Deh Sunbae-nim?

Another Truth

AUTHOR POV

Eunji and L needed to go take their coat but since they were already 30 minutes late, they could not go there. They could not afford another minute late. They did not even know where their lockers are anyway. They were running towards the Neurosurgery Department, and when they got there, 4 other residents were standing there, with a chief in front them. His name was Jang MinSook, another chef-professor from the Neurosurgery Department. Eunji and L bowed to them, that was the first thing they did by reflexes. "You're extremely late." The Chief said. "Not by a minute or two, but by 36 minutes and 28 seconds, before you both was to step into this department. "We're really sorry." They both said without straighten themselves up. "We got into an accident and we needed to stay there to helped those in need." L tried to explain. "The victim needed a emergency surgery on place. We couldn't leave him alone." He continued under his breath. 

"This is your excuse?" He asked, coldly. "You cannot afford of being late, as a doctor, you have the patients' lives within your hands! Not even a single second is acceptable! Not in any departments! Especially not here in Neurosurgery!" He shouted. Eunji and L bite their lips. They were afraid that he was the one they will follow. If that was the case, they surely do not have a good impression on their first day of work. "You are a final year resident, do you think you are allowed to perform surgeries without the supervision of your chief, or a professional?" The chief asked. "What will you do if the victim died? You will become killers! Both of you! Having the knowledge of a doctor does not mean you would be able to do it, that is why there is residency and interships." 

"Alright Chief Jang, let us not make a big deal." A soothing voice, within all those screaming, asked behind them. Eunji and L were still bowing, afraid to get scold to have stood up. But they seemed to know this voice. The man who just entered lowered himself to their level to look at both of them. "Stand up." He ordered and smiled. They recognized the man. He was the one who directed them and gave them a lift earlier. They hesitated and did as he said. 

"You guys didn't do anything wrong. If you guys left, to rather be on time, than saving someone who was going to die if he is not treated on time, I would have kicked you out right now." He told them. "You did well." He smiled once again to them and patted their shoulders. Chief Shin JoonWoo then turned to Chief Jang. "They are only residents how can you tell them that they did good?" Chief Jang asked, a kind of challenge to Chief Shin.

"They were following what I told them to do. They performed really well. First year, second year, final year residents, interns, are all here to learn. Everyday is a new experience for them. A patient always come before anythig else. I am sure that even if there are patients here who are in need, we have 2 groups of neurosurgeons, ready to take cases. Right?" The new resident's supervisor said. "After 6 months , they need to decide which department they want to get specialised into, in 6 months, in the Neurosurgery Department, starting today, they need to learn as much as they can." He explained calmly, still with a charming smile on his face.

Somehow, for some reasons, unknown, Chief Jang seemed to hate Joonwoo, the other chief of the building. The residents around them both looked at them, not knowing what to do. Those who were already here kept staring in front of them. 

"The rules..." Chief Jang wanted to say but Joonwoo cut in. "The rules are dead and humans are alive. They were invented by humans and are meant to be broken. By us." He said and shrugged. "They are under my supervising, any responsibilties on them will be mine too. Why don't we just start showing them around and what to do now? Explaining what work will they be doing? Especially, you have 2 interns with you." He asked and held out his hand to conclude the conversation by making peace. 

Chief Jang stared at him for a while and started to walk away. Chief Shin only smiled but then stopped him. It was not because he didn't shook his hand. "You didn't present yourself and neither did they." He said calmly.

Chief Jang took a deep breath and turned to them with a smiling face. "Chief Shin, you're only on your fourth month of work, you should make less enemies." He whispered. "I am still your senior." He continued.

"My name is Jang Minsook. Call me Chief Jang." The chief only present himself. Eunji and L bowed to him. "My name is Kim Myungsoo. Call me L." L said. "And I am Park Eunji." Eunji introduced herself simply. A resident who have been looking at the floor since the beginning lifted up his head and looked at Eunji, for a long while, after she presented herself. Without blinking, nor looking away.

Eunji felt someone was watching her then met his gaze and then looked away before it became awkward. "And I am Shin Joonwoo. The one who will supervise you for 6 months." Chief Shin said to Eunji and L. 

