The Chase

Another Truth

The house was especially calm and quiet for the following days. Eunji wondered what must have happened between her uncle and her brother that caused them to be so silent. "Is there anything happening between your brother and uncle?" L asked Eunji shrugged. 

"I really don't know... They have been like this since the beginning of the week." She replied with a sigh. "Oh. Had uncle and auntie landed safely?" She asked and L nodded. It was crazy how their life is always shifting. Sometimes, it was tiring to keep up with life. 

"Are you alright?" L asked in case that Eunji was feeling down because of her brother and uncle's situation. She smiled at him and nodded. "Before that you seemed to be having a good time. Something good happened?" He asked and Eunji turned to her best friend, nodding. 

"I'm going to tell you a secret, but... don't tell anyone else yet." L was curious about it and so leaned closer to her. The smell of desinfectant reached his nosils from her hospital's uniform, the same as his. She looked around and smiled at him, confessing, "I think I met someone... Someone I want to date." She told him and L was flustered for a moment, not knowing how to take in this sudden confession. "He's a doctor in this hospital." 

He blinked a few times, and took few seconds to maintain his emotions. "In this hospital?" He asked and himself could notice the slight difference in his tone. She nodded. 

"If tomorrow goes well and it confirms my feelings, I will let you know who it is." She said and put her index on her lips. "Keep it a secret alright?" She said and he smiled, nodding. 

"Yes. Of course, or else wouldn't you kill me for it?" He asked and the two of them laughed. 

Some stuff are never meant to be and will never be. L stared in front of him and smiled to himself. He was very happy that Eunji could finally move onto the chapter in her life. But he was also disappointed that this chapter wasn’t about him. Yet, like any other tomes, he simply wish he could remain by her sides whenever she needed.

“Oh? Sunbae-nim.” Said a voice which he didn’t recognize. L opened his eyes to see that clumsy woman he helped several days ago. He straightened his back and nodded. ”Are you alright?” She asked and L shrugged. 

”One day.” He muttered and stood up to head back to the Neurosurgery Department. ”I will get going now...” He looked at her ID pass. ”Jung Soo-shi.”

”Krystal.” She corrected him and L nodded his head before he continued on his way. ’Why does he look like the world is ending?’ Krystal thought to herself and shrugged.

NEUROSURGERY DEPARTMENT

"Come on this is not going to work." Jinhyun commented while her husband and Joonwoo both stared at the newly prepared schedule, where both chiefs are scheduled to work along side each other, in rotation. But there was a problem. Both are invited to attend a seminar organized by a known in the Neurosurgical world, Ambrose Neil Laurent Kim. But they were still scheduled for tht day's shifts. Both cannot be absent because there wouldn't be any seniors present on that day, since Hyoyeon and Jr weren't working during their shift, but the one before. 

Chief Shin and Jang both remained silent. "You go. I will keep watch here." Joonwoo suggested and both remained silent again. 

"You know that both of you really want to go." Jinhyun commented and that was when Hyoyeon and Eunji came onto the floor. They eyed the head nurse, wondering what was happening. Hyoyeon went to check the schedule and let out a laugh. She was very pleased about the improving relationship of the two chiefs. 

"I will keep watch here, on Saturday." Hyoyeon said and the Chiefs turned to her. "Yes, I will be doing more than 12 hours." She replied, answering their question. 

"I will treat you well Hyoyeon!" Chief Shin shouted and made a thumb up to Chief Jang rolled his eyes. 

"Now you can all go back to work?" Asked the head nurse, and they all cleared their throat, getting back to their work, their patrol on both buildings. 

On the way to the lobby, waiting for L, Eunji walked past the E.R. Department and glanced in there to see if Mark was still in there. “Sunbae! Sunbae!” She heard Mark’s voice calling out from behind. He was chasing down his senior, his friend also Chief of his Department. “Why has the schedule been changed for tomorrow?” He asked and his senior let out a sigh, sorry for his friend.

