The OR

Another Truth

Mark and Eunji went into the Emergency Department and met with the nurses. “Kang SoMin, 55 years old, was brought to the E.R. 4 hours prior now, explained to experience severe pain in her chest.” Explained the Head nurse of the E.R., Moon Jungha. “While awaiting for her chest scan, when it was her turn, she just never showed up, and we noticed the nurse who came with her was knocked unconscious to the floor.” Explained the nurse from the scanning department. “Alright Jungha-noona, please contact the security. Wootaek, Dr. Park and I will be quickly looking around.” Mark ordered and all of them scattered to do what they have to do. "Code Yellow in the Emergency Room." A voice announced in the speakers throughout the hospital; then quickly after, another alarming one: Code silver, E.R. patient with a weapon was present in the Neurosurgery Department. Eunji was searching around by the entrance when she received a call from her sunbae, Hyoyeon. 

"Yes, senior." She answered the call. "Eunji-ah, come by the Neurosurgery Department, we have the missing patient from the E.R here, holding Chief Shin as hostage." She quikly explained in the phone call. "What? I will be there in a few." She said and they both hung up. She quickly headed towards the elevators.

NEUROSURGERY DEPARTMENT

"Miss, please calm down. Put down your weapon and let's talk about it shall we not?" Hyoyeon tried to convinced the unstable patient. Nurses and the remaining residents and interns locked down the place, to prevent any visitors or patients to approach the scene. "Shut it up! How dare you guys protect this bastard?! Do you know behind this righteous doctor that you see everyday hides a heartless doctor who killed my husband?!" She screamed and the needle fro the syringe scratch the neck of the Chief. At the meantime, Nurse Song joined the chaos with Chief Jang who had to be here since he was also one of the responsible here. "5 years ago... My husband... had a severe accident, and while in the E.R. we waited a bit before this doctor came, and he promised to save him. He did! Yet, he came out without doing anything else, soon right after, my husband left me!" She screamed and before she could stab the needle into his neck, Chief Jang's voice stopped her. And it was his words that actually stopped her.

"Mrs. Kang right?" He asked and the patient turned to Chief Jang, to everyone’s surprise. “I was there on that day too, in this hospital, not on this floor, or the OR, but in a hospital's room. I was luckily not the one ill, but my dear precious little sister, that jerk's wife, was. And while she was dying, he was away... in the O.R. that night, not only did he lose a patient, but also his wife. Do you not think it is unfair how he could in keeping people's lives?" He asked and Eunji and Mark finally successfully arrived. "Yes. It is unfair, and it is us who suffer the most from his actions!" The woman screamed and Hyoyeon and the few around really wondered if Chief Jang was trying to get Joonwoo (Chief Shin) killed. 

"Do you know why I hated him so much? While he was away, my sister was still smiling happily and told me how proud she was of him. She did not had anyone else than him and myself, yet, seemed like this was not enough, she had to painfully exit this world, without her husband by her side. I would never forget the moment where she told me these words which drove this hatred inside me to want to kill him myself: 'Brother, no matter how others might think, Joonwoo was, is and will be the best husband of this world. His dedication to his patients was what attracted me to him. While my hope in this world is already up, I am happy that Joonwoo is able to let other patients taste it while I am gone.' But for me he only looked heartless and careless." He continued. 

Eunji and Mark, along with Hyoyeon and the patient, quietly listened. "And after years, he still never spoke a word about that night. No guilt. Nothing. And what triggered me was what his good friend told me. Not triggering me to anger, but to agony...."

"Miss, your husband left happily." Jinhyun, Chief Shin's good friend of the Neurosurgery Department said. "I was present that day, and you can have my word, the second before he stepped into that theater, I swear Dr. Shin was not in the right state to perform a surgery. But because I know him, that I can guarantee you that the momen he would step into the O.R., he will do his best to save your husband. And he was about to. Until your husband held onto his hand tightly, pleading to let him go."

"Doctor, can I be selfish this once? I think I will go before my wife does... It is hard to try to save a dying person, I myself very aware of my situation and condition, let's not try to play with it, rather, I want to be able to see my wife and hold her hand while I can..." 

"Miss, who would better understand the feeling of losing a perosn you cherish the most than you do? To spend the last moment with them, to hold onto them, a smile on their face, all these were taken away from our Chief. He did not get the chance to witness his wife's. Don't you think he suffered enough?" Jinhyun asked.