The other chief walked away with his interns and residents.

"Don't mind him, he is like that." Chief Shin said and smiled sadly. He turned to Eunji and L, serious again. "You were pretty good in that surgery, you guys worked really good together. I'm surprised. Continue to work hard and you will be able to perform more surgeries under my supervision. So prove me you're good enough." He told them. Eunji and L did a thumbs up to each other. "These are your sunbaes." 

"Annyeong, Kim HyoYeon imnida." A girl presented herself, with a warm smile. Eunji and L bowed to her. "Final year specialist, before officially becoming a Neurosurgeon."

"I'm Park Jinyoung. Call me JR. I'm on my first yeat specialist." The second doctor introduced himself. Eunji and L bowed to him.

"Even though he has the same age as you guys like you can see, he's still your sunbae, so be formal." Chief Shin said. He clapped his hand. "Now let's begin our tour." 

They walked into the first building that they called A. "There's 5 wings here, A,B,C,D and E. Chief Jang is often in charged of the second building, which is the VIP building, the private sector of the hospital." He started to explain. "For today, you must take care of the patient's medical file and history whenever there's one tranferred." He looked around. "You must verify that everything is correct, that they did their tests, especially their blood test, for both new patients and old ones. They help us a lot, either it is to know what's wrong with a patient, or only a simple test. It's the very first thing you will do this morning before you start something else. I don't want any mistakes. It has to be written clearly on the patient's chart when you have done it. When a patient is tranferred, I don't want you to wait for my orders before you start to react. I want both of you to prepare everything. I want the room's chart, including the patient's file with informations filled, if they already have one file in this hospital, good for you, or start a new file if they don't. You need to ask them if they have pain or not, to each patients. If they replied yes, I want to know where, specifically. If a patient needs help, either it's a minor thing or emergency, or when you see something strange in a patient, the first thing you will ever do is to contact me, call me, if you can't join me, ask the help of your sunbaes. you're not going to act alone. You must verify that every machines are performing perfectly, that there are no fluid leaking out of the IV tubes or needles. Whenever it rings, you're the ones who will go see what's wrong. Not only the nurses. In neurosurgery, there is no time to rest, it is important to always be on alert because sometimes, the problem may be beyond than what we think it is. Each time we receive a patient, for example, we need to be precise and think throughoutly before we conclude the case to decide either they will stay hospitalised or not; or before we give treatment. And it takes time, all of these are done because of your work. Those are interns' work, but for me, they are all our responsibilities. " He explained and looked at Eunji and L.

The man, walking in front of them with 4 residents, was transformed into a different person than the one he was a while ago. The man who had a charming smile and a smirk on his face, the one who had a simple and playful personnalities have become a professionnal doctor, specialised into the neurology field. A serious man, focused on his work. A caring person to the patients.

They have been walking through the hallways leading them into each wings, with rooms in them. They all enterred a room in the C wing. Chief Shin took a patient's chart and looked throughoutly carefully. "You must always keep in touch with every patients no matter what. Everyday at 9:00 Am, at 3:00 PM, and at 6:00 PM, we will make a tour around the rooms. You can leave the hospital whenever I said so, I don't care about your schedule. For now, I am done, if I remember anything, I will tell you." He said without leaving the patient's chart.

He then turned to the patient. "Good morning Mr. Lee. How are you feeling today?" He asked. "Good morning Dr. Shin, you are a bit late today." "There was some matters on my way here." He explained simply. "It is surely because you are helping someone." The patient replied with a smile. "I'm feeling good today." "Neh, rest well, I will come back in the afternoon." He said and put down the patient's chart. He smiled at the patient. He thought for a while before he nodded. 

They walked to another hallway. "Patients are always transferred by using this hallway. This is the main one. I don't think I need to remind you but if there's a fire or any other emergency codes, you must take care of the patients first. These stairs, the exit E4, will bring us to the garden. There are normally 6 emergency doors in each hallways sometimes 4. We are the last to go out, no matter what. We must give our best to save each one of them. Those who can walk by themselves will be guided by the nurses normally. We have greater responsabilities in those who couldn't, either because they are crippled or in coma or only he/she just received surgery. We will need to use the hallway S17, it will lead us to the intense care unit. You all know what to keep or not, so act fast." They continued their walk. "And if you turn right and then left, you will find my office. Don't worry, I'm not going to be in there often. I'm often in one of the wings or the reception of this floor, when you get out of the elevators, where the head of the chief and sometimes security videos are." 