“Mark, you know how understaffed we are at the E.R., Joon’s currently at the Birth ward with his wife, Dr. Fan is still on vacation, and Dr. Go will not be transferred until Monday. I need you here tomorrow.” Mark shoulders dropped and nodded. Among all the doctors at the E.R. Mark was the one who was the most helpful and lenient with his schedule. He rarely asked for any days off, rarely had any blockout dates, rarely anything. But this time, there was really no one around the E.R. “Thank you. I know how you wanted tomorrow off but you will need to postpone whatever you have tomorrow for another day.” He nodded again silently. With a pat on the shoulder, Chief Cho JeonJae proceed to the meeting he was about to attend. 

Mark let out a sigh and look at the schedule again. He couldn’t blame anyone. And he couldn’t find anyone to take his shift. He was simply stuck in here tomorrow. Gosh. He was ready to tell her everything... and now he will have to gather his courage again. 

“I guess I have been bailed tomorrow.” He heard and he quickly turned around, straightening his back. Eunji smiled and assured him, “I understand. Your patients need you.” And of course, Eunji was a little disappointed but the patients that needed help override her feelings. 

PARK HOUSEHOLD 

Chanyeol was in his room, completely leaning against his chair at the desk staring at the ceiling. The house was especially quiet, he couldn’t hear a single sound around the house, and the noises from outside, cars passing by, the wind everything was louder in silence. The tiktok sound from his watch was the only sound in the room. He sighed. For he past week, he had been throwing contracts away and dealing with all those... trash of the company. And now that all unwanted people were chased, Chanyeol still was bothered by the simple fact that the source of today’s Park Corp came from illegal activities. And no matter how hard he try to get rid of everything today, the company’s name will be forever stained.

And he was got in this dilemma where he wanted to close down the business and to not close down because of the thousands of employees under the care of the Corporation. “Chanyeol.” He heard his uncle call him. He straightened himself on his seat. “Can we have a talk?” The nephew didn’t answer but didn’t chase his uncle away either. “I messed up. I wasn’t as determined and perseverant as your father, my brother. But nevertheless, I have regretted and haven’t been in touch with any of the underground people since that one time. From the day I have taken you into my care, I have been truly genuine with you and I meant every words I told you and Eunji.” He said and seeing the silence treatment his nephew was still giving him, he turned to walk away.

”Uncle.” He called. Taejoon turned to him. “Let’s do everything right and let go of all overseas stocks the Park Corp. owns.” 

“I went to a lawyer today. From now, you’re the one holding the largest amount of stock of our company with my amount combined, making you the decision-maker of it. Apart from that, I will be undergoing legal counseling, to make everything right and accept the consequences of my actions, even if it means to expose the ones behind.”

”Uncle.” He called again. “I’m not asking you to go to courts... Let’s do it together and right. Even if we have to lose half of the Park Corp, father won’t blame us.” He said and he came up to his uncle. After all, they were a family. And they can’t drop one off if one doesn’t follow another. Taejoon’s case wasn’t this complicated and the most, he would be going into jail for a few months and that would be fine. Everyone needs to fall one day, and the uncle’s day simply happened this year.What worried Chanyeol the most however is this one name on the list... that didn't exist.

When Eunji arrived, Chanyeol and her uncle were drinking tea together, "Seems like the storm has passed." She commented and joined her little family at the living room. She was offered a cup of tea by her uncle. "So what is the topic of discussion?" She asked.

"Moving houses." Chanyeol said and Eunji turned to her brother in surprise. "We don't need this huge place. A condo is good enough don't you think?" He asked and Taejoon nodded. 

"Well, this is so sudden." Eunji commented nonchalantly. Her working schedule was all over the place, she was simply in this house when she had a day off, it didn't really matter where she lived and either the house was big or not. Although she had to admit everything was a little weird, but she didn't pay too much attention to it, telling herself that she might be overthinking everything. Definitely it was something she wanted to stop herself from doing. Sometimes it was better to not question too much.

