I Have Been Waiting for You to Call

Another Truth

L wa rushing to the restaurant where Eunji was waiting for him already. He didn’t know that the young woman from earlier needed that much of help. He ended up being late rather than being the one waiting for Eunji. He arrived at the place and noticed her chasing after Seulhy, which Hoya quickly followed, flustered. “Seulhye-ah! I didnt mean it that way! Stop being stubborn and let me finish.” He said and Seulhye turned and replied: “Right I am this stubborn, don’t deal with me if you don’t want to.” She said and pulled Eunji away with her.

L stopped his friend mid-way and asked about what was happening, and while still following Seulkhye, he explained the whole situation. Hoya admitted that he simply got overtaken by his tiredness. In fact, they haven't seen each other for weeks now because both of them were busy with their own schedules, and because of that, both Seukhye and him were really sensitive about that. Although, he knew he should've restrained himself from bursting... yet a tired human loses his temper quite easily huh. 

"Anyway, let's put out the fire before it really burns out your engagement." L suggested and before he could even start to look for Seukhye and Eunji who disappeared among the people in front of them, a bunch of ballons flew into the sky, which people, for some were amazed at the colourful sight, and others who had watched the news yesterday night from Yeon District, around 15 minutes drive from Seoul, were hesitant about the situation. The citizens shouted in chaos. 

"Help!!"

"Yah, that clown there is crazy!"

"Soowan-ah!!"

There were people crouching on the ground, holding their burnt wounds, others were stabbed in their abdomen. Hoya, in panic, searched for his fiance, and saw her few metres away, crouching onto the ground. He ran straight up to her. She was so scared that tears quickly fell down her cheeks.

Seukhye held onto Hoya and cried out, "Honey.... Eunji... Eunji... is chasing after the culprit! And she is wounded!"

Upon hearing those words, L heard a motorcycle's motor roaring, several metres away, and a short, yet brave figure appeared in front of him, and before he could shouted to Eunji to look out, she seemed to have gotten hit by the motorcycle. 

"Park Eunji!" L yelled out, both in panic and anger. How can this woman be so fearless?! It wouldn't hurt to be a little scared of things. He ran to her directions. She was motionless for a few seconds before she stood up again, dusting off the dirt and residue of ballons from her clothing. She was coughing, for running so fast, and since it has been a while since she had done any of these intensive running. 

She turned to L, who yelled earlier, and before she spoke, he dropped in front of her. "Park Eunji." He called out in disbelief. He really thought his heart will burst right now. If he wasn't healthy, and if he hadn't known her for this long, he woud've had a right now.

"He escaped.... I heard read the news from Yeon District. This might greatly help the team there to solve the case...." Before she could continue on with her plans, like a detective, L stopped her and looked at the wound on her arm, with a burnt bloody wound. 

Eunji's eyes dropped to the wound on her arm that was now starting to burn, "Ah..." She said and her eyes patrolled the scene in front of her.

Compared to some, she was considered lucky because she only rceived the residue of that acid, and since she wasn't completely under the ballons, her wounds weren't deep. Yet, the amount of acid contained in the ballons was anough to burn some people's face. It was painful to watch.

This created a big title in the news. In all broadcasts stations, all screens displayed the news on them. Seould will officially collaborate with Yeon District to catch the culprit. Everyone in the Emergency Room were expected to collaborate with the police and no exception. Eunji, of course being one of the witnesses was happy to be able to collaborate, despite Joongki's reproaching eyes. 

"Park Eunji. How many times do I need to tell you? Do your doctors' stuff and not chasing after criminals. If you're that interested in investigations, why don't you switch careers?" Joongki lectured her while, like she was still a teenager, had her head lowered. 

Joongki exactly knew why she was this way. She was raised to bring justice for people, because her father (adoptive) had always taught her how to help people and to never let the bad run away, since at that times, he expected her to be a detective, yet who knew she would've chosen to be a doctor. Quite a loss for the police force...

"Oppa..." She pleaded and before Joongki could yell more at her, a young detective, even younger than Joongki, around his late 20's, approached him.

The detective from Yeon District introduced himself, "Detective Song am I right?" Joongki turned to face the young detective. "Lee Gikwang. Leader of the Severe Crime Unit of Yeon District."

Joonki smiled, "I have heard of you. It is nice to meet you." Like that, Eunji got off the hook, since Joongki was being brought away by work. 

Eunji silently let out a sigh and then her attention turned back to the hospital scene. The Emergency Room at their hospital was currently in a chaotic state, and while more urgent patients were getting treated, she simply wrapped a piece of cloth onto her wound to stop the light bleeding but it was mainly to prevent the air to contaminate her wounds, which could lead to infection. 

"Seukhye-ah... Let's not fight ever again. Let's not bring in breaking the engagement or divorce not now, not in the future. I can't bear to lose you... I have spent my life with you and I am planning to continue." Hoya explained and took her hand while Seukhye's eyes started to get teary. "I will work harder, harder than anything, to only bring happiness in your life. I will change my way of doing things. I have learned my lesson." He explained. 