"This is where our operations are done, you will all be able to go in don't worry. If there's an emergency code and we're in a process of doing a surgery, we are not going to give up on the patient. Depending on the code, on the surgery, on the patient, of the time left in the surgery, we need to think carefully what to do. I don't want anyone to leave a patient on the operation table to save their own life." He said and they continued their way to visit around.

"The Identification Card, carry it with you all the time, in times of lockouts, this becomes handy. Also, it allows you to access some rooms, such as the material rooms, and whatever you could think of."

After that, their chief have done talking, they had work assigned to them. The residents had to draw blood from the patients this morning and have to arrange time for each patients to have a CT scan and a MRI scan, then write a report for every patients. They will also need to do everything written on the chart, before they can do anything else. Normally, it these are done by the intern. Chief Shin didn't have any, even they have intern's work, Eunji and L didn't complain.

"Go to work. Hyoyeon, Jr, for the morning, stay with the newbies. Help them. After lunch, we will see." He said and the specialists nodded. "And you two may go to change clothes now." The man returned to his normal self again. "I will be close by, looking at you work. By the way, you receive a signal or a call from me, you are going to be in front of me in 5 minutes, either you will have to run up the stairs from the cafeteria or from the second building. Understood? Have a nice morning." He said and walked away.

The two went to their lockers thanks to the other two resident's guidance. Hyoyeon looked at Eunji. "I have a dress, you can use it." She said. "No it's fine. I can wear the uniform."

"Your uniform didn't arrived yet, come on. Don't worry. Use this dress." Hyoyeon said and smiled warmly to her. Eunji smiled lightly back. 

She changed into the dress and Hyoyeon nodded. "It's pretty nice on you." She commented. "I need to go to work now, if you have any questions come ask me." She said and left. Eunji put on her white coat and looked at her ID card from this hospital. She nodded and smiled. 

Eunji got out of the room and L who just got out, was waiting for her. Eunji and Myungsoo needed to go draw blood. They got seperated to different rooms from the wings. "See you at lunch then." L said and Eunji nodded. He walked to the opposite direction but then called her name. "You look pretty." He said and smiled.

"Thanks." Eunji said and L laughed before they continued on their own way.

Meanwhile, JR went to Hyoyeon. "Can you switch.. with me?" He asked. Hyoyeon looked at him. "You're strange. Normally you don't ask anything like that." She stopped talking and stared at him. "Araseo. Go ahead. I promised Eunji to help her if she asked for help you need to help her." She said after a while and JR smiled. 

"Of course." He said with a wide smile on his face.

"So the main reason is her.." Hyoyeon . "Don't flirt too much."

"I'm not flirting." He said and thanked her before he went to Wing D. He went to a patient and was looking at his chart when he saw Eunji entering the room. She went to a patient, besides the one he was checking. In a room, there is normally 6 beds or 4 beds. "Annyeonghaseyo." She said to the patient with a light warm smile and the patient greeted her back. "I will draw some blood now. May I?" She asked politely and the man held out his arm. "Thank you." She said and went to took a plastic tube, a hypodermic needle and a vacuum tube. She took out a cotton and a bottle of desinfectant. "I will count to three." Eunji explained to the patient as she applied desinfectant on the arm. She counted to three and drew the blood easily from the vein. After she was done, she smiled. "Thank you very much." She said. "You're such a nice and polite girl." The patient complimented her and Eunji bowed to him before she continued to do her work. She asked if he had any pain and wrote down on the chart. She have done everything that Chief Shin asked for and did it for every patients.