XX STREET

Minhyuk was sitting on the driver's seat, his eyes focused in front of him, while his car was parked behind the shadow of a tree on the side walk. There hasn't been anything happening around Kwon Sanggyu. It has been a while since he has gotten out of jail and everything was still peaceful on this side... Which was why it was worrisome. They said that the calmer it is, the deadlier and scarier the storm would be. 

Someone knocked on the window and Minhyuk turned and saw L.Joe waving once at him as a greeting. The two of them had been taking turns to take watch, and definitely, both of them were extremely tired up to now. L.Joe went up to the front passenger seat and let out an exhausted sigh. "Hyung's uncle decided to have the matters settled legally." He said. 

"Does Eunji know about that?"

"Nope."

Both of them were silent for a bit. They both understood the consequences of hiding stuff from Eunji. Yet, it was something they all agreed on. "What about Boss?" Asked L.Joe. Minhyuk let out a sigh. 

"Occupied on both sides. Cases are given to Hyung, when he was already busy enough." They both sighed.

Chanyeol had been running around, dealing with the company matters, legal settlements with contracts, then having to mentally deal with his uncle and this Kwon Sanggyu case. Joongki have been working a lot, trying to handle the cases he was in charged of, and also digging everywhere for clues and tracking all those people on that list. Minhyuk used the excuse of investigating to come out of the office and alternate with L.Joe who kept watch of Kwon Sanggyu, then having to go back to the Coffee Shop. 

All of them were tired. L.Joe took a sip of the coffee in the car and grimaced at the taste of it. It was definitely not as good as the ones they sold at their coffee shop, where coffee beans are grinded freshly everyday. This one was an instant coffee. He turned to see a young man walked past their car, without paying attention to them, and casually headed to the appartment complex.

SATURDAY

Eunji was peacefully sleeping in her room, while the house was simply plunged into a quiet yet calming silence. In fact, on the same night, yesterday, Chanyeol had already put up their house to be sold and they would be moving out soon. A huge sum of donation, amounted to more than $5M had been given out anonymously under the name of Yu, to different communities, and the donation wasn’t the only one. Earlier this morning, Taejoon left to see his lawyer and was ready to settle his legal issues and accept whatever the verdict was. 

Chanyeol was busy in his room, on the phone with Joongki who, he knew, had been working days and nights to find out the people on the list of people. “Hyung.” He called. 

“No use. I will have Minhyuk look into this and try to track that name... The person, compared to JJH, is much more miticulous and careful. The more you want to track, the easier you can get lost in the world of information... and it is all over the place.”

“And all we could do is wait for our dear friend.” He replied and Joongki had no other choices but to agree with him. Kwon Sanggyu was definitely their last resource, the last person who could ever help them advance a step in their investigation. But then again, if Sanggyu contacted them, it meant an accident was about to happen, and there would definitely be blood and deadly damages. 

Eunji woke up later than usual, and when she did, she noticed how late she slept... It was almost lunchtime when she woke up. Then her phone started to ring. It was her lovely friend Seukhye. “Hello...” She said in a sleepy voice. 

“You have a day off today right? How about we hang out together after you try on a few dresses with me?” 

The wedding dresses that Seukhye tried on definitely were all good choices. The soon-to-be bride have already reserved the wedding venue, made a guests list, but for herself, she still haven’t chosen a dress yet. “Eunji-ah, which one do you like the most?” She asked.

”I really liked the 3rd one you tried, it shows some skin but not too much, definitely a gracious dress.” She replied and Seukhye nodded there was still 8months left, they werent in a hurry. Eunji seemed to be thinking about something since earlier, and so Seukhye decided to talk over it during lunch. 