"Mrs. Kang, doctors face this everyday, Guardians expect us to do miracles. At times, if the patient do not have the will to continue, we cannot do much about it. When this happen, we will have to bear the consequences and the blame. We had, are and will do our best in every surgeries and in every lives put into our hands. Miss, let us both properly look at the man we both spent years hating. Why today? Maybe it is because deep inside us, we already knew the blame was not on him, rather, we refused to completely let the person we cherish go. We still linger in the thought of that night. Somin-shi, if he dies today, it will not change a single thing in the past, and I will lose the opportunity to apologize to him." 

The patient dropped the syringe and started to sob. "Doctor I am so sorry..." She said and Chief Shin patted her shoulder. "I am sorry." He said back to her which caused her to cry more. Everyone surrounding them let out a relieved sigh and Jinhyun turned to Chief Jang. "Finally something acceptable from you. I spent years telling you the truth behind it, but no matter what, you only learn the hard way." She commented and Chief Jang scoffed. "Right." He said and she went to give him a tight hug. "Honey, you can cry. I know your sister was dear to you." 

"Oh... right. Jinhyun-eonni is Chief Jang's wife." Hyoyeon muttered to herself, almost being caught off-guard at the sight of the scene in front of her. Mark went to help the nurses bring Somin back into the E.R., and everything slowly went back to normal. That day was a day where few finally understood and witnessed the reason for the estrangement between the Neurosurgery's Chiefs. 

***

She arrived into the first room and Chief Jang was already there. "Prepare for an operation room." He said and put down the patient's chart. The woman in her late 50 have be hospitalized since a few days and Chief Jang have been paying attention to her condition. He have decided to perform a surgery because of the blood vessel in her brain has a very high chance to rupture. The nurse quickly went back to the counter. The Chief saw Eunji who just came. "You'll be helping... and you." He said to Eunji and Jr who just arrived behind her, out of breath. "Brain Aneurysm surgery, the patient have been prepared for this surgery." Jang Minsook symply said.

(Brain aneurysm occurs when blood vessels are too thin or are weakened, which can lead to ruture. If this happened (a vessel ruptured), it leads to bleeding in your brain or , which can cause a brain damage or death.)

"You're going to stay here?" The Chief asked coldly and the two transferees then quickly went to get prepared.

While Eunji and Jr were already in the operation room verifying if everything is fine, the Chief entered the room. "Let's get srated." He said and went behind the patient. "Anesthesia is complete." Said the anesthesiologist. "Scapel." Said Chief Jang and the nurse heanded it to him. "You do it." The Chief said to Jr. "Deh?" He asked confused. "Deh." He then quickly said and took the scapel. "Bovie." Said afterwards the Chef. After a hole have been drilled in the skull, the Chief took his seat back and continued the surgery.

(In the surgery, the method used is the most common one, the clipping method, where after the scalp is opened and the skull is drilled, the surgeon inserts a small metal clip at the base of the aneurysm to prevent any rupture. At the beginning (the part Jr was doing in the surgery), with a scapel (Blade No. 10), we incised the skin until the bone area, afterwrad with a Bovie, we split it, to then placed clips on scalps to prevent blood flooding. Afterwards, the surgeon will be able to do what the surgery was about (clipping method to prevent the aneurysm from rupturing) (what the Chief did on the 2nd part).)

After the long surgery, Eunji and Jr wondered why the Chief suddenly let them into the Operation Room (OR). "Because you guys have proved yourselves, able to react like a doctor." The Chief suddenly said behind them. "I will let you go into the OR woth me. Check your schedules well." He finished before leaving them alone. The two residents blinked a few times before they high fived each other. Despite what happened several hours before, Chief Jang seemed normal. And for the first time, behind the image he had ben giving out among interns, residents and specialists, they finally saw who he really was: a good doctor.


Please do let me know if you like when the operation is described, I have been trying out something new! Let me know your thoughts on this chapter, please do subscribe, vote, comment! Will be trying to update more, and give an end to the story a definite end, no guarantee when but I will! Cheers!

Sources used to write the surgery procedure:

http://www.healthline.com/health/brain-aneurysm-repair#Preparation4

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1890449-technique#c2