She went to another room when she finished the first room. There was around 10-12 rooms in each wings. Jr also finished his work on his side and followed Eunji to the next room. 'She forgot about me right?' He thought as he put the patient's chart back at it place. Eunji was drawing blood on her side, and the patients seems to like her a lot, maybe because of her warmth. Eunji lifted up her eyes and saw JR staring at her. He quickly looked away and continued his work. Eunji found him weird, but continued to do her work. She has a lot to do on her first day, luckily, around 1:40 PM, L and her finished drawing blood and making appointments for a MRI and CT scan. They went to the staff room and sat on the couch. 

They were silently staring at the ceiling when L got up. "I will buy some food, rest a bit, I will be back soon." He said and left the staff room. "You..." But L didn't stay to listen. He knew Eunji will tell him to stay and that he doesn't need to do that. Eunji sighed. She went to pour some water. She was slowly drinking it when she saw few residents and two interns, from the neurosurgery department, of the second building, enter the room. She politely greeted at them. They greeted her back, except for one. Jr and Hyoyeon entered the room and joined Eunji. It was Hyoyeon who decided to go to her, since she knew Jr was too shy to do that.

"Annyeong." She said. Eunji greeted her back. "Mind us sitting with you?" 

"Ani. Please take a seat." She said. Hyoyeon and Jr sat in front of her. Jr was holding a paper cup and couldn't stop bitting it. "What are you doing alone here?" Hyoyeon asked.

"I'm waiting for L... the other resident who came with me today. He went to buy food." She replied, looking up. "Are you guys kind of dating?" She asked curiously. Jr was afraid that she was getting too curious and asking too much questions but the question she just asked made him want to hear the answer.

"We're good friends. We have been together since high school. Since we have been transferred to everywhere together for our stages, we kind got used to stay together." Eunji explained to her directly. "People always misunderstand."

"That's good to hear." She said. She turned to Jr, and saw him bitting his paper cup. "Did you guys talk to each other? Sorry, I asked Jr to switch with me since there's a patient who had a problem in Aile B."

Eunji made eye contact with Jr. She shook her head. "We haven't talk." She said. Hyoyeon glared subtlely at Jr. She looked at her watch. "I will go buy some food too. Jr stay here and keep company with Eunji. I will bring you food." Jr wanted to stop her from doing that but he couldn't say anything. He watched Hyoyeon leaving and then turned to him and did a thumbup when Eunji couldn't see her.

Jr turned to Eunji. "Have you known each other for a long time?" Eunji asked about Hyoyeon and him. He shook his head. "For about 2 years." She nodded. 'Did she forget about me?' Jr thought and stared at her looking at her watch. "Maybe I should find L. He's taking too much time. Do you want to come too?" She asked and stood up.

He shook his head. "Ok then. I will be back." She said and walked out of the room. Jr sighed. He mind slapped himself. "Yah Park Jinyoung. Gather your courage." He said to himself and he stood up. He ran out of the room and chased after Eunji. But as soon as he saw her, she already entered the elevator. The door closed and he couldn't reach it. He knew she was going to the cafeteria. He decided to take the stairs. He ran as fast as possible. 

When he reached the first floor, he saw Eunji heading to the cafeteria with the help of the signs. He thanked that there's people taking the elevator on each floor. He ran to her then he grabbed her arm kindly and she turned to him, suprised. A janitor passed by with a cart full of materials and bags who lightly hit Eunji which made her lost her balance with those heels she was wearing.

'I won't wear these ever again.' She told herself. Jr quickly helped her by passing his arm behind her back and pulled her towards him, to prevent Eunji to fall. "Thank you." She said and Jr quickly removed his arm. "So you decided to come?" She asked with a light smile. 

"Actually I'm here to ask you something...Ani." He stopped. "To tell you something." He shook his head. "Both." He finally said, when he made up his mind.

Meanwhile, Myungsoo and Hyoyeon were getting out of the cafeteria. Hyoyeon prevented L to ruined this moment, where Jr finally decided to make the first move. Hyoyeon grinned, amused by Jr's actions, while L was curious about what the sunbae wanted.


Here's a chapter, I hope you enjoyed. There's a lot of description, tell me if I should shorten the chapters, for those who think they are too long. Finally, Jr have gathered his courage to go see Eunji! Next chapter named "MRI results", still an introduction of the story. Please tell me what you think and please do vote and subscribe! Thank you!