The afternoon, after lunchtime but also before dinnertime, date was in a very calm and soothing western restaurant that served Italian food. After the waiter had taken their order and the menu away, Seukhye didn’t hesitate to jump right into the subject. “Park Eunji.” She called and her friend lifted up her eyes. “What is wrong? I can definitely tell that something’s bothering you.” 

Eunji was silent for a bit before she cleared , “Actually... There is this man..”

Seukhye’s lips shaped into an “o”. “Who is it?” She asked curiously. Who was that person who melted the coldness of this friend of hers’ heart? Since Woohyun’s death, Eunji was focused on working on her own self-wellness and focused on her studies. It was definitely a shock for Seukhye now to hear this from her friend!

”He is a doctor from the hospital...”

”OOOoo!” Seukhye said in amazement. “What is his name? What kind of doctor is he? Why him?” She asked all at once. Eunji looked at her friend and let out a flustered laugh for her friend’s enthusiasm.

”Hmm...” She thought, “His name is Mark, a doctor in the Emergency Department. I think it is really spending time with him.  We don’t need to be reminded of our past but simply focus on the present. I found myself slowly falling for him after having him when I needed help, when I was sad and when I was happy.” 

Seukhye couldn’t help but feel bad for L, yet, when it comes to love nothing could be forced. And on that, she was with Eunji. Always. “I am happy that you have finally found someone with whom you can finally start a new chapter in your life.” The friend said. “Then why is your expression this... worried? He doesn’t return the feelings? Or is it.... he is married?” 

Eunji blinked a few times at her friend’s assumptions. She really didn’t know how she was able to listen to all of these for the past years. “Seukhye...” Eunji called, flustered. “I... actually am not really sure.” She said in realization. She actually didn’t know how Mark felt! “We were suppose to meet up today, but he had to take a shift today. I was going to tell him.” She explained.

”Omo...” Seukhye said. “I haven’t seen you for a bit and all these happened.” She commented. “Then why don’t you go see him?” She suggested.

”Would he feel like... he is seeing me too much?” She asked and her friend disagreed. 

“Why would he? If you miss this chance to tell him, after deciding on it, it would be harder to bring it out again. Besides, if he finds it annoying, then you will have your answer. Better to move on than to stay in ignorance don’t you think?” 

Eunji nodded then smiled. “Thank you Seukhye-ah. I know what to do.” She said. “Can you drive me after to the hospital?” She asked and her friend nodded proudly. 

XX Street

Joongki and Chanyeol were on the way to meet with Minhyuk and L.Joe when Chanyeol’s phone started to ring. An unknown Caller ID. Joongki was the one driving and wondered who was calling. “Hello?” Chanyeol answered the call after hesitating for a few seconds.

Just at the same time his partner answered his call, Joongki also received a call from Minhyuk. “Yes?”

”Boss. Kwon Sanggyu is in danger...” And before J could explain the situation any further, a loud sound was heard. And the call ended. 

“Kwon Sanggyu.” Chanyeol called a few times but the line had already been cut. Without having to explain the situation, Joongki put on his sirens and pressed firmly on the accelerator. 

SEOUL MEDICAL UNIVERSITY 

Eunji pondered around the main entrance of the hospital for quite a while, wondering if she should really go in or not. ‘Aye Park Eunji, just do it and get it done!’ She told herself and took out her phone. Tapped on her screen a fee times still in hesitation before messaging Mark’s number.

’Mark, when you’re free give me a call.’ She texted and put her phone away in a hurry, letting out a sigh. She went to the window right next to the entrance, her back facing the lobby, and waited. She knew Mark could definitely be busy, but she didn’t have anything to do anyways. 

She was tapping her shoes together, her hands were tucked under her thighs, while her eyes were focused at the cars coming in and out, and the ambulances’ flashing sirens. The sky was starting to darkened at 6:30PM, because of the winter season. 