Seukhye who started to cry nodded and held him tight into her arms, resting her head on his chest at the bench by the Emergency Room while Eunji and L were inside. Right. Life was too fragile to let emotions carry them away. 

L, who didn't have any wounds, was receiving an interrogation. And before Eunji would start helping out, being the doctor she was, someone pulled her behind, subtlely without anyone else noticing. They arrived at the staircase and Mark helped Eunji to sit down.

Seeing him, she was a little flustered by the situation, "You..." She mentally slapped herself for letting emotions getting to her. She didn't know why he was here today, since he was supposed to be off today like her.

"I came in today because I heard there was a huge incident that happened in Downtown. I was called in and I really... didn't expect to see you here." He explained and pulled out disinfectant and bandages. The sleeve of her shirt had already been torn since it was dirtied when she rolled down the ground. She decided to tear the sleeves off since everytime she moved, it would touch her wound which was extremely uncomfortable for her, until she wrapped a clean cloth on it.

Mark silently cleaned the wound up, which luckily wasn't too deep. Then after he was done, nicely wrapped it in bandages. He lifted up his eyes to catch Eunji staring at him. She turned away clearing . He smiled amusingly before he tilted his head, "Dr. Park... Eunji." He called. She turned to him at the sudden words coming out from him. Dr. Tuen who had always been very formal and professional with her. "When will you call me so I get your number too?" He asked and Eunji was taken a back.

"Yes?" She asked in confusion. Mark didn't explain further and simply ruffled her hair before he got back to work.

Before he left, he turned around, "Or should I simply look through your profile at the HR office?" He asked and smiled warmly before he was gone. 

Eunji sat there, blinking a few times, before she used her hand to fan her lightly red cheeks to cool herself down and to calm her heartbeats. Was he making a move on her? Well, no matter what that is, Eunji felt a little happier than she was. Her mood was lifted and once calmed down, she walked out of the staircase, and ran into Joongki nose to nose. 

"So this is where our troublemaker is hiding." He commented. "Come, Detective Lee from Yeon District need your testimony since you're the only one who dared to try to catch the culprit and had the closest contact with him." Joongki explained and noticed the nicely treated wound on her arm, which he unnoticeable let out a relieved sigh. 

The detective was standing beside a woman, probably his colleague, and would glance to her directions time to times... maybe they were more than colleagues. "Since Yoonkwon is sick, you'll be taking over his job today. Your chance to learn." He said and she nodded, with a pokerface, while her eyes was sparkling with happiness and curiosity. 

"Detective Lee, this is our crucial witness. Park Eunji." 

Gikwang nodded his head, as a greeting, "This is my teammate, Im Yoona, our team's Criminal Psychologist." He briefly introduced. "She recently created a profile for our criminal and we really want to have enough details as possible concerning the culprit. 

---

After getting lectured by Joongki and Chanyeol back home, Eunji was finally able to take some rest. She entered her room and when she grabbed onto her phone, while laying down, she scrolled down to her contacts and clicked on Mark's name. She thought for a bit before she decided to send him a message, to thank him for today. Last time she dated, a very long while ago, it happened very... naturally? She didn't need to do much but now, it was different. The person was different and she was different. She sat up and gathered her courage, which she found harder to do than catcing culprits, and texted, Thank you for your help today. 

And quickly after, Mark replied, No problem. Find me if you need anything. And before Eunji had to figure how to keep the conversation going, he continued, Now that we both have each other's number, what do you think of getting a meal with me, in our next day off?

Eunji, I would love that, I will then be looking forward for it.

Mark, Same here. I will let you know about the details.

Eunji actually realizes she had no idea on Mark's background. She also realized how it had been a while since she ever thought of these stuff, which made her feel more human. Because who doesn't date?!

Chanyeol was about to knocked on Eunji's door when he noticed it was already half-opened and that she was acting weird. He called, "Eunji." And his sister turned to him. "What are you doing? You look... joyful. Something good happened?" He asked glancing at her phone in her hands. She shookher head and cleared her thorat, back to her usual composure. 

"Brother... I know what your face mean. Don't worry, from now on, I am going to leave the police do their job whereas myself, will do my business, like a normal citizen." She said and remembered the scene in downtown today where mothers had been wounded, children... it was enough to make her realized how Joongki and Chanyeol would feel. She was indeed brought up in an environment where she was able to develop a lot of her skills like combat, fighting, yet, she was different now, her hands weren't used to catch culprits, but to perform surgeries. This was the path she chose and she needed to step away from other people's jobs.

She smiled and Chanyeol simply needed to hear those words. His sister was still maturing, have seen a lot from a young age, but there were still a lot for her to learn about. He was sometimes impatient, but it won't lead him anywhere feeling that way. All he needed to do was remind her of certain stuff and be b her side when she needed. 

 

 

Here is a chapter after so long. Enjoy!! PS.: Lee Gikwang and Yoona's characters weren't randomly added (they are part of my story Happiness' End) :P.