partner, friend and boss. “Something’s worrying me.” He replied carefully, while his eyes never left its target. “What is?” 

“Everything is: this case, Kwon Sanggyu, the company’s files... and mails that I have been receiving lately. I am pretty sure Joongki mentioned it once, and I brought it up to him once, yet, it kept reoccurring. And I am afraid that all of these are linked together... or might not. That’s what I am thinking about.” He turned to him. “You’re the only one I am telling this to. You better bring this to your grave.”

”Do you trust me that much?” Chanyeol laughed at those words.

”L.Joe, you and I have been working together since Eunji left. Do I trust you? Hell yes, or else why would I leave my coffee shop to you when I am not here?” He asked and playfully hit him on his shoulder and smiled, in his thoughts again. “You do everything for the sale of my sister, in the past, now... maybe not in the future?” He said and both laughed. 

“Hyung, you know I will always be there for you and Eunji. Don’t worry, even if I have to die, you can trust me.”

”I know.”

While Eunji was away for last several years, L.Joe and Chanyeol were the ones who remained deeply attached to Eunji, and constantly worried about her well-being. While the others slowly moved on, making their past a cherished memory within them, Chanyeol and L.Joe held each other accountable and worked alongside until now. Even if Chanyeol was the successor of the family’s business, there was still a lot that he still does not know about, and the coffee shop he opened is a breathing room for him, and all the others who worked there. For L.Joe, it was his way of spending his time, pther than thinking about his days as a Death Note member, but also, finally doing something he never would thought he would be doing: working in a coffeeshop where people could perform and sing. When he was young, he thought being in a “gang” fighting others would be enough, but it was not, it only lasted for a while before each of them matured. And Chanyeol and L.Joe connected on this point. 

 

*Ring* [the next day]

Eunji flinched at the sound of the phone ringing and after turning back and forth on her bed, she sat up and went down in the living room to pick up the phone. “Hello, you have called the Park family.” She said, half-asleep. She slept an hour ago, after thinking too much, and she was still very tired. “Hello?” She said again and the line was cut. “What is that...?” She asked herself and did not pay attention to it, then went back to her room. She dragged her steps and let herself fall on the matress, in her room plunged in darkness, and before she fell asleep again, she turned to stare at the ceiling. “There was a faint sound of sirens.” She told herself. “Of... an ambulance.” She sighed. “Whatever, I will tell brother about it later.” Eunji had been having mostly night shofts lately and so during the day, she slept. 

*Ring*

This time it was her cellphone ringing, she took a look at the screen that lit up, the only source of light of the room: L was calling. She sat up on her bed and took the call. “Myungsoo.” She answered and you could hear him letting out a laugh, sorry to have waken her up. “Now that you are awake, have lunch with me.” Eunji looked at the time: 12:57PM. “Where do you want me to go?” She asked and stretched out her arms. 

“Have you eaten yet? When was the last time you had a meal?” He asked. Eunji remained silent for a short moment. “Yah Park Eunji, you better come out and eat a full meal. Right now. I will send you the address.” L said and hang up. 

 

L was in his car when he called Eunji. After he was done with the call, he got ready to leave the parking lot, and that was when, as he backed up, someone appeared behind his car, out of nowhere. The next thing you know is she fell down on the ground. Without hesitation, L got out of his car and went to see if she was alright. “Are you alright?” He asked with concerns since he was the one who backed up. “I am sorry.” The girl said and tried to pick up her books scattered around the ground and papers, as she clumsily looked for something else. As L helped her pick up her stuff, she held onto his wrist. “Excuse me, I think... I lost my contact lenses, and my glasses are in my car, can you help me out?” She asked and L sighed, not really having a choice since he was the one who caused the trouble. He looked at the time and sent a quick text to Eunji.

L helped the girl up and asked where she parked her car. He noticed how her books and papers were in her arms which bothered him. He told her to wait a bit before he went back into his car and took out a bag. "Use this." He said and asked for her keys. She looked at him confusedly, seeing his hand reached out to her. "You don't look like you know where you parked your car. I will press on the panic button to find it." He said and she held her keys to him. 

The car was parked a little further than he expected and so he had to walk around the parking lot for a bit before actually finding the car. He held the glasses to her and before he left, in a hurry, she pulled him back. "I am looking for the main offices of the hospital, do you happen to know which floor it is on?" She asked and L turned to her. He still did not know why he was here, he had done what he had to to help her out and now he was late. "Which department are you looking for?"

"I actually am a transferee for the next term..."

"2nd floor on your left."

With that L made way for her to continue her way and when she was out of sight, he went into his car.

***

Eunji was sitting at a table waiting for L when she heard voices getting louder and louder and hearing the final words: “Fine then let’s call the engagement off!” A voice that she definitely recognized. Seukhye’s.