EMERGENCY DEPARTMENT

Mark just got out of a case where the patient was having a seizure, it had been a lottle messy but now everything had finally calmed down. He went to the reception where a nurse was and told her about the next steps to be taken for the patient he had just taken care of. Afterwards, he walked out of the E.R. to take a light break. When he took out his phone, the first thing he saw was the text messages he got from Eunji. Should he call her now, he wondered.

He wondered for a moment before he dialed her number. It rang a few times, and the ringtone came from the lobby, which he didn't fail to miss. He followed the ringtone and noticed someone's back facing him. And he didn't need to wonder, he knew who she was. He didn't know why she was here, but it made him happy that she did.

"Hello... Dr. Tuen?" She answered the call and Mark let out a chuckle.

"Dr. Park, is there something wrong or did you messaged me because you missed me?" He teased and walked up to her. "Where are you? Did you waited for my call for a long time?"

"Oh... I'm in a cafe nearby still... I will drop by soon."

"Eunji-ah, I didn't know the lobby of the hospital became a cafe." He said behind her and Eunji mentally cursed herself for it. That was so embarassing! She turned and forced a smile.

"Hello, Dr. Tuen... You found me." She said and she swore that at that moment, she wanted to dig a hole and hide herself. Yet, Mark didn't seem to mind about her little lie.

"What brought you here?" He asked. "Since our plans had been cancelled tonight, how about you give some of your time to me now?" He asked and Eunji nodded. Well, she needed to talk to him anyways before she won't find the courage anymore. "Here, come with me, I know a place where we can talk privately." He said and gently pulled her with him.

They arrived at a terrasse on the 6th floor, and definitely, it provided a nice view of the night and the hospital's surroundings. Eunji smiled, for it was the first time that she came onto this terrasse. There was a light cold winter breeze that brushed against their faces. "Mark." She called and turned to him seriously. "From this moment, hear me out before I lose the courage to say whatever I am about to say." She said and cleared . "I... For some times now, I found myself acting crazy. I laugh, I suddenly have the urge to shout happily, I get excited in meeting someone, I get nervous, I get flustered, and the most of all, my heart couldn't seem to stop beating loudly when I am around him. Before I go on... I want to let you know that I have been previously engaged and... despite that, before I realize that I had already move on from my past... I had already fallen in love with you.." She said. "I am not expecting you to do anything..." Before she started to say other things again, Mark pulled her tohim for a tight hug.

"Eunji." He called. "It doesn't matter to me whether you dated, engaged or married. What is important for me is today and tomorrow. I am very happy that you're the first one to tell me about your feelings... When I was the one who fell for you first." He said and he released her to look at her into the eyes. "You told me about your feelings, now it is my turn to finish it." He said. "Park Eunji, I love you. Would you date me?" He asked and Eunji let out a laugh. "What are you laughing for?" He asked, although he wanted to act like he was unhappy from her reaction, his face wore a smile.

"...It is really unexpected..." She said and continued to laugh it off. "I was so nervous..." She said.

"Did you really think your feelings weren't returned?" He asked and she nodded. He stood there in disbelief. "I guess I need to be more direct with my feelings." He said and took a step towards Eunji, closing the distance between them. "Shouldn't you answer my question?" He asked and leaned closer to her. Eunji stopped laughing, but still with a smile, she tiptoed and landed a kiss on Mark's lips before he did it to his surprise. He passed an arm around her waist and returned her kiss.

Their romantic moment was quickly ended when their phones both started to ring. They broke away from each other to answer their call. The smile on their faces were quickly replaced by a frown. "Dr. Tuen, 5 patients have been brought to the E.R., two of them seemed to have a deep wound on their skull, yet no one is unconscious... One of them is Detective Song." 

"Dr. Park, your brother have been brought to the Emergency Room."


Here is the long awaited chapter! Sorry, I didn't put it up earlier, to make it up, here is a longer chapter! Next up: "A Young Man". Hope you enjoy this chapter! Do comment, subscribe and vote!